Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Traxxas Spartan

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Traxxas Spartan

Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas Spartan

Cool beans. Idk if stepping up to a higher Kv motor would be good for this one. You could step down in Kv and have more torque then turn a larger prop at a lower rpm & temps. But a 4 pole motor is defiantly a good upgrade.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 PM
losifiend

I don't know the KV of the stock motor, but if that's too high one could always get it in the 1300KV option for the same price and do as you said and prop up. I like high RPM, small prop setups and I have a spare 1800kv 1512 that would run awesome on 6S[>:].....all I need now is the hull, lol![:-]
Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

The stock motor is a 1600kv.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:54 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: JPriami

The delay on the spartan was due to licensing on the name titan. Aeromarine makes a boat hull called the titan already.
I feel traxxas dropped the ball on this boat and the QC. The rudder inlet hole isnt sufficient to allow enough flow for the cooling. And apparently some are having problems with their esc not running right, surging, blowing up even catching fire! From what I read this seems to be a common problem with traxxas and their esc's even on other vehicles.
But traxxas has some cool stuff in my opinion. The revo for one is pretty awesome. And they even took that platform and shrunk it down. then made it universal for about 9 or so other vehicles this reduces the cost of making something when it works with and is compatible with other vehicles. Pretty good thinking and business strategy.
But they have lost sight from my perspective. They want so bad to boast the fastest in radio control trade mark. That they talk up stuff and then marketing gets involved and you want to believe what your being sold because you have that stand point of you want to trust what seems to be a reputable company thats been around a good while.
I think there are lots of variables involved in hitting an advertised speed of something. But it should at least come pretty darn close or surpass what its being sold saying it does. But then you throw in all the problems on top of that and it makes a bad name for yourself.

My Spartan has been a project from day one. first modifying the rudder inlet to make sure it got enough coolant through the system. That worked and kept my boat running cool. But made the silicon jacket leak. Long story short its all good now.
yeah I agree
and to me posting all over the box that the Spartan does 50mph+ on 6s on the stock setup is lame being no one has seen these speeds
IMO if the box says 50mph+ , then everyone running 6s should see low 50's all day long with no issues at all [:-]
Old 02-07-2011, 08:57 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: losifiend

I don't know the KV of the stock motor, but if that's too high one could always get it in the 1300KV option for the same price and do as you said and prop up. I like high RPM, small prop setups and I have a spare 1800kv 1512 that would run awesome on 6S[>:].....all I need now is the hull, lol![:-]
yeah better to go lower kv and prop up
much less amps being pulled on this hull, and your runtimes will be good to
Old 02-12-2011, 01:54 AM
wilsta67

i like my esc well done

Old 02-16-2011, 09:21 AM
BACKEMF

Run away! Be Afraid!!!

This is a piece of crap boat. The esc & motor are garbage and then you are left with a Bleach bottle plastic hull.

Chalk this one up as a POS like the Thunder Tiger OBL... LOL.... these guys don;t learn and they don't consult people with 20 years experience like myself...

Oh well, Caveat Emptor.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:47 AM
losifiend

I'm sure they will replace it. The one thing they're very, very good at is customer service! I would say you sell the replacement, get a $54 Tacon 1700KV 3674 motor and a Turnigy 180 ESC and stick to 4 and 5S.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:55 AM
srt10

or even a Tecon/Leopard 3674 1300-1400kv on 6s with the stock esc would be good..
Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 AM
losifiend

I'm a huge fan of high RPM setups. So for me, 1700kv on 4S, 2P would be ideal. Just have to find the right prop according to temps.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:59 AM
srt10

ORIGINAL: losifiend

I'm a huge fan of high RPM setups. So for me, 1700kv on 4S, 2P would be ideal. Just have to find the right prop according to temps.
Actually running a 1300-1400kv motor on 6s will get you more rpms bro