Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Cherokee ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Cherokee ARF

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:21 AM
mooseflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Cherokee ARF

If you decided to do a more "in depth" repair, just remove the Monokote from the entire area around the hole to make sure you can see all the damage.  Now, you can either replace the whole piece that is damaged (this is what picky people do), or you can cut around the damage, and piece it.  Depending on the internal structure, this should be an easy fix.  CA the piece in, sand it smooth, and cover.  The amount of wood prep you put into the work will show once you cover it. 
Old 06-17-2010, 12:00 PM
mooseflyer

As I have stated, I am most interested in "scale" models. I haven't had a problem with the wheel pants, and I fly off grass. However, this forum has helped me to prevent many mishaps. I don't want to take off the pants, so my wife had a good idea. She asked why I couldn't put a piece of plastic on the bottom of the fuselage to take the hit, in case of a hard landing. It wouldn't take much, and weight wouldn't be a problem. It certainly wouldn't hinder the looks or aerodynamics. Why not?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:48 AM
mooseflyer

While I enjoy adding scale details, I also enjoy the functionality of the parts. I took this idea from the full scale pictures. I thought it would help prevent damage to the rear end and keep the antenna from being ripped out in case of a sharp pitch on take off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40030.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1462027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62263.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1462028  
Old 07-10-2010, 05:57 PM
mooseflyer

I, hereby, claim this forum! Nah, it just seems like I'm the only one in here anymore. Anyways, I got bored again and decided to further personalize my plane. Sure, it will keep the scale looks on the ground, but once it goes overhead, you'll get a nice "sporty" surprise (This is a sport/scale plane). I ordered a roll of jet white monokote from Tower to finish up some of the scale details, but I had soooo much left over, it was burning a hole in my closet. So, I printed some stars off print shop and used them to make stencils, which I layed over the monokote and cut with a hobby knife. I think it looks pretty cool, but somebody on here will probably have something to say about my departure from scale realism.

Name:	Tq48984.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1465866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52395.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1465867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85909.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1465868  
Old 07-10-2010, 06:58 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not me. I like it!! Nice job!!

Bob
Old 07-10-2010, 07:01 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mooseflyer

I, hereby, claim this forum! Nah, it just seems like I'm the only one in here anymore. Anyways, I got bored again and decided to further personalize my plane. Sure, it will keep the scale looks on the ground, but once it goes overhead, you'll get a nice "sporty" surprise (This is a sport/scale plane). I ordered a roll of jet white monokote from Tower to finish up some of the scale details, but I had soooo much left over, it was burning a hole in my closet. So, I printed some stars off print shop and used them to make stencils, which I layed over the monokote and cut with a hobby knife. I think it looks pretty cool, but somebody on here will probably have something to say about my departure from scale realism.

Looks good!!! Like you said itis a sport scale plane.

Imaidened mine about two weeks ago. Ended up in a deadstick landing as I don't think I put a big enough cooling hole. I have made the hole larger but have not been back out to fly it. Just been too darn hot.

I was hoping to have some video ofit but the guy who did the videohasn't posted it yet. I will try and post some pictures but it ispretty much stock.The only things Idid different was I have an OS 45-FSR with a Jett Turbo-Jett muffler.I was hoping the muffler would fit inside the cowl but it did not work out that way.

It has a1200mah, 7.4v Lithium Ion receiver battery with a regulator init. There is a digital volt meter on the side of the fuse so Ican see the voltage. I replaced the decal with a vinyl graphic and changed the number to matchthe one on my VK CherokeeBabe.I got the graphicfrom vinylforrc.com and it was only $5. Norman who runs vinyl for rc advertises here on RCU.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:30 PM
thebluemax

Here are some pictures. The one at the field and the two with the graphics was taken with my cell phone and did not come out so good.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:39 PM
mooseflyer

Nice plane Bluemax....very cool mods.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:48 PM
thebluemax

Nice plane Bluemax....very cool mods.

thanks mooseflyer. Hopefully I will get the video posted.

Looking forward to getting more stick time on her. I haven't tried the flaps yet. It looks like she needs them too as when she went dead stick she would not come down. Then she would not slow down. Came in like a rocket..... Took the whole runway to get her down.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:42 PM
mooseflyer

I have a tendency to sit in front of my computer and read manuals for different planes, especially great planes models, because they put so many useful tips in certain manuals that can be applied to any model. One tip I found was to close up the vent hole opposite of the cylinder head, thereby directing the airflow over the head. I took this idea a couple of steps further by first enlarging all of the vent holes in the front of the cowl, for symmetry, and then closing off one side with a block of balsa. I carved the shape of the hole so that the balsa "plug" would sit flush with the exterior of the cowl, painted it black, and epoxied it in place. I also followed the 2 : 1, exit hole : enter hole ratio recommended by great planes. If I keep messing with this thing, it might turn out to be a pretty nice plane.

