IMAC App for Apple and Android Devices

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:31 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IMAC App for Apple and Android Devices

Hi Everyone,

I have completed the IMAC App for Apple devices and have a beta version of the Android App ready for those that wish to try it out

Both are free and use a very clean interface. Both also support all orientations (Portrait and Landscape) except for the Apple app which does not support Landscape on the main screen only, ll other views support both orientations. Both also support the standard gestures like pinch, scroll, etc

So now a little detail about both. I'll start with the Apple version

The app is a universal version and can run on both the iPhone, iPod Touch and works very well on the iPad. Currently, you must be running iOS version 4.2 or higher on any device, though the next update will allow iOS down to 3.2, that way I can still support earlier versions of the iPhone and iPod and still deal with the version that came on the iPad out of the box when it was first released. This app only uses the internet to access the main IMAC website. All other items are included in the app and run right from the device. That means if you are at the field and you do not have internet access, you still will have access to the most current AMA rules, the IMAC contest guidelines and all of the known, including the Alternates. The next update will include a map function that will give you your current location, be searchable for hotel, food, whatever. It will also have some updated documentation that the IMAC BOD just released as well as PDF versions of some of the more helpful tips from the IMAC site such as Peter Goldsmiths excellent and updated trimming suggestions, Contest Director help and I'll also enable printing

You can download the app, as I said for free at the following link (Apples App store) which should open a webpage, then automatically open iTunes to the App itself, if it does not open iTunes, just click the link on the webpage and it will take you to it

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imac-...3674?mt=8&ls=1

OK now for the Android version

The good new is I can support all version of Android from 1.5 to 2.3 (just came out)

I have a beta ready, if you are not accepting Apps except for the Android Marketplace, you will probably not be able to install this one as it is not a signed app. It has been checked out well and I and others have found no bugs or anything bad

This app very similar to the Apple version with one major exception, the PDF files are NOT included, however once you click on the links for each one (The AMA rules, IMAC Guidelines, knowns) then they will download to your device and show in your downloads area. There is no message letting you know the download is complete so you have to watch your screen to see that the download is done. I'm sorry, I'm not much of an Android person so I cannot explain how to tell the download is done beyond what I have already said. I do know that if you do not have an application already installed to read PDF files, then the download will fail. I did look at the market place and downloaded the Adobe PDF reader (free version) into the Android simulator (emulator) and then the download worked as expected. If you were to download all the files at the same time, you would be downloading around 1.2MB

This app also supports all orientations, including the main screen. the main screen is very clean and simple.

Planned updates are the exact same as the Apple App so just re-read the above if you need to see what is planned. I expect to have the Android app on the marketplace by the end of the

I currently have the beta on my personal website, if you go to the following link using your phone and you can accept any app, not just ones from the marketplace, then it will download to your downloads area and you can install it from there

the app is at

http://www.bubbagates.net/files/IMACLite.apk

As this is a beta version, little support is offered at this time and you are using it at your own risk, however, as I mentioned above, I have others using it and love it and all have said it is very fast once you have all the PDF files downloaded

For either version (Apple or Android) I am taking suggestions on what to add so feel free to email me at

[email protected]

I'm typically very good at responding to emails with a couple of hours at the most, except those sent overnight (I do have to sleep sometime )

So, go check 'em out and give me some feedback

Just a couple quick screenshots, all are form the respective simulators, the first one is the Android version, the second is the iPhone version as shown on an iPhone 4 and the ast is the iPad version

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83355.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	1542505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25193.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1542506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63047.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1542507  
Old 01-04-2011, 07:22 PM
smarks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IMAC App for Apple and Android Devices

Nice work Bill! I am currently using the iPhone version and think it's great.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:08 AM
FlyerRick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IMAC App for Apple and Android Devices

Thanx Billfor your hard work and a great app. I'm usingyour Android version on my Incredible and it works great!