Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICIAL TRAXXAS RALLY VXL THREAD!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 01:34 AM
J0EC00L
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL TRAXXAS RALLY VXL THREAD!!!!!

Nostramadien, the rally is a good car to start off with in Rc's if you plan on being easy at first. You can't just dry punch these cars from zero to full throttle without any experience. Properly driving these faster rc's requires some throttle control and steering management that will protect the life of the internal components. Sticking with a stock battery and taking it easy at first until you get the hang of things.

If I were you, I'd get a mini e-revo - basically the same car but able to go on and offroad with ease. The internal components and dewing mirror the mini slash and rally; actually the rally and slash mirror the mini e-revo. The rally is alot of fun, but you're limited to onroad only, and you'll need a decent amount of space to enjoy drifting and avoid highspeed collisions.

The brushless RCs aren't anything like the walmart and toys r us tyco rcs. These cars will easily hit 35 mph stock! And with a gear swap and dual batteries, you're at or over 50mph.

Don't jump into adding aftermarket parts or buying lipos for the rc you choose. These Traxxas rcs are plenty fast enough and fun enough in their stock configuration.

Oh an lastly, I'm not sure how you get a different body for the rally aside from the limited stock colors and special order bodies that have to be modified to allow proper fit.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:44 PM
nostramaiden

thanks joe great advice ill definetly re read that before i go and buy my first real rc i was wondering if you could post a link to where i can get a more durable on and off road chassis for the rally car
Old 01-01-2011, 05:27 PM
brianjskora

I agree with joe that for starting, a mini revo may be best, as you could get road tires and go on road, or go off road also, but if you know you want on road only, then the rally is great.

I've been racing the rally on a nearby school basketball court which is nice grippy concrete. My buddy just got the Nitro 4-tec tires for his which are excellent. I got the cheap $15 set from the toyz which match my body and look great, but after racing 2 days for about 8 hours, they are almost completely bald, and now are starting to slide, but not as much as the stock tires. Keep in mind we do race all day usually, so they are wearing after about 6-8 hours, not just a few runs...

His 4-tec tires grip just right, if you want to slide you can, but it grabs where needed. I just ordered a set for under 30 shipped off an fleabay seller who has them onsale right now. Traxxas part 4873. These tires have seen to wear well so far too. he's done 2 runs on them all day, without significant wear.

Here is a shot of my tires and how worn they are. They were great at first, just wore out too quick. The price was right at 15 for 4 though! First shot is after a short day run, then the last shot is after 2 more long race days.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64991.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1540932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87338.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	1540933  
Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 AM
nostramaiden

thank you for the great advice ive decided that i wont get the rally at the moment  because theres a small abandoned dirt bike track just down the road from where i live so i was hoping the rally would be able to handle it its not to bumpy but there are a few jumps can the min revo handle smal 2-3 foot high jumps ok or would i want to use a better suited rc. i have another question now, last night i remembered that when i was younger i think 6 or 7 my mom bought me a few rc cars the toy ones from places like toys r us. these cars ended up in my garage because at the time i didnt have the coordination for using them. well i found a really nice looking dodge ram rc truck from new bright anyways i was driving it around and it was working fine the next day though it worked for less than 5 min and now it wont do anything any ideas whats wrong and if i can get a better engine for it
Old 01-03-2011, 09:00 AM
J0EC00L

Nostra - you really need to get the mini e-revo. The mini e revo will easily handle anything you throw at it! It is extremely durable, cam handle jumps in excess of 5 feet on up to 10 ft I've seen without problem. Trust me, the mini e revo (merv) will do far more for you than the rally will. The rally is really limited to on road unless you raise suspension and change tires. Even then, you were better off just getting a slash... And then after realizing the slash's performance, you will realize you were better off getting the mini e revo. Take it from us, save the time and trouble and just get the mini e revo.

Joe
Old 01-03-2011, 01:57 PM
nostramaiden

hahaha alright joe ill trust you on that and get the mini e revo also how much experience would be needed to build a gas rc car in the future do they take alot of work to keep up im apprenticing as a mechanic so i can do the repairs but do they break often
Old 01-04-2011, 06:34 AM
d.k.v

Has anyone had any issues with these car?
im about to get a ken block version

so any thing that needs changing out of the box?
Old 01-05-2011, 03:42 PM
J0EC00L

Hey skora,

Those tires you got from the toys... Do they grip better than stock? My stock ones just slide around no matter what. I can be at half throttle and goose it into a couple 360 turns until gaining control again. I read that your friend got some nitro 4 tec wheels. Those look like slicks. Do they just spin and drift the whole time? Or do they literally act like The slicks on oval track stock cars (NASCAR / SPRINT)

I found some nitro tec wheels on bay for 25 plus 5 for shipping.

