Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 04:46 PM
SharpProp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

quote:

ORIGINAL: LQUAN

Aurora 9 flight conditions firmware bug!

Has anyone ever setup multiple flight conditions on the Aurora 9? I am very disappointed and embarassed after recommended the Aurora 9 to a good friend. Well, he ended up crashing his 40% Extra 330. It was mostly his fault for maiden his high prize Extra after encountering bugs on the Aurora. Here was what happened...

I updated my friend's Aurora 9 and Optima 9 to the latest firmware on the website. My friend took the radio an Rx home to installed on his 40% Extra. At the field, he decided to add 2 more flight conditions. We added the flight conditions but could NOT get the D/R and Expo settings to stick. We set D/R and Expo for Normal condition. When we go to the second condition, we set different D/R and Expo. We went back to Normal, all the numbers changed to some random numbers, WHY????

In one instant, in the second flight condition, we cannot set negative expo; only positive expo, WHY?
We hit the RESET button on the D/R/Expo menu in the second flight condition, then we can set the negative expo, WHY???

After hitting the RESET button, we went back to the other 2 flight conditions, we lost all of our settings, all D/R went back to 100% and expo to 0%, WHY???

It does not matter what we did, we could not set different D/R and Expo for each flight condition and make the last settings stick when we went to set new settings for the other conditions. I was really pissed off when it did not allow me to set negative expo in condition 2 and 3. Hitting RESET the last time on the D/R/Expo screen caused the right aileron to go from REVERESE back to NORMAL.

We were so tired fighting the radio so we set the flight mode switch to NORMAL and went to fly. We did not delete the other 2 flight conditions. We didn't know that the last time we hit the RESET button in the D/R/Expo menu in the second flight mode caused the ailerons to go in the same direction. Guess what happen when we took off and make a turn???
a $4000 airplane went into the ground full throttle at about 50ft from the ground.

I told my friend not fly until I find the reasons for all these weird behavior on the radio. But he decided to fly anyway after having to drive 40 miles to get to the field.

I can't believe no one ever caught this error!

Yikes! I don't really think this was "mostly" your friends fault, it was COMPLETELY his fault. Even if the radio was not working properly, which it was, your friend was completely aware that things were not setup properly. He was too anxious to fly and that's what crashed his plane. If he hadn't tuned his engine properly you wouldn't blame the engine when it flames out just after take off.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:49 PM
SharpProp

Hi Mike,
I was curious as to how the fuel sensor works. Is it some kind of thermal sensor? Also, any idea when it might be ready for gas?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:57 PM
JIMF14D

I always thought the last thing before taxi was "left, right, up, down, right, left..blip" meaning I have ailerons, elevator, rudder and a throttle from my transmitter to my control surfaces. That has saved me lots of times even on my poor old $300 airplanes...whoops!

Jim D.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:25 PM
SharpProp

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

I always thought the last thing before taxi was ''left, right, up, down, right, left..blip'' meaning I have ailerons, elevator, rudder and a throttle from my transmitter to my control surfaces. That has saved me lots of times even on my poor old $300 airplanes...whoops!

Jim D.
Yeah, even if I have flown the plane ten times that day, the sticks get a wiggle before I jam the throttle.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:25 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Just received a new A9
Looks and feels good, nice screen and easy set up.
I had a few close calls last year with my JR FM and grounded all bigger planes in my fleet.

Looking forward to having a glitch free season

I tried to slow the servo on my retracts, this would not work, does it have to be a digital servo?
All I can get is a delayed reacion, but not actual speed reduction
Old 02-03-2011, 01:34 PM
swfla
My Feedback: (145)

on the update software for the A9 where does the Abnormal Throttle and Flight Condition on/off function show up? also is this the function that I have been hopping for so the screen shows that I have throttle cut is on?? right now if I do not notice this (although I am getting trained) the throttle sevo does not function but unlike my old Fut 9c it does not tell me cut is on and give me a tone?? Thnaks for the help.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:11 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nitro wing Just received a new A9 Looks and feels good, nice screen and easy set up.
I had a few close calls last year with my JR FM and grounded all bigger planes in my fleet.
Looking forward to having a glitch free season. I tried to slow the servo on my retracts, this would not work, does it have to be a digital servo?
All I can get is a delayed reacion, but not actual speed reduction.
Retract servos are 180 degree On/Off only, not proportional, a standard retract servo can not be slowed.
Suggest use of a more powerfull digital servo, programmed to desired speed.

see also sub section "Retract Undercarriage, Flaps and payload release" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Aurora A9, Spectra 2.4Ghz Module & Optima Transceiver - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:47 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: swfla on the update software for the A9 where does the Abnormal Throttle and Flight Condition on/off function show up? also is this the function that I have been hopping for so the screen shows that I have throttle cut is on?? right now if I do not notice this (although I am getting trained) the throttle sevo does not function but unlike my old Fut 9c it does not tell me cut is on and give me a tone?? Thnaks for the help.
Current V1.08 information:
Aurora A9 - Firmware Update V1.08 due mid Feb11 - preview with many screen shots of the new displays.

