Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Any CFIs Here???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Any CFIs Here???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 01:25 AM
IFR Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any CFIs Here???

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Do model plane pilots make better or worse pilots of manned aircraft?
Model piloting/ basic physics never hurts.

Although I would never try to connect model knowledge to manned. If you are in a manned aircraft in IFR ( Instrument Flight Rules ) conditions, how will rc help you after a long flight, fully loaded with passangers/ baggage, low on fuel, with a shifting cg ( Center Of Gravity ) towards the emmempage ( Tail Section ) knowing your life is on the line while fighting radios and ATIS ( Automatic Terminal Information Service )?, impossible.

I read about ATP ( Air Transport Pilots ) with 30 to 50 thousand hours who kill theirselves believing they can fly a Quicksilver ultralight because they are an ATP. If you wanna learn rc, learn rc. If you wanna learn how to fly a Blondin 601HDS, learn how to fly a Blondin 601HDS, inside and out. If you wanna learn how to fly anything, know it inside and out, no matter what is is.

Also, never rely 100% on any instructor, as they will tell you what you want to hear because they are afraid to disappoint you, not always, but usually. Sometimes you have to take the bull by the horn and teach yourself. Instructors sometimes get caught into their own game and don't tell you the little things you need to know. For example, do you know the best glide ratio of the aircraft you are flying if an engine goes out?, most don't.

Some pilots, specifically cargo pilots. They will try to deliver their cargo reguardless of the weather and the next thing you know, Moms Mistake is reading their NTSB report, because they were afraid to lose their job. Never allow money or your job to get between you and your life, It's not worth it. There are times when pilots know exactly what they are doing and die because of structure failure. Sometimes your number is pulled and thats just the way it is. Atleast you would die knowing what you were doing and that'll make you look very good.

CHEERS...
Old 01-29-2011, 03:30 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey thanks for responding.

Good post... my pilot buddy and I were just talking about best glide settings on engine out at breakfast yesterday. My thinking is that flying models has given me more critical decision moments than I would ever experience in a life time of manned flight. I have had numerous engine outs including on takeoff. Those experiences have given me the mindset, experience and coping skills that I would need for manned flight failures. I can fly RC a lot more often given my resources so I can keep current and think about flying more often. I can fly a much greater variety of aircraft than I can afford otherwise. With modeling, I can practice some heavy cross-winds and the slips or crabbing to land safely.

Modeling only goes so far, as you suggest. I would never say it would replace experience and knowledge gained flying the actual thing. There are huge holes left such as weather and navigating, handling the radios... at least I can fly RC everyday when the weather cooperates. Being aware of the RC weather several days in advance, helps with manned aircraft too.

As you point out; RC cannot help with everything, but what it does do is not bad. RC has reinvigorated my desire and confidence to fly the real thing. I have been spending some time lately with the MS Flight Sim. Maybe this spring, I will get back into the air.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:47 PM
IFR Pilot

My thinking is that flying models has given me more critical decision moments than I would ever experience in a life time of manned flight.
I can't explain how wrong the above statement is and I can understand if you never flown full scale. The conversation you had with you friend should last you a lifetime. If in the future you fly full scale, do your research on the internet and try to catch your instructor off guard by asking him/ her non-popular questions such as, what are the minimum, maximum, negative and positive g forces allowed, glide ratio with 10, 20 and 30% flaps applied including rate of decent/ rate of climb per the percentage, mimimum braking distance, total nautical miles in a 20 mph headwind, total gallons onboard, total airframe time etc... They should know the above info without thinking twice.

Flight sims are probably the most valuable resource in your house as far as aviation/ training goes. The only major difference between FSX ( Flight Simulator X ) and the simulator at your local airport is price. When FSX first came out it was $80 which is what most airports charge per hour for instrument simulator time. If you fly 2 hours of instrument time in FSX you already are saving money. I bought FSX when it first came out and to date I have thousands of IFR flight time in FSX. FSX is a simulator, not a game and it has been underated from day 1, don't take it for granted. Apply the settings to realism, IFR conditions with 30 mph crosswind, learn and have fun.

