Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

Cen GST 7.7 BRUSHLESS BUILD!

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Cen GST 7.7 BRUSHLESS BUILD!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:04 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cen GST 7.7 BRUSHLESS BUILD!

So I just bought a new Cen GST 7.7, this will be the second one I have owned, I bought one a few years back as soon as they came out and I LOVE this truck, the fun factor is awesome. However I sold my last one off a while back and finally I just bought a new one with the 2.4 ghz controller. It shold be here by this weekend hopefully!

NOW MY PLANS: I am pulling all the Nitro components and selling them off on ebay, then using that money to buying a Monster Mamba Max system from a BL E-Revo and hoping I can do a somehwat painless conversion if that is possible.

I have seen a few other BL GST set-ups and i'm curious to know which works the best? I want to use the current tires and wheels the GST comes with because I think they look really good but I DO NOT want to burn up a MMM set-up and i've read that someone burnt theirs up.

My other dilema is what to do about the 3 speed tranny, should I use it? If not what do I need to do to run this set-up without the 3 speed tranny. Basically what is recommended and what works the best, what are the pro's and con's of running the 3 speed tranny? Will it cost me more and is it more of a pain in the butt.

I am going to go back and read all the BL GST threads to try to figure out what direction I am going with this. So i made this thread to follow my build and solicit information and tips/suggestions from those of you who have done it or have a BL GST. Feel free to post photos and give your opinion on what you think is the best set-up.

I want to run (2)- 3S 5000 Lipos and use Savage Flux Battery Trays thats what I am thinking so far, but I use the HOBBYKING Turnigy 25c 3s 5000 lipos and i'm worried if these are considered "CHEAP" batteries because I DO NOT want to burn anything up.

Any help is greatly appreciated, i'll start posting pictures of the build as soon as I start this weekend. I hope to do this indepth and log it all in this thread so if someone else wants to do the same they can follow along as a somewhat DIY BL GST CONVERSION, or thats my goal, so please help out if you can.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-13-2011, 10:26 AM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cen GST 7.7 BRUSHLESS BUILD!

use a center diff, ditch the trans or maybe hunt down a revo trans and fit it in there. as for burning things up, gear it right and you'll do fine.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:37 AM
JUCD VPR

My CEN GST will be here TODAY!!! Just checked the tracking and it's set to deliver this afternoon
Old 01-17-2011, 06:42 AM
JUCD VPR

Thinking about going with this motor mount... from TEKNO

http://www.teknorc.com/product_info....oducts_id=1035
Old 01-18-2011, 06:20 AM
JUCD VPR

WAHOO I GOT IT!

Here are a few pictures of it, brand new, and after I started tearing it apart. The motor was sold along with the gas tank and the exhaust pipe so far. The Mamba Monster Motor is on the way, now i'm just trying to snag the monster mamba ESC off e-bay for a good price. I'll post more pics as the build progresses...

HERE is a phot of the F-650 body. I love how it looks, just need to drilled the holes and lower it a bit
Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 AM
JUCD VPR

GUYS - I'm still looking for some feedback on running the GSt 3 speed tranny or E-Revo tranny

OR if I should just try a center diff. Not sure what i'd need to do this. if anyone knows, please chime in here. I could definitely use some HELP!

Once I figure the tranny or center diff out, I am also curious what PINION gear to use?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:55 AM
JUCD VPR

HELLO OUT THERE? Is anyone ever on this forum anymore? Or does no one have any idea about converting a GST to brushless? I need a little help here, no one is responding and no one answers e-mails and i'm stuck trying to figure out how to custom buid two center plates for a center differential. ANYONE?

If someone can make them I will buy them from you, just let me know how much.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2011, 02:15 PM
wormburner62
My Feedback: (10)

I would try the gst tranny first. I mean, three speeds with a brushless set up that thing would haul balls. If that don't work then definately go with a center diff. The good thing about the stockgst tranny is that it don't have the center lock in it yet so it won't wheelie as much as it would with the center lock in it. Even if you have to remove the gst tranny then atleast try to use the center diff from it that way it still wont just wheelie and you can actually punch it. All of the videos i see of the gst converted to brushless, it just wants to wheelie and never just take off. This would be my ideal brushless gst. I have the gst but i run an OS .30 in it and i'm a nitro junkie and just don't have room for electric in my life right now but when and if my motor goes i'll do a brushless conversion on it myself.

I have a video posted of a way to lock the external 2nd speed one way bearing and i recommend doing it because the brushless would tear up you one way bearing in a matter of a few runs. I'm pretty sure i posted it in these forums and if not then you can go on youtube and search gst one way bearing mod or something like that.

