Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Building and flying the LST 1/2A Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Building and flying the LST 1/2A Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:42 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A trainer anyone?

I noticed that this thread has been producing a long and strong history.

For those that don't know the LST is an anacronym for Lynn Sipes Trainer. Lynn was a long time fan of the small side of glow modeling and Bipe Flyer named the trainer in his honor. Sadly Lynn went to the great flying field in the sky some years back. But I'm sure he would be happy to know that he's remembered here at RCU and that his love of small glow engines has been remembered by naming this design in honor of his memory.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:55 AM
wally14217
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building and flying the LST 1/2A Trainer

Hi folks being new to the hobby could someone explain to me what 1/2A or 1/8A mean thank you
Old 06-04-2010, 07:25 AM
hobbychina
Banned

It is very good,I have plywood construction.

http://www.hobby-china.com/html/e_14.html
Old 06-30-2010, 03:58 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's great to see another LST built. I do remember you starting it a few years ago and I'm glad that you have an nice plane to enjoy. You've done a very nice job of it.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:53 AM
highfly3D

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i need plans for this plane.. i tried the links but they don't work
Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bipe Flyer has had ISP problems over the years and his site server is occasionally unstable. Here are pdf's of the plans.

Andrew, if you had rather serve the plans, I can remove the attachments if you wish.

andrew
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ki20201.pdf (35.3 KB, 141 views)
Mh20855.pdf (341.5 KB, 142 views)
Gm22034.pdf (24.7 KB, 138 views)
Old 07-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Bipe Flyer

The links in the first post are working. Some on some of the other pages might have changed though. I switched to a new ISP a couple of months ago, so there shouldn't be any problems now.

Andrew, I have no problem with you posting the plans. I probably should have done them as attachments, but they were being revised for a while, so I was just updating the files on my site with a link to them.

Highfly3D, let me know if you have any questions.

PS, I'll take an Ultimate 10-300 over a Yak 54.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:39 AM
highfly3D

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

The links in the first post are working. Some on some of the other pages might have changed though. I switched to a new ISP a couple of months ago, so there shouldn't be any problems now.

Andrew, I have no problem with you posting the plans. I probably should have done them as attachments, but they were being revised for a while, so I was just updating the files on my site with a link to them.

Highfly3D, let me know if you have any questions.

PS, I'll take an Ultimate 10-300 over a Yak 54.
haha thanks the first link worked fine... earlier it did not work. But the plan is in tiled version, i have a big dot matrix printer & can print plans in one piece. If you have a one piece plan for this please let me know.

Thanks,
High
Old 09-07-2010, 06:06 PM
DCX

Alright, I'll bite.

This looks like a fun build. After reading the whole shlimeal why not I say? Need to print out Bipe's plans, oh. I hope I have enough ink...note to self, buy ink then balsa. In that order. I would really enjoy seeing how this plane flies. Can anyone post a video? It will be electric (please no beatings). I paid the price by halting a Cox .049 with my finger once. While reaching for the needle through the full speeding prop. Luckily very close to the shaft. No damage except I remember my ears were ringing and I had a sore finger. I use a 2808/something brushless motor maybe. Looking forward to having fun with this, more soon.

Best, Doug
Old 09-29-2010, 08:30 PM
propjobbill

I just finished my LST Trainer last month and I love the way it flies. I posted a video of it on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/propjobbill#p/u
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10317.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	1508672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73649.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	1508673  
Old 10-28-2010, 06:14 AM
simonta

Hi Bipe

I’ve just been looking through this listing - in particular D Bronk’s build. Your design looks like a fabulous aircraft.

I’m relatively new to R/C modelling but keen to start – in particular with a 1/2A plane. Based on my lack of experience I’m not sure whether I should buy a kit or build the LST from the plans that I have downloaded. I feel that building the LST from plans will be a steep learning curve but far more beneficial. To help me make a decision I’d be grateful for a bit of advice.

The Jr Falcon (http://www.earlyrcmodels.com/id15.html) looks like a great kit. But do you reckon this plane (assuming one added ailerons etc) is as good as the LST? And would it be easy to add ailerons?

You recommend a .074 engine for the LST – is the plan/design scalable as I would like to use my existing Cox .049 (with an R/C throttle)?

I look forward to hearing your comments.
All the best
Simon (York, UK)
Old 12-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Bipe Flyer

I must've lost my subscription to this thread.  Sorry to take so long to reply.

Simon,

If you haven't done so already, buy the JR Falcon from Early RC and build the kit.  It is an excellent little plane.  After building the JR Falcon, then you can take a crack at the LST. This should lessen the learning curve.  The LST will be a little more docile than the JR Falcon, but both are fine planes for the beginner.  Others have built the LST with an .049 for power with no problems - just keep it light and don't inadvertently add weight by trying to beef it up.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:38 AM
simonta

Thanks Bipe

I recently bought a JR Falcon kit from Early RC Models (as a Christmas present to myself). It looks great! And as you have suggested I'll have a go at this first before attempting to build the LST.

