Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Earthquake 8E - Owner reviews

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:23 PM
captphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earthquake 8E - Owner reviews

Greetings fellow racers,
I am awaiting my Earthquake 8E from RedCat Racing. I have watched many You Tube clips of this beast. It looks like it is durable and fun. I was hoping I could get a candid review of anyone that owns one of these. Are there any things I should be aware of in setting it up such as ESC, shock oil, diff grease,....etc. I have ordered the wheelie bar as it looks very prone to flipping. I bought my car from URC Hobby and they look to have a slew of parts and I have read they have a great customer service.
I would appreciate any help on this topic.
Thanks
Phil
Old 01-17-2011, 04:17 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Earthquake 8E - Owner reviews

Hey Phil, welcome to the fold I would turn the punch down to get used to the awesome power the Earthquake has. Check all screws and have some fun. Kurt has some nice chargers for the lipo batteries. The stock one is to slow. Hopfully Redcat beefed up the diffs... there is a great thread on here about the diffs. You will not be disapointed by URCHobby... Kurt is a great dealer!!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you will want to watch the utube vids on how to shim the diffs. plan on doing it before you run it.

i will be buying an earthquake 8e with my tax returns. i plan on buying the wheely bar.
im gonna shim the diffs, add some grease.
i may buy the alloy steering knuckles right off the batt. there is one youtube vid where the owner complains the stock plastic ones being weak.
i have the volcano, tornado, lightning....and the plastics seem pretty tough. i didnt break anything until it got cold out. in the cold the plastics got weaker(brittle)
i think there is a program card for the ezrun ESC. it will allow you to set the ABS, drag brake, punch control and more. i will get it with my 8E(i think rufaster or urchobby has it) so that i can turn down the punch control a tad. should make it more drivable on loose dirt and help the drivetrain last longer.

i think the 8e's are decent. they may need a few of the alloy upgrades to be really good, but then its a 1/8 brushless RTR with lipo for just $300! at that price, its worth the cost of adding a few upgrades IMO.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 AM
formula87

Gosh everyone is getting the EQ 8e I want to change mine back now......... Yes turn down the punchand I think Redcat has fixed the Diff issues.
I have had some friends with new EQ 8s and they just went thru it and maybe had to shim the pinion (maybe) I would just check it over good and let the gears break in a bit then do a final diff check. Have Fun!!! Oh..... and for any problems or parts Kurt@URCHobby is your man!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:18 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 on Kurt!!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:01 PM
formula87

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

you will want to watch the utube vids on how to shim the diffs. plan on doing it before you run it.

i will be buying an earthquake 8e with my tax returns. i plan on buying the wheely bar.
im gonna shim the diffs, add some grease.
i may buy the alloy steering knuckles right off the batt. there is one youtube vid where the owner complains the stock plastic ones being weak.
i have the volcano, tornado, lightning....and the plastics seem pretty tough. i didnt break anything until it got cold out. in the cold the plastics got weaker(brittle)
i think there is a program card for the ezrun ESC. it will allow you to set the ABS, drag brake, punch control and more. i will get it with my 8E(i think rufaster or urchobby has it) so that i can turn down the punch control a tad. should make it more drivable on loose dirt and help the drivetrain last longer.

i think the 8e's are decent. they may need a few of the alloy upgrades to be really good, but then its a 1/8 brushless RTR with lipo for just $300! at that price, its worth the cost of adding a few upgrades IMO.

I got my programer from Kurt@URCHobby $28 very easy to use and works great! I still am running my stock knuckles and have extras from Kurt@URCHobby!!! he hsa the 8e online for $289.00 shipped!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:16 AM
redcat73

I JUST ORDERD MY EARTHQUAKE 8E CANT WAIT TO GET THIS BEAST ITS BEEN YEARS SINCE IVE HAD A NEW VEHICLE MY LAST WAS A BRUSHED LOSI JRXT THE BRUSHLESS LOOK WICKED FAST  IVE GOT  A DURATRAX WARHEAD BUT I THINK THE BRUSHLESS WILL BE SWEET EVERYONE SEEMS TO LIKE THIS VEHICLE ???
Old 01-21-2011, 04:48 PM
captphil

Thanks for all the great tips and info. i received mine and have already taken it out for a spin. My first advice is don't start to drive this beast in the street. I connected with a curb before I could break and I am off to a few part replacements. One thing I must say for the parts to fix RedCats is they are reasonably priced. My Kyosho Turbo Optima (a name from the past) used to cost me an arm and a leg to replace parts, and they always were sold in sets, many times with things I did not need at that time. Even after a temporary fix it still runs like a demon. I see that the ESC programmer is out of stock with Kurt, but I deffinitely need to tune this down a bit. It's a bit to agressive for me to get a good feel for things (before I end up with to many fixes). As for the diffs, do they come will grease and if not what weight should I be using. I will slowly break them in then look to shim them. Are the shims easily available or do I need to make something.
Thanks again for all the posts.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:31 PM
formula87

You got it from Kurt@URCHobby right?  call him 1(516)499-7419 he is probably in now......  he can get you the prgmr when they come in he just got a big shippment everything may not be on the site......
http://www.urchobby.com/proddetail.p...d=81069&cat=81 shim kit should have everything you would need.  There is not much of anything in the diffs.     Depending on if you are going to run on track or bash I run more track and have 5000wt in the frnt 7000wt in the center and 2000 in rear diff and a little grease on the ring and pinion.......
Old 01-24-2011, 10:17 AM
captphil

Thanks for the tip on diff. weights. I'll reach out to Kurt and ask him a few questions on programing the ESC. I'll also order the washer set to have on hand.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:30 PM
sherwoodGS

based on your recommendations, i' ve been emailing and calling kurt for 2 days.  no response.  oh well.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:06 AM
formula87

ORIGINAL: sherwoodGS

based on your recommendations, i' ve been emailing and calling kurt for 2 days. no response. oh well.

He will get back to you somtimes calling him is the best way for me. He works at the RC shop in the evenings and he is in NY try PM'n him on here he usaually gets back with me but I always end up calling him mostly after 7.00pm......... Call him