Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

giant top-flite p-51 mustang

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

giant top-flite p-51 mustang

Old 01-31-2011, 06:17 PM
to.transam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default giant top-flite p-51 mustang

The arf kit recommends an o.s. bgx 3500 glow, or a 40cc to 70cc gas. would the 3500 have enough power?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:19 PM
DougB1
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: giant top-flite p-51 mustang

You got enough money for glow fuel ??? You would be better going to gas because it would be a lot cheaper in the long run and less messy.

Doug
Old 02-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: DougB1

You got enough money for glow fuel ??? You would be better going to gas because it would be a lot cheaper in the long run and less messy.

Doug
+1 on going gas and you forgot to mention, it'd have MORE POWER!!!!!

For the OP; DA, ZDZ, 3W, DLE etc. all make engines in the 50-60cc range and will do an excellent job for this model.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:40 AM
51-D GUY
My Feedback: (4)

In answering the Question , YES , the 3500 is enough power , & Zeeb , a 35 cc engine on glow fuel is going to make alot more power than a 35 cc on gas ,

Size for size , Glow always will produce more power even in the engines you have mensioned .

51-D GUY.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a BGX for sale cheap. Glow fuel not included....[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Fellow at our field is flying one with the DLE 55, great combination. JTEC makes a muffler that will fit in the cowling from what I understand.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:09 PM
to.transam

ok thanks for the info guys!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: 51-D GUY

In answering the Question , YES , the 3500 is enough power , & Zeeb , a 35 cc engine on glow fuel is going to make alot more power than a 35 cc on gas ,

Size for size , Glow always will produce more power even in the engines you have mensioned .

51-D GUY.
Who mentioned ANYTHING about "Size for size"?

Up until the release of the DLE-20, I'd have said there was a place for glow engines in the .90 size models and below. I've had good results running YS engines but the DLE-20 has changed that with some spectacular performance so there's a good gas alternative for those .90 size models now as well. With the price of glow fuel and having to clean up the slime afterward, there's no reason not to go gas if an engine is available for the intended size model. There's even less reason to go glow with a 1/5th scale size model.

A 50 to 60cc gasser is the way to go with this model. The DLE-55 is quite reasonable pricewise compared to the OS, will run circles around it, is only a tiny bit heavier and will only burn about 1oz. of fuel per minute of $3.00 a gallon pump gas. The new DA-60 is a horse and actually weighs LESS than the OS in question....

The DA-50 is the lightest of the bunch and as mentioned Jtec has special mufflers for the DA engines and this model and those muffs will also fit the DLE-50/55 AND you can get Keleo functional scale type exhaust for the DA/DLE to fit this model if you want.

And I'm not interested in any "it won't fly scale", "it's too much engine" or similar comments usually heard from the Warbird guys who I guess don't understand throttle management or the fact that there is a rudder on the model and when to use it....
Old 02-02-2011, 08:36 AM
51-D GUY
My Feedback: (4)

I'll agree with all that , all i was saying is that an engine will produce more power if its fuel type was Nitro , rather than Gas .

I was not recommending this , nor would i want to do it my self,

regardless of it's displacement , I also agree that a gas engine is the way to go for the aircraft in the original post ,

you said , that going gas would have more power , all i am saying that what ever size / make engine that were to be used ,

it would have more power on glow fuel , would i do it , No , But i have seen it done , in a twin powered race Mustang ,

that's all i meant ,

Sorry , if it sounded more than that .

Old 02-02-2011, 09:05 AM
jmohn

You might also consider a 4-stroke gas engine like the Saito FG-36. It produces as much power than the Zenoah 45 and is smooth and quiet. It cost more, but runs great and is very fuel efficient.

You don't need as much weight in the nose of that plane so a heavy motor will just make you move everything back and may require the addition of weight in the tail. If you plan on a retractable tail wheel then it won't be a problem.

A DA-50 would be a good one if you want to go real fast and a smaller 35-40 cc gas if you want more scale flight.

Jeff