Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

NEW BROTHER ALERT!!!!

Wow, We have yet another new Brother. Welcome Larry (aka jn4dflyer)

You are now Waco Brother #183. It has been a while since we had 3 new Brothers
in a 24 hour period. Please post some pictures of your Waco.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 AM
JRM23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welome brother Larry

Old 02-09-2011, 01:33 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Hello Waco nut's!
Would like to give a great big thank's to mrdhud for the assintance of getting started on a waco.
If he had not brought his beautiful plane to the field more than likely I would not have called him this morning and said, ' How do I get started'.
Now I'm waiting on supplies and reading this thread. You guy's do great work.
Back to page 5

Old 02-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: acerc

Well Hello Waco nut's!
Would like to give a great big thank's to mrdhud for the assintance of getting started on a waco.
If he had not brought his beautiful plane to the field more than likely I would not have called him this morning and said, ' How do I get started'.
Now I'm waiting on supplies and reading this thread. You guy's do great work.
Back to page 5

Robert,

See you at Top Gun. A few years ago, I met Dan at your field, and he found out who I was. I lived in Leesburg at the time, and Dan and I struck up a good, long lasting friendship. I'm so proud of the job that he did, I could bust. He did the first one from the plan set and templates. Great job too. I'm looking forward to another Waco in Bartow.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-09-2011, 05:37 PM
acerc

Looking forward to meeting you. I will be at Top Gun also, maybe we can get Dan to introduce us. I can only hope my waco come's out as well as his did.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:39 PM
acerc

Oh yea, If you guy's don't like my signature, give me one for here.
I will be around for a while.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Hello all,

Welcome DR Craig, John, Larry to the Brotherhood. Looking forward in seeing your build.
Robert, Just ask Bill to become a Brother and he’ll give you a #. Bill is the one that hand traced all the parts and donated them to the AMA and made it possible for the Waco to live on (Thanks Bill) I was vary lucky to meet him he gave me the confidence I needed to build mine.

I just found out one of the bad thing about living in Florida we have sink holes and I found out last week my house is sitting on what the insurance man calls a 10 to 13 ft deep rather large one. Not sure what to do yet.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Stickbuilder

NEW BROTHER ALERT!!!!

Welcome Robert (aka acerc) I know you are gonna have fun with this one.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

Hello all,

Welcome DR Craig, John, Larry to the Brotherhood. Looking forward in seeing your build.
Robert, Just ask Bill to become a Brother and he’ll give you a #. Bill is the one that hand traced all the parts and donated them to the AMA and made it possible for the Waco to live on (Thanks Bill) I was vary lucky to meet him he gave me the confidence I needed to build mine.

I just found out one of the bad thing about living in Florida we have sink holes and I found out last week my house is sitting on what the insurance man calls a 10 to 13 ft deep rather large one. Not sure what to do yet.
Dan, one of my neighbors in Leesburg (the big house across the street from me) had the same problem. He had the hole pumped full of concrete.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-10-2011, 07:33 AM
jn4dflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Thank you all for the warm welcome.  I will be posting pictures as soon.  My wife has the camera for a school project.

Larry
Waco Brotherhood #183
Old 02-10-2011, 09:09 AM
smkrcflyer

Is there a thread for this plane built from just the AMA plans and tracings?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: smkrcflyer

Is there a thread for this plane built from just the AMA plans and tracings?
This is it Steve. There is no difference between the Pica and the AMA plan/Template version. Well, there is a slight difference. You cut your own with this one. Plus there are a lot of modifications to allow you to tune your model, and have a different engine choice.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-10-2011, 02:15 PM
acerc

Ok guy's, I've got two pages of do's and dont's, supplies needed and scale like to do's. Will be starting next week and will be ordering what I need that can't be bought locally.
The only thing I have notsettled on is paint. I realize it need's to be flexble. So.

