Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Laser Cutting Service? / RFQ

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Laser Cutting Service? / RFQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:04 AM
ProBroJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser Cutting Service? / RFQ

Hey all,

Can anyone recommend a laser cutting service that is currently accepting jobs? I'm looking to make about 12 short kits for a flying wing, nothing too complicated, just ribs, a firewall, and two servo trays.

(I've searched the forums and have contacted a few of the suggestions, but no one is returning messages.)

Thanks for your help,

-Joe
Old 01-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Laser Cutting Service? / RFQ

Have you tried Eddie @ Lazer-Works in Texas?
http://www.lazer-works.com/main.html
or call him @ 940-766-2667, best time is around
9 AM, Noon or 4PM central time.

Bill D.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:15 AM
ProBroJoe

Bill,

I have not tried Lazer-Works as I incorrectly assumed that they only supplied short kits, but after reading their FAQ (d-uh!) I see that they do one-off and small runs as well. I'll check with them... thanks!

-Joe
Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of gone now, but a few months ago used to be a big list here of who did laser cutting. I think all the firms noted are all hungry now. I only used three of the firms, and find that biggest thing right now involves shipping costs, and the materials costs. One firm may be high at one phase, and another for maybe another point. If they want a set-up charge that has to be figured into the costs for those first cut models.

With a quantity of twelve, it ought to be easy enough to get services for a firm. I ussually only cut one or two as prototypes, then alter things after first flight or crash, and the send off new files and get adjusted parts into the air.

Wm.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:32 AM
ProBroJoe

That's a good point about getting one or two made first - especially since it's my first stab at a laser-cut short kit. I guess I was just hoping that there were savings in quantity and that firms would be more eager to help -vs- one offs...

Yea, I thought I remember seeing a list...

-Joe
Old 01-15-2010, 10:58 AM
CoosBayLumber

Joe...

I have been doing this for like one dozen years now. When you mention "Prototype" the firm manager gets all excited. They then think that you are PERFECT and have zero flaws in your design. No adjustments to Incidence required, the CG is perfect, the motor power was OK, etc.

Be safe and do a couple of prototypes than put into production.
Boy, tilted the main wing just a bit and now it really takes off and goes.
And why does it only fly good nose up?

Wm.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:52 AM
haikt
My Feedback: (11)

I can CNC cut some kits for you if you want. I am not set up for large number but can do 12 or any other amount with no problem.
If you have the cut data I will cut them for the cost of the wood and whatever it will be to ship it.
let me know if you are interested.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:28 AM
Daniel_M

I used Belair Kit Cutting @ http://www.belairkits.com/ They are located in England, but are VERY good!

Daniel.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:38 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

I've been using Alex at AK-Models for many years now. He will cut 1 or 100 kits for you. He now imports his own wood so if you want it light he has it as well if you want it hard!! Give him a try.

Bob Harris
Old 01-17-2010, 08:28 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to say, find out who Bob uses becuase the kits I get from him are always A+.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:09 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

I am currently working with a guy I have found. I am the first R/C project he has worked on. He told me he has gotten other inquiries for kits, but has shied away because of the quality of the CAD work, and in a couple of cases they were scans to PDF. He has expressed interest if someone he knows locally (me), and knows more about R/C than he does (me), can act as a go-between. I'll pm the details.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:46 PM
The sign man

Contact me at: [email protected] I can get the parts out to you reasonably fast. E-mail me your cad drawing or scale sketches.

I currently do short kits for Flying Models Magazine there are a couple of my kits listed on www.lasershortkits.com take a look.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:58 PM
AccurateCNC

Hey Joe,

I know it has been a while since you posted, but if you are still interested in having those wings laser cut, let me know!
I am with Accurate CNC Services and we are very experienced with laser cutting and part marking as well as many otherCNC services.

Contact me at [email protected] if you would like a quick quote!
I would be glad to help you with your project.

