Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

tips and tricks for racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:29 PM
s7jstep1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips and tricks for racing

well now that a hobby store is coming to my town and they will have some tracks, i want to try getting into racing. what are some tips and tricks that you racers use. what do you keep in the toolbox, things like that
Old 01-11-2011, 11:59 PM
lez1troubles

Default RE: tips and tricks for racing

Tips'N'Tricks, well the first tip would be, WIN WIN WIN. Tricks???WIN WIN WIN.
Could do this again.
Tips'N'Tricks, well tip would have to be Have fun fun fun and Tricks would have to be Have fun fun fun.
As to what to keep in your tool box????TOOLS may be a good idea.
Other than that try cheating.Cut corners and jump from one side of the track to the other.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:12 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Practice constantly. Even if you're just cutting in between cones in your driveway or something.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:13 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

practice practice practice ... that is the key for racing, the more practice you get the better your driving will get ... make sure the car is totally free with no binding or bad bearings .. work with your set-up, it can make or break your day at the races.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:22 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pratice on the same serface as the track, if its black top run on black top, if its ashfault run on ashfault ect.

i assume that its a outdoor parking lot track?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 AM
srtracer

some helpful stuf guys

when your racing, dont worry about the guy in front of you, running clean is more important and running good lines will bring your lap times down and get you up the ranks much quicker than fighting your way up. if someone is trying to musle his way around just let him pass ya because hes going to be caught in a wreck further up the track.

tools are different from person to person but i like to carry a full asortment of drivers, 2 pair of plyers, a pair of wire cutters, a utility knife, an exacto knife, a pair of vice plyers, a heavy driver to hammer stuff, a ground down slotted screw driver for e-clips, a temp reader, and ifi can spare the room my dremal and screw gun with plenty of bits and such. i also always bring a body reamer and soldering gear, more for others than myself since every week there is somebody who needs one by where im pitting. i also bring tires for different track conditions (wet/dry) 

along with tools and the nessasary gear like fuel and chargers (to name but a few things) i also bring a good assortment of spare parts, liquids, adhesives and lubricant as well as electronics, screws, scraps of kydex, lexan, aluminum, etc. i also bring extension cords and multi taps. a compresor is nice to have but some tracks dont allow it because they tend to over load the power system (unless youve got a generator as well)

every track has like 5-10 guys who always work the track while everyone else sits there like jack asses, if you want to get in good and make some solid friends be one of the guys who work the track.

when your turnmarshaling be quick but be safe, if for example someone is throttling while you try to marshal them wait till they stop, if they give you a hard time about it, ef um, you dont need to hurt yourself to help the jag off. obviously avoid grabbing by the tires or anywhere you know youll get burnt, try to grab at the wing (1/8th stuff) or at the bumper, basicly anything solid or not 200°f. if you can, pull any junk off the track like rocks or broken parts.

when i pack up i use a 3mil contractor trash bag to stoe my toys so my car (1:1) does not get dirty and have a sheet of 8 mil plastic to cover my trunk where i put my tool boxes and fuel because some how i always leek a little nitro and my tool boxes always get dirty (as does everything else) aong with a towel for my seet and a spare pair of shoes (wet clayed up shoes suck)
Old 01-12-2011, 02:53 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best non specific tip would be to ask around at your track what people are running, and how to race the track. Each track is different, you wont learn how to race it online.

Ram cars out of the way, worked when I first started racing!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

When setting up a vehicle only change one thing at a time. Change to many and you wont know what works and what doesnt..
Old 01-12-2011, 05:19 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

When setting up a vehicle only change one thing at a time. Change to many and you wont know what works and what doesnt..
Very good advice! Do spend some serious time finding the spring rate / oil wieght / ride height / steering geometry / transmitter settings that work best for YOUR driving style. Be sure to check your local track to see what classes they race and get a copy of the rules that they abide by.

Consistency is key. When you are practicing (and racing) try and keep you lap times as near to identical as you can. Slower consistent laps will win races whereas if you have a single accident doing fast reckless laps you will likely lose.

