Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

Perry Swap Meet - Work Stand Prototype - Pics attached

Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Perry Swap Meet - Work Stand Prototype - Pics attached

Old 01-31-2011, 04:54 PM
guitardude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perry Swap Meet - Work Stand Prototype - Pics attached

Hello everyone, I'm in the process of prototyping an RC Aircraft Work Stand/Station, and I have been thinking of using the Perry Swap Meet for a test bed to see what kind of interest fellow RC Aircraft pilots/builders would have in purchasing the product. And to tell me what they "do" and "don't" like about it. It will also help in determining whether or not my pricing is in line. Though I haven't seen anything out there like this, but that's not saying someone has something similar.

To give you a little teaser on the prototype, it will hold both the fuselage and wing of most model aircraft up to about a 50cc size plane, but it's so adjustable that you can actually place something as small as a Radical RC Micro Stick (17" wing span) in the stand. The REAL selling point is that once the wing or fuselage or both are in the stand, you can tilt it down at an angle so it makes it easier to access the intside of your fuselage to work in, and the other REALLY big plus is that when mounting single or multiple servos in your wings, you won't be bent over your work bench trying to put the servos in as again you can tilt the wing toward you for easier access.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has an idea of how many attendees there are during the course of the Swap Meet?

I'm trying to determine how many "Work Stands/Stations" I would need to kit up for the swap meet, so having an idea of the number of attendees would definitely help. I took the "prototype" to my buddies airfield last weekend and had several people tell me if I do make it in a kit they would like to purchase one. So my first thoughts were to make 48 "Work Stands/Stations" (they are laser cut in quantities of 6 units), but now I think it might be wise to kit up more of the units for the Perry Swap Meet.

This is my first try at prototyping, manufacturing and marketing something like this, so any information would be greatly appreciated. And since I'm one of many of the unemployed in Telecommunications, the cash flow might help out.

Thanks,
David
Old 02-01-2011, 05:52 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Perry Swap Meet - Work Stand Prototype - Pics attached

There are typically several thousand people in attendance. It is the largest swap meet in the US. It has grown now to three large buildings and an additional indoor flying site. It sounds like a great item that people would be interested in and you would probably get plenty of attention.
Look forward to seeing it.
Tommy
Old 02-03-2011, 12:20 PM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

This year will be my 4th or 5th year of the Perry swap meet. There will be a ton of people there. 3 buildings, mostly full, with people selling even more stuff in the parking lot and inbetween the buildings.

A couple of years ago, there was a guy there who was selling something sort of similar to what you are proposing. He had some very nice field stands that he had made. The price was very reasonable. It didn't look like he sold any. I didn't see him there last year.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Sudden Silence

As stated earlier in the thread I think turn out will be good. But given the information you gave I have to ask do you have a table reserved? There will be more than 1000 tables for sellers but they sold out very quick this year. There is always the chance a person or so with reserved tables no shows but there is always more people wanting those tables than there are no shows. You might want to contact Norm Deputy befor you make too many stands.
http://gamarc.com/georgia.html
Having said all that please do come down and bring an indoor plane to fly.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10298268/tm.htm
ORIGINAL: guitardude

Hello everyone, I'm in the process of prototyping an RC Aircraft Work Stand/Station, and I have been thinking of using the Perry Swap Meet for a test bed to see what kind of interest fellow RC Aircraft pilots/builders would have in purchasing the product. And to tell me what they "do" and "don't" like about it. It will also help in determining whether or not my pricing is in line. Though I haven't seen anything out there like this, but that's not saying someone has something similar.

To give you a little teaser on the prototype, it will hold both the fuselage and wing of most model aircraft up to about a 50cc size plane, but it's so adjustable that you can actually place something as small as a Radical RC Micro Stick (17" wing span) in the stand. The REAL selling point is that once the wing or fuselage or both are in the stand, you can tilt it down at an angle so it makes it easier to access the intside of your fuselage to work in, and the other REALLY big plus is that when mounting single or multiple servos in your wings, you won't be bent over your work bench trying to put the servos in as again you can tilt the wing toward you for easier access.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has an idea of how many attendees there are during the course of the Swap Meet?

I'm trying to determine how many "Work Stands/Stations" I would need to kit up for the swap meet, so having an idea of the number of attendees would definitely help. I took the "prototype" to my buddies airfield last weekend and had several people tell me if I do make it in a kit they would like to purchase one. So my first thoughts were to make 48 "Work Stands/Stations" (they are laser cut in quantities of 6 units), but now I think it might be wise to kit up more of the units for the Perry Swap Meet.

This is my first try at prototyping, manufacturing and marketing something like this, so any information would be greatly appreciated. And since I'm one of many of the unemployed in Telecommunications, the cash flow might help out.

Thanks,
David
Old 02-20-2011, 05:23 PM
WGRoper
My Feedback: (2)

I'll be there in the Miller-Murphy-Howard building cutting custom vinyl graphics on site. If you make it down, bring one of your kits over to my table (W-78), I'll be glad to send folks your way. Maybe you can do the same for me.

-Greg
Old 02-27-2011, 08:35 AM
guitardude

Hello every one, We got about 50 kits completed and ready to go for the Perry Swap Meet, and probably a table in the Heritage Hall Building. I've uploaded some pictures of the stand. Note that the top horizontal arm where the aircraft will sit also tilts and the "L" shaped Clamps can be moved to either side of the arms for a variety of aircraft sizes and positions to work on your aircraft. In addition, you can adjust the width of the stand for shorter/smaller aircraft. I can actually get a "Radical RC Micro Low Stick" in my stand to work on it. ALSO, the reasons the arms are 24" long is so you can place your wings into the stand, tilt the arms and be able to access the servos in the wing easier. In addition, I've gotten up to a 120 size 70" wing span fuselage and wing in the stand so you can plug up all your servos and not have to put the aircraft together to set up your linkages and throws. Please note that this IS a kit and you'll need to build it but ALL the parts and ALL the hardware are included in the kit including the foam padding. Selling price is probably going to be $65 to $75 at the Perry Meet with TAX included.

If you have any suggestions that you think might make the work stand better I'd really like to hear them.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49949.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1570705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45174.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1570706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48767.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1570707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75545.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1570708  
Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 PM
WGRoper
My Feedback: (2)

Looks really good! I'd like to see one in person, I'll be looking you up at the show.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:48 AM
rebranger

Yes, it does look nice. I too will try to find you. Our tables are in the McGill Bldg. Pls look us up, we'll probably take one or two.
Thanks,
Ed Hood