Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G62 without carb insulator?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:27 AM
CGAV8R
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G62 without carb insulator?

Has anybody tried running the G62 without the carb insulator block installed? I need to remove it to make the engine fit in the cowl. I'm trying not to spend the money on a toni clark 90* intake bend if I don't have to. Thanks,
Aaron
Old 01-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: G62 without carb insulator?

The insulator block is there to INSULATE the carb from cylinder heat. You need it.

To prove my point,

I have a converted 75cc engine that came out of a Stihl demo saw. The person who converted it did a very nice job, except for one little glitch. He made the carb insulator block a little too thin in one spot - but thats what the person who sent the motor to the engine to him wanted done. It was supposed to go in a very narrow cowl, so space was limited. The base of the carb was touching the cylinder in a circular ring about 1/8" wide. That allowed heat transfer from the cylinder to the carb. The motor ran fine for 5 minutes. Then it would vapor lock and dead stick. Would not restart. You could choke the daylights out of it and flood the cylinder with cold fuel to solve the vapor lock problem in the carb. But then the engine was flooded. I'd have to pull the spark plug out and dry it off to get the engine started.

I made a spacer block 1/4" thick, with G10 epoxy board, and installed it between the carb and the existing insulator block. No more vapor lock. Engine runs fine now.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Super08

Ralph (Antique) makes one out of G10 that is much thinner than the stock one. Here is a picture of mine, maybe it will be enough for you, otherwise I guess you may have to go the TC route.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39727.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1545230  
Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Lnewqban

Heat + carburation = running problems + less power

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...tm.htm#8828206
Old 01-10-2011, 10:47 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made my own from 3 layers of 1/8 thick G10 epoxy board, epoxied together, since I did not have thicker material. My need was to rotate the carb for direct hookup to the servo, so I used a groove in the middle board to channel the pulse hole from the carb hole location to the cylinder hole location. Next I may try using 3 layers of 1/16 thick material to see if that is enough isolation for the carb from engine heat. Good luck.

Toni Clark has some very good tiops for engines.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 01-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Super08

G10 seems to have very good insulating properties. The one Ralph makes is 1/4" thick and works flawlessly.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:07 PM
CGAV8R

Thanks guys. I measured and it looks like Ralphs block will work, i'll give him a call.
Aaron D.