Anyways, good luck with the build and by the way i think that tecno mount would be perfect.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:29 AM
JUCD VPR

Hey thanks for the advice!

I am going to try to GST tranny like lomdel did in his "simple" conversion. Basically using the GST tranny as you just said. It looks very simple to mount up the Tekno motor mount, and I contacted RC_Monster on when they will have the 2 speed adapter, which they said they will have some within a week.

I am hoping it will be fast! Although LOMDEL had some massive Lipos on his so I wasn;t sure if that was needed, I figure this thing should be very fast with this Monster mamba system. My BL E-Revo is obviously lighter so i'm not expecting anything insane liek that but i'm wanting to hit 50mph if thats possible?

I messaged him so hopefully he will chime in, I am a little confused on how he has the BRAKE and REVERSE set up with this combo? He said he uses machanical braking. I need to talk with him to get better clarification.

I found your thread on locking the external 2nd speed one way bearing. I'll watch it and do that modification to avoid tearing up that bearing. Thanks for that tip!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:42 PM
wormburner62

i'm no expert on bruhless conversions as i have never done one but i have had plenty of nitros and do know a thing or 2 about them so that being said, heres my opinion on the braking with the brushless. I "think" that the esc and brushless motorwill stop it I think if you lock the 2nd speed like i said because once the 2nd speed one way bearing is locked it works like a normal gear with a pin through it so it has to turn the shaft and when it stops the shaft has to stop. i think you would still be able to have reverse also Not100% sure but it all sounds right

As for how fast it will go i'm thinking that even if you use a 3s 5000 lipo it'll do 40mph but i'm betting that if you want to really haul balls i would do 2 4s 5000 lipos mounted 1 on each side of the vertical chassis plates. Then it would really haul but even if you do 2 2s 5000mah lipos 1 on each side ( balance ) it will still cruise.

Just remember that the one way bearing is $30 a rip do what ever you have to do to keep it in good condition.

Definately mamba! I think the castle is great stuff.

Keep me posted with shis setup, please! pics, videos! what have you!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 10:41 PM
DarkFire989

This section of the forum hardly gets any attention. It would have been better if you posted in the General MT section or General RC. Just sayin... But looking forward to this.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:51 PM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: wormburner62

i'm no expert on bruhless conversions as i have never done one but i have had plenty of nitros and do know a thing or 2 about them so that being said, heres my opinion on the braking with the brushless. I ''think'' that the esc and brushless motor will stop it I think if you lock the 2nd speed like i said because once the 2nd speed one way bearing is locked it works like a normal gear with a pin through it so it has to turn the shaft and when it stops the shaft has to stop. i think you would still be able to have reverse also Not 100% sure but it all sounds right

As for how fast it will go i'm thinking that even if you use a 3s 5000 lipo it'll do 40mph but i'm betting that if you want to really haul balls i would do 2 4s 5000 lipos mounted 1 on each side of the vertical chassis plates. Then it would really haul but even if you do 2 2s 5000mah lipos 1 on each side ( balance ) it will still cruise.

Just remember that the one way bearing is $30 a rip do what ever you have to do to keep it in good condition.

Definately mamba! I think the castle is great stuff.

Keep me posted with shis setup, please! pics, videos! what have you!!!
The Monster Mamaba ESC says only up to 6S lipo's, so I can't use two 4S lipos. So I am hoping on 2 - 3S lipos it willl haul.

I bought the Tekno motor mount so that is on the way as well. I will be doing the locking of the 2 speed bearing like you showed in your video ....who knows with that locked I could possibly use the ESC for the brake and reverse? I guess I will see more when I get all the parts and start the install. I'm waiting for the ESC in the mail as well right now and I need to grab the stock GST gears and an adapter pinion from RC Monster. It's coming along slowly.... I can;t wait to get this baby running!
Old 01-24-2011, 03:15 PM
wormburner62

i'm sure you'll be satisfied with the 3s lipos. It'll push 50 to 60 i'm sure. For better control there's a sway bar mod for the gst using the savage xl 5.9 sway bar kit. going those speeds i'd probably try doing something like it. i found the mod somewhere! maybe youtube or the cen forums. On my gst i did the top shock install, you can probably see it on the locking the one way bearing vid i posted. The top shocks were sold on the original genesis. It had 10 shocks. Mine has 6. 2 in the front and 2 in the back and 2 on top. its a little lighter but not much and it looks bad *****. i was also running 1/8 scale truggy tires with the 17mm adapters when i was racing my truck. It had amazing handling with those tires. On the cen forums either here or on the cen website forums there's a good diff oil and shock oil setup for better handling. check it out. With leaving the tranny in there you'll probably want 100,000wt diff oil in the center 10,000wt in the front and 10,000wt in the rear. 750wt in the shocks.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:59 PM
wormburner62

