Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:07 AM
stalyoni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

I know i need help pete.

Yah the mini swift is great. Hope you have fun with it mate. I am considering getting one myself.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:09 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: stalyoni
I know i need help pete.
Yah the mini swift is great. Hope you have fun with it mate. I am considering getting one myself.
Hey again Brendon,

I looks like you are beyond that level of fixed wings now - may I suggest a [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14564]jet from the AUS warehouse[/link]??
A guy came to the heli-meet (outdoors due to sunny weather) with one of these yesterday avo and it sounds great passing overhead - now I'm sorry that I didn't charge up my cam-glasses - d@mn!!

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. sorry to get OT guys[sm=confused_smile.gif] - back to the Lama4...........[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 11-24-2010, 10:23 AM
CFDfireman

ORIGINAL: zzip

How stupid of me....... the battery has 1 dead cell! A friend of mine tested it properly for me {I'm mostly a glow plane guy}. Ran down to the LHS, got a new one, and I'm up and running!!!

Thanks for the quick replies and tips CDF.

Joe
Happy to hear your back in the air

@Stal, Nice vids. And nice looking plane. Truth be told, I can hardly afford to keep my 2 helis airbourne[]

@Peter, No problem going OT. That is what make's a thread more interesting No boredom here

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day here. My plan is to eat as much turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce as possible. To all my American friends...Happy Thanksgiving !! How's that for OT

Have a good one all,
Mike.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:36 AM
katoace

Eh, not completely off topic. I mean a turkey does have wings does it not? And i plan on breaking a pair of turkey wings just like a pair of stock lama wings during a minor crash. Happy thanksgivings................................Kato

Old 11-24-2010, 10:42 AM
katoace

And just to stay completely on topic here is a recent vid of my modded Lama. Enjoy...........[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex5z1HbWIIU[/youtube]..........peace
Old 11-25-2010, 06:59 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: katoace
And just to stay completely on topic here is a recent vid of my modded Lama. Enjoy...........[/youtube]..........peace
Hey again Kato,

Really nice mate![sm=thumbs_up.gif] I did enjoy that house tour - even the bathtub landing

P.S. What do the markings on your blades look like when stationary? They look d@mn good when spinning anyway
Old 11-26-2010, 02:45 PM
katoace

Thanks bro. The markings are actually modifications done to the wings to give the lama a more stable flight with less blade strike. Kinda hard to explain. I'll put up a few pics of it if anyone's interested in seeing it. My little key chain cam is acting screwy right now though so could be a while.......Kato
Old 11-26-2010, 06:00 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: katoace
Thanks bro. The markings are actually modifications done to the wings to give the lama a more stable flight with less blade strike. Kinda hard to explain. I'll put up a few pics of it if anyone's interested in seeing it. My little key chain cam is acting screwy right now though so could be a while.......Kato
Hey again Kato,

I would love to see your awesome blades when they are still - they look so great spinning up[sm=tongue_smile.gif]

P.S. For your viewing pleasure - I fly these blades - although [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joCgmQE-q-Y&feature=player_embedded]THIS[/link] is NOT me!
Old 12-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Disney1

Merry Christmas All.
Just found that
US Hobby Supply is running a Half Off sale on everything in the store.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:17 PM
jnail

hey guys, long time no see. well, its winter again, and there's 2 feet of snow on the ground, so I am indoors flying again. I think my poor old llama needs some new motors. one was making some strange noises, so i swapped it out with an older one, which was better, but not by much. So i think it is time to bite the bullet and give it some well deserved new power!

My question is.... what is the motor of choice these days? and who has them in stock in the USA?

Are people still flying the old v4 llama? or is it time to move on to a new bird?

I have considered something bigger, but the reality of it is that I mainly fly in the winter, and in the house. I have too many other addictions like fishing that keep me busy when the weather is warm enough to fly outside.

Thanks for the input,

Jeff
Old 01-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Gothic

ORIGINAL: jnail

hey guys, long time no see. well, its winter again, and there's 2 feet of snow on the ground, so I am indoors flying again. I think my poor old llama needs some new motors. one was making some strange noises, so i swapped it out with an older one, which was better, but not by much. So i think it is time to bite the bullet and give it some well deserved new power!

My question is.... what is the motor of choice these days? and who has them in stock in the USA?

Are people still flying the old v4 llama? or is it time to move on to a new bird?

I have considered something bigger, but the reality of it is that I mainly fly in the winter, and in the house. I have too many other addictions like fishing that keep me busy when the weather is warm enough to fly outside.

Thanks for the input,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm still around. Still play with my 4 Lamas. I still use the Xtreme 180 motors. AFC is the same motor.
A few of the guys like Peter and myself are getting into 450 Trex clones. The lamas got me hooked but now ready to take on a new challenge.

G.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Edmund2

Jeff, it is summer over here but with all the rain and wind also limited to indoors flying when the grandchildren are asleep, they are going back home in two weeks time. If you do not yet have aBig Lama, get one. I have two and when bored with the zippy L4 (now that it is set up again) I haul out the BL's to fly just below ceiling level, up the stairsand through doorways.

