Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Rustler Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:44 AM
AL3xGR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Rustler Thread

One of the best traxxas cars I've ever seen.Good job.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:06 AM
Stryker USMC

Outstanding looking model ka350kaptain. I love the direction you are going with it making a buggy. Great paint and tire/wheel combo.

Question, that is a Slash chassis with the extenders? No LCGconversion using Rustler chassis, right?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Muskokarc

thehuntingterminator Thats the same 2.4 system I plan on getting good price point that it is.

ka350kaptain you do do excellent work.  What do you use to paint with?

Old 01-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Stryker USMC

UPSguy dropped off some goodies for the Rustler!

Old 01-11-2011, 04:33 PM
spandexman

Hey i just got new suspension pins and am having a lot of trouble puting the e clips on them. any suggestions?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:04 PM
thehuntingterminator

if your wondering if the radio is any good then YEAH! compared to the Traxxas TQ AM radio its alot more sensitive and gives you alot more control. i have yet to run out of range, and binding the receivers to the transmitter is really easy!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:12 PM
ka350kaptain

ORIGINAL: Muskokarc

thehuntingterminator Thats the same 2.4 system I plan on getting good price point that it is.

ka350kaptain you do do excellent work. What do you use to paint with?

Thanks! I use Faskolor airbrush paints. The green was hand painted on with a brush, then black airbrushed over it just down the middle, then white over the rest. actually very easy, no masking required.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:16 PM
coolguy1975

hi guys...need a lil help..got a first generation rustler....has the slipper on it still from the heritage models..what involves changing it over to the vxl slipper?...would the only id have to change it the top shaft that the spur fits onto or the whole thing?...when i bought it.used..it already also had the all stell gears..including the idler and differential..so im good on those..
Old 01-11-2011, 06:17 PM
ka350kaptain

ORIGINAL: Stryker USMC

Outstanding looking model ka350kaptain. I love the direction you are going with it making a buggy. Great paint and tire/wheel combo.

Question, that is a Slash chassis with the extenders? No LCG conversion using Rustler chassis, right?
Thanks!

Its the ST racing concepts lcg kit which uses a Rustler chasis and the front and back ends off the Slash. In my case, I just took a Rustler i had and stetched it with the kit.

So, you can have a stetched Rustler or a lowered Slash. EIther way, it requires the use of a Rustler chasis.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:50 PM
thehuntingterminator

you can buy the newer style shaft that accommodates the newer slipper on ebay for like 5 bucks i think. i had to do the same thing as you on my Bandit, i just went ahead and bought a whole new slipper assembly for 18 bucks shipped and it included the slipper assembly, spur gear, clutch cover, and bolts. it was a good deal.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:02 PM
coolguy1975

ok cool..can u direct me to where i can get what u got..that way i dont have tog et it all one piece at a time?....or tell me what i need to get if i do get it one at a time?...want to go with the steel spurs on it which is why i want to update the slipper...
Old 01-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Muskokarc

spandexman What are you using to put the clips on?? I find a good needle nose pliers usually works for such things.

Nice set of part you got there Stryker.

My rustler does not have a sliper cluch on it, just a straight spur gear. Should it be upgraded when i finaly go brushless??

I just got some shocks off my friend that he had gotten for his slash. They where not quite the right fit and so he go another set. Only issues is that they have a larger eye hole on the top part than the standard screw that goes there for the rustler, so put some tape around the screw for now to fill the space. They are all the same length all around so where to short at first for the back but just moved the placement in some. Also had to put in my old spring for the back set, the springs that came with did not hold up to the weight of the rear end.

