Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

is SIG on it's death bed?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

is SIG on it's death bed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: is SIG on it's death bed?

I have a new in box Seniorita! Bought it years ago when on of my daughters show interest in RC airplanes, She then went another direction and I have had it stored in my shop since!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:37 AM
futura127
My Feedback: (57)

I have two Kobra's and a King kobra that I fly now and have had at least a dozen Kougars in my lifetime of flying since 1983 and love these planes. I also have one Kobra that is new that I am in the middle of finishing now, one Kobra kit, one King Kobra Kit and one Kougar kit on all on the shelf just in case! LOL I have been thinking of ordering another round just to stock them. That should last me the rest of my life! HAHA
Old 02-18-2011, 06:15 AM
iforbes
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rambler53

Just buy NIB classics from the auction site. Try here in the forum. Better yet, go to that electric site where they don't know what to do with a balsa kit and they dump it for $20!
There is more balsa hidden away in closets than a man can count, good old fashioned balsa, dense, light, even grain, generous amounts of spruce, hardware, etc. When I build them, I toast the guy that bought it, for choosing a wonderful kit he left behind in his estate. Pica, SiG, Midwest, even Tower are among my favorites. The boxes are yellow, sometimes the plans have a water stain. That is the charm for me. I picked up an old pattern plane kit that had 5 shipping labels layered on the top of the box. It all stops here, and finally sees the building board.
Hey rambler53...what is the electric site of which you speak? I would love to get my hands on some cheap vintage kits!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:23 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Jim_Purcha

Great, I'll get arrested for snorting and trafficing balsa wood.
ORIGINAL: Kmot

Maybe someone could get the Hollywood crowd interested in doing lines of balsa dust. That would bring balsa in by the boat load from Columbia.

I tried snorting coke, but I still prefer Pepsi:-)

Gerry
Old 02-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I never knew about the wind turbine blades being stuffed with balsa wood. I wonder why they need it at all? I thought the blades were hollow carbon fiber.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:19 AM
tadawson

They have to lay up the carbon fibre on something . . . .

- Tim
Old 02-18-2011, 09:25 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yep, they build the shape of the blade out of balsa wood. and then carbon fiber over them for the strength. For the same reasons we use balsa (light weight and strong) they use it for the windmill blades. Last year I was covering an event and was talking to Mark Enderby from Balsa USA. He was telling me that one blade from a wind turbine takes one and a half sea containers of balsa to build. In comparison, he said that same about of wood is more than enough to keep Balsa USA running for an entire year!!!!!! So think about that next time you see one of those wind turbine farms when you're out driving!!!! [:@]

Ken

Old 02-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Mein Duff

So, down with wind-turbines, lets go back to solar only...or, lets cut down the wind-turbines...no brainer !!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:43 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mein Duff

So, down with wind-turbines, lets go back to solar only...or, lets cut down the wind-turbines...no brainer !!
Don't do that!!!They'll just take up more balsa to build them back up!!!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 10:39 AM
thordoggydog

There is a windmill manufacturing plant right up the road. I should see if they have scraps of balsa!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 PM
hsukaria

I bet when they build the balsa cores for the windmills that there are huge chunks of scrap left over. It would be a good idea to go scavenging around those windmill blade factories. They might actually be glad to get rid of the scrap, could save them some money!!! Maybe I should go "sniffing" around.

Back to Sig, I love their stuff. I purchased 2 ARF's from them over the years. Their ARF's are super quality, not only because of the wood, but their performance, design, hardware, and the instructions. Sig also sells a lot of other miscellaneous items like castor oil, glues, etc...that is useful to the hobby community despite their lack of balsa wood.

