Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

tuned pipe or dual tanks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:08 PM
86mets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuned pipe or dual tanks?

Hello to all,new guyhere. I just pulled the trigger on a MGT 8.0. Now its time to start the upgrades. My first order of business is either a tuned side pipe or the dual tank mod? I don't think I can do both so which one should I choose?. Thanks in advance...John

Old 09-03-2010, 08:58 PM
buttdud1122

Default RE: tuned pipe or dual tanks?

i would say the tuned pipe, ive hear the genesis 7.7 tuned pipe added a lot of power to the 8.0
Old 09-18-2010, 04:52 PM
jermainezey

tuned pipe for more power
Old 09-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

I have dual tanks on mine, and I'd say you're better off going the tuned pipe route instead.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Goatcrapp

Do both! I did - love it.

The CEN7.7 exhaust will sit across the back like stock. It sounds smoother too - although i need to tune mine out especially in the low end... its spitting and popping like crazy - but even with that, it'll flip itself onto its back with wheelies - something it wasn't doing before.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mk25695.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	1509049  
Old 10-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Barber420

If your stock 8.0 wouldn't IMMEDIATELY flip itself over you need to learn how to tune an engine better. The 8.0 needs NO mods to be capeable of this.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:41 AM
Goatcrapp

Why thank you for your helpful and constructive reply!

I realize now that I have been lost without you.

Do your own vastly superior tuning skills make you feel better about yourself when you venture out in the wild, or is that a feeling you reserve only when attempting to mock people online?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Barber420

Well, the OP should know that a properly tuned engine will pop wheelies and flip. If you tell him it won't, and he doesn't yet have much experience with his, he may not know that. Honestly though, learn to tune your engine better. It'll last longer, burn less fuel, and supply you with more power. It is a skill that takes time to learn, but fairly simple. Get someone to show you or watch something on youtube.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:32 PM
xxmgt8.0xx

do both. get a dual exaust
Old 12-30-2010, 05:15 PM
buttdud1122

ORIGINAL: xxmgt8.0xx

do both. get a dual exaust
ya... duel exhausts kind of completely suck... lol, they look cool, maybe sound a little cooler, but there is hardly any backpressure and rob the engine of quite a bit of power
Old 03-22-2011, 05:47 AM
AgentDrewski

So is this genesis 7.7 tuned pipe the best you can buy for a MGT 8.0 or just a good cheap tuned pipe?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Goatcrapp

Don't know if its the best. It made as much difference in the way the 8.0 revs and goes as the team AEupgraded tuned sidepipe did on a friend's 8.0.

If there are better choices out there than these two - you'll have to experiment. There are several aftermarket side pipes that people have installed.

All I can say from my experiences are - its *as good*as the ae upgrade.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:16 PM
purenitro33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dual exhaust is not a tuned pipe, it won't add much in the way of performance as it can't utilize the sonic exhaust pulse due to it's construction. Here is a tuning guide, it's simple and straight forward and will also tune your engine with perfect fuel/air needle settings.

http://www.extremercmods.com/?page=tuning
Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 AM
AgentDrewski

What all do I need for the CEN Pipe install? any other parts from the stock set up to the CEN hop up? Or does it just fit like a glove? Also should I get anything, to help the truck handle the added power?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Goatcrapp

Its a tight fit - and i don't think it'll fit with the stock shocks (fake expansion tubes)

you'll need to cut up the header portion of it and use a strong silicon coupler to tie it together with stock header pipe. I'll see about taking some better pics (its in storage at the moment)

the truck will handle the power.. if anything it feels more like what it *should* feel like...

you'll need to adjust the needles on your carb, obviously.. but that goes without saying.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:43 PM
racingluxury

Originally Posted by Goatcrapp
Its a tight fit - and i don't think it'll fit with the stock shocks (fake expansion tubes)

you'll need to cut up the header portion of it and use a strong silicon coupler to tie it together with stock header pipe. I'll see about taking some better pics (its in storage at the moment)

the truck will handle the power.. if anything it feels more like what it *should* feel like...

you'll need to adjust the needles on your carb, obviously.. but that goes without saying.
Sorry this is an old post but I can't find anything newer. Do you have a picture of this set up with the cen pipe? I just got the cen 7.7 pipe and its huge! Thanks
Old 10-27-2015, 10:43 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by buttdud1122
ya... duel exhausts kind of completely suck... lol, they look cool, maybe sound a little cooler, but there is hardly any backpressure and rob the engine of quite a bit of power
I tend to agree, they don't have enough back pressure to supply the fuel properly and it ends up being a tuning nightmare, like my Jato LOL