Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Old 02-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Hi

AT ,.................... you are always there with a answer ,................................

Michel
Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 AM
avronaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: A.T.

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle Hi Hey ,......................... I just noticed the date , what happened to Febuary 11 , the up-dates aren,t out are they ?
Michel
Aurora 9 - Firmware Update V1.08 which is due Feb25 - preview with many screen shots of the new displays.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
(quick search = Ctrl+F)

"due Feb25"

Give us a next date :-)

Old 02-28-2011, 01:23 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: avronaut "due Feb25" Give us a next date :-)

FAQ page was amended early yesterday:
Aurora 9 - Firmware Update V1.08 which is due early March 2011 complete except documentation.

Release is imminent.
am also champing at the bit but would rather have it presented correctly.

Alan T.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Michel

Hi

Well ,................ I waited 8 weeks for my A9 ,.................. 17 weeks for my extra receivers , and I waited 21 weeks for the telemetry .

What we should do is everyone pick a date , and see the outcome .

Friday , march 25th , . I still love my A9 . wouldn,t trade it for any other system ,............ period

Like Mike said : last one at the party ,.................. but brought the best looking chick . ( Girl )

Regards

Michel
Old 02-28-2011, 03:16 PM
JIMF14D

That was last year. This year things are much better. ......
Old 02-28-2011, 03:22 PM
brenthampton79

Well got to use my new a9 this weekend. I really liked the feel and everything. I just got my telemetry stuff in from tower to try out. I used the 7ch rx in a 40 size gp extra, but am thinking of putting it in my new dle 20 60 size kit i just got done with and also install all the tlemetry in it. I am a little paranoid though and hesitant about switching. Do you guys think the 7ch rx will be fine with a dle 20 gas engine. This is my newest model and would really like to have the telemtry for the tank, rpm, temps, and rx battery information at my finger tips, but I am worried about that one rx antenna, guess the futaba rx's have me stuck in this mentality that two antennas are safer, from what i've read and understand the single boda is as good if not better. Also how do you position the antenna, straight back, sideways, or some other way? Do you guys think i would be as safe with this 7ch rx as I would be with a futaba 7ch rx?
Old 02-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Michel

Hi

Youre just going through teething problems ( we all went through that ) ,................................ go my boy ,... go [sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Every thing you mentioned above , has a go with me . The most important thing , is to do a range check , WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING . I,ve already tryed to screw it up ,................................ and I couldn,t

Michel
Old 02-28-2011, 03:45 PM
brenthampton79

Thanks Mike, but i couldn't see your pics, so how would you position the rx antenna, I couldn't find anything in the manual. Also just out of curosity has anyone ever had a problem with the a9, I've looked all over rcu and couldn't find any reports at all.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:18 PM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: brenthampton79

Well got to use my new a9 this weekend. I really liked the feel and everything. I just got my telemetry stuff in from tower to try out. I used the 7ch rx in a 40 size gp extra, but am thinking of putting it in my new dle 20 60 size kit i just got done with and also install all the tlemetry in it. I am a little paranoid though and hesitant about switching. Do you guys think the 7ch rx will be fine with a dle 20 gas engine. This is my newest model and would really like to have the telemtry for the tank, rpm, temps, and rx battery information at my finger tips, but I am worried about that one rx antenna, guess the futaba rx's have me stuck in this mentality that two antennas are safer, from what i've read and understand the single boda is as good if not better. Also how do you position the antenna, straight back, sideways, or some other way? Do you guys think i would be as safe with this 7ch rx as I would be with a futaba 7ch rx?
Personally, before putting new equipment on my best and newest model I tend to do a period of testing. I am not saying the aurora is not to be trusted, I've been using it intensively for about one year without any trouble and I am about to use it on a turbine model, but this said, every piece of equipment is potentially subject to "early faults". I remember when I switched to the Aurora at the beginning I wasn't feeling comfortable with the sticks. Took me a few weeks to get the tension and throttle ratchet the way I liked and felt most comfortable with. This post is not to put you off having fun with your aurora, but if any problem needs to arise, it will be at the beginning, when you do not know the device well and when you have not tested it in practice. This also goes for software updates: I wouldn't fly any recently updated tx/rx on a valuable model.

