Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

Parkflyers Daredevil 3D bi-plane review

Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

Parkflyers Daredevil 3D bi-plane review

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 04:00 PM
olwarbirds
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkflyers Daredevil 3D bi-plane review

Parkflyers Daredevil 3D Bi-plane is a very eye appealing model. That comes in a rtf package that all you need add are the 8 aa batteries for the transmitter. All the tools you will need are also included. According to Marc at parkflyers "The Daredevil motor is so powerful that we had to re-engineer a new Hard Resin Prop exclusive to this airplane to prevent the prop from flattening out from the high torque" Thats one of the things that made me interested in this particular bipe, the daredevil is my first electric bi-plane. It's made out of small bead foam using a modular construction, so assembly and repairs are easy to do. This bipe also has ailerons on both the upper and lower wings and has large control surfaces that you can set to as much as a 45 degree deflection for those extreme 3D moves. It also features a brushless 3600kv motor that gives you plenty of power for impressive vertical climbs, watch this video and you will see its even capable of taking off in a very small area. http://www.parkflyers.com/html/daredevil_youtube_.html

Specifications:Wingspan: 33 ½ inches
Length: 28 ¾ inches
Weight: 24.3 oz
Radio: PPM FM 4 Channel
Motor: 3600kv brushless motor
Battery: 11.1v Li-Poly 3 cell 1300mah with adjustable rate balancing ac charger
Prop:11 x 4.7 resin prop
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36742.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	1229201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93795.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	1229202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16982.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	1229203  
Old 07-03-2009, 04:03 PM
olwarbirds

Default RE: Parkflyers Daredevil 3D bi-plane review

I've gotten six different orders from www.parkflyers.com with no issues. There packaging is perfect, nothing has been left out of the order and nothing has been damaged in shipping. When I first opened the box I thought now this model is gonna stand out in the crowd. The bright contrasting colors will really stand out in the air. I also found it came with an extra prop and some extra linkage clevises. One thing ive also noticed I find in every box from parkflyers is a qc card all checked off, signed and dated, nice touch.

Name:	Sq47263.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1229206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80827.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1229207  
Old 07-03-2009, 04:14 PM
olwarbirds

Assembly is very easy. The tail feathers are already done. The daredevil has been upgraded since the instruction manual was first printed. The upgrades have made it even easier to assemble and disassemble.
1) insert landing gear, make sure to have it all the way in.
2) plug aileron servo lead into chnl 1.
3) using the 2 longer white nylon screws mount the lower wing to the fuselage.
4) Lay the upper wing onto a flat surface and turn the daredevil fuselage upside down, this will make it easier to mount the
upper wing. Insert the cabanes/outer wing supports into the upperwing, instead of screws on the leading edge support there
is now a locking mechanism. Make sure to get the support all the way in.
5) Now turn the model right side up. Use the two knurled knob screws to mount down through the upperwing into the outer wing
supports, these should go in the backside of the wing mount into the threaded hole.
6) Use the two shorter white nylon screws to mount the wing to the center support
7) Connect the lower to upperwing aileron pushrods, make sure to put the z bend on the bottom wing and the clevis on the top.
Once you do set it up for extreme 3d, doing it this way will keep the clevis from binding on the lowerwing.
8) I always remove the spinner and prop to do this, plus you need to check the nut on motor shaft anyways.Turn on transmitter
and Plug in your charged up lipo to get your servos centered, the lipo goes in the forward battery compartment, then hook
up and level your control surfaces. I would suggest on this model to start in the outer holes for your first couple of
flights. The daredevil is very responsive
9) Put prop back on and tighten it securely, the motor and prop combo on this model produce alot of torque. Attach spinner
and you are ready for the test flight. Check the CG now, its 1/2 inch forward of rear nylon screw on upper wing. Like all my
previous parkflyer models it was right on. Using the forward battery compartment.

One other thing to make sure of is that your landing gear tires roll freely, the wheelpants on some of these models need to be trimmed up so that they dont act like brakes against your tires. This landing gear is very flexible and if the wheels dont roll freely the model will have a tendency to hop, resulting in a scarred or broken prop or worse.

Name:	Tr51121.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1229209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94929.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1229210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34080.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1229211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22010.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1229212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90159.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1229213  
Old 07-03-2009, 04:16 PM
olwarbirds

I used the provided radio gear and had no problems at all. I will be posting in flight pics and video very soon. If i can help you with your parkflyers daredevil or if you have any thoughts or questions please feel free to ask...DJ
Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 PM
dunkonu23

DJ, as usual, a very thorough job on a very interesting plane. I like it. Thanks for sharing, bro!