Here's the link to the sway bar mod.

http://www.cenforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1034

Old 01-25-2011, 06:05 AM
JUCD VPR

i'm sure you'll be satisfied with the 3s lipos. It'll push 50 to 60 i'm sure. For better control there's a sway bar mod for the gst using the savage xl 5.9 sway bar kit. going those speeds i'd probably try doing something like it. i found the mod somewhere! maybe youtube or the cen forums. On my gst i did the top shock install, you can probably see it on the locking the one way bearing vid i posted. The top shocks were sold on the original genesis. It had 10 shocks. Mine has 6. 2 in the front and 2 in the back and 2 on top. its a little lighter but not much and it looks bad *****. i was also running 1/8 scale truggy tires with the 17mm adapters when i was racing my truck. It had amazing handling with those tires. On the cen forums either here or on the cen website forums there's a good diff oil and shock oil setup for better handling. check it out. With leaving the tranny in there you'll probably want 100,000wt diff oil in the center 10,000wt in the front and 10,000wt in the rear. 750wt in the shocks.
What benefits did you notice from the top shock modification? I'm wondering how that works to improve the trucks handling?

I was thinking about doing a sway bar set-up but I had not made up my mind on that. I will check out the thread and see if thats something I may want to do, if so how would I go about doing the top shock modification? and would I need it if I did the sway bar mod?

I'm sticking with the stock GST tires and wheels, I really like the look of them!

I am using the Mamba Monster 1/8 ESC so I WILL be able to run bigger batts, I am going to go with Duel 4S 5000mah 35-40C rating Turnigy batteries so that should increase the power and spped a little over the 3S lipo's. (I received a little guidance from another member Lombel (SP?). and he gave me some good advice, basically he has a thread on here converting a GST and my set-up will have to be similar.

He also said that the GST will possibly burn up that ESC if i try to use it for braking and reverse so he suggests I stick with mechanical braking which I don;t really have a problem with. So still waiting on parts to come in, i'll update the pictures once I get it all set-up along the way and at the end of the thread I will add a short summary of what EXACT parts including nhummbers needed and how to build this so if anyone wants to do it in the future they will have a "how to list".

interested to see the top shock mod comments.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:16 AM
JUCD VPR

After checking this sway bar mod out I really like the functionality of the sway bars...However, i do not race, i only BASH HARD so saying this I assume I would break or bend the sway bar kits during my bash sessions. When I mean I bash hard, I mean I bash HARD! so i'm going to pass on the sway bar mod for now, maybe in the future? I just think i'd break/bend them and end up having to replace them all the time.

Still unsure about the top shock mod, i''m waiting to hear form you how you liked it, what difference it made. What is needed to do the top shock mod?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 AM
JUCD VPR

OK, So I I got just about all the parts in and I have started the build. At the end of the thread, when i'm finished I will summarize what i've done, what parts I bought, what I sold from start to finish and list the EXACT parts I got, where I got them from and how much I spent for the entire build...

For now here are a few more pictures of the build as of right now....

Here is a picture of some of the parts. (Tekno Motor mount, 2 speed pinion adapter, a 17 and 21 pinion gear W Shims (stock on a GST), The Castle 2200KV motor and Mamba moster ESC out of a Burshless E-Revo. I simply mock lined up where I wanted the motor mounted once I installed the gears on the 2 spoped pinion adapter to leave mesh adjustment and drilled the holes and wallowed them out a little for fine adjustment. I used lock tight on all the bolts to keep it in place as well.

The motor mounted in the Tekno motor mount with the 2 spped pinion adapter and GST stock pinions.

Marked out the mount and drilled holes

The motor mounted in the truck

Gear meshing up close showing the 2 spped pinion adapter

Motor and ESC mounted, it fits just right behind the motor if it's turned sideways, looks like a good spot to avoid anything from being damaged, the space next to the motor was just a bit too small for it to fit in..

SO thats where I am so far, I need to do some Y harness extensions to run the braking and reverse still, solder deans connectors, waterproof the ESC and steeringservo's, get some 4 cell batteries and that should be it, very easy so far.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:40 PM
wormburner62

looking awesome!!    If this works out real good for you i might try it as soon as my motor goes.    Nice job!

