Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Vess Balance Ring, Anygood?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 01:10 PM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vess Balance Ring, Anygood?

I found balancing a prop (dynamically), especially a large one, to be quite a tedious experience....

If you are getting EXACT, the magnatic GP balacer is probly the best, and most sensitive...
This will only hold so heavy though, and it will drop off... ( I even built mine so I could use any thength prop I wanted)

Every prop I have owned has required a re-balance.... and I have owned many (haven't had Mejzlick though)

I have heard that if you have a engine that vibrates, even with a balanced prop, you can take the heavy side and have it inline with the
crankshaft weight, acting like a heavier weight on it...
It can help smooth out bad behaviors...or so I am told..

Feedback over on FG, has had + results with the VBR...
I guess, one could drill holes around there stock propeller plate and add lock screws to balace it out that way as well??

Cheers,,,
Old 02-20-2011, 01:24 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

It's about time someone injected some humor into this thread.
Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2011, 01:39 PM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

We could make up a shaggy dog story that ended with him having to buy her a "less balanced ring", when he thought she wanted a Vess balance ring.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:23 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

In order to wear one, she'd need a finger the size of Bride of Godzilla's ring finger![&:]
Old 02-20-2011, 02:50 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

all of my flying buddies have this Ring,they all like it, so i ask them how much for it,they said around 30.00,i said that is way to much money just to ballance a prop,when you can do the same thing for no money.just another toy for some that got to have the all new and improved.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:44 PM
plowboy1966

I don't think $30 is very much when you are talking about a plane that costs thousands. My time is worth more than that. But hey, I hear paper dolls are an inexpensive hobby if thats what you're looking for.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:17 PM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

OK, so you balance the prop to nanograms. Now, what about the prop fasteners? I just weighed (13) M5x 45 stainless steel socket head cap screws, on a reloading scale. I buy alot of fasteners for my business, so for RC stuff I just buy a bunch at a time, so I have them in the lengths I need, of very high quality fasteners.
Anyway, the 13 had a:

high of 7.66 grams, and a low of 7.61 grams
mean (average) weight: of 7.63 grams
Standard deviation of: 0.015 grams

So, no matter how well you balance your prop, you have other sources of inbalance. If you are not into the VBR, you could at least weigh all of the fasteners and select the ones you need that are the closest to the same mass. Then select the washers that are the same, and make sure the spinner is true.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:27 PM
TheRickster
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF you did not want to fool with spraying clear poly on the light blade you could also use some trim tape on the tip..

I do not think anyone has said NOT to use the VBR or that it is "Blue Sky and Snake Oil" but the fact is the old way of balancing the props does still work.. Not saying the VBR does not work but it does bring up some dynamic issues that some choose not to overlook.. There have been some statements accusing the "Older" modelers of not welcoming change.. Ultimately a balanced prop is our goal whether it be from the VBR or other means..
You still have to put the prop on a shaft fixture and either use magnets for suspension or double bearing wheels. All the steps are the same i nthe process except HOW the balance weight is added... If I balance my prop with clear poly then the prop is balanced.. IF I want to let John Q. borrow it to try there is not an issue.. With the VBR IF John Q. wants to try the prop I must reconfigure the VBR and loan him that as well thus leaving me without it also..

Rick

Old 02-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Basically whatever floats your boat. Pick the way that works for you. I can do a prop and spinner in about 15-20 minutes the "old fashioned" way so there are few times I would need a Vess ring. If I had a shop and was selling them I sure would not teach anybody how to do it the old fashiond way though.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:45 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

when i used clear coat on the back side of a prop it took me a long time to do it, it would change after dried, so i had to wait to check it, then respray if needed, then wait again, i like the vbr cause it saves me time, its cleaner, and i also like that it has a wider foot print than the standard prop washers, when i put one on a menz prop it didnt dig in and crush the wood like the smaller supplied prop washer did, to me it was worth the money and i ended up putting them on all my planes and will continue to do so, so to the original poster of this thread imo it is a good product and id reccomend it
Old 02-20-2011, 07:07 PM
JPal101
My Feedback: (32)

Pretty well balanced is not acceptable in large gas aircraft. I have two of these rings and they work great
Old 02-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

What does one do when a prop change is necessary at the field when using the Vess balance ring? The balance ring works just like a balance plane in a large steam turbine or gas turbine, just uses bigger set screws, the idea is sound I just see switching props to be a problem. I'll stick with the old fashion way until something better comes along.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: plowboy1966
Perhaps the tests have been run and the results proved negligible? For my money, it just makes sense, and at the end of the day, it's my money after all.
The above was one of the most appropriate resaons to go with a Vess ring so far. Because one wants to.

Obvously I'm not against change or doing something new. If I was I would have never changed to film coverings, CA glues, store bought props, and a great many other items. To say that film coverings are superior to fabric coverings is ludricous. They're not, but time and convenience plays large in the decision to go with one over the other.

I certainly don't have the time, or the inclination, to carve my own prop. If I did I would have already started a composite prop company.

I found "wood" planes to be inferior to composite planes a long time ago. That's change most of you have yet to embrace.

Many of us have been balancing props and spinners for a long, long time. They don't take that long, and the cost is ZERO. So why change? Where is the benefit for those that have that ability? It won't be found in time savings. It won't be found in cost savings, and it won't be found in weight savings. So for some of us there is no balance in using a balance ring. Others will be in a different position and have a need or desire not found in other groups.