Scott
Old 07-04-2009, 03:25 PM
olwarbirds

It's a great plane...I cant wait to fly it again and get some good video.....DJ
Old 07-05-2009, 05:54 PM
olwarbirds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bkQC...eature=channel my Daredevil in action DJ
Old 07-06-2009, 05:50 PM
olwarbirds

flight #4 still getting use to it.....it has more than enough power and I did 3 flights like this with the same lipo and still had plenty of power left in the lipo.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yso0sTGIdZo
Old 07-12-2009, 10:11 AM
olwarbirds

I continue to fly this model alot, with no probs at all....ive been a bit rough on it and its held up to my abuses!...the only thing i want to change on mine is the landing gear, because its a bit to springy for my rougher style of landings...other than that i truly enjoy flying this eye catching bipe...i even flew it in some 10mph winds with no problem at all...as always if i can help you with your parkflyers model please let me know....DJ
Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 PM
BIG4D

Great info! Thanks! What do you think of the flight simulator that it comes with?

I wish I had bought this plane. I was looking at this one and the ParkFlyers Typhoon 2 3D. I realy could not find much on this plane, so Ibought the Typhoon. Big mistake. Flew twice, crashed twice. They radios they come with are trash! It's back at the manufacturer now, I'm hoping they replace it without issues. We'll see.

Great looking, and sounding, plane. I'm jealous!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:24 PM
olwarbirds

Hi Big, tks man...sorry to hear u had probs with a plane, that always sucks. The flight sim is a fms which is ok lots of planes available online to download for free plus u can get the program to create your own too which is also free..the graphics r not the greatest but hey its all free and it will teach ya to fly....The daredevil is a great plane, its vertical power is unlimited. Im not a 3d flyer so its really capable of alot more than what I can do, so in the vids i dont really dont do it a true justice of its capabilities but i do have alot of fun with it and have not had one single prob other than i took off the wheel pants which i do with any model that comes with them because they have a tendency to come loose and act as brakes.....i had it out this evening with some other planes and i was really putting the moves to it with wide open throttle the whole flight and id say i stayed up like a good 12 mins and still had power left so far as im concerned marc at parkflyers did a really good job of setting this one up the way it comes out of the box. If you do decide to get one pls tell marc u seen the review and thats y ur buying one.....just so yall know i dont get these planes for free i buy them just like you do, that away the reviews r totally honest and unbiased, otherwards im gonna say it like it is no bs..as always if u have a question or need help pls feel free to ask......DJ
Old 07-27-2009, 03:51 AM
Libertarian

Hey Guys,
Just chiming in to say I've had this plane for a few months and have really enjoyed it. If any of you know me from my PZ P-51 experience you KNOW I can't leave anything mediocre unmodified so I've improved a few things on my Daredevil. OLWARBIRDS I noticed how saggy the stock landing gear was immediately and I squeezed the crap out of it so that the two legs were MUCH closer together. Of course doing this meant the top part of the mount didn't have any outward force against the slot it is stuck into, so I used a semi-removeable glue (Elmers) to hold it in place. I also cut out the inside of the wheelpants enough to keep them away from the wheels which is the only place they really need it.
Also you might note the control arms on top of the lower wing aren't secure at all so I stuck a 1" x 2.5" piece of duct tape on top of it to ensure these arms do their job. OLWARBIRDS said, "Im not a 3d flyer so its really capable of alot more than what I can do". The same goes here and I actually crashed my Devil slightly today getting in over my head doing multi-rolls that ended up with me sliding/bouncing the bird along the ground kinda hard and breaking the fuse just ahead of the "pilot". Everything but the Fuse was okay so that's all I needed. So I found the fuse new [link=http://www.parkflyers.com/html/daredevil_parts.html]here[/link] for $22. I also bought 4 new batts on Ebay for about $22 each that were the SHARK 11.1v 1350mah units (same dimensions) since I also have the Artech ducted fan "jet" that uses the same battery which seems to be very poor quality from this manufacturer. They're a little bigger so some more airtime should be realized.
Also you might notice the horizontal battery box is unrealistically sized yet there's a long vertical auxilliary compartment right next door! I immediatly put the battery in this verticle compartment and routed the wires thru the supposed battery box after I cut some access holes between the two. If you too happen to have some of the longer 11.1V batts from other planes (like the PZ P-51) that are around an inch longer you will find that you can use them on this plane if you cut out the 1/2" stop at the bottom of the verticle box and grind out the 2 spacers that reside inside the fuse and slide the battery in slightly sideways at around a 60% angle and poke the wires thru the hole like the one I cut it in the two battery boxes. Since my plane got crashed today I had full access to my battery boxes to show how this can be done (see pix if I can get them loaded on here). Now I just charge the battery in the plane (I know its not safe since supposedly these batteries explode constantly though I've never had it happpen) but I just open the middle (old stock) battery box vented panel and hook-up to the battery in the vertical box. When I'm done I hook the Deans together and close the vented lid and I'm ready to go! No trying to squeeze terminals and battery into an overly tight box every flight and damaging the wires and possibly short-circuiting the battery again! I use a Flycam One camera which is still going strong giving great vids and I may provide some soon.
Happy Flying!!!

