Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

RC Airboat builders

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Lester Burch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Airboat builders

How many RC Airboat builders sell there boats or will take orders for there boats that they build.
And how long have you been building airboats.

The sport is growing although it has been slow. I build my first Gas RC Airboats that were for sale in the fall of 1990 and still love to make a new boat.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Lester Burch

Default RE: RC Airboat builders

Come on Guys I am not asking for your secrets.
I am writing an article on RC Airboats and needed some info. I did not know there were only two or three of us that are building and selling Airboats or air powered boats out of a small shop.
Looking over the web I see web pages that are not up now so I don’t know if they are still selling boats. These builders may have not been on RCU that is why I have made this post
Old 02-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been building and selling for about 11 years. I'm with you Lester, we need more airboaters to help build this sport.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Big Block Glock

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been building full size air boats, and 1/4 scale rc airboats for around 14 years. I have had some local boys interested and a few actually build some boats, but I am still trying to push the sport further and have had many conversations with individuals that are very interested but I think right now they are just holding back until things loosen up in the economy. With this being said on the other hand there are those that admire but do not understand the time and effort that is involved.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Ozpulse

I hear ya BBG, I have built weedy boats for a few people now. Have lost out every time, they dont mind paying for parts/materials but think the labour must be free.
I am just getting back into airboats now after a few years away. Even my father wants me to build him one now!lol
Hey Im no professional builder but have never had many problems with my boats once built, When Im out running my Airboat there seems to be plenty of interest from enthusiastic onlookers anyway.(usually spend more time talking than running.lol)Would be great to get a few more owners in my area to go run with, perfect environment for airboats around here with all the sandflats and floodplains.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:20 PM
claserdesigns
My Feedback: (14)

I have been disconnected from this forum because I have been busy on a new job, but I started designing Airboats last year and I'm glad to say that I have customers from all over the world, and here in the US. over 80+ anarchy airboats sold already. The R/C airboat fever is there, people are very interested in this sport. Airplane/Car guys are more interested in this hobby than boaters.I will come with new designs this year and new sizes, I believe this sport will be huge. Feedback on the airboats in general is very good.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:52 AM
aquatic fusion

try www.rcairboats.com for info.and help alone the way.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:28 PM
coriolan

rcairboats.com seems to have come on hard time!
www.rcairboats.com
The domain name is for sale!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:34 PM
ptr34

I build rc airboats also and people dont want to pay for them.  all want one and u say its like 900 to 1500 and they are like wow
Old 04-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Big Block Glock

Agreed Terry, but didn't you hear that labor is free now....lol. I have people more than willing to pay for the parts and they expect you to put it together and do all the fabrication and fine tuning along with it. Oh yeah, shipping not included..... lol sorry for the tourettes blurt
Old 04-25-2011, 08:31 PM
203_morris

ok guys new comer here. I am now working on my third airboat, I just purchased a dumas big swamp buggy, used, very rough shape just hull and mount nothing eles got it for $45.00... just put in an order for $444.00 worth of new items to get me going, I will be starting my build at the end of the week, finishing up on the blueprints,, and ordering materials,, this is my third swamp buggy,,love them, if you outfit them right,give them some power ,, and a whole lot of sleepless nights,thinking of ways to increase,speed and stability ,, these swamp buggys will get up and move , my last swamp buggy clocked in at 72 mph,, this one hoping to beat that,, I will post photos as I go along,, any suggestions let me know always open to great idears,,, learn something all the time,, this boat I am going to start building ..hull will remain wood, and extra stringers for added strength, motor mount  will be one peace light weight aluminum,, rudders light aluminum,, engine mount will have an adjustable tilt, and engine and mount will be more forward than where it is in the stock swamp buggy,,,will also have adjustable hull stablizers on the very stern these have worked great for me in the past big difference,,, well cant let all my secrets out at once,will start building in 3 days will post photos , any question send me a reply any advice be glad to hear it,,
Old 04-25-2011, 09:29 PM
crispyspa

ORIGINAL: coriolan

rcairboats.com seems to have come on hard time!
www.rcairboats.com
The domain name is for sale!

That one was an image hosting site from Norway I believe. The owner (Per Wathne) just let it go I guess. All the pictures that were hosted there are lost forever. []

ORIGINAL: aquatic fusion

try www.rcairboats.com for info.and help alone the way.

