Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

I Love my Tornado S30

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:32 PM
jgillum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Love my Tornado S30

Here is a short vid of her first time humming

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTycW9ufo6Y[/youtube]
Old 12-29-2010, 06:36 PM
jgillum

Default RE: I Love my Tornado S30

Here's another vid of her after break in. I have a new glow plug on the way and plan to tune her a little soon. She seems to be running a little rich to me while in an idle, maybe a bit to much oil splatter.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0jrsvND61c[/youtube]
Old 12-29-2010, 06:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks like she is running pretty good! maybe a tad rich on the low-speed needle, but still pretty close to perfect.
its awsome when a nitro is tuned right. glad to hear you are happy with your redcat.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:06 PM
jgillum

Yea I could tell she was a bit rich, seemed to be spittin a little too much oil but its still a new motor so I didnt figure it would hurt to let it run a little rich for a few tanks then lean it up a little.
More companies should follow suit with RedCat and offer us affordable, quality products that a regular joe can own and enjoy.

I plan to slowly buy a cpl of these to have around for weekend races with the girl friend and nephews.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:07 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: jgillum

Yea I could tell she was a bit rich, seemed to be spittin a little too much oil but its still a new motor so I didnt figure it would hurt to let it run a little rich for a few tanks then lean it up a little.
More companies should follow suit with RedCat and offer us affordable, quality products that a regular joe can own and enjoy.

I plan to slowly buy a cpl of these to have around for weekend races with the girl friend and nephews.
you should give the volcano epx pro or the caldera 10e a chance. they are just about as fast out of the box as a nitro, since they have brushless motors.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 PM
jgillum

Electric I am into, I just had to start with a Nitro because my nephew currently has an on road nitro and wanted to play in parking lots and such.

I started about 3 years ago with electric airplanes and have been building my own planes ever since out of foam.

Then I slowly moved on to add Heli's into the mix. Well one, lol.

While I was doing all this flying my nephew who is "23" is telling me how much fun these nitro cars are, but the prices were just unreal.

Until I found Redcat..... Iwill check out a few vids of the cars you mentioned I like that hummmmm of a brushless myself, lol.

But it is great to just fill the tank and drive, it makes me wanna build a Nitro Plane with a .18 sh motor ha ha ha .
Old 12-30-2010, 06:16 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: jgillum

Electric I am into, I just had to start with a Nitro because my nephew currently has an on road nitro and wanted to play in parking lots and such.

I started about 3 years ago with electric airplanes and have been building my own planes ever since out of foam.

Then I slowly moved on to add Heli's into the mix. Well one, lol.

While I was doing all this flying my nephew who is ''23'' is telling me how much fun these nitro cars are, but the prices were just unreal.

Until I found Redcat..... I will check out a few vids of the cars you mentioned I like that hummmmm of a brushless myself, lol.

But it is great to just fill the tank and drive, it makes me wanna build a Nitro Plane with a .18 sh motor ha ha ha .
i find its nice to have both. sometimes i only have 1/2 an hour to spare to do RC. thats a good day to take out my brushless stuff. just plug in the battery and go. no after run stuff to do when im done either. just slap the car back on its shelf and plug the battery into the charger.
but there is no denying the awsome sound of a nitro motor!

i have the epx pros, but i use a 2s lipo in them. just as fast as most nitros, faster than some on the acceleration.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:13 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you are enjoying you new hobby.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:22 AM
jgillum

Thank You for the 20% fuel. Iordered from amazon the other day and shipping was pretty fast. Thanks again.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:43 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Your welcome please leave feedback. Thanks for being a customer.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:52 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Sent you a PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:09 AM
jgillum

I left a little feedback for ya. I will give ya a shot on all my parts from here on out. I like to get my things asap so I can play.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:12 AM
rchobbyunlimited

LOL ok cool thanks.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:00 PM
jgillum

Well the rain has held off all day here so I decided to strap the Garmin on my Tornado and see what her top speed is.

After making 3 or 4 warm up laps I gave her all she had for a few passes and she topped out at 44.6mph. Not too bad imo at this point.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:57 PM
psuweasel

sounds pretty good

By the way, redcat has really impressed me so far.

I can't wait to buy 1 for my self so my son and I can do some bashing together.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:32 PM
jgillum

Here's a short on board video jus running around in the street a little.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU5hzODxClo[/youtube]

After this vid I started to tune the motor a bit, Leaned both low and high ends just a little

since they were both running really rich. Seems to have waay more spunk now on the low end for sure.

Now Ijust need to strap the GPS on again and see if top speed increased any.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:42 PM
jgillum

OK so Ihave been looking at the UPGRADABLE PARTS FOR 1/10 SCALE NITRO sheet that came with my car and I'd love to have a set of aluminum wheels and such but dont see where to order and cant find the part numbers online. ?
Any Help?

