Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

New gas mono shopping

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

New gas mono shopping

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: New gas mono shopping

If I was going to keep the grey Vee-Rod and revive it, that was going to go to Joe to repaint. Highly visible colors are a big plus. As long as the boat is running what color it is isn't a big concern. When it's dead on the water you're worrying that someone else can't see it and it becomes a ski jump ramp or worse. When a CD calls "dead boat off 4!" and nobody else can see it, then you worry.
Seeing how Eric will be driving it most of the time and old dad trying to get him more involved in decisions, he said "no yellow" as I had a tendency to paint most of mine that color for a while. This time I asked him what color he wanted and I got a "I dunno but not yellow". I'm getting my 'riggers painted in lime/Kaw green tubs with white sponsons so I figured that this boat could follow the same paint scheme.
My Lazer 45 was Panther Pink which is more towards magenta but the color really didn't pop until it hit the sunlight then it looked too pink.

Neil, there's always a clown in the bunch! Usually it's me.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:24 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Magenta i just aquired some gelcoat that colour,wonder what an Apache in black hull and Magenta top would look like .
Old 01-16-2011, 05:04 PM
MrMikeG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

too bad you couldn't get GPS guidance to deliver it to Ron!
Post a pic when you get it done, would be very Cool in my book!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Ron Olson

Hey Mike! Yes, I may have to do a build thread on it. I have almost everything sitting here already to throw one together so it should go together quickly. The plan is to toss and RCMK R-254 in it for something a little different but we'll see how it goes otherwise there is an Evo on standby.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Ron Olson

Here's the latest.
I've been talking to Denny Cantavespri a lot the past few days, a great guy to talk to. It's either him calling me or the other way around. It looks like the Rampage is going to be the new mono in the house! It's getting laid up in Kawasaki/lime green on top with a white bottom. My kid wanted it pink but tough, dad's paying for it!
Denny said that it should only take a week or a hair longer to get it to me, a surprise as I was figuring a month to at least 6 weeks.
Denny took a new hull over to Carlo's (CC Racing) for him to look at it then the next thing he knew, Carlo and he staerted a building marathon and had this one done in 2 days; done by Saturday night and on the water Sunday. He's got it put away right now for the Winter Nat's next weekend.
This was supposed ot be under wraps but Carlo let the cat out of the bag so I guess that it's OK to post the pix that Denny sent me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95396.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	1551152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58277.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1551153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36318.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1551154  
Old 01-25-2011, 10:07 AM
OldSkoolMC

I'm kind of a GAS boat noobie, but looking over the IMPBA current world records it looks like for Mono the seaducer hulls have it all wrapped up in every GAS category event.

http://www.impba.net/attachments/063...02010%20NF.pdf
Old 01-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Ron Olson

That's nice.
Ever see a Seadunker run? Wonder why they're called Subducers?
Not too many people go for the mono records so that's why Jerry Crowther holds those. Most people like the faster boats like the Cat's and 'riggers when going for the gas class records. SAW and 2-lap records are one thing, heat racing is another. You want a boat that can handle up to 5 others on the water, not just running by itself.
Go over to www.metimeliverc.com this weekend or any time for that matter and watch the videos of the gas mono classes. You'll see a few Seaducer's but not that many.
True, it's not just the boat but it takes someone who can set one up properly. There are a few guys who could make a cement block haul and others who can take the best hull and engine and make it look bad.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:52 PM
mtchbnntt
My Feedback: (2)

How so Very True, Ron! Sometimes i see boats run and i ask myself "how in the heck is that boat running that good" and other times i say "what in the heck is wrong with that thing"
ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

True, it's not just the boat but it takes someone who can set one up properly. There are a few guys who could make a cement block haul and others who can take the best hull and engine and make it look bad.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:55 PM
mtchbnntt
My Feedback: (2)

Those pics of this Rampage do it no justice. This is got to be one of the Baddest boats out there!! Its Absolutely gorgeous! A great color combo.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Ron Olson

I figure that with Carlo and Denny both thrashing on it in a 16 hour marathon that it was still done right. I'll be watching the webcast of the race this weekend so hopefully I'll get a chance to see it and the other Rampage's run.
I've only got to order a few things yet to finish it up, a prop, cable, trim tabs and a few other odds and ends as just about everything else is already sitting here. My son will be kept busy also getting all of those parts polished up. I want him more involved with this build.
Mitch, the money is in the mail so you may see my boat before I do. Are you working on the lay-up?