The vast majority of you are far behind where I'm at. I had to move beyond the "usual" line of products to accomplish the tasks and requirements placed in front of me a long time ago. As for rejecting change, I hate to tell ya A1pc, all I do is work with change, and I'm one of those constantly promoting it. When and where such change would have a generally positive impact anyway. Since you work with PC's you cannot understand there are times when leaving something alone is better than change. I won't even delve into politics with that line.... A great many firms would just about kill to have their software remain stationary for longer than 6 months at a time.

So I'm not dealing with change so much as with participating in developing where many of you will be in the future.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:26 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am thinking it it best to balance your prop the standard way. Then, as a experiment with the Vess B on the engine also...a person could test your engine viabration at different RPM settings and see what you have. The experiment would be adding the screw in weights to see if you can smooth out the vibes at perhaps some of the RPM levels. It would be kinda like the famous Dario B. used to do. He called it over balancing. I know that did work...seen it on my cousins quadra he had.

Now the guy that said he new of a 55cc Dle that viabratedcould try this idea....maybe it would help. it would take some time to evaluate where best & how much weight was added. This would need to be done with a 4 or more bolt hub to make sure the whole mass stays in the same place. Maybe this Vess idea would be of more use that just to balance a prop. Maybe it would help engine balance. Now I know there are going to be nay-sayers. The ones that cannot seem to strive for something better. Capt,n
Old 02-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Tired Old Man

Capt'n,

Some of those that had serious issues with vibration in their new engines had a lot of it go away once they tuned them
Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 PM
rcflip

Hahahaha, i just love forums!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:46 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ref: post #75
I do not think that Robert should need to do any measuring. He has no influence on the end use. He has marketeda device that works in the hands of a skilled user.

A side note about balance:
Some only experience "unbalance" at certain rpm, where they mean "vibration". This is resonance, not unbalance. Unbalance forces get progressively worse as rpm goes up. The resulting vibration may not, if the engine is allowed to move sufficiently.
Of course, unbalance (a rotary force) CAN cause resonance, like any other alternating force.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:11 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

That post just says ''awesome''!, ''great'', ''XXXX'' etc ad infinitum; It seems to be the new vocabulary in a nutshell.
This thread, which started out as a discussion, however has degraded to namecalling and denial of a person's view of matters that matter.
That's a product announcement thread...

This thread asked for feedback from those, like myself, who have used the VBR... You do not qualify. If you feel the need to prove yourself, buy a VBR and test it out, then report your findings. Ain't nobody stopping you there....

ORIGINAL: pe reivers
A simple measurement would be to mount accelerometers to the plane nose, and run up the engine. Publish resulting X-Y axis related tertz band analisys before and after! That is what I meant by required skills. All other methods will be groping in the dark in a haphazard way.
Nothing is stopping you....
Old 02-21-2011, 05:29 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Perhaps the tests have been run and the results proved negligible? For my money, it just makes sense, and at the end of the day, it's my money after all.
The above was one of the most appropriate resaons to go with a Vess ring so far. Because one wants to.

Many of us have been balancing props and spinners for a long, long time. They don't take that long, and the cost is ZERO. So why change? Where is the benefit for those that have that ability? It won't be found in time savings. It won't be found in cost savings, and it won't be found in weight savings. So for some of us there is no balance in using a balance ring. Others will be in a different position and have a need or desire not found in other ......

Balancing a prop by itself costs something. You need the material (the paint, sand paper etc), the balancer, and spend time. The prop has been altered and could worth less for resale purpose, especially it is a high dollar CF one.

Why not brace a product that brings merits? For this hobby, Such products include: DL engines, carbon fiber material and parts, electric motor power systems. In our daily life, Facebook, google, open source movement.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:40 AM
ericrcpilot
My Feedback: (145)

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

Many of us have been balancing props and spinners for a long, long time. They don't take that long, and the cost is ZERO. So why change? Where is the benefit for those that have that ability? It won't be found in time savings. It won't be found in cost savings, and it won't be found in weight savings. So for some of us there is no balance in using a balance ring. Others will be in a different position and have a need or desire not found in other ......

Balancing a prop by itself costs something. You need the material (the paint, sand paper etc), the balancer, and spend time. The prop has been altered and could worth less for resale purpose, especially it is a high dollar CF one.

Why not brace a product that brings merits? For this hobby, Such products include: DL engines, carbon fiber material and parts, electric motor power systems. In our daily life, Facebook, google, open source movement.

Your prop is not going to be worth less money because you balanced it? Really?
Old 02-21-2011, 05:48 AM
ericrcpilot

ORIGINAL: rcflip

Hahahaha, i just love forums!!!

Fun, aren't they.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:50 AM
ericrcpilot

TOM and pe bring up some good points. They are not needed to do the job. It is just another way to achieve the same end result. To the Original Poster, yes they do work. I use it and it works well for me.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:50 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

You have not examined such props on a trading meeting. Absolutely poorly done.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:54 AM
ericrcpilot

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

You have not examined such props on a trading meeting. Absolutely poorly done.

Well that is a whole other issue if you can't balance a prop properly.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:56 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Capt'n,

Some of those that had serious issues with vibration in their new engines had a lot of it go away once they tuned them
Yes I know some viabration can be eliminated by good tuning. I am talking about the guy that has done the good tuning...and prop balance. But maybe the engine has a viabration at a RPM wherehe like to fly. With this VBR he could maybe get rid of a little more of the vibes with this device. I am not trying to sell a device...just get a idea going for progress. Also a good machinest could make one ....probably faster that odering one. Capt,n

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.