Edmund
Old 01-11-2011, 11:19 PM
pgroom_68

Thanks for the input,
Hey again Jeff,

Nice to read there are a few Lama4s still being used......Gothic is correct - there are four commonly available types of 180 motors......AFC Systems, Xtremes, Supreme (or "aeronuts") and original Esky. All types are available in the US at Helitek-RC.com (but I'm afraid the majority are out of stock). Another US source is Jamie @ BoomTownHobbies.com - he has [link=http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtreme_SE180_Bearing_motors_pair_p/esl031-fslash-2.htm]Xtremes @ $24/pair[/link] (& original Esky) in stock ATM. If you install these bearing motors you can buy separate [link=http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtreme_motor_brushes_carbon_4_p/esl003.htm]brushes[/link] for them next time it shows weakening motor power........

Re. size options - have you tried the blade mSR - it is very stable and small[sm=50_50.gif]

Hope that helps

P.S. I am trying to transition to [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14571]450-size[/link] helicopters - after this weekend's build I will see if I'm a successful pilot or not[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 01-14-2011, 01:37 PM
jnail

[quote]ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

Nice P.S. I am trying to transition to [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14571]450-size[/link] helicopters - after this weekend's build I will see if I'm a successful pilot or not[sm=49_49.gif]
Peter, that heli looks pretty sweet. I think I would chop my head off with it right now though! Thanks for the info on the motors, Not much has changed from last year. I am thinking of going to some sort of fixed pitch heli next, but not sure.

jeff
Old 01-15-2011, 03:47 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68
Nice P.S. I am trying to transition to [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14571]450-size[/link] helicopters - after this weekend's build I will see if I'm a successful pilot or not[sm=49_49.gif]
Peter, that heli looks pretty sweet. I think I would chop my head off with it right now though! Thanks for the info on the motors, Not much has changed from last year. I am thinking of going to some sort of fixed pitch heli next, but not sure.
Hey again Jeff,

If you're not confident enough to take the leap to a 450 and want to progress through a Fixed Pitch may I suggest that you try a Honeybee FP v2. I have successfully mastered flying that after a number of easy-fixed crashes that don't break the bank! [link=http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=IMHO]IMHO[/link] other birds are a [link=http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=WOFTAM]WOFTAM[/link]

Edit: It seems that [link=http://www.helidirect.com/esky-honey-bee-fixed-pitch-c-1_29_223_681.hdx]HeliDirect.com[/link] hasn't yet restocked for 2011[sm=thumbs_down.gif], NOR has [link=http://www.xheli.com/eskyfp.html]Xheli.com[/link] - those two sites will usually be the first to restock....................so I guess you also have to play the waiting game[sm=what_smile.gif][sm=confused_smile.gif]
Old 01-15-2011, 07:18 AM
CFDfireman

Peter, helidirect are still sold out on the HBFP V2 for $104.00. They did stock up around the beginning of Dec. I had my eye on one as well. They must have FLOWN off the shelves[X(] (pun)..lol

Sorry I haven't been around. Hope all you guys had a wonderful Holiday and New Year

Mike.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:32 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: CFDfireman
Peter, helidirect are still sold out on the HBFP V2 for $104.00. They did stock up around the beginning of Dec. I had my eye on one as well. They must have FLOWN off the shelves[X(] (pun)..lol
Sorry I haven't been around. Hope all you guys had a wonderful Holiday and New Year
Hey again & thanks for that Mike!!

Old 01-16-2011, 01:15 AM
stalyoni

guys dont even bother with the esky honeybee fixed pitch v2. Instead get the new eflite blade sr 120. Its the best fixed pitch park flyer that money will buy. Its very stable and very easy to fly. I have owned the honeybee fixed pitch v2 and it doesnt even come close to compare with the eflite blade sr 120.

BTW pete is right the blade msr is such a fun little heli. I own that as well and have modified it for outdoor flight. By using a swashplate with extended throws on it. Gives it alot more control.

I have moved onto planes mainly now. But my favourite and best heli is my sr120. Its such a great llittle heli once you learn how to fly it.

Guys dont waist your money with the esky crap. Eflite is so much better. Get yourself a dx6i or dx7 and you wont look back. I wish i had got the cx2 instead of the v4 lama all those years ago. I waisted so much money modifing my v4 lama to fly outdoors. Now they bring out the blade sr120 which IMO is the best parkflyer heli available.

Just take a look what is capable with mine:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMwdUOJatUY&hd=1[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGb76SkVYCs&hd=1[/youtube]

BTW pete whens the next meet up mate? Im keen to bring down my umx beast plane and see what i can do with it indoors. I can bring the sr120 too.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:39 AM
pgroom_68

[/youtube]
[/youtube]
BTW Pete whens the next meet up mate? Im keen to bring down my umx beast plane and see what i can do with it indoors. I can bring the sr120 too.
Hey again Brendon,

Happy new Year mate!
You're in luck - This Tuesday night (18th Jan) @ 7pm - so we can fly a bit outdoors first then move inside if there is wind or rain? If I don't get a reply from you - I will be there then anyway mate! Please bring along an msr for me to fly as I don't have anything small to fly indoors. I have a [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=15024]Mini Swift[/link] that you recommended I try (thanks again) - and that is all that is air-worthy ATM......

