Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

redcat vs traxxas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:12 PM
5lagd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redcat vs traxxas?

for the money which redcat will compare with the tmaxx? or other traxxas'?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: redcat vs traxxas?

the avalnche is about all you can compare to the tmaxx as far as redcats and the avalanche is way better. The only advantage traxxas has over redcat for some people is the easy start. Thats about it. Reverse you can throw in the garbage. lol
Old 12-20-2007, 09:39 PM
5lagd

what about 1/10 scale? what is the best bang for your buck?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:02 PM
kuppler

i like the Redcat Volcano SV
Old 12-20-2007, 10:09 PM
xjedix

ORIGINAL: Clermont Hobby

Reverse you can throw in the garbage. lol
The reverse is not all bad. I have seen my neighbor use it a couple times with his Tmaxx. While it is a nice feature it only adds more parts to break or wear out; it would by no means be a deciding factor in what to buy.

I am brand new to the Redcats (bought a Tornado BB a month ago) and can already tell you that it is a better product then Traxxas nitro cars. I have owned 3 Traxxas cars (Nitro Sport, Nitro Rustler, Nitro 4-Tec) and all three were garbage. I would spend more time buying parts and fixing them then driving. My Redcat Tornado has been nothing but as dream to own so far.

Just my .02

-Derek
Old 12-20-2007, 11:19 PM
twomanytoys

Avalanche will smoke a t maxx in every way and even give the revo a run for its money. As for 1/10 I think traxxas has that one. My Jato was great and redcat dont have anything that even compaires. The rusty is also pretty tough.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:57 AM
{GBI}Harryball

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

Avalanche will smoke a t maxx in every way and even give the revo a run for its money. As for 1/10 I think traxxas has that one. My Jato was great and redcat dont have anything that even compaires. The rusty is also pretty tough.
Your right about the jato LOL I love mine. I think your right about the avalanche it should beet up on the t maxx and revo. I think the only way the revo is competative is if you can keep it from rolling.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:20 AM
bluecaka69

my opinion is you cant even compare avalanche to anything traxxas since avalanche is 1/8th and everything traxxas is 1/10th scale
Old 12-21-2007, 09:56 AM
twomanytoys

You are right. You cant really compair a 1/8 to a 1/10 but he asked the question and with out a doubt the avalanche, monsoon and hurricane is better than anything traxxas has. That has to say something about redcat.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Redcat Nick

Well once you put a big block in a revo or a t-max it pretty much becomes a 1/8. Same size engine and there almost the same size too. The revo is just about the same size as the monsoon so pretty much a 1/8 with a small block engine.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:41 PM
firstflyer

Want to buy my first nitro truck, considering red cat racing earthquake 3.0 or traxxas nitro stampede, which is the all around best choice?
Old 10-29-2010, 10:33 PM
rc2008
My Feedback: (25)

i had a redcat volcano sv i loved it the thing would take a very bad beating. i know first hand my ex girlfriends dad back over mine with his jeep it broke a lot of things but i still drove it another 5 minutes before the wheels completely broke off of it.[]  but it was fun while it lasted
Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 PM
buggyboy2010

Hey firstflyer!, They are both amazing vehicles, But for price and customer support, You can't beat Redcat. Both the Traxxas and Redcat are matched in quality and durability, My buddy has the Earthquake and it's wicked, Watched that thing blow past any other RC it was put up against.. I've seen many videos of the Earthquake demolishing the Stampede as well. But all in Your choice bud! Good luck!
Old 10-30-2010, 04:55 PM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

I race the avalanche at our club races at our track and it runs great with the revos and the savages I have won quite a few races with the avalanche. what a great truck.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:16 PM
nitrofumes78

i had the redcat earthquake 3.0 and it sucked. every time i drove the friggin thing something broke. had all the alum upgrades on it and it still sucked, i owned the truck for only 3months... now i have the hpi savage x 4.6 rtr and this truck is awesome no problems with it at all. has gone through water, grass, gravel, mud, dirt, and snow and it kicked ass. I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!!!!!!!! 
Old 11-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Torch39

This is a hard question to ask. Part of this hobby is fixing the rc car. that a fact. Depending on who you talk on they may love redcat and never had trouble with there car. But u talk to the next guy and he had nothing but trouble. Its the nature of this hobby. Same goes for HPIand Traxxas Iherd guys that love them and guys that hate them.

Personal I used to own a HPIsuper RS4 on road car that gave me little trouble. It was also on road so bashing was at a minium.

Right now Iown a Tornado S30 that Ilove but it has broken a few times so far. Most of that was bashing. Mainly my fault. Gravel is not a freind to rc car (cost me 4 dogbones). Other day I filped the car and lost a front will LOL. All and all it an awesome car and at a unbeatable price tag. Iknow even if Ipaid doulbe for a hpi or traxass It would break too.