I think you might mean [link=http://rcairboats.net/phpBB/index.php]rcairboats.net airboat forum.[/link]
Old 04-26-2011, 07:30 AM
asmithnc

ORIGINAL: 203_morris

my last swamp buggy clocked in at 72 mph,, well cant let all my secrets out at once,
72MPH is a (HUGE) claim so this must be a type O. If it's legit I'm calling you out. Let's see PROOF!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 PM
203_morris

72 for real,, no hype, I had a thunder tiger pro 90 with an 14x8 prop this thing flew,first time on the water it took off so quick it blew both aluminum rudders right off the mounts, I wiped it out last september nothing left now but fire wood . beleive me I am just starting to build another one ,in fact I am going to post the photos as it looks right now,,then as Go along a couple of photos here and there,,,,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14033.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1599801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25462.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1599802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dt18759.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1599803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp69275.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1599804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14033.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1599805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25462.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1599806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dt18759.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1599807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp69275.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1599808  

Old 04-27-2011, 05:50 AM
asmithnc

Start a new build thread. 72 mph is very hard to believe especially with that prop and boat combo. How did you document your readings and was it on water.

Here is a boat with a .60 engine spinning 21,000 rpm @70mph.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-waGz7RiR1A

A small boat than above with a .46 18,000 rpm pushing 60mph.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4n6NZCqTCk

With your knowledge I'm thinking you could exceed these marks very easy. I'm all about seeing people PUSH themselves and achievedesired results. If you can get that dumas to go 72mph on water propelled under it's own power with the prop and engine
combo stated above........ I give you a prize ( a legit prize ) for doing what others have failed to do. Please use the RCAA speed documentation rules.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:24 PM
203_morris

I have a friend that I went to high school with (some years ago) but he is a Mass,state trooper and he did hit it with the radar gun, I dont build these to race, my fun and glory comes from building them ,,I build them and sell them,, i never realy get what they are worth,but I get enough to build another one,, and it keeps me busy, plus I repair garden and lawn tractors out of my house ,so I can work on the airboat as offen as I want,,this next boat I am building now , will have a few goodies in it, and it should move right along,,, I will keep adding photos as I build,,
Old 04-27-2011, 01:38 PM
203_morris

yes that was in water a shallow river,,but that boat had led in the hull that kept it flat on the water tunnel hulls have to stay flat,thats where they get there running speed from,and less hull in the water fast it will go,it also had a tunnel shroud around the engine to the stern and it was set up with a co2 cartarage as boost, you can buy a booster kit on line its like putting nitros on your boat,, plus I used a lot of lite weight aluminum strong stuff but very lite, and a tune pipe on a 90 makes a hell of a difference,, the boat I am building now is only going to have a magnum 52,with boost,, and ajustable engine tilt, some hull stablizers,and a 4 bladed prop,, and a few secret wepons I have learned over the years, it will be a nice swamp buggy its going to be called force 10

Old 04-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Selph-Inflicted

Using a radar gun on water will not give you an accurate measurement. The reflection of the beam off the water along with several other variables will not be an accurate reading. I know this from experience and from study.

The RCAA has been doing speed record runs for many years. We used radar guns for a short time until we started seeing abnormal readings compared to onboard GPS units. If you want to get an accurate measurement, you need an onboard GPS or use a laser trap.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:12 PM
203_morris

you could be right,someone eles has told me that before,, how ever it was a cloudy day and he shot it 4-5 times and it was only off a couple of times,, but good enough for me just gives me an idear,of how fast it was moving,,yea i only run these for fun its not a sport for me,I like to build them, I have sold 6 of these and and never kept one for my self and everyone who has bought one loves them,,,, I sell them on ebay , amozon, and oncer auctions ,they sell fast,, and I get enough money to build another one keeps me going,,,,

Old 04-28-2011, 10:01 AM
crispyspa

203 morris,

Start a new thread from the airboat index page. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/post.asp?do=add&forumid=246]click here to start a new thread.[/link]

If a moderator could move this discussion (from post 11 on) to that new thread, that would be great. I'm sure Lester doesn't want his thread hijacked.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Big Block Glock

hahaha!!!!