Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

40 size Lanier Seabird - Mariner

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

40 size Lanier Seabird - Mariner

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 02:09 PM
jcrosk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40 size Lanier Seabird - Mariner

I'm looking for input form anyone with experience with these birds. What changes were made from the Sea turd to the Mariner? I see they increased the wingspan two inches but the other specs seam to be identical. The reason I ask is I have a Sea Bird arf NIB and wondered if I were to build up a replacement wing from balsa with the same airfoil only two inches longer might I end up with a better flying airplane than with the original wing?

Old 02-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Crash-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 40 size Lanier Seabird - Mariner

Seabird and Mariner are two completly different birds. The Mariner is a good flyer, the Seabird is a turd that does not do that great. I have seen both plane fly at the same floatfly and I would stay away from the Lanier Seabird, but if you can get a Mariner for a good price go for it as it was a good flyer that is know longer made. The only plane left that is still avalable in that class is the Neptune.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 40 size Lanier Seabird - Mariner

I have a Lanier Mariner 40 ARF that I bought just before Tower shut Lanier down and discontinued everything.

I kinda want to get into some scale flying boats, like the Martin Mars, so I'm looking to sell mine. (I was going to convert it to twin electric, but changed my mine on that.)

I can sell it three ways:

With all the equipment less the Rx. ($230)

With everything including the Rx. ($320)

RTF with Rx and Futaba 6EX transmitter. ($450)

The engine is a one season 55AX. Radio is Futaba 6EX 2.4 6 channel. Battery pack is a SR Batteries 2200 4 cell, which I cycled once a month and still acts like it's brand new. There's an externally mounted switch and charge port with the plug to keep water out, and I completely sealed the wing saddle my making a silicone gasket. It has never gotten any water inside, and has never been crashed or damaged.

It's a good first seaplane, as with the rudder sticking down in the water it has impeccable sea manners. It has no tendency to dig one or the other of the floats on takeoff, like some FBs. It handles well and is quite aerobatic with the big engine.

If somebody wants it RTF, I'll even recover the elevator, as it's getting a little gnarly, and test fly it as soon as the ice melts off Lake Cadillac. If a prospective buyer wants to come here and fly it themself, I'll put you on the buddy cord.

The prices are not negotiable, and I won't ship it. You'll have to come get it or meet me half way somewhere, up to 200 miles from Cadillac. The radio stuff is full price because it's all brand new.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72463.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1570790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41696.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1570791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31131.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	150.0 KB