Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow Aircraft F-16C EDF Build

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Yellow Aircraft F-16C EDF Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 06:36 AM
ken graham
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yellow Aircraft F-16C EDF Build

i would leave it alone. as long as there is no gap for air to get sucked in you should be good to go. i'm not a expert but i think the exhust tube is alot more important as far as being sealed tight and installed correctly. if you have a gap on the intake side it could suck anything in there like loose wires, tubing. i'm working on the yellow f-18 single now but i think a f-16 just might show up for my birthday
Old 01-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Wisdumb

Here we go, I decided to tackle the rest of the hog.  It turned out much better than the first time.  The only issue now is the rudder seems to be a lighter shade of neutral grey than the vertical stab... hmmm.... I'll figure that out later, the fumes make me cranky...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4plc4vKHm_o[/youtube]
Old 01-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Wisdumb

Ok, so I didn't want to admit it to myself because I knew it would result in more masking, but I need to re-paint the neutral gray on the vertical stab. If you look at the picture below you can see that the rudder is about a shade or two lighter. I'm pretty sure it's because the paint wasn't applied thick enough and the darker primer is "showing through".

So, I masked off the hog and am getting ready to mask off the numbers/letters. Check out the picture below to see the difference in color.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86924.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1553187  
Old 01-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Fireman1979

Simply one of the best topics I ever have seen here. Good job of recording every step and share it with us. Keep up the spirit and good work (a little les "anyway..."
Keep this baby going...
Old 01-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Wisdumb

ORIGINAL: Fireman1979

Simply one of the best topics I ever have seen here. Good job of recording every step and share it with us. Keep up the spirit and good work (a little les "anyway..."
Keep this baby going...
Thanks for the kudos. I've been messing with getting the vertical stab "just right" for too long. I'm "mastering" my airbrushing and decal prowess. And by "mastering" I mean doing things over and over. But that's how you learn. The decals are being more difficult than I imagined. I agree 100% with the "anyway..." I've been trying to stop, but it seems to only be getting worse! Anyway... (just kidding)
Old 01-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Wisdumb

Ok, I got both the vertical stab and the rudder the same color! I had to use two sets of stencils to get things back to "normal." First I stenciled so that I would be re-painting the hog, then I stenciled so that I would just be painting the neutral grey parts. I am finally satisfied and am leaving it alone.

I also decided to use decals for the ID numbers on the tail, so I sanded off the painted on ones. I decided to cut out each letter individually so that I don't get the decal film "glare" on all the areas that are supposed to be transparent.

I'm excited because I finally figured out the decals and have successfully applied without the pigment disintegrating or tearing or wrinkles! (Took long enough!) I took them off and will make a video today showing the application again.

Here's a preview of things to come...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35077.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1555932  
Old 01-31-2011, 11:41 PM
Wisdumb

Well, it's finally here; the long awaited episode of how I applied the decals on the vertical stab. Once I turned on the camera it seemed to just happen easily! Woohoo! 

I had to speed up a lot on this episode. We went from 45 minutes to 14.54. I didn't want anyone getting bored. And to top it off.... I didn't use the word "Anyways..."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe7NUV0_r5Q[/youtube]
Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Fireman1979

That look darn good! Nice job on the decals. Hope to see more soon of the rest of the build
anyway, great job!

Eric
Old 02-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Wisdumb

Working on the other side of the vertical stab today... It'll be close, but I think I can get 'er done today and maybe mess with some radio stuff tomorrow.  It's cold here and takes a bit for the paint to dry...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DD8zeu78QY[/youtube]
Old 02-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Wisdumb

Ok, the vertical stab is 100% (with weathering and everything!). Be kind, this was my first attempt at weathering and it was a little heavy until I got the hang of it. At least I can cross this off as the first 100% officially completed component of my F-16!
Now on to radio stuff:
I fixed the rudder trim problem from the previous video. Thanks to those of you who offered up the easy fix.
I was having difficulty getting the AUX2 channel to mimic the elevator channel. I asked for help in the video, but may have found my answer here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9744650/anchors_9744984/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9744984
I haven't tried to see if this gets things working yet. I'll let everyone know if I'm still having trouble.

UPDATE: I followed the instructions on the link above and everything seems to work. Woohoo! It's coming alive!
Here's the video. Have fun!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqz_kjaNcMs[/youtube]
Old 02-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Fireman1979

last video 06.52 again number 3: anyway
But besides that, looking good and getting closer by the day
Old 02-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Wisdumb

I've been plugging in more servos and programming more things into the radio.  I now have my flaperons set up, all servos moving in the correct direction, assigned to the 3-position switch.  Gunradd (if you're reading) I'm curious what settings you used for full flap, half flap, etc...  I'll shoot you a PM.  I also set up a little flap/elevator mix so the nose won't drop but am not real sure how much to add here either.
  I haven't actually hooked any of the control surfaces up, I need to pull the servos out and center them (sure wish I had a receiver earlier and done this when I installed them...)
Old 02-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Wisdumb

Here's the latest on the build:

-Had to re-center the servos.  I was able to do this without taking them out!  (Phew!)
-Started attaching the clevises to the elevator control horns
-Need to sand/grind out where the clevis touches the rear bulkhead
-Got my set screw back in the elevator (see what I mean in the vid)
-Almost ready to install the pushrods 
     (Do you guys just use 4-40 threaded rod?  Any other suggestions?  Let me know...)

