Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Gyros for newbies

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Salinas Hawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyros for newbies

Ive got a thirty sized Hawk Pro from Century. My question is simple. Will a super high perforrmance gyro help me learn to fly: or will it be a waste of money on a newbie?
Man I don't want to be the jerk at the field with top of the line gear and no flying skills.

Please advise,
Salinas Hawk

Old 01-14-2010, 03:06 PM
bad400

Default RE: Gyros for newbies

would you rather be the jerk with a 10 dollar gyro and no flying skill`s LOL. then they`ll say you need a better gyro. but you can blame you`r skill`s on the gyro if it`s a cheapy LOL.
it`s your money, but a GOOD gyro pay`s for itself rather quickly.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:18 PM
rotordoc1

That is my favorite 30 sized heli. It can take you from your basic training to well into 3D flight (depemding on ow one sets it up) if you start with a decent mid-class gyro/servo combination like the Futaba GY401/9254 combo or something similar.

You will find a lot of help in setting up your Hawk from all the Hawk flyers in the Century forum of RumRyder...see my PM.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:40 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Get a decent gyro like the 401, it will take a huge load off your mind while you're learning.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Salinas Hawk

Thanks guys
I'll probably get the 401
Old 01-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Fuzzydog

Glad you asked this question, I am also setting up a Century Hawk. For those that recommend the 401, can you elaborate what makes a 'good' gyro?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:10 PM
rotor09

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are the criteria I judge a gyro on when related to the newbie:

1 - dependability - It will work as advertised for hundreds of flights

2 - reliability - It will not be too fragile so that it can survive

3 - versatility - It will work well with a number of popular servos

4 - good performance - will lock the tail well and consistently in hover, fast forward flight, relatively fast backward flight, and on into some of the more demanding aerobatics.

5 yaw rate in a pirouette - to be relatively consistent while flying forwards at a slow speed.

6 - consistancy - work as well on every flight with no drifting or other issues.

7 - user friendly - It should have good instructions so that it will be relatively easy to set-up properly

8 - easy to get help - there should be a good number of them on the market so that anyone would find it easy to find someone with one who can help if they need some.

9 - reasonable cost - under $200.00 which includes the cost of an appropriate servo

This type of gyro will be able to take you from basic hovering on into some pretty demanding 3D

The Futaba GY401 gyro will qualify on ALL 9 points

Once you progress into more extreme 3D with its' higher demands then you can look to something better. And if you are only interested in sport flying or scale flying, then you will find the GY-401 will never have to be replaced by something more costly.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:14 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Outstanding post, I couldn't have said it better.

To be honest, about the only area the higher end gyros excel is piro consistency while moving. The 401 will whip with the wind and slow down when fighting it where gyros like the 611, 520 etc will maintain consistency.

As for holding, I can do hurricanes backwards as fast as I can get the helicopter to fly, with a well setup 401. Piro funnels, not so much.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Fuzzydog

Thanks, that is excellent information and very helpful.

Cheers