Part Number # 106673
Aluminum Front Wheel Rim-2P
(buggy)
Old 12-31-2010, 03:45 PM
jgillum

Just jumping a little, Broke a rear dogbone in the process. Ran the piss out of it b4 having to buy anything for it. So far so good.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqnzABpYEVU[/youtube]
Old 01-05-2011, 03:34 PM
cswtornado

The tornado's NOT an offroad, despite what they say. It's like an Jeep Grand Cherokee - it CAN go offroad... but it doesn't mean you SHOULD. Once you take it offroad and jumping, you start totally tearing things to shreds. I have spent $250 in a year just in parts.
I decided to screw that and bought a Savage. Now THAT'S a real off road truck. Bashed it and the Tornado for 2 days all day each, my friend was running the Tornado and I was running the Savage. The Tornado broke
-Antenna
-A-Arms (2)
-2 shocks (leaking, caps off)
-2 bent shock towers ($20 each)
-Ripped a tire (how??)
-Dogbone twisted

I didn't even crash it. We just jumped it off small stuff and landed it mostly. We had to quit after the first day because it was totalled. And I'm NOT buying new parts. I'm just using epoxy and duct tape and from now on using it as an on-road car with lower gearing.

The Savage came away from the two day bash session (we went longer and harder on it) damage free. And we did some serious crashes too.

Redcats get good speed, but durability as an off roader is questionable. I suggust not jumping it. Seriously.

As for upgrades get the RPM bumper (its somewhere in this forum on how to install) and only things that increase durability. If you insist on running offroad you're going to be needing the $$$ for parts.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:41 PM
cswtornado

Your Tornado broke on that little jump. Savages and real off roaders can go WAY higher than this and be fine. The beginning is the only part worth watching in this video btw
Like 40 feet + high.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qmy0budRY4[/youtube]
I'm not trying to discourage you, rather I'm trying to get you to not make the same mistake I did. Don't run it offroad!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:53 PM
jgillum

Ithink it was more of a bad part kinda deal!. Other than that dog bone Ihave givin this Tornado Hell with nothing broken.

Kart wheels on the street , end over end flips, with nothing but a slightly bent rear shock tower.

Not saying your wrong at all but it has been a tough buggy for me.

I am in the process of building a track on my farm. Just planning as of now but closer to spring I will break ground.

I like Redcat products, they are cheap enough I can afford a few parts here and there. Not saying things cant go bad on me

but knock on wood so far so good except that dogbone. I plan to upgrade to the Steel CVD's soon so no more dogbone problems Ihope.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:21 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

i love it when someone compares a savage to some redcat. a savage IS a better truck, and its also a much more EXPENSIVE truck!.
a tornado runs you $180, a savage is like $400! thats a big price difference. not really fair to compare the 2. one cost twice as much and is a 1/8 monster truck and the tornado is a 1/10 buggy.

i have plenty of fun driving my brushless tornado offroad. yeh, it cant go where a savage could, but you dont buy a buggy to do a monster trucks job!

some prices for parts you said you were looking for
cvd's $15 a pair.
rear billet alum shock tower(double thickness of the stock one) $15
and i think i found the alum wheels. they are listed as being for the lightning, but the tornado and lightning use the same size rim.
i linked a pic to them. they only have the blue ones in stock right now. $20 a pair just for the rims.

also, just thought i would mention. the redcat nitros dont have a slipper clutch. so, if you land from a jump with the throttle on, something is likely to break. that may be why your dogbone broke on you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22824.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	1543030  
Old 01-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Redcat_Mike

That is actually just for the lightning. The tornado wheels are different.

We do not currently stock the aluminum tornado wheels as the price point is just too high, and the demand pretty low.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 PM
cswtornado

You do have a point there sportrunner! Sorry, I know it sounded like I was bashing the redcat. They're fun buggies considering the cost, and savages ARE after all $250 more expensive.
The damage I cited did happen, but all the parts were weakened and barely holding on from previous crashes and stuff, and about 75 bucks of the parts must have been spur gears, from human error in being a failure for a gear mesh setter.

I just find that the Tornado's element is on gravel, dirt, or parking lot instead of in the air like an MT. It keeps the costs relative while still being really fun. When I run my Savage, and switch to my Tornado I find that I think something's wrong with teh engine because it's so quiet! (used to a .28) Lols.

I like the Tornado - but people can't go around thinking that the Tornado is $300 MT and driving it that way, that was my problem. Now with all my duct-taped, bent, and epoxied parts, I drive it carefully, and nothing breaks. I'm driving it in my yard, up and down a dirt ditch, and down the street. I guess that's the limit for me. Another reason that I spent that much in parts is because I kept getting runaways because of a dirty switch.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Redcat_Mike

That is actually just for the lightning. The tornado wheels are different.

We do not currently stock the aluminum tornado wheels as the price point is just too high, and the demand pretty low.
thanx for posting that, i thought they were the same size.

is the difference in the wheels width? or maybe the offset?

onroad tires are pretty narrow. but it would seem like they are the same hight and they use the same 12mm hex.