Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

did i buy the wrong truck???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Robby368

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did i buy the wrong truck???

I just ordered the jato 3.3 it'll be here Monday. I only plan on racing. No bashing or high speed runs. Is the jato gonna be too much for the track? Or should I go ahead and return it for the nitro rustler? Is one chassis better than the other?
Old 02-04-2011, 12:23 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: did i buy the wrong truck???

You're racing and you chose a Traxxas product?

Wow...erm...return that Jato and grab an RC10GT or XXX-NT. The Jato is absolutely useless for anything but high-speed runs on pavement, and rustlers have handling issues. They're fine for bashers but if you're going to race you'll be lucky to make a clean lap at all.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:37 PM
ZeroKelvin
Banned

ORIGINAL: Robby368

I just ordered the jato 3.3 it'll be here Monday. I only plan on racing. No bashing or high speed runs. Is the jato gonna be too much for the track? Or should I go ahead and return it for the nitro rustler? Is one chassis better than the other?
Since you say the rustler is an alternative, I'm assuming you're planning on running your jato in the stadium truck class. I don't know for sure, but I doublt they'll let your race with that size of an engine (3.3 is a .20 size, nearly a big block).

Based on your needs, I think you made a big mistake ordering it.

Nothing against thejato,I had one and loved it for high speed driving on asphalt.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Robby368

Well I have a losi nxt with a picco/trinity .12, but parts are obsolete as well as the engine. And for the price of a new .12 engine I might as well buy a whole new friggin setup.

Yeah I'm afraid I agree the jato is a bad choice. My brother picked up a nitro rustler and it seemed pretty good on the local track. Now I'm not talkin about being a serious hard core racer, just for fun on an occasional weekend. What really attracts me to the rustler/jato is the built in easy start system. I know it takes a little power away and adds weight, but it's so convenient to have. I honestly don't wanna fool with getting another starter box. Yeah I know traxxas isn't the "racer's choice", I just want something fun and easy.

And yeah 2wd truck is the class I like...everyone seems to have buggies or truggies, but I like the old school
Old 02-04-2011, 02:46 PM
schuttman

Location: m\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'boro, TN
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW you are going to race Traxxas!!!!!! Bad move dude, all of the top guys I guarantee will be running Associated GT2's or Losi.
Not knocking Traxxas stuff but it is for more along the lines of bashing even the Rustler, the GT2's and Losi will spank them in true racing
trim and you have tons of support,
Old 02-05-2011, 05:35 AM
Robby368

yeah yeah I know I'm gonna get bashed for racing a traxxas. It's junk from a true racers perspective, but I just want to go out and have fun without having to invest in all the field support equipment. Also my brother picked up a NRustler from a friend, it seemed ok on the track, will need some suspention tuning but otherwise it was a blast. It's by far no comparison to my old losi nxt, but for an occasional fun weekend race I think it'll do ok.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:42 AM

The RC10GT2 RTR doesn't need any major amounts of field equipment. It has a simple pull start engine. All you need is fuel, batteries and a glow ignitor.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:39 AM
schuttman

Location: m\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'boro, TN

Very true 378 you will need no more on a Traxxas than a race truck, you can pick up a good used GT or GT2 or Losi that is in good shape and still be better off than a Traxxas.
H*ll I got a excelent condition GT2 for sale all you wouldneed would be batts and fuel.
I have seen it to many times someone buys a Traxxas goes to the track to race and just wound up getting
fustrated, after they break something and takes to long to fix it or they can't get it geared correct, or what ever reason.
You don't have anyone you can go to ask for advise.
I hate to see someone waste money, and not show back up to the track to race, then everyone suffers.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:43 AM
MPevine11

keep the jato for running around your house and stuff they are super fun! but pick up a losi XXXNT for racing.....
Old 02-05-2011, 09:18 AM
The Hedgehog

Sounds like you made your decision based on the opposite of all the advice given to you, so I'm curious to why you made this thread?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Robby368

I'm sending the jato back when it gets here Monday. I'll look into the prices of the trucks mentioned. One big plus of a rustler is me and my bro can share the same spare parts, plus I've had too many busted knuckles and sore elbows from pull starts. The racing I plan on doing is purely for fun not about winning.

