Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Press Release from AMA - Update on Upcoming FAA regulation changes

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Press Release from AMA - Update on Upcoming FAA regulation changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 PM
KidEpoxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Press Release from AMA - Update on Upcoming FAA regulation changes

Do you really think the FAA suffers from the delusion that some kook is going to get a .40 sized trainer and take down an airliner?
well, one could look at the folks decrying the lil FPV Electic flying around the Brooklyn Bridge as semi-apocalypic,
and see that there is plenty of hate for some REALLY small rc planes
(and a LOT of that hate of some small recreational rc fpv toy airplanes come from AMA members, re The Brooklyn thread)
Old 02-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Do you really think the FAA suffers from the delusion that some kook is going to get a .40 sized trainer and take down an airliner?
well, one could look at the folks decrying the lil FPV Electic flying around the Brooklyn Bridge as semi-apocalypic,
(and a LOT of that hate of some small recreational rc fpv toy airplanes come from AMA members, re The Brooklyn thread)
Not the planes, KidE, the idiots operating them!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:57 AM
psuguru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RTK

[We still live in a free country.
What?
You live in Cuba?

Old 02-25-2011, 05:22 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

Not the planes, KidE, the idiots operating them!
I think a more correct term would be simpletons instead of idiots but your point is correct.

Regards
Frank
Old 02-25-2011, 05:47 AM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

I still think some of you are over-reacting. Do you really think the FAA suffers from the delusion that some kook is going to get a .40 sized trainer and take down an airliner? I highly doubt it. I don't even see how it would be possible, or even have any form of accuracy even with FPV equipment. Now, on the other hand, if some gun-grabbing politician blathered to the media, and the media shoots off its mouth about some doofus who might fly his park flyer in the middle of the expressway to cause an accident, then there might be some reason for alarm. But needless to say, nothing like that has ever happened and the FAA is only into protecting manned aviation interests.

Folks: I don't see how they will stop people from flying an Extra with a .90 four-stroke at the local club. What are they going to do? Require a handgun registration for someone who just wants to go out with his/her .40 sized trainer?

NorfolkSouthern

I don't know.....I have seen this go bad many many times.......there are things in this country that are "Illegal" for one and not for another.....

I know the gun rights I hold in South Florida are AWESOME compaired to some in other parts of this great country......so I would be careful and NOT underestimate the FAA

I can carry my Glock with a 17 round clip when I head out this morning......walk into a pizza place with it under my shirt, and eat lunch.....as I have a conceled carry permit.

There are states you can not even own a semi-auto pistol with a 17 round magazie, in the peace of your own home!

I would not say we are over reacting and I say to heir on the side of caution, and be prepaired to defend our "Privledge" to fly in the manner we have for the last 100+ years.......

Old 02-25-2011, 05:56 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Absolutely...NEVER underestimate the FAA's desire to regulate and control. Or any government bureaucracy's desire, for that matter. Regulate/control=power=funding=government (private sector funded) jobs.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:14 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I plan on emailing them every day.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

#4 Hoss
There will be a lot that will just say F-it, sell the stuff an find a different hobby rather than bow to the ama or even the faa. I know I will. The ama is in this to also line their own pockets an truth be known, they probably was the ones to get this ball rollin in the first place, or at least give it a shove.
Toolman, I would never argue with anything you say above. AMA Pres. Mathewson runs a FBO. He is in prime position to be effective with FAA in any direction he so pleases. OTOH, I have no real idea of what it is that he pleases.