Not sure if I understand correctly, right now if I do not notice this (although I am getting trained) the throttle sevo does not function,

"Throttle Lock" will lock the servo in any given position and is indicated on screen with black out background of largest Icon together with the words "THROLock". appearing immediatelt above the blacked out Acro/Heli/Glid icon. When on, Servo/ESC does not operate.

Throttle Cut isdifferent as no "on" indicator needed as it blocks servo action only while recommended spring action toggle switch "H" is held on.
If other than the recommended switch "H",is used then operator would quickly learn to give it a quick glance.
Switch Hactivates the "cut" only whilst held in posiiton and user can set both servo movement <50% and activationfrom 01<100% throttle stick travel. Manual page 51 refers.

Aurora A9, Spectra 2.4Ghz Module & Optima Transceiver - FAQ & Undocumented
Features

- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 02-03-2011, 03:04 PM
avronaut

Hi,

Update 1.08 is

"delayed until mid 2011." or is it "mid Feb11"

What is true?

Uli
Old 02-03-2011, 03:15 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: avronaut Hi, Update 1.08 is "delayed until mid 2011." or is it "mid Feb11"
What is true? Uli
Mid Feb11, as per post 3235 and the detailed reason in content of link provided, extract
"[quote: Originally Posted by MikeMayberry
No, some fine tuning is still needed on a couple of things that popped up during the testing on the latest revision. Nothing big so hopefully we'll have it finalized shortly.

Just to give you guys and idea how this works.... we get the new firmware and then go through every aspect of it and then provide feedback for changes. This would then be a revision of the firmware and unfortunately sometimes changes will affect things they shouldn't so we always have to go over everything again and not just the changes. Because changes were still needed after the first revision we have to do this same process again.
Due to the critical nature of these firmware updates, we're never going to rush them. Sometimes it doesn't all go as planned and multiple revisions are needed. That's where we're at now... I'll know more shortly, but for now, you'll just have to sit tight for V1.08. Mike.[/quote]
Like a good cheese, the best things in life often take a little longer to perfect, and who does not want the best.
Suggest we all allow at least 10 days more, this because it is now the Korean New Year.
Korea Annual Public holidays :Tuesday 1st to Thursday 3rd February 2011.
Most Korea businesses have advised that they are also closing for Friday 4th, resuming 7th Feb 2011,
as many staff travel long distances to home towns.

Latest V1.08 screen shots made available posted today at:
Aurora A9 - Firmware Update V1.08 due mid Feb11 - preview with many screen shots of the new displays."

Alan T.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:24 PM
avronaut

Thanks...
Old 02-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

It,s been a while since I have posted here . I always keep in touch with this form . I enjoy reading past posts to remind me . I did some flights with the telemetry last fall , but not many , will have more of a chance when the weather clears , and the season starts . On my last flight the GPS didn,t work . I finally got to it to try and figure why . The wires that excite the GPS , are so small . I found a wire that was de-soldered . Fortunately , I have the required equipment to repair it . I removed the heat shrink that was covering it and re-soldered the connection , gee wiz , it,s small . In the future , I will make sure the wires are well attached , close to the module , so they don,t vibrate apart .Also the new heat-shrink that I added , I took the wire and folded them underneath the board . That should hold them in place . I tested the GPS and works fine now .

I also acquired a new battery pack for the A9 . It,s from MPI , 2400 Mah , stock #HT2400A9 . And , I didn,t want to go the lipo route neither , the fire factor was to great for me . Had to charge my TX battery a couple of time last summer . Didn,t like doing that ,............... cann,t fly and charge at the same time Plus the fact that I,m got myself a new T-Rex 450 sport combo . That guy , " finless Bob " , really did a job on the A9 , and his video,s , are excellent . Now , I know I,m really am an , " old fart " ,...................... I want to learn , " YAW Rate " , instead of , " heading Hold " . I don,t think , nor want , to do this 3D stuff . Just learning the jargon in heli,s is a big thing .

So far the A9 has lived up to it,s part of the bargon , it,s a great everyday sport radio . And the fact that nothing on the market equals it in price

Michel
Old 02-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Zor
Banned

Michel,

L'important est que tu as beacucoup de plaisir.