I thought about the ones you got for cheaper. I want somethig that grips when I turn at higher speeds, but still drifts enough to keep from turning over. The foam tires I tried gripped a little too much.

Joe
Old 01-05-2011, 04:25 PM
brianjskora

the toys ones... http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...049&cat_name=# I think they went up a buck, but these are them... They gripped A TON better than stock, but still were able to drift a little in the right condition. The problem is if its not a smooth surface, it will flip. On the street, I flip alot, but on the court we race on, I only flip if I hit a rock or something that shouldnt be there

The nitro tec ones That summa has and I ordered, they look like slicks, but they are much softer than stock. The reason I got these instead of more from the toyz is bc the toys ones wore out quickly, and the wheel wasnt a great quality. It has a few cracks in it from flipping, but its still usable, and I still use them. The nitro tec tires seem to have a ton more tread life on them, and also more of a solid rim. I would say the grib about the same as when thetoyz 16.99 rims were new. It took a few laps to wear off the outer coat of the nitro tec's for summa, but then that thing raced around like a water bug, just shooting any direction you point it

Im not sure how they will compare to the foam. It might just have to do with the surface you are running on... Have you tried a tennis court or something like it?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 PM
J0EC00L

Oh ok skora. Thanks for the info on the nitro tec wheels. When I look at traxxas' website, the nitro tec wheels actually have a cross pattern desig. To the tires. They don't look like slicks, but when igoogle the wheels for it, all I find are slicks. I guess I'll have to get a set of then and try them out. I have only drove the rally on my street or in an open parking lot, no tennis court yet.

I'm still debating on whether or not I should install the winder in the rally or swap the mamba max pro from the merv. I'm thinking about installing the big block mount in the rally to see how it fares. Probably think the MMP esc will be more suitable for te larger motor; however, if the winder can easily handle it, then I'll install it instead.

My merv is already making a clicking noise upon acceleration, I don't think it's the diffs this time, could be tranny or center diff. Remember that 50mph crash I had. Well the motor mount and tranny were actually bent forward from the enertia of the hit... I bent the alum mount back straight, but for some reason the motor still doesn't seat up exactly straight. Still looks a little angled and I think my tranny suffered internally or my plastic frame is warped some. Another place the clicking could be coming from is the pinion and spur gear mesh. When not under load, they seem to seat smoothly and quietly, but because the motor may be slightly off key, under load and vibration, I may be hearing the gears grind a bit. I'll know when I further inspect them. If there's black and gray dust - it wi definitely be a sure sign of grinding.

Whew... A long story there, but I couldn't stop myself

Joe
Old 01-06-2011, 08:17 AM
nostramaiden

i was looking at the site that was posted the toyz.com and i noticed some of the traxxas slashes had short course in the name and were roughly 100 dollars cheaper than the ones that didnt say that whats the difference im assuming the short course ones cant go as far from the remote as the non short course ones or are they incapable of being used for long periods of time with out damage can somone clarify that for me thank you
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 PM
J0EC00L

Did you check to see I it was brushless or not? I know the Mini 1/16 e revo cones either brushless or brushed and the brushed is 100 cheaper.

Joe
Old 01-07-2011, 04:18 AM
brianjskora

Joe- the nitro tecs do look like slicks... well I guess they are slicks, but its a nice soft rubber compared to stock. The part number is 4873. They are slicks and have little dots running diagonally, which im not sure what they are for other than judging tread wear.