As for my personal situation, I was building or trying to build models from 6 years old. I loved airplanes although no one else in the family cared for them. At age 20, I received my first set of wings and gold bars in the USAF. All through my life, model airplanes were my THING. Real airplanes paid for the cost of model airplanes.
Now in my late years, I don't wish to search otherwise and don't care to relegate to only fishing and hunting. Model airplanes reign supreme.
If the AMA sees a future in the CBO operation and most all RC folks have to belong to AMA, well, I really don't care. Support by other organizations, NRA, TSRA, American Legion, 55 years a member of USAA, and a couple others are all a part of being represented before the Congress. I belong to each mentioned.
It's about time AMA grew up and became responsible, along with model airplane fliers. I firmly believe AMA needs a Voice and a separate Foundation.
I will never say F-it.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 AM
The Toolman

Well Hoss, I will still fly whenever I want, but if it comes down to having to belong to the ama or some offshoot of it to fly without getting fined, then I will say F-it. The ama needs me a whole lot more than I want them, and I intend to keep it that way.

I believe in the next coupla years, flying is liable to be the last thing on a lot of peoples mind. I would imagine that the NRA #'s are swelling a lot daily, an so are gun sales. This deal in Wisconsin is just a starting point of what is coming I believe, and it not going to get any better for quite awhile I'd bet.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Dirtnaper
My Feedback: (11)

I truly put all my faith in our great leaders in Washington. Didnt We the people vote and put them there, dont they work for us?

Ofcourse they should regulate all things, look at the great job they are doing for all of us.

Here pretty soon I wont have to work and I will get monthly checks and FREE healthcare.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:23 AM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: Dirtnaper

I truly put all my faith in our great leaders in Washington. Didnt We the people vote and put them there, dont they work for us?

Ofcourse they should regulate all things, look at the great job they are doing for all of us.

Here pretty soon I wont have to work and I will get monthly checks and FREE healthcare.

Don't count me in with that we. I didn't vote for that money key. I went with Sarah!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Dirtnaper
My Feedback: (11)

yeah, but there were bunches who did and still do and will.............
Old 02-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Longbaskt
My Feedback: (5)

Just so you know it's not a done deal yet.... I found this in the NYT's: Published: February 25, 2011

WASHINGTON — After another quiet appearance on the Senate floor, Senator Marco Rubio, the heralded freshman Republican from Florida, quickly made his way back to his office, avoiding eye contact with a phalanx of reporters in the Capitol basement.

Not long after Mr. Rubio’s exit, a second rookie Republican, Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, charged in the opposite direction, hurrying to the chamber to challenge an aviation measure that had strong backing from both parties.

Keep those letters coming. I'm still waiting for the nay-say'rs to tell me what they are actually DOING to keep their hobby. Riding on the shirttails of other fliers and then taking the F-it way out is no better than the terrorists... And NO, the AMA has no need for you.... you're a insurance claim waiting to happen.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:19 PM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: Longbaskt

Just so you know it's not a done deal yet.... I found this in the NYT's: Published: February 25, 2011

WASHINGTON — After another quiet appearance on the Senate floor, Senator Marco Rubio, the heralded freshman Republican from Florida, quickly made his way back to his office, avoiding eye contact with a phalanx of reporters in the Capitol basement.

Not long after Mr. Rubio’s exit, a second rookie Republican, Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, charged in the opposite direction, hurrying to the chamber to challenge an aviation measure that had strong backing from both parties.

Keep those letters coming. I'm still waiting for the nay-say'rs to tell me what they are actually DOING to keep their hobby. Riding on the shirttails of other fliers and then taking the F-it way out is no better than the terrorists... And NO, the AMA has no need for you.... you're a insurance claim waiting to happen.

Ahhh another feller from the great broke state of Kalif. Home of the idiot nancy peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelosi .

I'm sure Kalif. will glad beg for $ from the rest of the country to support their luxury lifestyles, just like poor ol charlie sheen does every week.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:34 PM
KidEpoxy

Well, if we scroll back a few pages of the thread
we see that someone already mentioned that s223 had over 100 amendments put forth,
one of them is s223a86 about model aircraft that got unanimous support to be included into the bill,
and another was s223a21 about Reducing the FAA budget to 2008 spending levels, which was tabled in a close vote.