Zor
Old 02-04-2011, 03:23 PM
dpelletier

cent pour cent d'accord... et le A9 aide beaucoup dans ce plaisir.

A9 is a great radio! I can't imagine out-growing it. At least if ever I do, I'm confident that Hitec will have me covered.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: dpelletier

cent pour cent d'accord... et le A9 aide beaucoup dans ce plaisir.

A9 is a great radio! I can't imagine out-growing it. At least if ever I do, I'm confident that Hitec will have me covered.
Hello dpelletier,

Bienvenue au forum. Je suis content de vous lire ici. J'espere vous lire tres souvent.

(English translation) Welcome to the forum. I am happy to read you here. I hope to read you often.

Zor

Old 02-07-2011, 03:29 AM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,
is there any plan in the [near] future to increase the channel count on the aurora via a new plug in module +software update+rx to say, 12 or 14 channels?

How about more programmable mixes?

Thanks.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:06 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

I have a friend who finally gave up his Ace Single Stick system and bought an Aurora 9. He is 83 and the first one in our club who has one. His equipment was getting old and he needed to get a modern radio. It is really a nice system and easy to program.

My question. He was flying a glow powered Sig Something Extra, with a 5cell NiMh Rx battery. After his first and only flight, his transmitter started Beeping. Upon checking his transmitter, the Rx voltage was reading 4.2v and the Tx voltage was reading 7.5v (I assume that the first voltage reading in the display is the Rx voltage).

When he arrived at home, he removed the Rx battery and checked the voltage with an ESV. It read 5.6v, under load.

Why was his Rx voltage, as displayed on the Tx, so low?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:18 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: mauryr

Hello,
is there any plan in the [near] future to increase the channel count on the aurora via a new plug in module +software update+rx to say, 12 or 14 channels?

Thanks.
Hello mauryr,

Any such planning would be the great secrets of the designers-manufacturers.

To my knowledge, the plug-in module only produces the RF (Radio Frequency) and the hopping process when it exist.

The number of channels and the number of mixes is generated in another PC (Printed Circuit) board.

It becomes a different transmitter thus the existence of different models

Zor
Old 02-07-2011, 06:26 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: mauryr

Hello,
is there any plan in the [near] future to increase the channel count on the aurora via a new plug in module + software update+rx to say, 12 or 14 channels?

Thanks.

Are you referring to a plug in module such as used in Futaba's S-Bus system?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:45 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I have a friend who finally gave up his Ace Single Stick system and bought an Aurora 9. He is 83 and the first one in our club who has one. His equipment was getting old and he needed to get a modern radio. It is really a nice system and easy to program.

My question. He was flying a glow powered Sig Something Extra, with a 5cell NiMh Rx battery. After his first and only flight, his transmitter started Beeping. Upon checking his transmitter, the Rx voltage was reading 4.2v and the Tx voltage was reading 7.5v (I assume that the first voltage reading in the display is the Rx voltage).

When he arrived at home, he removed the Rx battery and checked the voltage with an ESV. It read 5.6v, under load.

My first thought would be the ESV load isn't as much as the system when it's running. Also, you say he "removed the battery" which means the switch harness and it's losses weren't part of the measurement. Not really an apples to apples comparison.

I believe I'd put a good digital multimeter on a spare channel of the RX - make up an adapter from an old servo lead - and measure the voltage in the plane, and compare to the telemetry value, see how close they are then.

The telemetry may have just saved an airplane.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:48 AM
Zor
Banned

Red inserts by Zor

It is nice to spend some time selecting the available features and gain personal experience of such a transmitter. We then do know if it is easy or difficult and frustrating.
My question. He was flying a glow powered Sig Something Extra, with a 5cell NiMh Rx battery.
Ni-Cads are better to supply receivers and servos since they have less voltage drops under the same load as NiMH. Ni-Cad have less inernal resistance and also candeliver more current than NiMH.
After his first and only flight, his transmitter started Beeping. Upon checking his transmitter, the Rx voltage was reading 4.2v and the Tx voltage was reading 7.5v (I assume that the first voltage reading in the display is the Rx voltage).
From your last comment it appears that the readings were from the transmitter display.
It also appears that the system was not fully charged before the only flight.

The load applied by an ESV is quite low in the vicinity of 200 to 500miliamps while simulaneously operating servos can pull many amps.
The reading on the Tx, I would think, would be the minimum monitored during the flight.
The reading with the ESV being later would have have been under much less loading and also have given time fo the battery to recover.

I think I just explained it.
Wishing you a great enjoyable day.