Here's the video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgsD6rM2DyM[/youtube]

Old 02-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Wisdumb

Here's some elevator action! Made up the push rods as per the group/youtube suggestions. I think it turned out pretty good. We're almost ready for a couple panel lines and some paint!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYNxLZ8IpMo[/youtube]
Old 02-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Wisdumb

Getting the elevators painted. About to lose garage soon, so I've switched focus to painting while I still have one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RHTGJeDqaM[/youtube]
Old 02-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Wisdumb

Here's a quick update.  Sanding and filling the seams still.  Weather has been cold, making the primer do strange things, so slow going.  I've got officially 15 days left in the garage, so reality would be about 13.  I need to hustle!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYQ8SWXLxuE[/youtube]
Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Canuck1

Great thread.
Love the videos, and appreciate you sharing the build.
Makes me want to buy one, and start.
What is the price tag for the kit and retracts?

Craig
Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Wisdumb

It's a little pricey, but I think well made (this is my first fiberglass project so I don't have anything to compare, but I don't have any complaints thus far...)

There is a link here to Yellow Aircraft San Diego with prices, that is where I got mine: http://www.freewebs.com/yellowaircraft/mako.htm
Old 04-12-2011, 03:12 AM
Jmock

Hi all,

I just went through this thread and great video build log! I just purchased one of these and will start collecting parts once I return from deployment. It will probably have to wait until next season to get completed but I am still doing a virtual build. I will be making this an EDF and I am looking for any and all opinions regarding which power system to use. I have checked out the Shaun Evans site and their suggested set-ups. However, I also read through a build thread from Aussie-land on the YA F-16C and someone there suggested a Shubeler DS75. This may be a heated debate, but the smaller fan (110mm) seemed to perform better than the larger 120mm fans. I believe it was attributed to lighter set-up (better wing loading) and also better airflow from a custom duct. Any recommendations from actual flight tests? Thanks in advance
Old 04-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Wisdumb

ORIGINAL: Jmock

Hi all,

I just went through this thread and great video build log! I just purchased one of these and will start collecting parts once I return from deployment. It will probably have to wait until next season to get completed but I am still doing a virtual build. I will be making this an EDF and I am looking for any and all opinions regarding which power system to use. I have checked out the Shaun Evans site and their suggested set-ups. However, I also read through a build thread from Aussie-land on the YA F-16C and someone there suggested a Shubeler DS75. This may be a heated debate, but the smaller fan (110mm) seemed to perform better than the larger 120mm fans. I believe it was attributed to lighter set-up (better wing loading) and also better airflow from a custom duct. Any recommendations from actual flight tests? Thanks in advance
Check out Gunradds build(s) below. He tried a BVM EDF then decided on the Stumax as I did. He seems to be very happy with the setup and it is much lighter.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=gunradd
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=gunradd

Old 04-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Wisdumb

Got some work done on the shop so that eventually we can get some work done in the shop.  Here's a quick update:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAcUkPOir0I[/youtube]
Old 05-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Wisdumb

Here's a new video for this week.  Sorry for the sound, I increased the volume 500% but it is still a little weak.  Not in high def yet (The new shop is still a bit cramped, messy for a tripod.)  I'll try to get it a bit more organized so we can "see" more clearly next time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKzwpbqwcVY[/youtube]
Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

This sure makes a lot of "pros" look like amateurs. I'm working on one of these right now, too. This is nice to see. You are very meticulous with the sanding and filling. I hope my customer doesn't see yours until after he gets this one from me! I figure any imperfections after the first sand-prime-fill is "God's Will" and c'est la vie!

This one has the XPS setup in it. Probably a little heavier than some of the lighter 110 setups out there, but this bird will still fly beautifully when heavy.

Keep up the good work!
Old 05-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Wisdumb

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

This sure makes a lot of "pros" look like amateurs. I'm working on one of these right now, too. This is nice to see. You are very meticulous with the sanding and filling. I hope my customer doesn't see yours until after he gets this one from me! I figure any imperfections after the first sand-prime-fill is "God's Will" and c'est la vie!

This one has the XPS setup in it. Probably a little heavier than some of the lighter 110 setups out there, but this bird will still fly beautifully when heavy.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks! I'm tryin' but it's slow goin'. I'm sure mine will be as heavy as the XPS setup when I'm done due to this being my first fiberglass project. I'm sure I've made a lot of "noob" mistakes and not kept it as light as I should. I'm afraid to weigh it. LOL...

Old 05-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Well, like I said, it flies beautifully... even when heavy. I had a deadstick landing about 1 minute into a flight with my WAY-OVERBUILT Simjet-powered one back in 2000. That engine was very heavy for its size and output, and the plane was ridiculously overbuilt as was the custom at the time for "turbine conversions." That sucker weighed nearly 18 pounds empty, and I was carrying 92 ounces of fuel. I probably had 80 ounces left on board when she flamed out, but it was the nicest, smoothest landing I'd ever done on a turbine at that point. Sweet airframe noise, too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.