Like SRT racer says, have spares of anything that you might break / lose (dogbnes, A arms, suspension parts etc.) as well as fuel, glow plugs, 2 or more glow ignitors, glue, tape etc etc etc. the more the better (within reason)

Old 01-12-2011, 07:32 PM
johndavis

good sportsmanship will go a long way too. if you want help give help. i know im new to this hobby and dont know as much as the one i race but i try. i loaned one of my competors a set of my tires because he had 2 to come apart on the last heat race. so what he got a better time than i did . it was won on the track not in the pits. one race i lost a wheel nut, by the time i got back to my pit table 5 was offered to me. there is a lot of great people in this hobby i try to be one of them.a must is a good pit table. i use a fold up i bought for 20.00 at freddy's. its a fold up and dont take up much storage space. turnmarshal when its your time to. if you are running good turn marshal a extra time to help the other classes that always pays off some time. ive read these posts and there is lots of good advice and i learned alot from the other posts. ive just started to learn how to pit for other drivers and other classes,and have learned a lot about truggys and the pro buggy class. which has helped me with my own buggy. just dont forget to just have a good time no matter if you come in 1st or 100th. i have made a lot of new friends in my short time in this hobby and appreciate everyone of them. hope you do well.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Respect gains respect on the racetrack!

Oh and organization. What good is an extra dogbone if you cant find it?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:09 AM
kaiser01

best piece of advice i can give you is "SLOW IS FAST".

basically that means that unless you are one of the top driver big power will not help you win races. slow and steady wins (most of the time).

don't worry about power until you can make a whole race without needing a turn marshall.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:49 AM
tommygun32

All GREAT advice and I second it all.

Just some more tools I bring:
Camber Gauge
Ride Hight Gauge
Toe in/out Gauge
Digital Calipers
A set of dental picks
Clutch Shoe remover
Fly Wheel extractor
Toothbrush
Quality thick 1" paint brush
Can of WD40

Spare rags
Multi use Battery charger
Folding chair if you need it
Cool Box filled with water, gator aid and ice

When you marshal:
Keep your eyes OPEN and your head moving
Wear heat protective gloves (optional)
You can also use clear safety googles or moto-x goggles (eyes full of sand from a car sitting on its roof that gets revved...[:@])
NO OPEN TOED shoes when marshalling either

Oh....and HAVE FUN!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:30 AM
TIGER76

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast ,if you can put that into practice your half way there m8

And watch what others are doing ie track lines etc and dont be afraid to ask questions trackside,no matter what track your at others will always help out
Old 01-13-2011, 09:12 AM
rasper

Yeah Believe that.....
Hell, keep your spares separate from your tools, bag them if you want to. also important. LEARN YOUR RC DIAGRAM AND HOW TO TAKE IT APART AND PUT IT BACK TOGETHER.....FOR THIS, ITS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE A BOWL WITH SOME OLD MOTOR MAGNETS INSIDE....so you dont loose screws and nuts......

Oh.....and go bashing once in a while...the distraction helps in a way with you learning the car's handling
Old 01-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

ORIGINAL: rasper

Yeah Believe that.....
Hell, keep your spares separate from your tools, bag them if you want to. also important. LEARN YOUR RC DIAGRAM AND HOW TO TAKE IT APART AND PUT IT BACK TOGETHER.....FOR THIS, ITS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE A BOWL WITH SOME OLD MOTOR MAGNETS INSIDE....so you dont loose screws and nuts......

Oh.....and go bashing once in a while...the distraction helps in a way with you learning the car's handling
I will because its true. If you dont belive so you have a lot to learn (btw it applys to everything! Not just the race track..).
Old 01-13-2011, 10:17 AM
s7jstep1

thanks for the advice guys. im getting really excited for this thing to be built. it will be an indoor complex with 3 tracks and a crawler course. it will also have another outdoor track for nitros and gassers. i have definately started to learn how to control throttle better and to take it slow. once the tracks are open, ill definately spend a lot of time practicing. i have been getting my t4 back in good operating condition as well. i may be in the market for a brushless motor that is equivelant to a stock 27t class. any suggestions? preferrably under $40. i was looking on hobby king but i figured id ask for some suggestions. ill also ask the owner of the track if he has any
Old 01-13-2011, 10:40 AM
kaiser01

17.5 brushless = 27t brushed

you need a brushless sprecific speed contoler.

speed passion makes an affordable 17.5 motor and esc combo for around 70 bux.
hobbywing also has good affordable combos.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:03 PM
s7jstep1

oh okay. i thought a 13.5t was equivelant to a 27t brushed. i have a speed control already (mamba max), just gotta get the motor. what about motors that are rated in kv? my stock sc10 motor is 3300kv. what would that equate to for a brushed motor?