Name:	Vt57968.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1469911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27992.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1469912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo32108.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1469913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50097.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1469914  
Old 07-18-2010, 08:44 PM
mooseflyer

After running this engine for a while, I also found it necessary the cover the root wing ribs with monokote.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:21 AM
thebluemax

I have a tendency to sit in front of my computer and read manuals for different planes, especially great planes models, because they put so many useful tips in certain manuals that can be applied to any model. One tip I found was to close up the vent hole opposite of the cylinder head, thereby directing the airflow over the head. I took this idea a couple of steps further by first enlarging all of the vent holes in the front of the cowl, for symmetry, and then closing off one side with a block of balsa. I carved the shape of the hole so that the balsa "plug" would sit flush with the exterior of the cowl, painted it black, and epoxied it in place. I also followed the 2 : 1, exit hole : enter hole ratio recommended by great planes. If I keep messing with this thing, it might turn out to be a pretty nice plane.

Came out pretty good. Nice Job... I thought about blocking the one side off too.Ithought some more and instead of blocking it off completely I would put a curved piece in there. Goingfrom the outer edgeof the cowltowardsthe bottom of the engine or engine mountmakinga scoop to force theair over to the other side of the engine towards the head. Like I said I so far Ihave only thought about it. I have not done it as of yet.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:43 PM
mooseflyer

Sounds like a good idea.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:04 AM
HelloScott

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased the Cherokee ARF right when it became available. I've not gotten to building it yet (too many projects in front still!) but I'm looking forward to it...especially after hearing great reviews! I have an O.S. .50 FSR with a pitts muffler to use.

I'm curious if you guys have any idea how the Great Planes full kit version which was available back in the 80's compares? I have that GP kit too. I have been debating selling it but if its as good as the ARF I sure don't want to do that!

Are the two planes basically identical?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:03 PM
mooseflyer

Look on page 9 of this forum. There is a guy who built one of the old kit versions of this plane. I guess he would be the best one to ask.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:46 AM
HelloScott

ORIGINAL: WildeOne

I built one of these Cherokees 140's some years ago from a GP kit (not an ARF). I built it with flaps and totally different color scheme (light tan with dark brown trim) and have never flown it. This thread has encouraged me to check it out and fly it. I knew it was a great flier, BC another guy in the club had one and it flew great. I think I put a brand new Royal .45 in it (remember them?). In any case, it's complete, just needs radio check out and set up to go.
So WildeOne...how do the two planes compare? Are they basically identical except that one is prebuilt? Do they fly the same? Same airfoil? There was a great review of the Cherokee ARF in Model Aviation magazine (April 2010) if you have that copy.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:07 AM
skylane62

One of you built the cherokee with an electric set up as specified by GP. Have you flown it yet? Haven't seen any results in the thread. I have a rimfire 42-60-800 for mine but have yet to do the building. This thread has been great for info.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:54 AM
dbc

I have over 150 flights on a Cherokee electric and it's one of my very favorite planes. More discussion on electric Cherokees in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...piper+cherokee
Old 09-10-2010, 09:34 PM
wore-out-pilot
My Feedback: (73)

I got to maiden mine today. I have a OS 70 4-cycle in it and it flew great. IT landed great with flapsand without. Does a knife edge very nice. I had a ball with it today, it's a great plane to have a lot of fun with. Just thought I would pass that along.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:56 AM
Kostas1

Anyone that has measured the actual AUW ???

I have a Saito FA-62 and i'm wondering...
Old 09-12-2010, 03:43 PM
bushong572
My Feedback: (59)

6 lbs 6 ounces with a O.S. 46 AX.....flies very light (and suprisingly fast).
Old 01-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Kostas1

ORIGINAL: bushong572

6 lbs 6 ounces with a O.S. 46 AX.....flies very light (and suprisingly fast).

Do you have any pics of your Cherokee to post ?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:21 PM
eastcoast

ive on flown mine 4 times and 3 of the 4 the landing gear broke out...Not great on the grass
heres my feild so its not like im trying too land on rocks and stuff lol

was thinging of getting bigger tires or something..Either that or Sell it.[:@]
Old 01-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Kostas1

I'm going to buy one ,today
and use a 50-60 or 60 4 stroke !
Old 01-07-2011, 05:18 AM
eastcoast

it is a nice plane no dought...if your landing on pavement she should be fine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.