Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

PLYWOOD FOR BOAT HULL

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Don1028

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLYWOOD FOR BOAT HULL

I am looking to build a new hull out of 1/8" birch plywood but was wondering what grade and a good souce for the plywood.Are people using baltic birch in a 3 ply or a birch plywood that is good one side only?Thanks for the help.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:47 PM
rcbif

Default RE: PLYWOOD FOR BOAT HULL

My 45" 31cc boat is built out of about $2.50 worth of wood. Go to your local home depot, or lumber yard, and ask if they have any of the scrap wood slip sheets, or tie sheets. It's basically 1/8 plywood. It's not aircraft grade, but it's decent and gets the job done. It is hard to find though. Usually used to protect bundles of thinner wood, placed on the top and bottom. They only charged me to have it cut.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:27 PM
dadkins

Default RE: PLYWOOD FOR BOAT HULL

I like It - I am all about recycling.
And... I generally don't care what my boats look like - unlike a lot of the people here - so one side good or recylcled or Luan usually works for me.
Now if I was building a scale boat or a record breaker I may step up to Aircraft Ply.