I have a couple of queries, and I 'd be grateful for any advice:

<*>If I were to use a Norvel Big Mig 0.049 instead of a Cox 0.049 (through I do have both engines) I would need to install a fuel-tank as unlike the Cox engine the Norvel doesn’t have an integrated tank. Would this be a relatively easy modification… in terms of ensuring the stability of the plane?

<*>I’m also keen to hear about your conversion of the Falcon to an electric motor, as I'm also keen to experiment with electric flight too. Could you provide any advice on doing this conversion. Is it relatively straight forward?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Take care

All the best

Simon

====>
Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Bipe Flyer

The tank wont pose a problem, there is enough room up front.

Here is a link to a JR Falcon I scratch built for a friend of mine (Yellow and black and construction photos with foam core wings).  http://bobferguson.ca/fergieshobbies/jrfalcon.htm  It is using a Mega Motor, but you can get cheaper motors from Hobby King in China, like this one.  http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5688  You'll also need a 2000 mAh 3S LiPo battery and 20A speed control, also available from Hobby King.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Bipe Flyer

ORIGINAL: propjobbill

I just finished my LST Trainer last month and I love the way it flies. I posted a video of it on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/propjobbill#p/u
I just watched the videos - looks like it flies great.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:04 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The link shows a completely different plane?

This might be the correct link? [link=http://www.youtube.com/user/propjobbill#p/u/6/KcxN1X6ZWNU]red trainer[/link]
Old 03-11-2011, 04:28 PM
MrGoodwreck

I have been looking at this thread for two days now.

Since my LHS has one single kit left, and It will be a cold day in hell before I fly an ARF ( yes, im one of those guys) I should have pretty much all of the stuff needed to build this in my spare balsa wood box. I have a new Norvel .061, and a new Norvel .049 that have been sitting in the shelf for 10 years.

This little plane just looks like a winner for simple, and fun. Im thinking Tail Dragger. [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 03-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Bipe Flyer

ORIGINAL: MrGoodwreck

I have been looking at this thread for two days now.

Since my LHS has one single kit left, and It will be a cold day in hell before I fly an ARF ( yes, im one of those guys) I should have pretty much all of the stuff needed to build this in my spare balsa wood box. I have a new Norvel .061, and a new Norvel .049 that have been sitting in the shelf for 10 years.

This little plane just looks like a winner for simple, and fun. Im thinking Tail Dragger. [sm=shades_smile.gif]

Isn't that the great thing about 1/2A? You can build a plane from the stuffinyour scrap box.

It'd be great fi youposted pictures here so we can follow along with your build.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:53 AM
hllywdb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second the Jr. Falcon, either from the kit or Dave's plans. I threw mine in the car this morning as it was such a nice day and went out to a big field by the house. Set up my beach chair, cold soda, sunglasses, and set back for some nice, relaxing therapy. Mine has a Norvel 061 so I run it at 1/2 throttle and just watch it get small and float around. Great fun.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:04 PM
NEW222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now back from the dead......

Hi there. I am in process of finally getting back on my LST Trainer. I am at a standstill with needed parts from the LHS, but will not have time soon to get there. It is about my wing. I have 1 1/4" diheral built into it. Originally I was going to add ailerons, but am now wondering if I really need them. If not, I could finish the build this weekend. But if you all figure that it needs them, back to the waiting game again..... So any opinions are welcome.

Also, do you think that 9 gram TG9 servos would be enough for the control surfaces of this bird? It WILL be powered by a NEW medallion .049 if this makes any difference. Thank you.

Servo specs are imension: 23x12.2x29mm
Torque: 1.5kg/cm (4.8V)
Operating speed: 0.10sec/60 degree
Operating voltage: 4.8V
Temperature range: 0-55C
Dead band-width: 7us
Old 06-12-2012, 09:09 AM
dmbaerry

Printed the plans today and will tape together tonight.. Is there a material list that I may have missed?
Old 06-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: dmbaerry

Printed the plans today and will tape together tonight.. Is there a material list that I may have missed?
I don't believe Andrew (aka: Bipe Flyer) ever published a list. Since the majority of the plane is constructed from 3/32" and 1/16" sheet, after you get it taped up, you should be able to get a good guesstimate of what you will need. The sheets added to some 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" square stock plus a couple of pieces of T/E should get you well on the way. Andrew designed the LST with a traditional torsion style main gear, but you could use an appropriately sized dural aluminum gear if you wanted.

Good luck with your build; you will enjoy the plane when finished.

andrew (the other andrew)
Old 06-12-2012, 11:55 AM
dmbaerry

thanks so much... this is my first scratch build ever, so wish me luck...
Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Andrew

dmbaerry -

Why don't you start a build thread for your LST. There is a tremendous amount of building experience on this forum and someone will have an answer to any question you might have. The LST is well designed and an excellent candidate for a first time scratch builder.

andrew
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Andrew

dmbaerry

There is a list of materials in post #60 on page 3 of the thread. Patrick Ulmer put one together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.