Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

30cc Edge 540 build

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

30cc Edge 540 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:08 PM
airborne2.4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 30cc Edge 540 build

Anyone plan on using a smoke pump?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDES4&P=ML
Old 01-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Silverwing
My Feedback: (7)

Bemeson,
Thanks for the PDF file. This is a great help. I kind of had some of it figured out but the choke setup is really slick. I hope to get started this week. Have to get my fire department training done first. I teach, and then I have the rest of the week in the evening.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:42 PM
tripower222
My Feedback: (5)

Ahh yes the last piece of the puzzle got the spinner today. Nice fit on the prop with no trimming. Hope I can get to the field this weekend for a maiden. What do you think should I go green?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54926.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1549826  
Old 01-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Wingspam

ORIGINAL: Wingspam

I really like the look of this plane but what is the AUW coming in at with the DLE 30?

I recently lost my 80'' Geebee due to an electronics failure and need a new home for my SPE 43, would this just be way too much motor for this plane?

Thanks

Ok guys this is a real question, I posted it 2 pages ago and nothing....I have found out the the AUW (flying weight is 11 LBS), so would a 43cc just be stupid in this plane?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2011, 03:11 PM
tripower222

I really like the look of this plane but what is the AUW coming in at with the DLE 30?

I recently lost my 80'' Geebee due to an electronics failure and need a new home forI my SPE 43, would this just be way too much motor for this plane?

Thanks

Ok guys this is a real question, I posted it 2 pages ago and nothing....I have found out the the AUW (flying weight is 11 LBS), so would a 43cc just be stupid in this plane?

Thanks
I haven't flown mine yet but I'm guessing yes too much. Is it a aircraft engine or a conversion, if it's a conversion it may be ok they tend to have less power. Don't get me wrong I tend to over power everything but I have learned you can go too far and lose aircraft speed resolution at lower throttle settings if that makes any sense the way I said it.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 PM
bemeson

I am not an expert by any means, but what I would consider is what the acutal weight/HP of your motor is. The weight/hp of a DLE 30 is pretty good in its class. I can tell you that I live at 6000 feet above sea level and the motor is more than adequate for the plane. We loose a great deal of horse power at our elevation and most everyone at our club uses the most motor that will fit because of it.

I would contact Mark Dennis at AeroWorks and ask him. I know the plane was designed around the DLE 30 and if the motor did not peform well they would have tried another motor combination. I hope this helps.

Brian
Old 01-20-2011, 03:19 PM
airborne2.4

......... the plane was designed around the DLE 30 and if the motor did not peform well they would have tried another motor combination.
Exactly.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:52 AM
HelividD
My Feedback: (1)

OMG yes this thing performs well! Mine finally "broke in" and it was quite a shock! I actually called Aeroworks because of what the "crazy beast" of a motor did! If you guys haven't experienced it, LOL, it is a ride for sure! I don't know if anyone else has, but I was advised that I was not the first person who reported or asked about the behavior that it showed. All I can say guys, is to hold on to your hats when it does because it becomes like a completely different motor in a very good and obvious way!
Old 01-22-2011, 10:35 AM
tripower222

Any one else missing wing clips? I went to do a final assembly and install the wing clips for the first time just a minute ago and there was only 2 clips in the bag.

I did a test and tune on the engine yesterday about 3/4 tank. Dang this thing is going to be a beast
Old 01-22-2011, 07:36 PM
bemeson

I figured I misplaced my clips. I got two as well. It was no big deal because I have a little case from Harbor Freight that had a bunch so I did not loose any sleep over it.

My 30 was very easy to tune and you will get better perfomance as you run a few tanks few. You will notice that you will have to continue to idle down your motor and then you will be able to lean the top a bit more. I am not sure I got the oh yea factor as with HelivdD, but it is a powerful motor.