The purpose of starting this thread was to ask if the jato was a suitable race truck which I've learned it isn't.

I've always been partial to losi so ill check out what they got.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:21 AM

I've never had busted knuckles and sore elbows from any of my pull starts, and I've had some ornry little buggers. They aren't that bad.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:46 PM
schuttman

IMO I would still stay away from the Rustler, the ones I have seen in the past are sloppy trucks. I know you are talking about racing for fun but,
lets say you wanna go to the local track and race one day, well you have a Rustler and that is it.
As far as the purpose built trucks go, they are good for fun and racing, and you wont have to do a lot of upgrades
to make the truck last.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:52 PM
MPevine11

rustlers are awesome for bashing! a few RPM parts and you're good to bash a day without having to worry abut anything breaking. i love mine!

i wouldnt race it at a track competitively tho, i am going to race my cousins in the spring he also has a Rustler.......

im still working on it, needs backplate for the motor (going to get a starter box), battery pack is going up near the front shock tower, going to upgrade to better servos and i need a reciver so ican use my spektrum Dx2s controller
Old 02-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Mufasa_719

The HPI firestorm would also be a better alternitive. They run for less then $300.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 PM
HpiTrax383
My Feedback: (2)

i agree with mufasa, the firestorm is a nice durable truck and it handles pretty decent too. i have both rustler and firestorm and i think the firestorm did heck of alot better on the track than the rustler did. but the firestorm is pull start and when the g3.0 in mine was new i had some sore fingers after the first few days of starting it.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:59 PM
MPevine11

if your going to race dont get a firestorm......or a rustler,

get a xxxnt, or rc10gt
Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 AM
schuttman

The general concesus tells that these are the trucks to beat no matter what.
ORIGINAL: MPevine11

if your going to race dont get a firestorm......or a rustler,

get a xxxnt, or rc10gt
Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Robby368

Are parts still easily available for the xxxnt?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:41 AM
MPevine11

i get about all my stuff off the internet, so yes
Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 AM
msdtyu

if you can return it i reccomend doing that and just buying a rc10gt2 rtr like theres nothing wrong with the jato its just not a race truck
Old 02-06-2011, 09:59 AM
MPevine11

i'd go for losi xxxnt over the rc10gt2
Old 02-07-2011, 02:55 AM
Robby368

OK folks after all the slandering I got here (lol) I've decided NOT to get the rustler. I'm gonna keep the jato for a play toy and probably go with something else for racing like the Losi 3eight(?), that seems to be a much more popular class. Not much for stadium trucks around here. I should have done more research before pulling the trigger.

I have a bud now who just got the Eight and he normally gets bored with his toys after a few weeks so I'll hopefully swipe it from him when he gets tired of it.

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:57 AM
nitroholic

You can race amonst friends with the jato,but it's a 2 speed 3.3 not ROAR legal.They're fun though i love mine.I suppose you could down grade it to make it ROAR legal,but that wouldn't make all that much sense.Eaither way,please don't but a Rustler.
What's the weather like today in GA Robby? Cold and horrible here in PA ,sucks,can't play with none of my toys.Best of luck to you for further questions on this subject call 1-888-traxxas and ask one of the techs what they think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26822.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	1559882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83918.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1559883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42461.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1559884  
Old 02-07-2011, 05:04 AM

ORIGINAL: nitroholic

You can race amonst friends with the jato,but it's a 2 speed 3.3 not ROAR legal.They're fun though i love mine.I suppose you could down grade it to make it ROAR legal,but that wouldn't make all that much sense.
You can get a .12 that will run rings around the 3.3. It will cost more than the truck originally did but you can get one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.