More importantely, life threatening decisions aren't only made in the air, but also on the ground. Know what the weather is from depature to arrival. Not only by minutes, but also by hours and days to be on the safe side... With research, knowledge and experience you should be a great pilot life myself. Ask yourself this question before every and any flight. Am I ready for the picture below?

Old 01-30-2011, 04:12 AM
on_your_six

Let me rephrase... flying models, the engine out dead stick landings have been the most harrowing/learning experiences... that is that you have to rely on training for immediate action... on completion, do a review of what you did wrong, what you did right and how you are going to improve no matter the cause... Instead of panic, I know that I can handle a real situation in a manned plane with that background.

I have a private license (long no activity), the critical decisions can be during planning on the ground. I have read Flying Mag cover to cover every month for the last three years. I read all the NTSB reporting.

ORIGINAL: Moms Mistake

My thinking is that flying models has given me more critical decision moments than I would ever experience in a life time of manned flight.

I can't explain how wrong the above statement is and I can understand if you never flown full scale.
The conversation you had with you friend should last you a lifetime. If in the future you fly full scale, do your research on the internet and try to catch your instructor off guard by asking him/ her non-popular questions such as, what are the minimum, maximum, negative and positive g forces allowed, glide ratio with 10, 20 and 30% flaps applied including rate of decent/ rate of climb per the percentage, mimimum braking distance, total nautical miles in a 20 mph headwind, total gallons onboard, total airframe time etc... They should know the above info without thinking twice.

Flight sims are probably the most valuable resource in your house as far as aviation/ training goes. The only major difference between FSX ( Flight Simulator X ) and the simulator at your local airport is price. When FSX first came out it was $80 which is what most airports charge per hour for instrument simulator time. If you fly 2 hours of instrument time in FSX you already are saving money. I bought FSX when it first came out and to date I have thousands of IFR flight time in FSX. FSX is a simulator, not a game and it has been underated from day 1, don't take it for granted. Apply the settings to realism, IFR conditions with 30 mph crosswind, learn and have fun.

More importantely, life threatening decisions aren't only made in the air, but also on the ground. Know what the weather is from depature to arrival. Not only by minutes, but also by hours and days to be on the safe side... With research, knowledge and experience you should be a great pilot life myself. Ask yourself this question before every and any flight. Am I ready for the picture below?

[img][/img]

Old 01-30-2011, 12:20 PM
IFR Pilot

Let me rephrase... flying models, the engine out dead stick landings have been the most harrowing/learning experiences... that is that you have to rely on training for immediate action... on completion, do a review of what you did wrong, what you did right and how you are going to improve no matter the cause... Instead of panic, I know that I can handle a real situation in a manned plane with that background.

I have a private license (long no activity), the critical decisions can be during planning on the ground. I have read Flying Mag cover to cover every month for the last three years. I read all the NTSB reporting.
Excellent!

Old 01-30-2011, 02:59 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moms Mistake, Your theory on flight instructors is a good one if you are dealing with part 91 training, but when it comes to part 141 all of the information for each and every A/C you will be flying is required to be learned before flying solo. This includes all weight/balance, emergency procedures, V speeds, etc... You will know the A/C inside and out for every make and model you fly with that school. Some instructors from those training environments will continue the tradition even in part 91 training. Best advice is as you said be prepared to ask lots of questions.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:32 AM
IFR Pilot

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

Moms Mistake, Your theory on flight instructors is a good one if you are dealing with part 91 training, but when it comes to part 141 all of the information for each and every A/C you will be flying is required to be learned before flying solo. This includes all weight/balance, emergency procedures, V speeds, etc... You will know the A/C inside and out for every make and model you fly with that school. Some instructors from those training environments will continue the tradition even in part 91 training. Best advice is as you said be prepared to ask lots of questions.
I wouldn't fly Barry around for 1 second even if they put a gun to my head, not in a million years, eventhough I'm well over qualified.

No sir!

Old 01-31-2011, 08:54 AM
cfircav8r

I missed something, who's Barry?
Old 01-31-2011, 12:04 PM
deadstick8409
My Feedback: (2)

OK, I'll bite, why the picture of a two lane country road?
Mom's, I'm starting to think you are a legend in your own mind!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:49 PM
The Bluehead

Many years ago I had a student that flew RC, and the only trait I can remember that carried into the FS flying was the initial overcontrolling of the plane. With an RC plane you can expect a constant climb in a 20-30 degree nose up attitude, but that will not work for long with a SE Cessna. Much less excess power. That didn't last but the first flight or two and he went on and received his private ticket.