This is the main reason I could not understand the previous posts asking for a bigger motors. The plane is light and the motor is good which makes for a good combination in my hubble opinion. I have a micro cam and I hope to mount it to the plane and I will post some footage with the camera on the plane when it warms up around here. It has been in the 30's this weekend. Thats too cold for me.

Brian
Old 01-22-2011, 07:41 PM
bemeson

Oh by the way, I have a bunch of these little cameras that weigh less than a couple of ounces. They do 720X480 and are powered by an on-board lithium ion battery. The battery will give two hours of run time. You can use up to a 64 gig micro SD card. The units are charged by a USB cable hooked to your computer. The camera will also take pictures and will capture audio. The price for the little buggers is 32.99. If anyone is interested send me PM and I will ship you one. I had fifty this week and I think I am down to the last 6.

Take care,
Brian
Old 01-22-2011, 08:18 PM
brwilkins
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: tripower222

Any one else missing wing clips? I went to do a final assembly and install the wing clips for the first time just a minute ago and there was only 2 clips in the bag.

I did a test and tune on the engine yesterday about 3/4 tank. Dang this thing is going to be a beast

Yes. I only had two as well. I picked up a couple from the local hardware store.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:48 PM
tripower222

ORIGINAL: bemeson

I figured I misplaced my clips. I got two as well. It was no big deal because I have a little case from Harbor Freight that had a bunch so I did not loose any sleep over it.

My 30 was very easy to tune and you will get better perfomance as you run a few tanks few. You will notice that you will have to continue to idle down your motor and then you will be able to lean the top a bit more. I am not sure I got the oh yea factor as with HelivdD, but it is a powerful motor.

This is the main reason I could not understand the previous posts asking for a bigger motors. The plane is light and the motor is good which makes for a good combination in my hubble opinion. I have a micro cam and I hope to mount it to the plane and I will post some footage with the camera on the plane when it warms up around here. It has been in the 30's this weekend. Thats too cold for me.

Brian
Look forward to seeing the footage. I have mounted my droid smart phone on a Sportster I have, the video was not that good but I used a google program called tracks that used the gps to give a map of it's path, top speed,avg speed, and a map of altitude and speed across time during the flight. I spent a day fooling with it, changing props and comparing speed and climb rate to pitch.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:36 AM
HelividD

Nope, I have a few gallons through mine at this point, so, it is different than what your speaking of after a few tanks and the minor idling change and leaning of the top end. All motors may not do it as I was told, but what I experienced, as I stated, they have also had others calling about it with this particular motor.

And if I were to do smoke, I would use the Skywriter as indicated above in the link in the first post on this page. The ability to be able to change the amount of smoke in your radio would be great. But as this is my first unleaded airplane, I am going to save it for the second project. I am seriously considering putting a MLD 35 in my Ultimate 1.60, but it is heavy at 15lbs, so I may just have to break down and buy a DLE 55 and simply set a throttle curve in my radio for flying it(I think with the most recent updates, I can do that for airplanes also at this point). However, I, and my wife have the Sullivan fuel pumps(the small yellow ones) for glow and they work fantastic. So, I would, I think go with the Skywriter for sure, and either the Robart smoke product or the dry smoke(cannot remember the mfg).

And lastly, yes, I too, only had two wing clips(also thought it was just me), but also simply used some large Losi car body pins that I had lying around.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:23 AM
tripower222

Muffler hitting cowl,

Even after grinding more off the muffler than I am comfortable with the muffler still rubs the cowl. If you want the muffler inside the cowl you may try this.
I remounted my engine farther back and my prop flange is flush with the face of the cowl. Then I made a prop spacer for prop/spinner clearance.

Or you could just cut the cowl, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Or am I the only one with this problem?

Bemeson did just grinding give you enough clearance?

Name:	Qo40700.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1555080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12455.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1555081  
Old 01-29-2011, 12:44 PM
HelividD

My experience with airplanes and helicopters has been, that it's better to cut the cowl, canopy, etc, than to have it rub and then crack or break. Which will end up being much worse than if you had done a little bit of hacking in the first place. I lost one cowl and one canopy trying to do minimal trimming. And with these gas engines that get extremely hot, even your left hand picture where the cooling fin is extremely close(appears), I would trim that out and away some also.

