Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

lx f 16

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 03:29 AM
scully2871

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lx f 16

hello need your help new to edf into glow plug balsa but i have got the edf jet bug bad now just got the lx f 16 air frame only as it seems the stock servo and set up is not to good i need some advice im on a budget so need your advice on the motor battery esc set up were i can get them and its got not to cost the earth thanks guys

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sp45135.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1505587  
Old 09-30-2010, 02:23 AM
ACES&8s

Default RE: lx f 16

the LX I built, I omit the vector nozzle and fix the nozzle in place straight. I put a stock 70mm edf from HobbyCity in the 3800kv and 4 cell. The cockpit is enough to hold the Turnigy cam too. I changed the servos. 2 elevator (all-flying stab), 2 aileron. The bird has rudder AND nose gear steering. Better for straight take-off runs. I used an 8 channel rx, using 2 separate mixes (so far) on the pitch and roll. The DX8 has several more programmable mixes...I have the aileron servos in the following ports ( aileron / Aux 1 ) and the elevator servos in the following ports ( elevator / Aux 2 ) with straight-up 100% mixes as pitch and roll. Now I can add flap mix...elevator / flap...aileron / elevator (elevon) mix (tailerons) or combinations on the three selectable flight modes. With this setup, vectoring is unnecessary and overkill. I planted a 2650mah 4s 40c Turnigy lipo in the battery holder ( cut away some of the rear of the holder to accomodate it....( about 1 inch )). Balances perfect.

No vector servos, oversize batt and vid cam in the pilots seat...balance right at 67.2 cm from the point of the nose. ( 67 centimeters ....) HXT900 servos would work but I have some digitals around, so I used DS2216's in Elevators and rudder, and the 3 retract servos. The nose steering servo is a DS929, as well as the two aileron servos. The Corona 929 metal gear digitals whine quite a bit.

The Retract servos are separately powered by a 7.5 amp BEC linear switch powered off the motor batt. So far I can't get the bugs out of the retracts. The ds2216's have over 40 ounces inch of torque too. The gear leg, pillow blocks are wobbly, and the system is spring-loaded hinges to open the doors and string to close them. The string is tied to the gear leg. Not hard to adjust, just that the blocks won't hold the gear straight enough to maintain clearance in the wells.

The aileron servos were added in by me, the stock setup has coupled stabs/ailerons. ( fly-by-wire...lol ).

The setup I have can be accomplished with a 7 channel RX, and 7 channel TX like the DX7, but I just got the 8 so I'm using it in good fashion. The last channel Aux3 is a knob, so I can add pan to the cam mounting, just plant the cam mount on top of a servo...cam looking over the hud, and 40 degrees pan left and right would be cool. As it is I have the HUD view for the cam...the canopy is a little fuzzy.

A test for the cam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wditySmP1XM
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22145.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	1508751  
Old 11-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Edge 540
My Feedback: (2)

I just finished my'n....... Almost ready for the test flight. Have any of you flown it with the armament on ???? I have a Turnagy Servo slower on the gear, and it works " knock on Wood " Flawlessly. I will be using a 5s 3000 mah battery, and a 2s 1000 mah batt for all servos. I do not believe in BEC's after loosing several planes due to faulty ones. I am looking forward to a fairly easy test flight, just curious how much air grabbing / trim veriances the under armermant may cause. I have flown a few turbines and EDF's with under armerment, and that can sometimes be fun.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:37 AM
ACES&8s

hey Edge...nice work!
Did you customize the aileron servos, or use the coupled elevator/aileron setup?
I wish I had more control of my work(I hardly ever make nice looking planes, I can make them flyable is about all)
I hope your landing gear works better than mine. I'm changing out the mount/retract system, changing to electric retracts. Harwood blocks mounting them. Soon (lol, this winter)
I had trouble with having enough power to fly with the stock power setup. I'm using the fan shroud that came with the kit, with the intake fairing. Now I'm planting a 1100 watt 3300kv outrunner turning a 4 blade HET fan/rotor _6904. As of today waiting on the motor.

(Cyclone Power CP480-3300-32EDF Motor)

The rotor has alot of clearance in the shroud, but the rotor is balanced, and the Cyclone motor is dynamicly balanced as well. Test running 4 cell and 5 cell. I have 2650 40c 4 cell packs and 2200 40c 5 cell packs to try.

Also waiting for another setup too. The 5 blade Freewing/Haoye rotor/fan shroud, and the KDA 28-47 2600kv motor. 5 Blade 5 Cell on an inrunner. Well this motor gets hot, I know cause I have the 4900kv version, and I've read reviews on the entire series. My solution for this inrunner is a aluminum heatsink.

