Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Radian foam fix? What glue to use?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Radian foam fix? What glue to use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM
RickShane
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radian foam fix? What glue to use?

I cracked the foam on my Radian with a nose landingon the bottom of the fuse where the cowl ends. The crack is all the way through on the bottomand goes up each side of the fuse about half way. If I pull up on the motor and open the crack I can see through it by looking into the canopy area. What kind of glue should I repair this with? Will epoxy be ok? I didn'tnotice it and put another flight on it, and still didn't notice anything ntil Isaw the silver stripe tape bent out when Iwas putting it in the car.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44187.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1550487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59870.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1550488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15390.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1550489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl26945.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1550490  
Old 01-20-2011, 11:09 AM
RickShane
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Radian foam fix? What glue to use?

I am going to try and upload some photos. I've been having problems with this site. If I upload any photos it just sits there, and then I can't get back onto the site at all. I have to go to another computer to get on. What's up with that? I've never had this problem when uploading photos before.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:03 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

A lot of guys recomend WELDER contact cement as it stays flexable.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 PM
eastcoast

I would Try Gorilla Glue. (the White Kind) Walmart/Michaels Crafts should carry it. GG foams up and gets in every nook and cranny. Dampen one side of your crack. Then get some GG on the other part.For the texture of the foam when it cracks. You could use a old foam Brush etc... and dab it around.The more you use and the more water used ,the more it foams.
Its super flexible,easy too sand. I tape my Seams with painters tape and it keeps the foaming action down. Or it you want too watch it, just keep a eye on it and wipe the excess foaming glue with a damp Scott Towel. Sets in about 20 mins or so.

Try it you'll like it

Old 01-22-2011, 03:55 PM
tlar

park Zone says normal medium CA. I used epoxy but others use the CA by speaying one surface with CA kicker then the other they put the CA. Push together and its stronger than foam.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:07 PM
TIA

ORIGINAL: eastcoast

I would Try Gorilla Glue. (the White Kind) Walmart/Michaels Crafts should carry it. GG foams up and gets in every nook and cranny. Dampen one side of your crack. Then get some GG on the other part.For the texture of the foam when it cracks. You could use a old foam Brush etc... and dab it around.The more you use and the more water used ,the more it foams.
Its super flexible,easy too sand. I tape my Seams with painters tape and it keeps the foaming action down. Or it you want too watch it, just keep a eye on it and wipe the excess foaming glue with a damp Scott Towel. Sets in about 20 mins or so.

Try it you'll like it

X2!

Been there, done that, works well.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:42 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Medium regular CA with kicker/accelerator is what I use.  works great!