Would like to get some input on paint, what you like and why.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:24 PM
froghair1

A good quality latex paint can be color matched, but it needs to be fuel proofed for alchohol . Also you can use rustoleum, it is fuel proof for gas. If you want to spend a lot of money, automotive paints or good old fashioned dope works well. I used latex on mine and had it matched to military colors for a Cuban paint scheme.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:31 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also used latex for my Waco. Mine's a UPF-7 from an Ikon N'Wst kit. I used info from [link]http://www.vaillyaviation.com[/link] for learning to use the latex paint. He has a very detailed explanation of the process. There's a learning curve but not too bad. I used Klass Kote clear for fuel proofing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17770.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1561678  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:55 AM
bkyrdflyer

Hey guys, don't mean to change the subject but I have an update on the Great Planes Waco. I was looking on ebay this morning and found a seller who has five of these ARFs. I don't know how he beat Tower to the punch. They are buy it now for 479.00 plus 12.50 shipping. Stickbuilder is granting a brotherhood membership to the first to get one. I would buy one today if I had the money. Oh well... Looks like a good opportunity for anybody not wanting to wait on Tower.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: bkyrdflyer

Hey guys, don't mean to change the subject but I have an update on the Great Planes Waco. I was looking on ebay this morning and found a seller who has five of these ARFs. I don't know how he beat Tower to the punch. They are buy it now for 479.00 plus 12.50 shipping. Stickbuilder is granting a brotherhood membership to the first to get one. I would buy one today if I had the money. Oh well... Looks like a good opportunity for anybody not wanting to wait on Tower.

bkyrd, I have a little secret. I'll make anyone (well almost anyone) who asks a Brother

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Stickbuilder

One of the guys on the ARF forum is claiming that he is going to put a DLE 30 in his Waco ARF. Who wants to bet that the firewall flies further than the rest of the airplane?

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-11-2011, 09:55 AM
nine o nine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just saw an episode of "This Old House" shot in Hendersonville. They said that it was famous for being the birthplace of Johnny Cash. Hey all y'all, they shouda' said it was famous for Bill and Lonnie too!! Mitch
Old 02-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Stickbuilder

Well, He did live here, and is buried here. He was not born here though. Nor did he live in the lake home that burned a few years ago for the last 20 or so years either. I do kinda know where he did live, and can tell you why. Has a lot to do with tour busses and the like.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-12-2011, 01:23 PM
acerc

Ok, three day's of reading this thread and still not done but my eye's are (for now).
And for those that dedicated so much time to make the plans, templates, and manual
I would like to give a great big THANK YOU
Bill Hurt #1
John Howard #26
James Potts #56
Dan Hudson #45
for which this build might not be possible.
As well as tothose whom have posted scale items, technique's etc

Seriously,
THANK YOU

waco brotherhood# TBA by Bill, How bout it?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:56 PM
skylarkmk1

Robert aka acerc,

You are Waco Brother #184, see page 478, post #11950 (last post on page). Bill has already granted you a number. Welcome and enjoy the build. Any questions, just ask.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:11 PM
skylarkmk1

Steve,

As stated a few pages ago check out the House of Moy site http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/ for the Revised Short Manual, it has most of the Mods that have been developed for the Pica Wacos. A few changes to construction for better engine selection/tank access (fuselage/firewall change) better control (dual aileron servos) and more scale appearance (tail wheel location). (Ditch the plastic tank panel that goes on the upper wing center section, not scale to NC 14031, the Pica original subject aircraft).

Another suggestion, decide on which era you wish to model you Waco, the original 1934-5 era (includes the first 9 Wacos built in 1986-7 by Waco Classic Aircraft) or the modern era, those Wacos built after 1987 by WCA (there were modifications to the airframe that changed some dimensions). The Pica Kits/Plans build the early Wacos, the modern Wacos will need the plans modified (minor) to be truer to scale.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:20 PM
acerc

Thank You, Good to be here.
I'm building the 30's era and colorscheme as below.
Does anyone know the scale incedence of the wing's and rudder?
Old 02-12-2011, 06:23 PM
skylarkmk1

Robert,

The photo is of a Waco UPF not the Waco YMF. Notice the flat upper wing and different shape of the fin/rudder and the thick elevator/stab compared to the three section upper wing (2° dihedral on each outer section), round rudder/fin and thin elevator/stab of the YMF. The fuselage cross section in the tail area is much more "square than the YMF. There are a lot more differences between the UPF and the YMF than can be described here. With over 100 different models produced by Waco, it does get hard to keep them straight and to tell the difference between them. Unless you are entering your model in a contest where accuracy counts, feel free to do you selected colour scheme

Go to the National Waco Club F-3/5 Album http://www.nationalwacoclub.com/f3f5album/ for some ideas on U/YMF color schemes. Yes they are mostly black and white photos but there is a list of the colors used on the different plane by N number (just ask). The list has been posted in the thread a while ago. NC 14132 was modeled in Red and Dark Cream but the actual plane was White and Dark Blue.

P1 - Waco UPF NC 39727 (1942)
P2 - Waco YMF NC 14081 (1987)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30036.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1562560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58447.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1562561  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.