No matter what you buy be ready to repair and buy parts for you car. That is a huge part of this hobby. Luckly for me redcat parts are dirt cheap and I can get them very fast which keeps my car moving longer.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:46 PM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Torch39

This is a hard question to ask. Part of this hobby is fixing the rc car. that a fact. Depending on who you talk on they may love redcat and never had trouble with there car. But u talk to the next guy and he had nothing but trouble. Its the nature of this hobby. Same goes for HPIand Traxxas Iherd guys that love them and guys that hate them.

Personal I used to own a HPIsuper RS4 on road car that gave me little trouble. It was also on road so bashing was at a minium.

Right now Iown a Tornado S30 that Ilove but it has broken a few times so far. Most of that was bashing. Mainly my fault. Gravel is not a freind to rc car (cost me 4 dogbones). Other day I filped the car and lost a front will LOL. All and all it an awesome car and at a unbeatable price tag. Iknow even if Ipaid doulbe for a hpi or traxass It would break too.

No matter what you buy be ready to repair and buy parts for you car. That is a huge part of this hobby. Luckly for me redcat parts are dirt cheap and I can get them very fast which keeps my car moving longer.

Great comment!!!!!!!!!! So true.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Valgath

i agree with torch39 my redcat EQ 3.5 i had for almost 8 months and havent broken a plastic part yet altho i have bent 4 dog bones and broken 3 dogbones but that was due to the camber i put on the front wheels so that was my fault , i have bent bolts due to bashing to hard again my fault , the only thing i can recall that wasnt my fualt was when i had a knuckle pop out and sent the car barrel rolling and i snapped my 17mm adapter on the right front easy fix tho lol . What im trying to say is the same as torch39 i havent had any probs with redcats product other than due to user error , great product .
Old 11-07-2010, 09:17 AM
formula87

I have both, and run both at my LHS's track.......  They both have their pros and cons........... the only pro I can say about Traxxas, Assoc, or HPI is that my LHS carries most parts for them....not RedCat  I take both to the track and I have had to work on both the same amount of time   but my Traxxas Slash is 2wd and half the batt pwr of my Backdraft which is quicker,faster and 4wd.  But both are a blast and both cost about the same to keep up with maint and parts.  But parts for the Redcat are half as much as the Traxxas and almost as easy to get.   They are so cheap that I over bought alot of parts from Kurt@URCHobby and I still have yet to open any parts bags!!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:11 AM
awsome36

well redcats are alot cheaper and are very durable. ive had 8 ( eartquake 8e. volcano sv volcano epx tornado epx shockwave monsoon earthquake 3.5 and the mtpro i lovethe all and traxas just aintworth it redcat parts you have to orderofthe internet usually but isnot bad
Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have several redcat models, and have owned many traxxas.

both brands i broke the same kinda parts. steering knuckle, dogbone, body, spur gear.

redcat has a slight edge in my book, cause their models cost less.

i had a rustler vxl, which i liked alot! but $300 truck+50 lipo+50 charger=$400 for a brushless lipo powered 2wd 1/10 scale truck.
now i have the earthquake 8e $300 truck + $25 better servo=$325 for a brushless lipo powered 4wd 1/8 scale truck

again, not knocking the traxxas at all. it was a great truck. just cost more.

for the price of traxxas brushed models, you can get redcat's brushless caldera 10e. both are RTR with 2.4ghz and battery, but the caldera is a bit faster out of the box and is 4wd. slap a lipo in it and it will really haul!

redcat is actually forcing the bigger companies to give us more for our money. redcat has 2.4ghz and batteries included in their RTR models before traxxas did. now traxxas has done the same.

people want to compare brands all the time....i say there is nothing wrong with owning a few brands yourself! we dont have to be locked into just 1 brand. i have redcat, losi, hpi, axial, rctraxx.

every brand breaks parts, every brand needs work, every brand has models that are fun!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:30 AM
cswtornado

Don't get Redcat 1/10 scale, redcat 1/8 scale are supposed to be really good.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:10 AM
johnr2604

For 1/10 scale redcat I would say the caldera. I havn't owned a volcano but I do own a tornado (uses a lot of the same parts) I can say the caldera is a far superior rc over the tornado. The Caldera uses the same drivetrain parts as the 1/8 scales
Old 03-01-2011, 04:33 PM
lhbrickman

I have a Earthquake 3.5 and a T Maxx 3.3. The trucks are the exact same size except the Maxx sits up a little higher. The Redcat is faster but I think the Maxx handles better. The Maxx has much more upgrades to make it stronger. The Redcat only have a few to the front end. That being said I could have bought 2 Redcats for the price of the Maxx. I like owning both trucks and I really cant decide which one I like better. Sorry I quess this really wont help any decisions.