Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Cesna 195 Corrugated Surface

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Cesna 195 Corrugated Surface

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:53 AM
jimt50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cesna 195 Corrugated Surface

I seem to have developed an air bubble on the aileron surface. I was very carefull about not useing a heat gun near this area. I contacted Aeroworks to see if they could sell this material but they don't. Does anyone know if you can use CA on this material? I was thinking about injecting CA with a syring to help glue the air bubble back down. Aeroworks said to use low heat to try to put it back into shape but this is not hard or pulled together like heat would do to it. Thanks, Jim
Old 01-07-2011, 06:30 AM
fxstb

Default RE: Cesna 195 Corrugated Surface

Wrong info sorry.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 AM
smperry
My Feedback: (4)

I have exactly the same problem with one aileron on my 195. It is on the lower surface, but it is so pronounced that it needs to be fixed or it will cause aerodynamic and control problems.

The corrugated plastic that covers the aileron looks to be about 5 or 10 thou plasticard molded into corrugations. It seems to have become de-laminated from the aileron.

My first inclination is to drill a few 1/16" holes and squirt in some CA and press it together. On second thought, Perhaps it might be better to attempt to peel it off and re-attach it better. I think the corrugated plastic is simply glued to the already covered surface. I should be able to gently pry it loose along the TE, lift it up a bit and slather some epoxy in between and then use a couple of pieces of wood to clamp it flat till the glue cures. Have to be careful to line up the pre-drilled holes for the control horn.

Too bad the hinges are factory installed, it would be an easier fix if I could remove the aileron. Even more too bad the factory QC guy didn't catch it...twice now.

sp
Old 01-08-2011, 06:28 AM
jimt50

I also thought to use CA and inject it with a syringe but don't know if this material is CA safe. Then I thought that if I could peel it up and put some epoxy down that it might solve the problem. These air bubble's showed up after being out of the box for a few day's. Let me know if you do this and how it works out. Thanks, Jim
Old 01-13-2011, 07:22 AM
jimt50

Howdy,
Just wondering if you fixed your Cesna 195 and how did it go? Was the plastic easy to get off? Was the corragated material glued in the spot where the air bubble was or was it just glued to the edges? Sorry about all the questions but it seems to have shown up on the elevator's as well as the wings. Thanks, Jim
Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 AM
smperry

I haven't gotten around to fooling with the aileron. I've been working at installing the gear in the fuselage lately.

I still haven't figured out posting photos to this forum yet. I will take some photos of the aileron fix and hopefully I can get them posted. Kind of at a stopping point on the fuselage, so I'll try to get the aileron done this evening.

sp
Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 AM
smperry

Unbefreakinlievable

The wing panels have been sitting in their quilted wing bag for several weeks now. They are out in my work shed. It got below freezing last night, probably not quite that cold in the shed. I pulled the wings out to get ready to fix the de-laminated surface of the aileron. It had set right down just like it is supposed to. It was bad enough to be a problem and now it's not. I have no idea if it was sitting for 3 weeks or the cold weather, but both surfaces of both ailerons are just like they are supposed to be. I set the wing panel out on a table in the sun to see if it warps up again. If it does I'll go ahead with the fix, if not I'll see if it stays right.

More when the wing has had a chance to warm up some.
sp
Old 01-13-2011, 12:16 PM
smperry

Well three hours in the sun and the corrugations are still flat as they are supposed to be. I would have never thought this would happen when I first looked at it. It was raised up 3/16" in some places. It looked bad and would have affected the aileron like a bad trim tab. No way I could have just gone with it. Now it has flattened itself out and looks like it is supposed to.

Jim:
If you have a cold garage or shed, you might try leaving your wing panel in there a few days. I'm not even sure the cold did it, but I can't think of any other reason why that big whip-a diddle flattened itself out.

Looks like the corrugated plastic is attached directly on top of the covered aileron. That makes for a tricky surgery if you want to use a blade to pry between the covering and card at the TE. OTOH, if you drill a hole for CA in the middle of the bump or bubble, you don't want to drill through the underlying covering if possible. Both are tricky fixes. My problem was on an under side of an aileron and even a messed up fix would be hard to see. What side of the aileron is your problem on?

sp
Old 01-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Mark Dennis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the delay in getting this out to you guys, we wanted to find a simple and effective way of fixing this issue. I believe we have found the best way to fix them and I have attached a step by step guide showing exactly how to do it.

Please let us know if you have any other questions regarding this issue.

Thank You,
Mark Dennis
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ec87577.pdf (82.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-14-2011, 03:13 PM
smperry

My aileron looked exactly like the first photo in .pdf. I was prepared to pry up the edge, glue and clamp with blocks just like you showed. When I pulled it out of the bag it had flattened right out. I first noticed the bubble when I unpacked the kit the day it arrived. The wings have been sitting in their wing bags for about a month. When I pulled them out to do the fix, they were flat as a piece of corrugated card can be. Needless to say I poked, prodded and picked at it a bit, but it appears to be secure and there is no sign of a bulge. Only thing I can think of was the generally low temperatures in my shed over the past month.

Fifty years of modeling and something unexplained finally works out to my benefit. You have no idea how nervous that makes me :-)

Really great job on the repair instructions. That's first rate customer support in my book.
sp
Old 01-15-2011, 04:45 AM
jimt50

Aeroworks has had alot of warranty repairas on this. I have spoken with Tom from Aeroworks and they have come up with a fix that they are going to put on as an addendum. I had sent them pictures of my wing's. At first they were going to send me new wings and then called me back with this fix. If it does come up or bubble just use a lomg CA applicator and go up the small holes on the corragated part of the plastic on the TE edge. Use a little CA and go slow and press down. They say that this works good. I think that this material is temperature sensitive and changes with hot and cold but this is what they told me to do.
I have not done mine yet I have had a family emergency which has come up and can't get back to the plane yet. Thanks for your feedback, Jim
Old 01-16-2011, 05:35 AM
jimt50

I agree, great customer support. Thank you to Tom and Mark of Aeroworks. Jim