Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:23 AM
ericrcpilot
My Feedback: (145)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vess Balance Ring, Anygood?

ORIGINAL: plowboy1966

ORIGINAL: skysfallin

Has anyone tried the Vess Balance ring, and to what degree of success. Are they hard to set up? Looks like a good concept but looks like it would take a while to get it dialed in. Just curious as to anyones actual use.

I use the VBR and I like it. It is easy to use with a Dubro prop balancer and a Sharpie.

Just another new product that is cost effective, weight negligible, works as advertised and gives FOGs something to complain about. [:'(]

Love ya Pat! lol [&:]

There it is.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:52 AM
rchusker
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

When looking at it, How on earth are you going to define the exact location and weight that must be applied. A hit and miss affair at best or added expenses again, and like TOM said, added weight.
I am convinced that Robert responded to customer request, which shows that not all is well in our hobby.
Much better to use products like Mejzlik/Xoar propellers and Mejzlik spinners just to name a few that are balanced to start out with. I am sure there are other quality products that do not have issues.
I was wondering the same thing.........
I just use Xoar props and enjoy myself.
Seriously??????
Find me a xoar...or menz for that matter that balances completely perfect out of the box. I would pay good money for that.

If you are actually flying props(especially large props) without balancing them because the manufacturer claims that they are already balanced...you are not only risking damage to your airframe from vibration but you are also being unsafe...
Old 02-19-2011, 09:18 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

VBR's are a great product! They bolt on in place of the standard washer. My Mezjlik prop is not balanced. Instead of the mess to balance both the tips and hub, not to mention my spinner, the VBR makes everything easy, and well balanced.. No additional drilling required, just balance and bolt...
Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I check for balance before I use, using a waterlevel balancer as sold by Fema of starter fame.
ALL Mejzliks and Xoars I tested were within spec for balance. You can use them as is, or balance to perfection with very little effort. I doubt that the last bit of balancing will be of any benefit though, seen the amount of added mass it takes. (small snippet of paper). One run through slightly tall grass or painting the tips will bring as much imbalance.
With Xoar, it is important that it is indeed a Xoar, and not an imitation, so only buy from respected sources who buy from Xoar directly.
There is counterfeit on the market.

Menz is known for imbalance issues, in blade shape, blade angle, blade track and blade mass. They cost a lot less too.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 AM
ericrcpilot

I check for balance before I use, using a waterlevel balancer as sold by Fema of starter fame.
ALL Mejzliks and Xoars I tested were within spec for balance. You can use them as is, or balance to perfection with very little effort. I doubt that the last bit of balancing will be of any benefit though, seen the amount of added mass it takes. (small snippet of paper). One run through slightly tall grass or painting the tips will bring as much imbalance.
With Xoar, it is important that it is indeed a Xoar, and not an imitation, so only buy from respected sources who buy from Xoar directly.
There is counterfeit on the market.

Menz is known for imbalance issues, in blade shape, blade angle, blade track and blade mass. They cost a lot less too.

It makes sense now after reading your signature. You are a dealer for Mej and Xoar. The 1 Xoar I bought was genuine and needed balancing. The Mejzliks I have used needed balancing and don't performe very well unless you need a quiet prop. Plus they cost way to much. I don't use Menz btw. Are all of the spinners you use perfectly balanced also? This product is nice as you can balance the entire rotating mass as one unit.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:28 AM
pe reivers

I represent these brands, because they are the best you can get. My sig has nothing to do with my comments. Yours makes a lot more sense I suppose.
Using the waterlevel balancer I have, it would be impossible to test the balance ring in an assembly, that is why I commented the way I did.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:30 AM
ericrcpilot

I represent these brands, because they are the best you can get. My sig has nothing to do with my comments. Yours makes a lot more sense I suppose.
Using the waterlevel balancer I have, it would be impossible to test the balance ring in an assembly, that is why I commented the way I did.

Sounds good. How does that balancer work. I tried to Google it and came up empty. I will probably catch some heat from others on here for my comments, but that is OK.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do things the way you're most comfortable with but be advised that adding all the latest widgets generally only increases the end cost and weight of some models. Newer is not always better. Unless you're the person making or selling the product of course. In that event it just has to be better, according to the advertising.

To my way of thinking there have only been a few major "improvements" to modeling over the last couple decades. Digital servos, 2.4 radios, A-123 batteries, electronic ignition. Everything else has been a play on gullibility and inexperience to generate profit.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:45 AM
pe reivers

Look here:
http://www.fema-modelltechnik.de/Web...ucht_engl.html
The device is extremely sensitive.
if the bubble is for it's major part inside the ring, you are good enoughto go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56040.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1566471  
Old 02-19-2011, 10:48 AM
ericrcpilot

Look here:
http://www.fema-modelltechnik.de/Web...ucht_engl.html
The device is extremely sensitive.
if the bubble is for it's major part inside the ring, you are good enough to go.

Very interesting. Thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 10:51 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

I would add CA, PU, and epoxy adhesives to that list as well. Frankly, when I got back into this after many years, I was surprised how little had changed, outside of that list.
ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Do things the way you're most comfortable with but be advised that adding all the latest widgets generally only increases the end cost and weight of some models. Newer is not always better. Unless you're the person making or selling the product of course. In that event it just has to be better, according to the advertising.

