Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 26 FS Rusted-In Rear Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Mad Mad Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 26 FS Rusted-In Rear Bearing

I have an OS FS-26 laying around for some time. For a winter project I considered to use in a small plane. Well, it looks like I didn't do a very good job of prepping it for storage as the rear bearing is rusted. Very rusted! I have disassemble the engine except for that @#%% rear bearing. It does not want to come out. I have heated the case in an oven but no luck. I used the crock pot and antifreeze method and still no luck. I fear that the bearing's outer race has "grown" with rust preventing its removal. Short of getting a new crankcase. does anyone have any suggestion(s) on how to remove the rusted-in rear bearing?

Old 01-13-2011, 09:25 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OS 26 FS Rusted-In Rear Bearing

For such occasions, I made a tool out of a cheap flat blade screwdriver. I took a narrow (about 1/4" wide ) common screwdriver and bent about 1/8" of the tip over 90 degrees, then ground it thin enough to just catch on the inner lip of the rear bearing's inner race when going in from the front.

I heat the case, then set it backplate side down on a block of wood...then go in through the front bearing opening w/ the tool...carefully set the tool in position, then tap lightly with a small hammer. Work around a few times re-positioning the tool so you don't cock the bearing in the bore.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:13 PM
rstearman
My Feedback: (185)

Couple things come to mind that I have done in the past.
1. Soak the engine in some good penetrating oil, use some heat and really let the stuff soak-in for a few days. Heat the engine up so the stuff can really soak in, and then let it cool and heat the thing up again. Do this a few times, be patient and let the stuff work. Now try it again, Heat the engine case with a touch evenly from the outside, try not heat up the bearing (use a piece of damp cloth on the bearing or use a steel bar up against the bearing to work as a heat sink). Try driving the bearing out again.
2. If your in a hurry and just can't wait, you can cut the bearing out. Remove the inner parts of the bearing leaving just the outer race and cut the a slit in the outer race trying not to damage the engine case. The bearing should drive right out. I would still soak it with penetrating oil first to reduce the odds of damaging the case.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Mad Mad Max

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I gave the engine a super bath in penetrating oil. I'll give rstearman's trick of oil and heat a go. Then, as a last resort, cut the bearing out. Again, thanks for the advice!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:30 PM
proptop

The method I posted above is MUCH easier than cutting it out! Less likely to damage the case as well.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:16 AM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use some more heat with a torch, make it really hot and then WHACK the back of the crankcase to a piece of wood, I bet it will come out. It has never failed with me
Old 01-14-2011, 04:45 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a stuck bearing recently on a engine I fixed back up. The crankshaft came out without the bearing.
I  use heat on the crankcase (a hot air gun used for heat shrink tubing). I heated up the crankcase until it was too hot to touch (I used leather work gloves). Then I sat the crankcase down on a piece of wood (a 2x4 scrap) and used a short brass rod and a hammer to gingerly tap the offending stuck bearing out. I worked my way around the bearing so it would come out more or less straight. The hammer strokes got stronger and stronger until I saw it start to move and then I just worked my way around the bearing evenly moving it out.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:11 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Use a propane torch! And heat repeatedly ,cooling in between in cold water.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Mad Mad Max

Thanks guys, the bearing is finally out! It took a lot of perseverance with profuse use of penetrating oil, a torch and a brass rod. Now to order new bearing . . . . .
Old 01-14-2011, 05:36 PM
proptop

[8D]
RC-Bearings or Boca will have 'em...
Old 01-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Mad Mad Max

Thanks proptop, I have already placed my order about 4 hours ago! I have done business with Boca and have always received great service and bearings!