Definately want a complete parts list.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 AM
JUCD VPR

looking awesome!! If this works out real good for you i might try it as soon as my motor goes. Nice job!

Definately want a complete parts list.
Thanks man. I actually just did the lock for the bearing but I forgot about the lock tight and first test it screwed itself back out a little so I have to pop it off and lock tight it back together tonight. I'm in the process of trying to program the ESC without the Castle Link which is being a complete pain in my butt. I'll figure it out though eventually...
Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 PM
wormburner62

awesome!   need to see some videos!   would like to see some speed runs and take off to see if it still wheelies as bad with the tranny left stock!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:57 AM
JUCD VPR

I had to order the Castle Link due to not being able to enter the programming mode manually on the Mamba monster ESC. No idea why? I tried everything so I said the heck with it and bought the Castle Link.

It should be here in the next few days, once it comes in, i'll reprogram the ESC to remove the reverse and braking. I hope to have this done by this weekend pending the casle link comes in (I paid priority shipping so it should get here) and try to get some video after testing and tweaking.

So far I am impressed with the ease of the build doing it this way. I just hope the performance is what I am looking for. If not i'll be doing a different motor like the NEU 1527 which is very expensive (265.00 for just the motor) but a beast of a motor.

Plus everything looks pretty good, so i'm happy with that as well.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:33 PM
JUCD VPR

HELP!! lol

I have it all programmed and now I have a big problem. I took out brakes and reverse using the Castle Link programming adapter (Wow super easy to use!) since I am using mechanical brakes. .....

Well NOW when I hit the throttle, the servo applies brakes and I can not figure this out. I've been messing around with it and it's driving me crazy... Any ideas anyone?

PER LOMDEL's build (which I am basically mimicing, he's been helping me alot with this via PM's) He did...

"9 Mechanical braking done by throttle servo via a servo Y-lead. No braking and no reverse programmed into ESC. Because I used a Futaba 3PM system with the Castle ESC, I had to reverse the throttle channel. This resulted in the brake servo applying brakes while holding full throttle. Therefore I had to reverse the servo direction by switching the servo Potentiometer- AND Motor wires and re-soldering them. "

ONly problem is I have no idea what he did to correct this. I sent him a PM so hopefully he gets back to me soon, Just checking if anyone knew how I would go about doing this. (I'd rather not experiment and risk damaging my Mamba ESC or something?)

What is a Potentiometer? I wouls assume since I run the Mamba monster and Castle 2200KV motor I would NOT have to resolder any MOTOR wires correct? I thin I just have to reverse some "Potentiometers? Which I am confused with at the moment. It's getting late though and my head hurts so i'm done for the night. IF anyone knows the answer to this please let me know. I am DYING to get this truck running, now all I need are BRAKES lol!
Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 PM
lomdel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JUCD, are you using a Futaba system with the Mamba Monster? This would require the potentiometer mod, otherwise try reversing the servo direction on your transmitter. Then swap around ANY two motor wires where they plug into the ESC (no soldering). This would result in the throttle servo opening on throttle and the motor spinning in the right direction.

If you are using a Futaba system and have to do the potentiometer mod, there are a lot of info available on that via Google. I found a photo directions to show me how to do it, but don't know where it is now. Just Google " changing potentiometer wires on servo".
Old 02-13-2011, 03:16 PM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: lomdel

JUCD, are you using a Futaba system with the Mamba Monster? This would require the potentiometer mod, otherwise try reversing the servo direction on your transmitter. Then swap around ANY two motor wires where they plug into the ESC (no soldering). This would result in the throttle servo opening on throttle and the motor spinning in the right direction.

If you are using a Futaba system and have to do the potentiometer mod, there are a lot of info available on that via Google. I found a photo directions to show me how to do it, but don't know where it is now. Just Google '' changing potentiometer wires on servo''.
I'm using the STOCK 2.4GHZ Radio that comes with the newer version GST.

OK if I don;t have to reverse anything then I have something wrong in the radio...., it;s doing exactly what yours did and i've changed around the motor wires. I've been reading the manual and I can't figure it out right now...man this is frusterating, but again I have little to no experience with this radio and the manual is a bit confusing....I think I MUST have reversed some setting when I was messing with it the other day...

QUESTION TO ANY GST OWNER WITH THE 2.4GHX CONTROLLER:
What are your stock settings on your transmitter?
Old 02-13-2011, 04:48 PM
JUCD VPR

I definately have something messed up and reversed, I just can;t seem to figure out what the heck it is....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.