The power setup that wins, get the chance to push the F-16 into the air.
[link=http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=70_148&products_id=1520]RC Castle Cyclone Motor[/link][link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4947]Hobby King Motor[/link]

I have some pics of the two rotors and two shrouds. The heatsink too (for inrunners). One shroud has stators with a little leading edge sweep, the other, the stators are straight in.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 AM
The Juice
My Feedback: (1)

Keep us posted on which set up you use. I am about to order the plane and was trying to figure out which power system will have good power as well as flight time.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:24 PM
ACES&8s

I got the motor(s) today. The inrunner needs some work. Two of the screw-holes are 3mm, and two are 2mm. I've got 2mm screws somewhere. Also, I have to trim the housing to allow enough contact area for the heatsink. And I have to change out the 3.5mm bullet connectors for 4mm ones. Nothing really too fancy, just tedious. The outrunner from RC Castle, the Cyclone is basicly mount and run (plug and play). On the Cyclone outrunner I have but one chore, solder the 4mm bullet males and heatshrink cover. Attached several pics so you can see what I'm talking about...
Old 11-16-2010, 12:34 PM
ACES&8s

I've been awake for 20 hours...
Old 11-16-2010, 01:14 PM
ACES&8s

Justed wanted to say...need all four screws for the mounting of the unrunner, because the duct/shroud motor housing has slots and holes. The two 2.5mm screws have to be straight in, and the 3mm have to go in the slots, the way this motor (a flaw in mfg.) was cut for threads. Later I'll probably get a 3mm tap and open up the threads, so that all four are 3mm.
I did add the intake lip on the hoaye duct. The heatsink is on with threadlocker.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:35 PM
ACES&8s

a little bright solder
Old 11-17-2010, 07:32 AM
ACES&8s

The 5 blade fan with the inrunner can't run. Keeps hitting the duct. I tried 4 of these rotors. Can't balance them.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:31 AM
CBM Racing

Hey Aces, get some sleep man! Heh heh. Hope you get it worked out as it's nice looking jet. Thanks for sharing and waiting for more reports.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:24 PM
ACES&8s

I just tested the motor from RC Castle. The Cyclone 480 3300 32edf showed good to very good performance, on a 4 cell pack. From the data, I cannot use a 5 cell.
I've posted a screenshot of the logger's program and a pic.

I have no thrust measurement, except that my box full of lipos that weighs about 12 lbs. was pushed across the table, from the breeze

Again this unit, was with a balanced HET 69mm 4 blade rotor. And a cyclone 480 3300kv and 3.2mm shaft. Watts was 680.

(Throttle reading 102%, means that the throttle calibration was without pressing the stick all the way forward, and the reading was made when I was holding pressure on it)
Old 11-19-2010, 08:39 PM
ACES&8s

6 minutes run time...30 seconds wot, 5.5 minutes 75% throttle, and with maybe about 2 minutes reduced run time for making a landing
Old 11-19-2010, 08:43 PM
The Juice

Thats not bad at all.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:36 PM
ACES&8s

Flew it on the 4 cell...It's flyable, yet under-powered...not very fast....the word is...marginal.
I am going to test the 5 cell...I have no way to know IF that HET rotor is going to hold up...and I'd not want to test it on my bench, so I'm going out (on a limb) to test it outside. I have a 2200 5 cell 40C. I'm testing it in real conditions, by blocking the plane up, in the field next to my apartment. If all goes well, I'll have a flight report, but it's very windy. I had to add balast in back to achieve the right CG.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:46 PM
ACES&8s

the 5 cell works...held up nicely. The motor needs to be cooled after running, by continuing to run it at an idle pace for a minute. Testing outside went well, so I held it nose up and ran it at full throttle, and the plane lifts a little, getting pretty close to 1:1 thrust to weight.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:28 PM
The Juice

I just got this plane in kit form from BH. I was pretty excited until I opened it and looked at the manual/picture book. Am I the victim of a joke? I cant do much with a picture book. In one picture the fan is in pieces, in the next its all together. How about the steps that show you where to put all the screws and how the fan actually goes together? The rest is the same way, just pictures of what a part looks like together and finished. Is there an actual manual somewhere that tells you how to assemble this thing?
Old 02-20-2011, 01:18 PM
tlnibert

Where can I get one
tom
Old 02-20-2011, 02:27 PM
ACES&8s

Most EDF's are from China, have scetchy instructions. The translation. Can I be of help?

On the fan unit, what motor are you using?

Have you built an R/C plane before?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:42 PM
kodiak536

I just received the exact same one from banana hobby today.

Yes, I am aware of their reputation but, this is the plane that I wanted and I took a chance.

I too have the same questions as you do and are not trying to hi-jack your post.

It's supposed to be a 7 ch with retract and vectoring. Since I only got the airframe only, I have no ideas as to what else I need to make it flight ready.

The picture book they sent were just that, photos with very little actual instructions I can follow.

The box showed a required parts to complete as follows:

8 ch RC
9 X 9g servos
50A Brushless ESC w/5A UBEC
2400KV brushless motor
18.5V 25C 2200mAh Li-Po battery

Can anyone point to the right directions as to where I may find all these parts that are reliable and affordable?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:55 AM
D I N O S

Hi I m building from scrach one F 16 with balsa etc. 180 cm long and I will like to knoe what retracts and from where I have to buy.

The plain wont be more then 6.5 kilos with 127 mm fan

Thanks

Dinos.