An old guy told me, and it has just stuck with me, that, with cowls, you just have to do what you have to do, and whats more important? The cowl or the model and or engine. From then on, I tried to be neat and tidy, but I do what I have to, in order to get the most power, ease to needles(which for this plane, removing the cowl is soo easy that it's not an issue), and cooling. Then, I worry about the looks last. Sound, bahhh, I deal with that, though I know there are clubs that have strict rules on sound, otherwise, as with these engines, I don't want to loose one little bit of rpm if I don't have to(in using the pitts versus the stock "popper" as I call them mufflers).

I would just cut it out and be done with it. Thats just me, but then again, I am using the stock muffler and cut up my cowl. And this is coming from a person who spent 350.00 on helicopter canopy paint jobs. Sometimes, you just have to do what you have to do for the "mechanical" restraints of these machines IMHO..
Old 01-29-2011, 03:04 PM
bemeson

Tripower,
The grinding on the muffler worked for the first few flights. I noticed that I have a small 1/8 mark on the cowl that appears to be a vibration mark. I will prob have to enlarge the hole slightly to keep it from making the cowl crack. I think your idea with the prop spacer is a good one. If I would have had access to a mill to make that piece, I would have done that. (wink wink)

Make sure you add a little longer bolts to attach your prop as I am sure you have figured out allready.

Brian
Old 01-30-2011, 01:07 PM
tripower222

Just got home from maidening the new Edge, in summery the plane flies great but I'm having some motor trouble, two of five flights where dead stick and engine speed was a little eratic on all flights without moving the throttle stick. The engine runs and transitions great on the ground however the idle will bump up a few hundred rpm after sitting a 20 seconds or so, even after corecting for it by richening the low speed neadle to the point it does not run good. Both dead sticks where a result of engine dieing under power as if it where too lean. Also a little unhappy with the vibration level of the engine, maybe that will settle a little more in time, currently I have about 4 tanks throug the motor.

I think I'm going to check my timing. It may be too advanced.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:36 PM
bemeson

IMHO
I think you should have leaned the low end needle. The low in is loading up with too much fuel.

Brian
Old 01-30-2011, 03:19 PM
tripower222

Makes sense, I actually tried both directions to cure the idle issue with no success. I'll play with it when I get a chance and let you know what I find. I'm sure I just have some adjustment issues.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:53 PM
bemeson

Make sure as you lean the bottom end you add the same about to the top end thru the high needle. Another way to tell is have some one hold the plane and advance the throttle until you hear the burble. Go slowly. If the burble is in the first third of the throttle position, your low end is too rich. Make 1/8 turn adjustements until it gets just right.

Brian
Old 01-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Came up with this graphics package.........Should look pretty cool when its done.....Progress had been slow, waiting on a few "accessories".

Name:	Tq48656.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1556078  
Old 02-05-2011, 03:14 PM
bemeson

I know this is a little of the thread, but has anyone used SAVOX 1256TG servos. The specs and the prices seem to be good, but I am a little unsure. I have a 50cc build I am working on and I wanted to get your guys opinion.

I have had good luck with a HD DS090 servos on the AW plane.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Old 02-05-2011, 03:54 PM
RadioPhlyer
My Feedback: (3)

Align use them in most of there heli kits. I have some in my heli and I like them they are strong and reliable.
But if given a choice I'd use Hitec servos they cost about the same if you look around and they have a pretty good reputation. Just an opinion.

I'm sure there are good servos from most makers.

Randy
Old 02-11-2011, 04:23 AM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely go with Hitec on a 50c plane...... Had them on 9 different gas planes, never a problem........Personally I'm alittle scared to run the HD servos.......Servo arent the place to cut cost when its comes to gassers.

Tripower222,
Did you get your motor problems taking care of?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.