Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM warbird, who to buy from???

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM warbird, who to buy from???

Old 02-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESM warbird, who to buy from???

I was wondering if you could help me choose what company to buy a ESM warbird from.. I assume that no matter who I buy it from, it's the same plane that comes to my door. So it comes down to, who is a better company to deal with... I know this will vary from customer to customer, but I have never dealt with any of them and will go with the advice given in this thread... I just want the best price to my door and the plane to show up in the same condition it left the warehouse... If that cost a little more from what company I use, then that is worth it to me. Customer service is worth it's weight in gold as well, it's nice to be able to call up with a question and get an answer. I don't like a company that once they ship the plane, they are done and done with you as a customer... So I ask, if you were buying a ESM warbird, who would you give your dollar to?
Old 02-20-2011, 09:17 AM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Default RE: ESM warbird, who to buy from???

No question talk to Tomas at VQ Warbirds. He deals in the ESM line and goes the extra mile everytime.

www.vqwarbirds.com
Old 02-20-2011, 10:22 AM
jddickers
My Feedback: (98)

Tomas at VQ warbirds is your best one to deal with. He will do what ever it takes to keep you completly happy. There is one thing all of the ESM planes come from AFR Pros since they are the only distributor in the USA. VQ and KMP are just dealers. Still I would only buy from Tomas at VQ
JD
Old 02-20-2011, 10:25 AM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

Tomas is the way to go no question!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:28 AM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

tomas vote as well
Old 02-20-2011, 10:33 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tomas for sure
Old 02-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Mustangman40

I see VQ is the way to go, sounds like the company I am looking for.. Good price and good CS, but the shipping...
For a ESM Mustang, retracts and a plane stand, the shipping to me was $89.00. Is this the norm, or is there a better way? It just seemed high to me, but I have also never bought a plane online either.. Do LHS carry the ESM line, to were i can save on shipping?
Old 02-20-2011, 01:10 PM
rchobbydood
My Feedback: (2)

The hobby store has to pay the same amount of shipping to get it to the store(there maybe some small differeces owing to distance). The only way they save is by buying a whole range of airplanes and shipping them on a pallett to reduce the shipping cost.

The model shop then has to include the shipping in the price or else they would be selling it at a loss!!
Old 02-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TOMAS at VQ Warbirds is the guy! Good communication. Stand-up guy. Takes care of the customer. I buy the ESM Warbirds through TOMAS.

Leo Spychalla
Old 02-20-2011, 04:57 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add my vote to the Tomas column too.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:34 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Shipping for 50cc plane is under $100. These planes come in a huge box. Tower is the cheapest with only $60 surcharge for their 50cc planes IMO.
You mentioned a plane stand so you should call them to break down the charges. If it's more than 50 bucks for a plane that is 71" ws then that is a bit high.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:38 AM
jddickers
My Feedback: (98)

The planes are ether shiped by UPS or FedEx And with the price of fuel the shipping cost has gone through the roof. That is what you will have to pay for any plane that size.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:46 AM
telejojo

Hobby People charges 24.00 shipping 1.20 size planes.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:50 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Hey guys,
Just for information... It does not matter where you buy the ESM plane from In the States they are shipped from the same place. The shipping charges are the same.. I end up getting one of every new plane that comes in. The shipping on the latest one was $140. These are over sized boxes there is a $50 surcharge on the box. I have found that the distributer is a little high on the shipping charges. I have a fedex account and I get a small discount on shipping. They tend to add $15-$20. Compared to what I could ship the same box for. The only way to get out of the shipping is to go pick it up...

Food for thought.. When you buy an ARF kit from anyone. Make sure you take it all out of the box as soon as you get it and inspect it throughly. I have seen more guys buy one let it sit around about 6 weeks and then get started just to find a problem. You have 5 days to file a claim from the time of receipt of the kit.. I remove the whole plane the day it arrives.

Ty
Old 02-21-2011, 10:10 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The sad fact of the matter is that the size not the weight is what UPS and 'they' use to make their charges...big box, big price!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:06 PM
transatlanticflight

Shipping and handling...the great nemesis of internet shoppers and a wonderful place for distributors to hide profit. It's part of the landscape...especially in the internet age. You have to recognize and accept that most of the retail "webstores" are a virtual storefront...they have the cache, through understanding how search engines and chat sites like this one work, to grab your attention and be your point of purchase...a portal...nothing more. The stocking distributor does not care...it's an outsourced sales and marketing department...costs simply passed on to the consumer. Often those inflated shipping costs...largely the nebulous "handling" part is actually the profit of the point of purchase retailer. In the end, the great challenge for the consumer is going through the shipping calculator before they click purchase when they are comparing prices between websites.

Internet shopping became possible thanks to UPS and fedex...and relatively cheap gas. As gasoline prices get inflated and "real" shipping charges escalate...we will see consolidation among e-tailers and a return to traditional geographically determined distribution models... and yes....less choices. The internet makes purchasing by price easy for consumers...a nightmare for non-exclusive distributors...and capitalism in general. Shipping charges that approach a third of the entire purchase price of the product give the consumer pause...reducing demand...reducing sales. Many of these etailers are banking on making money on volume....$20 per purchase....multiplied by a lot of volume...not bad for a little web savvy. However, increase the cost of gasoline and these businesses dry up and blow away....leaving the big guys....uh-oh. Welcome to the marketplace.

What's my point you ask?

Well, maybe nothing...haha. Maybe I'm saying that if all other things are equal..run the shipping calculator and click as you see fit, because in many cases the "etailer" offers little value added. But this is not the case with VQ Warbirds...Thomas is obviously a Warbird enthusiast more than an RC etailer...we are all enthusiasts of warbirds... a specific aspect of the enormous world of RC...how could you buy better from anyone else but an enthusiast? When it comes to meeting your expectations...Thomas gets it...he adds companion product like Ty's cockpit kits that add value...not just products that he can find a margin on and get in front of you. I've got too many unfinished kits now..but I've got my eye on an ESM warbird It's a toss up between the Fairey Swordfish and a 50cc Spit...when I'm ready...Thomas will get the call.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:57 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I look at it is if you want something bad enough just buy it and pay for the shipping. With the economy the way it is everybody has to survive so I don't worry about the shipping. They need to upcharge if they want to stay in business. I vote for Tomas at VQ Models! It all comes close anyway. Today $50.00 is like $10.00 five years ago.

JMHO,
Old 02-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Mustangman40

Thanks guys, that cleared things up for me.. The shipping is high, but it's not the dealer trying to scam money out of folks just because they have what you want... It sounds like Thomas at VQ is a person I want to give my business to, I look forward to buying from him.. Work has got me slammed right now for the next couple weeks, then it's shopping time.................
Old 02-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Bryan McLarty

Tomas

Just wish he would publish a phone number.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Luftwaffe60

This is no brainer.....you have to go with the one only Tomas at VQ Warbirds.com.. Tomas is a TRUEASSET to the RC Universe community!! You won't find a better distributer to handle your warbird needs!!! The BESTever customer care!!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:13 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Bryan,
Tomas does not post a phone number due to working a full time job ( he is unable to talk at work)...His wife is home with a newborn and a phone ringing would not be a good thing....E-mails just seem to work the best.

Ty