I also purchased a Norvel engine from them that turned out to be great. I know they don't make engines, but the sell and support them well. I have not tried their Aviatronics engines yet, but their prices are super reasonable.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:34 PM
huck1199

End grain cut balsa is also used in boat decks and cabin floors. They sandwich it between layers of fiber glass.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:51 PM
GAP-RCU

I don't think there is much worthwhile balsa scrap to be had from the wind blade industry, at least not worthwhile to us modelers. My impression is that most blades are hollow, and use a spar design much like any other wing structure. The balsa is used only as an inner sandwich material between layers of glass and/or carbon.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:16 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I read or heard that the wind turbine blades are currently being manufactured with a very light weight honey comb material that is replacing balsa in that application. Hope it's true as those wind turbine blades are huge. They can eat up a lot of balsa.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:27 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Wind turbines, what a waste of wood and national resources
Old 02-18-2011, 04:34 PM
A6TEXAN

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

You saying balsa is good to smoke???
lmfao
Old 02-18-2011, 08:17 PM
emilsanto
My Feedback: (39)

If it wasnt for this thread and another one i saw somewere else i woulnt know that the was a problem with sig kits.

my local hooby shop always has at least 8 to 12 sig kits all the time. so theres no shortage where i live. the shop has been in bussines for 30 years so maybe he gets preferance and get hid order filled fast.

i must add its the only shop i know of that even carries kits. i went to aero tec hobbies near canton/arkron today. they had probley at least 75 arf's and one kit. a great planes ultra sport thats it.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:22 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

It is getting harder and harder to find kits! Allot of the shops I go to has mostly ARF's! The only hobby store close by has only ARF's! Its sad!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Terry Bolin
My Feedback: (7)

If you cant get the balsa from Sig ( Great company!) Then I have great luck with Balsa USA.. Ordered three times last year and loved it all..
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69291.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1566239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13153.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	1566240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34573.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1566241  
Old 02-19-2011, 06:07 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: Terry Bolin

If you cant get the balsa from Sig ( Great company!) Then I have great luck with Balsa USA.. Ordered three times last year and loved it all..
Good luck!
Hi Terry. I am not familiar with the plane pictured on the left, the parasol profile. Could you tell me what it is and how to get a kit? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:15 AM
ARUP

I rec'd a large (>$400 worth) supply of balsa, bass and spruce from SIG ~ 2 months ago without problems. I also ordered an extra 1/6 Cub, dope, dope thinners, Koverall and Stix-It. I love SIG!
Old 02-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Lowvoltage

I received a Spacewalker II last week that Iordered through my LHS about 7 months ago. Things are looking up.

Joe
Old 02-19-2011, 06:53 PM
cheechukranch

I work in the wind industry and it's great fun. Wind turbines have a whole lot in common with airplanes actually - the blades are just really big wings. Most turbine blades are ~97% fiberglass and hollow. There is a small amount of high strength to weight ratio wood (sometimes balsa, depending on the manufacturer) used in the spar and almost zero carbon fiber - too expensive.

As good wind sites either become used up or unbuildable, wind developers are looking to other areas with less wind. This has really pushed manufacturers to make blades as light, large and efficient as possible. Unfortunately for us RC geeks, cheap and strong balsa will probably continue to be a minority ingredient in turbine blades unless carbon comes down in price.

But I doubt this really has anything to do with the state of affairs at Sig.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Tarasdad

The blades used in many wind power projects in the US and Europe are being built in Brazil and shipped overseas. Much of the balsa production in the region is tied up for that construction. We're basically getting the leftovers, which also accounts for the lower quality of wood suppliers and kit-and ARF-makers are getting. Fortunately there are still a few good sources for prime balsa. Unfortunately the prices are going up, just in time for me to be looking at a large purchase for scratch-building for both RC and model railroading.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:22 PM
jcrosk

Sig has been transitioning into new management and they are are in no way done; that was the message I got directly from the company. So if you are like me you can stop kicking yourself for not ordering when you had the chance. I am told the new owners are afraid to put some money into Sig and improve the company. I was also they told they just received a couple of containers of balsa. Time to order those kits I've been wanting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.