Zor

Old 02-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Zor
Banned

fizzwater2 and I were typing at the same time so our comments (remarks) were not influenced by the other.

Zor
Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 AM
BuschBarber

Fizz - I was not at his home when he used his ESV so he may have measured the voltage through his Switch Harness. He uses an older analog ESV, with a needle, which may not be as accurate as a newer Digital ESV. It only has a switch for Rx and Tx so I am not sure what the Load was. I will see if I can check it out the next time he comes out to fly.

He sometimes leaves his Tx or Rx on when he leaves home to go to the flying field and has to recharge at the field.

Thanks!!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Zor
Banned

Fizz - I was not at his home when he used his ESV so he may have measured the voltage through his Switch Harness. He uses an older analog ESV, with a needle, which may not be as accurate as a newer Digital ESV. It only has a switch for Rx and Tx so I am not sure what the Load was. I will see if I can check it out the next time he comes out to fly.

He sometimes leaves his Tx or Rx on when he leaves home to go to the flying field and has to recharge at the field.

Thanks!!
The following addressed to all readers,

It is a word of "arrogance" in respect to battery charging.

Discussing that subject let us keep in mind certain important factors ____

a) Cells and batteries (multiple cells) produce available power ( W = E * I) Watts equal E (Electromotive force {voltage} )multiplied by the resulting I (current) .
b) Cells generate a voltage due to chemical reactions taking place in a media.
c) The media varies yielding differnt types of cells (batteries).
d) All cells have some internal opposition to the current flow they can supply.
e) We can measure the internal opposition (resistacne) by noting the amount of voltage drop when we have a known current circulating.
f) Without studying the chemical reaction(s) taking place in the cells, we can understand the voltage presented by a fully charged cell (battery) and its behavior during discharge under specific conditions.
Graphs of voltage variation under specific discharge current are available.

Many cells do not accept forced reversed charging current. Non rechargeable cells.

Cells that are rechargeable do not enjoy their natural action to be forcibly reversed.
There is a limit to the number of times a cell can be recharged. That limit depends on the charging current rate of flow.

Personally I do not believe advertisements that a battery of a certain brand can be recharged many hundred of times and even a thousand times. I think that anyone who would claim he has batteries that were rechared XX many times likely never counted or kept track of the numbers.

We may have a feeling but that is not a known and proven fact.

Many fast chargers are available in the market while we also often read recommended high and short time charging. There is no doubt that it is a convenience for the fliers and the batteries soon tell us " i am hurt" and "I cannot store as much as I used to" and "sorry but I cannot discharge as much current as I used to because my internal resistance has grown up" ,

Often the recommended fast charging rate is a compomise of charging time (speed of charging) and battery life suitable for marketing. There is nothing really wrong with that but long life and full rated capacity is best obtained with a slow charging rate.

When we buy a system that includes the charger for boh transmitter and receiver we get the cheapest chargers COST WISE but also the BEST CHARGER for our purpose.

How is that ? you may ask.

We have to understand "again" . . . what is gong on ? and not only how to use the charger.

A note passing by ___The charging current is NOT what we read on the charger. My inrerpretation of the current value showing on the chargers is the maximum current the charger is designed to be able to sustain within its recommended operating temperature so that the internal components of the charger where the heat is generated are not damaged.

The charging current is the result of the existing applied voltage in the charging circuit and the total circuit resistance at any instant. The existing effective acting voltage is the difference between the charger voltage and the back EMF of the battery (or cell). For example a partially charged battery will initially charge at a lower current than a fully discharged battery.

As the battery gains charge and its voltage rises the charging current diminishes.
The ideal charger for a healthy battery is the charger that produces an open voltage equal to the full charge voltage of the battery at which time the charging current becomes very low or inexistant.

There we have it with the recommendation of leaving our batteries on charge overnight. Ten or twelve hours or any longer time will take a nearly completely discharged battery and make it ready for action from full capacity.

Interesting that the best is the least expensive.
The cost of 4 or 6 spare batteries to bring to the flying field with full charge is just about the same cost as one of these "fast field charger" and we do not even have to wait for the fast charge at the field.

Enjoy healthy batteries and fly all you want for a whole day.

Zor
Old 02-08-2011, 01:27 PM
czaiss

Anyone tried using the aurora as a master with an Optic 6, I have set up the radio as per the manual, I've got a cable which I have tested and there is a signal coming out of the tip of the stereo jack (the end plugged into the aurora) But nothing happens, the aurora's sticks still fully control the servos with the trainer switch on or off. I'm puzzled.

I tested the optic with the same adapter cable and it worked for the simulator.

BTW, the aurora has a latest updates

Curtis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.