I really shouldn't pick on the Subducers a lot as in the right hands, they're great boats. I've seen some that didn't follow Jerry's directions to the letter and were terrible as they must have thought that they knew more than he does. I really' like low-profile hulls but you can go too far and when you hit a wave they turn into submarines.
Quick side story while we're talkiing 'ducer's. I went to a race over in Milford, MI, NW of Detroit and one was hauling down the front straight. It hit a wave head-on and did its diving act. While underwater, another boat over the top of it. The amazing thing was that the 'ducer resurfaced and kept right on going! I doubt if I'll ever see anything like that again.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:10 PM
01VIPER27

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you seen this Ron? Its American made. 76" Scarab by Tony of WHH. It is an impressive looking boat in person.You can even put a full 8" faction figure in the cockpit.

http://api.ning.com/files/2k0T6xx15U...I/IMG_1111.JPG

http://api.ning.com/files/h45zcOLS24...K/IMG_1112.JPG
Old 01-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Ron Olson

That thing is huge!!!! The problem is that it's way over the maximum length for racing as we're limited to 60". There was a movement around for giant scale boats but it kind of faded away except for possibly one event a year.
I have enough trouble now getting what I have in and out of my basement. Something that big would almost need a permanent residence in my trailer. I really need a garage..........
Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 AM
OldSkoolMC

Yeah, well I was just mentioning the seaducer... I'm personally not into them. I like the looks and build quality of the Rico Offshore Classic for a mono, but as I said I don't race and have one for sport boating. I also like the AC Razor/Lasor hulls. From a racingstandpoint, I would go out on a limb and say most races are won by driver skill if there are class rules in place. Atleast the races I've been in seem to turn out that way. I really don't think racing hull brand X vs. Y is going to make a huge difference. (Engines on the other hand )

As for that 76" Scarab - that's a little over the top IMO, but to each his own I guess. lol - might as well put a seat on that thing and ride around on it.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:41 AM
01VIPER27

A littleHISTORY on this boat for those interested,it is from the same mold where the Miami Vice TV Series (original) prop boat came from. The original sold for a VERYLARGEAMOUNT to theMiami Vice filmcrew.

Hmnnn.... If only I had a water front home...
Old 01-26-2011, 12:57 PM
mistycreekboats

ORIGINAL: 01VIPER27

A littleHISTORY on this boat for those interested,it is from the same mold where the Miami Vice TV Series (original) prop boat came from. The original sold for a VERYLARGEAMOUNT to theMiami Vice filmcrew.

That only goes to show you how DATED this hull is - pretty much impractical for anything - and too 'dated' to run with the modern hulls. there is a reason these no longer sell. I would imagine even finshed you would have to takea huge loss to sell it.

Yep does look like "Miami Vice' - 'out ofstyleand dated looking' ........... unless your still dancing to disco or driving a Pinto orVega - ............ lol

As for 'scale look' - I'm sure Ken and Barbie are impressed ......... after all it's bigger than my retrive boat ..................
Old 01-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Ron Olson

I'm afraid that the Winter Nat's are going to slow down a few things.
Seeing how Denny is going and I just bought a radio box for the Rampage from Lamar Huff and he doesn't miss many races around him.
The webcast is up and running already. Doug and Kerri got to Orlando about 2 AM and were webcasting practice sessions already this afternoon.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:15 PM
01VIPER27

ORIGINAL: mistycreekboats

ORIGINAL: 01VIPER27

That only goes to show you how DATED this hull is - pretty much impractical for anything - and too 'dated' to run with the modern hulls. there is a reason these no longer sell. I would imagine even finshed you would have to takea huge loss to sell it.

Yep does look like "Miami Vice' - 'out ofstyleand dated looking' ........... unless your still dancing to disco or driving a Pinto orVega - ............ lol

As for 'scale look' - I'm sure Ken and Barbie are impressed ......... after all it's bigger than my retrive boat ..................
No disrespect on your thread Ron, just to set Misty straight - Yes I did sayHISTORY and from the ORIGINAL MOLD. It was heavy then and yes ran at 25 MPH top speed and thatWAS a fact.
IT was September 2010 when I attended a family function in Florida and heldit with my own hands when I dropped in un-announced at WHH's shop.At 76", it only weighed no more than 8.5 lbs with the PRESENT technology (and runs on a single M6 at 40 MPH), I know this because my 64" Fountain weighs 8 lbs bare hull. This boatin my opinion is better looking than any apache hull that is on the market. With all due respect, PM me if you like or find out more through Tony of WHH but lets not discuss this on Ron's thread.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 PM
mistycreekboats

No Disrespect .......