Name:	Nl30020.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1244412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70390.jpg
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1244413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76316.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1244414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl26768.jpg
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	1244415  
Old 07-27-2009, 07:00 AM
olwarbirds

Libertarian, heya man...tks for the input....sorry to hear u crashed but at least it was easy to get the part u needed and get back to flyn ..i havnt done any mods on it at all yet and im like u i cant leave anything mediocre....hmm a bit bigger lipo in the mah area wud be a nice mod though...

I have around a dozen or so foamies now and when i go flying i cant take them all, but the daredevil always seems to make trip.. i like ripping up the sky with it and its such a hassle free model......DJ
Old 07-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Libertarian

Thanks DJ,
Yes it IS a very troublefree model and the only one I have with wheels so its fun to practice landings and takeoffs with it on my one smooth dirt road on my ranch. The control surfaces are much larger than I'm used to being 3D so I sometimes over-correct trying to land but I'm getting better at it.
I'll let you guys know how these cheap LIPOS work when they arrive. I guess airsoft guns use them too cause the 1300mAh ones said something about airsoft on 'em.

Laters!

RF
Old 07-27-2009, 04:44 PM
olwarbirds

I also would like to see your onboard vids...that wud be very cool....DJ
Old 07-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Libertarian

Here is my final Parkzone P-51 flight and crash.
[link=http://http://rcuvideos.com/item/NJ7DY938792G3VKH]5-20-07 Flight crash[/link]

I had juiced up the plane a bit with a LIPO battery (and you change a jumper on the receiver to make it compatible with the LIPO). Problem is my cows started crowding around us and I decided to try scaring them off by doing a strafing run and I spiraled in from too high up rather than coming in more gradually. Sorry about my language, but it never occured at the time this might end up one some site and I don't know how to edit these. I have 16 of these videos in my P-51s; some from the cockpit and some from under the wing. Here is the set up I used for the Multipod 5 in 1 camera (now know as the Octave). Since the lens is a 90 degree angled lens it worked out perfectly from the pilots perspective. My new Flycam One takes far longer videos (if I remember to charge it adequately first)

I have about 4 videos with the Daredevil but the only one I like is about 108 meg and thus too large to upload on any sites I've found. Another is 73 meg and I have 3 that are less than 30 seconds; one where the camera shut off and two where the batteries were basically dead and the flights lasted 15 seconds or less.

When I get my new Fuse I will get some good videos and get them hosted and posted here.
Laters
RF

Name:	Gd93563.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1245212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13637.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1245213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70375.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	1245214  
Old 07-28-2009, 01:08 PM
olwarbirds

Hey bro just a heads up parkflyers is gonna have a few new warbird offerings soon..from what i understand 2 new size mustangs and a spitfire...ill do reviews on them too..but if their anything like marc has already been doing then they will be great foamies ..i know i really like my corsair and the other half dozen or more planes ive bought from him....

looking forward to the onboard daredevil video thats gonna be cool DJ
Old 02-02-2011, 06:22 PM
sschevel

Iknow this is much later than most of the thread but I need to find the knurled knob screws.

A few emails to ParkFlyers have gone unanswered so far and I ordered the spare parts pack which did NOT include the knurled knob screws. Sort of makes it hard to fly without the screws to hold the wing on!

Any ideas or suggestions? I went to a large local R/C store and they said they did not carry screws in that size! (I am thinking what the heck?), so no luck in finding the screw just yet.

Please let me know.
Guy
Old 02-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Libertarian

Try this place for parts. They REALLY know their stuff! http://www.redrockethobbies.com/

Crashed my Daredevil into a tree last summer but it only cracked the wing base. I think I can glue it back together.

Check out this video I uploaded of one of my 7 Daredevil flights:
Old 02-03-2011, 05:42 AM
olwarbirds

You might be able to find something that would work at a hardware store....i dont talk with parkflyers anymore so cant tell ya whats up with them now...goodluck with it... DJ
Old 02-03-2011, 02:15 PM
sschevel

Ok so Iemailed Red Rocket and their response was almost a laugh and Iwas tempted to respond. Here is there response;

We do not carry that product.

Iwanted to respond and ask, "you don't carry screws"?.......... My question to them was that I was looking for the knurled screw to fit the Dare Devil airplane. Iunderstand their response is that they are not carrying any ParkFlyer stuff but I would think they could have made the attempt to sell some screws.
I have no idea why ParkFlyer's folks choose to not respond to my questions about this screw. Their site does not offer them so Ido not know what to do. I'll email them again but will not hold my breath!

I also checked with a True Value hardware store and they did not believe they carried anything that small. There must be a site somewhere that deals in screws this small. I just do not have any idea what size they are.

Of course with several feet of snow on the ground there is no real hurry to find the screws but I will need to find them at some point. I would like to see the suggestions keep coming!

Thank you!
Guy

Old 02-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Libertarian

Sorry they didn't have that. I guess most of the stuff I've gotten from them is bigger parts like props and motors.

I think the link was bad on the video: try [link=http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/radracr5/?action=view&current=DD08-24-09.mp4]Dare Devil[/link]this one.