Will have to post some new pics later.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:00 PM
thehuntingterminator

here's a link to an entire modern slipper clutch assembly:cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-Bandit-VXL-Spur-Gear-76T-48P-Slipper-Clutch-/370447654746. that's a good deal, i paid way more for mine. and for the shaft to put this newer slipper on i think (99% sure) is this:cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-3793-SLIPPER-CLUTCH-SHAFT-ROLL-PIN-RUSTLER-VXL-/270638300924.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:03 PM
thehuntingterminator

unless your whole drivetrain is bulletproof then yes!!! you will want a slipper clutch.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:02 PM
coolguy1975

ok thanks hunting.....do i have to buy it off ebay...or can i go to a local hb and buy it complete like it is there minus the pic to put the slipper on?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:11 AM
thehuntingterminator

my LHS only had the rebuild kit which had everything except a spur and clutch cover, but the link i gave you will be cheaper and give you more stuff. the link was for a 76t spur gear, i bought mine with an 86t, maybe that's why mine was so expensive. you may want to search ebay for a slipper clutch and find one with a spur gear you want.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:51 AM
Muskokarc

I have converted all my gears to metal other than the spur gear.  I do also plan to put on MIP dog bones on the rear to.

ka350kaptain I showed my friend you mods and he was wondering where did the wing com from on the dragon one?  He likes the wing and would like to get one like it.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:54 PM
B192734

Hey everyone. Question here. Haven't had much of a chance to go out bashing lately, but was going to today. Got the batteries all charged and turned it all on. Everything went all glitchy. So I tried turning it all off, disconnecting a motor wire and resetting the esc. It's currently the blue xl-5 esc. I followed the instructions from the manual to reprogram. That didn't seem to do anything. Still glitchy. Tried a couple of times, but nothing. Now for some reason I can't remember how fast it would turn on before, but it doesn't just turn on when I push the button. I have to hold it for a second or so and then it comes on. Steering seems to work just fine though. It's not just glitchy as in the tires and motor are twitching, it'll just rev up and run and not stop. I reconnected the motor lead, and lifted it off the table, and when I turned it on nothing at first, so I hit the throttle to see, and it would twitch, and then rev up to full speed and slowly come back down and run a partial throttle until I shut it off. Any thoughts? I don't believe the batteries in the radio are bad, the light is steady and bright.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Stryker USMC

ORIGINAL: B192734
I don't believe the batteries in the radio are bad, the light is steady and bright.
That was the first thing that popped into my head. I would replace the batteries in the radio and then try again. Simple things first.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Jackedman
My Feedback: (2)

ya i agree try the batteries on the remote first and go from there
Old 01-12-2011, 07:06 PM
thehuntingterminator

is your throttle trim way off?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:48 PM
B192734

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

is your throttle trim way off?
Throttle trim is not way off. I reset the radio to all standard settings and then tried reprogramming the ESC. I did try adjusting the trim after the programming, but it still had the issue.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Muskokarc

My friend had similar issues with his slash it was caused more from powering up his car first then the radio.  Once he realized he should be doing it the other way around it has not done it again since.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Jackedman
My Feedback: (2)

Hey guys whats a good cheap site to get rpm stuff off of for the rustler
Old 01-13-2011, 07:16 PM
coinworker

Wow... Information overload!!!! i just got done reading nearly two years of post on this thread. so many things in my head!! I got a rustler xl-5 pretty recently and of course i can't just leave it stock. So far all i have done to it is add a rpm front bumper and a traxxas wheelbar. i also bought a 2s 4000 blue lipo 30c hardcase and it fits great! Unfortunately i just broke the wheelie bar at its base. i feel like i read somewhere that RPM makes a motor protector that the traxxas bar can mount to, does anyone have a link to that? Also where was it that people are getting those shock covers? Those things are awesome! i have been inspired by Ka350kaptain, that red and black look, is rockin!! Although, i think mine will be built for off road bashin and have a white body... but i am still dreaming up her new look!

One last question. When i decide to go brushless i have been looking around and found this deal [link]http://www.hobbypartz.com/car.html[/link]
My question is... how does this compare to the vxl system... is the vxl system worth the money or can i get a better setup cheaper somewhere online, also does anyone know if the stock pinions will fit on the motor in the link?

I know i have a lot of questions but hey i actually spent the time to read the last two years worth of post so i could be somewhat informed when i started posting.
Thanks guys!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.