I am in the process of building myself a [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14571]HK-450GT[/link] from this kit - I call mine Incognito Mosquito. The 450s are not affected by winds up to 20kts due to their rotor speed and body size!

Edit: Here's a pic of "I.M.":
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41254.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1548728  
Old 01-16-2011, 08:44 AM
stalyoni

yeah happy new year pete. Im looking to get myself a mini swift real soon. All i can say is good luck with the HK 450. You have alot of heli there mate and i hope it doesnt like taking dirt naps like my blade sr did. Anyways i replied to your PM.

See you on tuesday night mate.

Bring the swift.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:36 PM
jnail

[quote]ORIGINAL: stalyoni

guys dont even bother with the esky honeybee fixed pitch v2. Instead get the new eflite blade sr 120. Its the best fixed pitch park flyer that money will buy. Its very stable and very easy to fly. I have owned the honeybee fixed pitch v2 and it doesnt even come close to compare with the eflite blade sr 120.

BTW pete is right the blade msr is such a fun little heli. I own that as well and have modified it for outdoor flight. By using a swashplate with extended throws on it. Gives it alot more control.

I have moved onto planes mainly now. But my favourite and best heli is my sr120. Its such a great llittle heli once you learn how to fly it.

Guys dont waist your money with the esky crap. Eflite is so much better. Get yourself a dx6i or dx7 and you wont look back. I wish i had got the cx2 instead of the v4 lama all those years ago. I waisted so much money modifing my v4 lama to fly outdoors. Now they bring out the blade sr120 which IMO is the best parkflyer heli available.

How does the size of the blade compare to the honeybee fp v2?

is there an fp that is a little bigger?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:15 PM
pgroom_68

yeah happy new year pete. Im looking to get myself a mini swift real soon. All i can say is good luck with the HK 450. You have alot of heli there mate and i hope it doesnt like taking dirt naps like my blade sr did. Anyways i replied to your PM.
See you on tuesday night mate.
Bring the swift.
Hey again Brendon,

Will do (re. swift) mate! Got your PM - it's all good! You're right that the 450 is "alot of heli" - I'm being very careful to build it properly following the lead of Rob from the 450 forum - he dropped by on his way to USA last weekend.... Unfortunately we came across a snag during our marathon build and had to give up the idea of completing it to the flying stage in one sitting The motor & servos are in - but the Rx & ESC aren't yet - he is dropping by again to complete it later.
Can't say that I will be doing the test flying mate - it will probably by Rob - but when I do eventually get everything set up I'll be trying to avoid hitting the ground at all costs - believe me!!

P.S. If Tuesday is no good - we could make it Wednesdays this year! Drop me another PM if that is better for you mate.....
Old 01-16-2011, 10:20 PM
pgroom_68

Hey again Jeff,

The Blade SR120 (correct me if I'm wrong Brendon - as I've never seen one "in the flesh") I think is about the size of a Lama4......
If you mean is there a FP that is bigger than the SR120 - there is I'm sure! You will have to do the searching for it though - 'cause all the outlets that I have bookmarked seem to have most helicopters out of stock ATM[X(]
Still, they should have new stock arriving in a few weeks..........patience mate

P.S. Most fliers keep a smaller FP bird to fly around indoors when the weather turns fowl out - depending on how big are your doorways!!![sm=regular_smile.gif], whilst experimenting with larger CCPM birds (with high head speeds) outdoors so it factors out the wind! Just my 2c.........[sm=omg_smile.gif]
Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 AM
stalyoni

just got back earlier this arvo from my holiday pete. Picked up my car. Just need to put some petrol in it and ill be right for tuesday night ok. I will have to go down to the LHS and see if i can get the new tail assembly for the msr.

Hmm to be honest pete the sr120 is a little shorter then the lama v4. I am actually using a cut down extreme canopy for the lama v4 on my sr120 right now. I have velcro inside of the nose of it and this is where i mount my lipo via a lipo sling. This also gives it a little bit of weight up in the nose and helps with fast forward flight.

Just text me pete if you cant make it tomorrow night.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:01 PM
jnail

OK, duh! move here. I took my motors out of my lama v4, and marked which plug on the 4 in one the front and rear motors went to, and I also marked the orientation of the plugs. BUT, what I forgot was WHICH motor is the front motor! A or B! I am assuming that the A motor runs the A blades and same for the B's. But which motor belongs in the front of the heli, and plugs into the lower plug on the 4 in 1? please help!

I am currently searching all the pages of this thread to see if I can find a pic, but its alot of pages!

thanks, jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.