To my way of thinking there have only been a few major "improvements" to modeling over the last couple decades. Digital servos, 2.4 radios, A-123 batteries, electronic ignition. Everything else has been a play on gullibility and inexperience to generate profit.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:54 AM
plowboy1966

And now...the VBR!
Old 02-19-2011, 11:01 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: skysfallin

Has anyone tried the Vess Balance ring.............................Just curious as to anyones actual use.

Going by that criteria, just ignore all the negative responses
you've gotten, as those are from folks here that have NOT used
them!

Worse yet, most negative responses show they don't understand
VBR's, how they work, nor how to setup & use them. The "drill holes"
response? Wow, where'd THAT come from?

Robert Vess wisely chose another online forum to introduce his
VBR's, and now you're seeing why.

Now on to your core question regarding use & setup. The original way
was to balance your prop only, ignoring the rest of the rotating mass.
If you were lucky, your spinner was close to being balanced.

With the VBR you are balancing the entire spinning mass....everything,
not only the prop! The entire rotating mass gets balanced; spinner back
plate
, prop, VBR, prop bolts, and the spinner cone.

VBR's work on 2, 3, and 4 bladed props.

Far more information PLUS directions on their setup & usage is over here;
http://tinyurl.com/4fjbedc

All the basic info you'll need is there in that first message from Robert
introducing his Vess Balance Ring.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Tired Old Man

I like that, villify everyone that disagrees as not having experience or knowledge of the product That indicates a fixed mindset that rejects anyone that has a valid, but different, viewpoint. Sort of like a certain political party. If it's not their way, it's wrong.

Vess introduced this thing about 6 months ago and so far the world has not become a better place. Sort of like his props. They work for some, but others find them less than ideal. The difference between advertising and experience perhaps? He definately knows his stuff, but business is business. BTW, I ONLY fly large scale planes and have found no real benefit to the balance ring. However, I know how to balance a prop AND a spinner, and also know how to use an out of balance prop to offset the natural imbalance in a single cylinder engine.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:14 PM
pe reivers

In the other thread, it says it needs a certain prop balancer. All in all, the idea is bettter than CA wicking a prop, or using screws in the hub like I do when balancing Menz-S, but only because the size of the backplate is increased! I found most engine prop mount plates too small to provide sound clamping loads. increasing prop drive diameters/surface certainly helps out here.( BTW, I do not mean the prop drives with many holes in it, which are light, but no good)
I stick to my opinion, that all parts should balance BEFORE you mount them to your plane/engine combo.
Care to balance with indexing feature like TOM said? This product seems great for that. Some engine need it.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:58 PM
ericrcpilot

In the other thread, it says it needs a certain prop balancer. All in all, the idea is bettter than CA wicking a prop, or using screws in the hub like I do when balancing Menz-S, but only because the size of the backplate is increased! I found most engine prop mount plates too small to provide sound clamping loads. increasing prop drive diameters/surface certainly helps out here.( BTW, I do not mean the prop drives with many holes in it, which are light, but no good)
I stick to my opinion, that all parts should balance BEFORE you mount them to your plane/engine combo.
Care to balance with indexing feature like TOM said? This product seems great for that. Some engine need it.

That is exactly what this product does. It balances all of the rotating mass before you mount it on your plane.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:52 PM
plowboy1966

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

I like that, villify everyone that disagrees as not having experience or knowledge of the product That indicates a fixed mindset that rejects anyone that has a valid, but different, viewpoint. Sort of like a certain political party. If it's not their way, it's wrong.

Vess introduced this thing about 6 months ago and so far the world has not become a better place. Sort of like his props. They work for some, but others find them less than ideal. The difference between advertising and experience perhaps? He definately knows his stuff, but business is business. BTW, I ONLY fly large scale planes and have found no real benefit to the balance ring. However, I know how to balance a prop AND a spinner, and also know how to use an out of balance prop to offset the natural imbalance in a single cylinder engine.
That's it TOM!! I have caught you in a huge lie and now I am exposing you to the world for the charlitan that you are, you dastardly rascal! You also fly DW foamys, now apologize immediately. [:'(]
Old 02-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: plowboy1966

And now...the VBR!
You are not in Washougal anymore, but I will admit to the DW Foamies, you cur But those ARE big, as foamies go anyway....
Old 02-19-2011, 06:50 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!!

lol
Old 02-19-2011, 06:51 PM
ericrcpilot

ORIGINAL: 50%plane

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!!

lol

No hitting below the belt.

Unless you have a video camera so we can see.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Tired Old Man

No poking in the eyes, like this. No kicking between the legs, like this. No hair pulling, like this. No ear or nose biting, like this.....
Old 02-19-2011, 08:21 PM
plowboy1966

LOL! Cur huh? The kind that won't fight, or the very useful Catahoula? Either way, I guess I'm still a dog!!

You guys take it easy on T.O.M., he goes out of his way to give good engine advice for free to people, even when they ask the same stupid, intellectually lazy, questions over and over again.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:29 PM
plowboy1966

By the way, my new location is top secret. You have to have the super duper, tippy top, VIP with connections, clearance to get that info. I'm on the move again in April too. Here is a hint, the club I will be joining has hosted the Nats four times.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:25 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ring idea is clever.

The only downside is that you need to sort of remember the exact position arrangement the ring with respect to the prop and the spinner, when you want to reinstall the combo.

It seems the ring can be integrated into the back plate of the spinner.

Will i use it? Sure, when I find myself in a position not to balance a prop, such as in a competition where you do not have a balanced prop. It is unlikely but can happen.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Whistling Death

Looks like a cool product but I think I will stick to using CA and Velcro to balance my props.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.