Thanks,

Kevin Meyers
Accurate CNC Services
11365 N. Government Way
Hayden, ID 83835
(208) 772-0641
Old 04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
limeybob
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: ProBroJoe

Hey all,

Can anyone recommend a laser cutting service that is currently accepting jobs? I'm looking to make about 12 short kits for a flying wing, nothing too complicated, just ribs, a firewall, and two servo trays.

(I've searched the forums and have contacted a few of the suggestions, but no one is returning messages.)

Thanks for your help,

-Joe
Joe, I do it all, let me know what you want.
[email protected].
Old 04-07-2010, 06:27 AM
The sign man

I can do it as well contact me at [email protected]
I'm here on the east coast. I specialize in small production runs.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:27 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

I also own/operate a laser cutting buisness, and my specialty is one-off R/C kits. (I'm a scratch builder myself when not building someone else's plane) - link is in my sig. below.

Been cutting a bunch of EPP foam kits recently, along with plaques/trophies/awards, etc. Have been selling my own kits/products locally, will be launching on the web very soon.

Essentially, the buisness started as an excuse to buy the laser.... then took over.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:05 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, great to see lots of laser cut suppliers. Can one of you guys start a thread on Lazer Cut Tutorial or something like that? I would like to see what type of files you guys like to see, what easy and cheap CAD programs could be used, and hints on getting good parts. This might be a new trend...... Guys design THEIR OWN KITS, send in the files, get a box of wood in the mail and start building! What do you think?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:44 AM
emilsanto
My Feedback: (39)

I was looking for someone to laser cut a Notfrosale funfly plane from model airplane news plans. i just got the plans.
there are ten wing ribs 2 light ply doublers and 3 light ply formers. havent been able to get an estimate yet.
if you know of anyone who has laser cut a kit like that let me know
thanks
Old 02-17-2011, 01:40 PM
limeybob

You can send plans, that will be converted to the parts, or scan the plans and send the files, or draw your own in any cad that will output DXF files.

Bob
Old 02-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Try Eric at http://www.nationalbalsa.com. He will accept dxf., dwg., & pdf. files. He will also accept cdr. 13 files. He did some cutting for me and did a fine job.

Bob
Old 02-17-2011, 05:34 PM
amtpdb

I am sure someone has asked this before and gotten an answer, but I don't know how to find it so, what is the cost of laser cutting? In the machine shops in the past there was a set up cost, then direct time and materials involved. Is it the same for laser cutting? Just for an ideal of cost, what would it cost for 1 bulkhead for a 8" wide fiberglass jet that uses 1/4" plywood? Now if it had 8 bulkheads? I ask this differently as I do not have any idea how long it would take the laser to cut a detailed bulkhead out of this size. Thanks for any information that you can provide. I realize that there are many variables. Please mention these if you can.
Thanks again.
AMT
Old 02-17-2011, 05:38 PM
emilsanto
My Feedback: (39)

all i have is the printed plans for the notforsale plane. i have a friend who runs a machine shop. going to see if he can copy them so i can send them in to a cutter.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:15 AM
daven

I will give a +1 to:

Alex at AK-Models

He has started doing my Seeker and Snaker kits, and he has done a great job of cutting, packaging, and using good wood!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:25 AM
limeybob

ORIGINAL: amtpdb

I am sure someone has asked this before and gotten an answer, but I don't know how to find it so, what is the cost of laser cutting? In the machine shops in the past there was a set up cost, then direct time and materials involved. Is it the same for laser cutting? Just for an ideal of cost, what would it cost for 1 bulkhead for a 8'' wide fiberglass jet that uses 1/4'' plywood? Now if it had 8 bulkheads? I ask this differently as I do not have any idea how long it would take the laser to cut a detailed bulkhead out of this size. Thanks for any information that you can provide. I realize that there are many variables. Please mention these if you can.
Thanks again.
AMT
laser kit available here.
http://store.laser-design-services.c...roducts_id=102

bob
Old 03-30-2011, 11:45 AM
spacewalker
My Feedback: (11)

Camden Custom Cutters in Camden, SC, is accepting jobs for laser cutting model airplane parts, short kits, and in some cases, full kits. Contact Roger at [email protected] for details, prices, delivery, etc.