Going the other way, it always is interesting to get a FS pilot to try their hand at RC flying. They do think it is below them until they turn the plane back towards them for the first time. He He He. Almost always they will roll inverted or get to knife edge on the base to final turn. Remember, altitude is your friend! They usually get ahold of this quickly, get off their high horse, understand that they do not know all about flying and make pretty good RC pilots. The best thing about teaching FS pilots is you can talk aeronautical terms and not have to explain it in depth, they already know.

Good luck, Will

PS I second the statement above on learning to fly. It is a challenge and you will become a better RC pilot from the knowledge gained.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:42 AM
IFR Pilot

I missed something, who's Barry?
He is from Kenya, I meant Hawaii, I meant Chicago, I meant 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Nobody knows his real name, nor where he is from, because he is just that slick, but not slick enough for me.

I can't say much more because a ( Moderator ) will come in here and tap me on the wrist.

Now do you know?
Old 02-01-2011, 02:59 AM
on_your_six

Well, it may be a picture of a road(or a runway), but what surrounds it?... if you are a pilot (or a duck), then you know what do do when you see that... and that is WALK.

But then again, you might be a much better pilot than I am, but I don't think so.

Someday, I am going to take a 50cc plane to a RC field where they do not know me and tell them that my uncle left me the plane in his will, I am a licensed pilot, and I know what I am doing, and ask for permission to fly. Then proceed to fly a really crappy takeoff and wobbly wing circuit, just to the ragged edge.... then as the flight goes on... start to "get it" and show off... landing with a squeeker.

ORIGINAL: deadstick8409

OK, I'll bite, why the picture of a two lane country road?
Mom's, I'm starting to think you are a legend in your own mind!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:47 AM
cfircav8r

OK, so now that I know who he is, what does that have to do with my post?[&:]
Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 AM
cfircav8r

On your six I have often though about doing the same to a full scale instructor. Go in say I'm an expert model pilot and proceed to fly a perfect flight. Obviously need help with the radios and trim at first.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 AM
on_your_six

That would be great.... I wonder how long it would take everyone at the FBO to stop laughing... or maybe better yet... I taught myself to fly on MS Flight Simulator and I just need to brush up ! ! !

I think that is a topic best left unsaid until you have established at least a bit of credibility... (maybe half way into the first lesson )

I wonder if that has ever been done???

On your six I have often though about doing the same to a full scale instructor. Go in say I'm an expert model pilot and proceed to fly a perfect flight. Obviously need help with the radios and trim at first.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:48 AM
deadstick8409
My Feedback: (2)

The best student I ever had for basic was an RC dude. Solo'd in about 6 hours. Got his certificate before he hit 45. That was over 20 years ago, but I remember thinking back then how cool it would be if everyone was like him.

Ijust got my CFII back after a 20+ year break, but doubt highly that I will ever exercise those privilages. More just to have I guess.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:14 AM
IFR Pilot

ORIGINAL: deadstick8409

The best student I ever had for basic was an RC dude. Solo'd in about 6 hours. Got his certificate before he hit 45. That was over 20 years ago, but I remember thinking back then how cool it would be if everyone was like him.

Ijust got my CFII back after a 20+ year break, but doubt highly that I will ever exercise those privilages. More just to have I guess.
We have similiar experiences. My younger brother age 32 in March learned veryfast. He soloed a rc plane with less than1 hour of actual Futaba time. My older brother age 38 soloed20 minutes later and averages 30 broken props per year compared to the younger guys 1 prop because, hedoesn't understand the flare.

Rc is not for everybody and it applys to every other type of intrest. This guy is a pure example of what I'm talking about. He is not a person with a 10, or 15 year doctorate degree from LSU, quiet the opposite and makes more than most average doctors, because he is a natural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rPFvLUWkzs

People become poor, poor and I'm trying to build them up.

Yes, I am a legend and I'll take that as a compliment.