It seems the guy that wrote the 2008 spending amendment(that was tabled in Senate)
is actively trying to get his amendment back on the bill
... I guess he REALLY wants to cut spending(including FAA spending) back to 2008 numbers

The fight over s223 is not going to be over the unanimously supported Toy Airplane amendment,
but the fight will be over the other amendments... like the 2008 Spending Cap for instance.
I believe we can all think of a group of folks that will fight that amendment to a bill AMA members really want to pass
(like an entire political party for example)
Old 02-25-2011, 12:36 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

[sm=thumbs_up.gif] Amen and well said. I don't care if this is the 'wrong' bill, wrong issue, whatever, according to some know-it-alls here. The bottom line is that the politicians will get the message that something has everybody spooled up enough to write. Doing nothing while quibbling over exact details is to waste valuable time.

Enough of the Nattering Nabobs. Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:38 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

We have all the fruits and nuts over here on the left coast, in more ways than one

Ahhh another feller from the great broke state of Kalif. Home of the idiot nancy peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelosi .

I'm sure Kalif. will glad beg for $ from the rest of the country to support their luxury lifestyles, just like poor ol charlie sheen does every week.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:08 PM
iron eagel

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

The bottom line is that the politicians will get the message that something has everybody spooled up enough to write. Doing nothing while quibbling over exact details is to waste valuable time.
Well said!

Start writing guys!
And not just email, send them some paper to shuffle as well!
Old 02-25-2011, 01:10 PM
hairy46

The so called leader is ignoring laws, I reckon that means that if they pass any stupid laws we the people can also ignore them! I for one have not caused any problems with my RC airplanes, I just go out and enjoy flying them and that is what I will be doing as long as I still have a breath in me period! Let them pass these stupid laws! As far as I am concern what laws!!! Its time to put the garbage back in the garbage cans and start over! I for one am fed up with whats going on and it not just the FAA!!
Old 02-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Longbaskt
My Feedback: (5)

Try and keep up and stay on point... this is about the AMA and the FAA... not what state you reside in. I'll ask again... what have you actually done to keep your hobby safe and sound for future generations? Concentrate on that!
Old 02-25-2011, 02:40 PM
RTK

Try and keep up and stay on point... this is about the AMA and the FAA... not what state you reside in. I'll ask again... what have you actually done to keep your hobby safe and sound for future generations? Concentrate on that!
I do not think the biggest complainers can answer that because they have done nothing.............
Old 02-25-2011, 02:41 PM
The Toolman

Nothing, are ya happy now?

I'm tired of coddling these younger generation, let'em grow up an take care of their own problems. Thats whats wrong with the bunch we got now, my generation let'em get away with everything an look where it got us old f*rts now............
Old 02-25-2011, 02:47 PM
KidEpoxy

I'll ask again... what have you actually done to keep your hobby safe and sound for future generations?
Oh, thats an easy one.
I remind folks(AMA members) that we(AMA) are here to protect the hobby,
not to secure our own privileges while watching the bus roll over the hobby.
Seems a bunch of members have lost sight of 'keeping the hobby safe' and only care about keeping themselves safe

This entire senate action
is an exercise in having the feds steamroller the hobby but making sure WE dont get any of that night mare on US
Old 02-25-2011, 03:00 PM
RTK

I'm tired of coddling these younger generation, let'em grow up an take care of their own problems. Thats whats wrong with the bunch we got now, my generation let'em get away with everything an look where it got us old f*rts now............
I can't disagree with that........
Old 02-25-2011, 03:01 PM
RTK

I'll ask again... what have you actually done to keep your hobby safe and sound for future generations?
Oh, thats an easy one.
I remind folks(AMA members) that we(AMA) are here to protect the hobby,
not to secure our own privileges while watching the bus roll over the hobby.
Seems a bunch of members have lost sight of 'keeping the hobby safe' and only care about keeping themselves safe

This entire senate action
is an exercise in having the feds steamroller the hobby but making sure WE dont get any of that night mare on US

That still does not aswer the question, are you a politician by chance??????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.