Mine will be hear today, summa and I are racing tomorrow, I can post a video tomorrow night and let you see how they run.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:19 AM
d.k.v

are there any mojor issues with these cars?
Old 01-07-2011, 05:34 AM
brianjskora

Nope, if u want to race and not drift get some other tires, but mines been great. No breaks after significant crashes... except a servo gear, so maybe a spare gear set.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:36 AM
d.k.v

metal gear servos worty upgrade?

can you run the two batts in serise with the stock pinion without problems?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:00 PM
nostramaiden

joe i didnt see anything about brushless or not it only had short course and not short course i thought maybe one was 2wd and another might be 4x4 but the 2wd short course and not short course was still much cheaper. another question i have is what are the brushed motors and brushless do the brushed ones have some sort of brush or bristle that wears out the engine or reduce speed? i apologise if im asking any stupid questions plz bear with me.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:11 PM
brianjskora

ORIGINAL: d.k.v

metal gear servos worty upgrade?

can you run the two batts in serise with the stock pinion without problems?
I had bad luck with metal gear servos. I used a hitec, but it didnt work well with the Traxxas 2.4 receiver, it caused glitching. Surely there is one out there that works, but I just have a bunch of spare gears.

You can run just fine with series on the stock pinion. Unlike the mini revo, the rally has a speed pinion which is actually BIGGER than the stock pinion, so running stock is better for your car (less heat)
Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 PM
brianjskora

ORIGINAL: nostramaiden

joe i didnt see anything about brushless or not it only had short course and not short course i thought maybe one was 2wd and another might be 4x4 but the 2wd short course and not short course was still much cheaper. another question i have is what are the brushed motors and brushless do the brushed ones have some sort of brush or bristle that wears out the engine or reduce speed? i apologise if im asking any stupid questions plz bear with me.
thetoyz.com has the mini slash brushless for 265.99
the 1/10 scale 4x4 brushless is 389.99
1/10 scale 2x4 brushed is 199.99 (out of stock)

A brushed motor does have "brushes" that can wear out. Generally brushless is maintenance free
A brushed motor is less powerful than a brushless motor, when comparing equal sizes.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:09 PM
nostramaiden

thanks brian that helped alot
Old 01-07-2011, 05:51 PM
brianjskora

Here is a shot with my rally and summa's. Mine are brand new so I havent worn off the "sheen" yet, but his have some time on them and you can see how much better they look for traction

Hopefully weather allows for some vids tom

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20179.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1543831  
Old 01-07-2011, 07:23 PM
J0EC00L

Hey I like the look of those skora. I found some wheels with treaded tires that supposedly go with the nitro tec. On Traxxas website, a recent photo of the nitro 4 tec. But everywhere I look to buy them I just see the ones you have, except for the one set I found.

I wonder if the treads are better than slicks? I think I'll wait to see your video before I buy.

By the way, I wonder what wire set up you have with the stock motor to the winder esc.

I beleive mine are esc black to motor white / esc white to motor yellow / esc red to motor blue. I know it can actually go a different way too, and even one that runs opposite, but just making sure I have the wires set up optimally.

Joe
Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 PM
brianjskora

Joe-

Mines on the left, I have yellow to red, blue to black, white to white- Im pretty sure on brushless, the combo doesnt matter as long as it turns the way you want it to. if you reverse two of your 3 wires, your motor will spin the other way, but I think performance is the same.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:01 PM
J0EC00L

Oh ok. Well I guess it doesn't matter. Mi e spins the right way with my setup, so I guess it's good to go. I'm going to try your set up though, just to see what happens and prove the theory true I suppose - that it does t really matter how they are as long as the motor spins the way you intend it to.

I'm still contemplating whether or not I should install the winder or mamba max. Your had great success with the winder in yor settle and my mamba max has been great, but it's used and the winder is new. I guess it's something about having a used esc installed vs a new one. I know there's nothing wrong with my max, but what if??? What if I did wear it out some with a couple of over heats? Still seems to work fine, but who knows? I know ingave my merv he'll trying to run through some thick soft sand at the beach one time. I thought I smelled burning and my esc and motor were very hot to the touch. I noticed my rcvr was nestled up against the heat sink, and I figured the smell was the plastic on the rcvr melting a little next to the motor heat sink. Did t look burnt or melted, but all of my electronics had that peculiar smell, so I couldn't tell.

I'd like to install the tenbol mount in the rally since I have more clearance under the body - just deciding on whether the winder can handle the larger can is my tougher decision. Maybe if someone has already had luck with the winder and a castle 4600 can chime in to give me the ok.

Can you imagine the rally on 4s with a bigger motor?

Old 01-08-2011, 12:11 AM
nostramaiden

hey guys i was talking to a friend of mine and he suggested instead of buying a new rc i just upgrade mine. i like the idea because i love dodge rams and my rc is a replica of one. if i upload photos of the chassis will you guys be able to let me know what i could put in it ill try to get measurements aswell thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.