1. Misty is a Dog we named our company after my name is Randy / has been posted MANYtimes
2. The thread WAS about Ron's new mono for racing - how exactly does a 76" boat fit that
3. We have all read about your fountain
4. Most my current 45" name brand mono's weigh 7 to 7.5 pounds ...... 76" weighs 8 ........ ah okay
5. I'm not now nor have any plan's for WHH products ... good starter stuff but I'm a little beyound that thanks .. so don't hold your breath for any WHH pm's

Have a nice day Jun

Sorry Ron ........... I had too

Randy
Old 01-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Ron Olson

Tis cool guys.
I specifically posted this thread here and not over at the Dock for a reason, I knew what would happen to the thread as I've seen it many times before. I did reply on someone else's thread that I was also mono shopping, kind of looking over his shoulder in a way watching his thread. As I expected over there which did not happen here was that I started getting inundated with PM's from people wanting to sell me their boats and/or manufacturers coming in and touting their hulls.
I started off with a decent sized list then whittled it down. Some were insanely priced or others just weren't fitting what I wanted. I didn't care that much (although some) on race wins but more on owner feedback. The videos that I did manage to find on the Rampage showed me a boat that also fit mine and my sons driving style I thought that I could get a hull that hardly anyone around here had then I found out that Chris Rupley has one also. Now, Chris seems to be one of those guys that could drop a Zen on a cement block and make it haul as I've seen what he can do with his other boats.

If anyone does have any advice on setting up this boat, I also welcome those types of comments here. I saw that Marc Levac has a build thread on MGB and Carlo is supposed to have a build pictorial upcomnig on his site but with me using RCMK power I might have to use another prop than what Marc recommended but will most likely try anyway, a 6717/3 with 4.25" pitch.
If the rumor that I heard tonight is true, the boat may be racing in this years IMPBA Gas Nat's besides the usual district races. There may need to be a need to send the RCMK out for some tweaking as the competition is fierce there. It's more of a survival race than anything but you still have to be quick.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:45 AM
mistycreekboats

I'm not a racer but a sport boat guy ...... but I do love speed ........ I also enjoy reading talented people's builds especially people who are open minded and reasonable explainations of choice's made. I'm not sponsored by anyone nor do I use any exclusive products. I'm lucky to have some very talented friends and have resources to play.

I've always read Ron's stuff with great appreciation of his ability to be open minded and excellent communication skills. I too like to go beyond the 'box' ... matter of fact I like to shake the box once in a while.

I did not mean to ofend anyone and hope I have not. I work with many many construction companies and fresh ideas and good communication will always out shine - dated shove it in your face explainations. Saying the same things diff ways does not change what you say and only means you do not listen to other people views.

I too do not post some items I've played with NO2 on boats for a while only this year did I say anything - because I believe there is potential in some thing new ..

I am greatly looking forward to Ron's new boat - the build and the video.

Post to entertain, to educate or to improve - don't post if you have no intention of valuing other views.

Ron I have several 6717/3 and like them a lot - Andy and I have neen playing with a couple 6719/3 and not bad ........ I'll find out exactly what he did to them ...

Have a Nice 1

Randy

I type with 2 fingers so man that took a while

Old 01-27-2011, 06:18 AM
Ron Olson

I'll probably talk to some prop tweakers in person. Mark Sholund is only doing very limited gas boat props but if Gregg of VooDoo is at the Toledo show again this year, I can ask him for a recommendation. The 6717/3's work well on my Cat's but I think that getting some with more pitch could help.
I did just get in a prop from G Force and that thing is nice! He even ships it in a little velvet-like bag, it reminds me of a bottle of Seagram's.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 AM
david6rooney

Are there any gas motors that are decent price for starters?  One that is good to start with and upgrade.. Keeping in mind i want the boat to be fast!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:47 AM
mistycreekboats

David
Either a Zenoah 260 from someone like Gizmo or a RCMKevo - both good places to start. Zen around 200.00 RCMK around 270.00 but has couple more horsepower.

Ron
I bought a nice set from GForce (2716/2 - 10*. 15*. 20*) ..... and ya thought that was pretty cool how they were packaged. Looking forward to trying these out - awesome finish

I have around 15 VooDoo props and wouldn't part with any of them - Igave one (New El Diablo) to David (GTpillado) for Christmas and was hard to do .......... but he is such a great guy figured it was in good hands...

Later

Randy
Old 01-28-2011, 06:50 PM
seawolf31635-1661
My Feedback: (7)

Hi Ron I just got not to long ago a 51" microburst mono man that thing handles like a dream I put a 260 home mod motor in first now im breaking in a full mod 28.5 from Bruce .Haven,t mounted the cowl on the hull yet got in a hurry and left the nut off the steering servo arm made a few laps had the trim tabs pulled all the way up runnig the 260 & a 2818 3B prop screw finallycame out of the servo arm and she flipped it was a windy day to this is a real good built boat .Im building a 231 to run in it here is a vid of the first run http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/c...puppy047-1.mp4
Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Ron Olson

Seawolf, you need a cameraperson that isn't afraid to get closer to the water!
I'd like to see some closer shots of it.
I used to own a .45 nitro Microburst and loved it! The 51" was on my short list. I've also been watching the webcast from the Orlando Winter Nat's the past couple of days and the Showers are racing there this weekend. Water conditions are kinda nasty with the winds so it's more of a survival race but the Microburst seems to be doing OK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.