Regarding the antenna position: the only problem which can [potentially] arise with the signal quality is engine shadowing, if the engine "eclipses" the antenna, you [may, remotely] have a chance to get decreased range, so try to keep it far from both the engine and the ignition system. You may notice a decrease in range if you put the engine between your TX and your RX while doing a range test. There have been reports about this in this thread, but it might as well be a ghost: I've never experienced it myself, and I fly a 6 channel single antenna rx in one of my planes.

The rx will be fine with the dle, but like it has been suggested by others, make sure you do range tests with the engine running, and at different throttle settings.

Hoping I've been useful...
Regards
Old 02-28-2011, 04:26 PM
mauryr

Also, and this is a suggestion I strongly support, do NOT postpone the usage of the SPC port: it is a very good idea to use it from the very first flight because it ensures proper voltage reaches the rx at any time, even in case of an under-dimensioned power supply. In this regard, I suggest also wiggling the sticks real fast (or running the "test" mode in the servo monitor menu with your throttle stick set to maximum). While you do this, keep an eye on the voltage reported by the rx on your tx screen: this test will give you a worst-case scenario with your power supply stressed more than it will ever be in flight. If the tx beeps or the voltage dips, then you shouldn't fly and take care of it. The TX will beep after detecting a dip in the reported voltage, even if the battery is still very high (i.e. you use a 3S battery on the SPC port and the voltage drops to 9v, while the nominal voltage is 11.1). When this happens, servos might get jittery.

Regards
Old 02-28-2011, 06:55 PM
brenthampton79

Thanks for the advice guys, I think im going to try this sensor stuff out on my .40 extra first thats been a little worn and see how it works.

Maury so whats the deal with the spc port? Could i just plug my battery in there instead of the 7th channel if i wanted to use it? Also what about plugging more than one battery into the rx, like two 1100 mah batts for redundancy. Is this okay or not?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 PM
mauryr

Thanks for the advice guys, I think im going to try this sensor stuff out on my .40 extra first thats been a little worn and see how it works.

Maury so whats the deal with the spc port? Could i just plug my battery in there instead of the 7th channel if i wanted to use it? Also what about plugging more than one battery into the rx, like two 1100 mah batts for redundancy. Is this okay or not?
The spc port is a high voltage power supply for the RX ONLY. This means if you are using a regulator, you can plug the battery (up to 32v if I remember correctly, check the manual), directly to the SPC port: this will allow you to monitor the status of the battery directly on your RX at any point in flight. The servos will have to be powered as you would without using the SPC. You can plug the same battery to both ports, or you can use different ones so that you have a dedicated power supply for the RX (you could use a small 500 mAh 2/3s lipo battery such as those used for indoor foamies), this depends on your personal preference.

You can connect 2 batts for redundancy, but it's not very simple to do it well, if you really want added safety. There are 2 ways:
1) you just connect them in parallel and fly it that way, but if one battery suddenly shorts (no idea why this should happen, but I guess it might), the system will fail so you didn't really gain anything.
2) you connect each pack to a common line through a diode (must be sized for your plane, I use 5A on a .91 airplane with 8 hs81mg servos). Doing this requires 5 nicd cells, because the diodes dip the tension and you must compensate by adding one more cell, and that will effectively raise the power supply to your servos to about 5,5~5,6 volt, also making them more responsive and powerful). This way you have "real"batteryredundancy, assuming each one of them is able to run the whole system efficiently on its own. Now, why you would want to do this, I dont know: securing the power supply connectors (i use a tack of hot glue) would give you a much better level of safety, for my jet project I m going dual receiver, but otherwise I would actually consider soldering the spc leads to the rx . Of course you can just do both things - little hot glue tack and double batt with diodes

If you are just worried a battery may discharge in flight because of wear or whatever, keep in mind you can monitor the voltage in real time, and you'll also get an acoustic warning, so you won't be caught off-guard.

In my case, I did something like this because I had the materials available and I didn't trust them too much: a cheap 3A hobbyking BEC, a 3s 2000 mAh lipo and a battery pack made with "supermarket quality" niMh batts. The niMh don't provide enough current for smooth operation, and I didn't trust the hobbyking unit enough to give it full responsibility, so I made a small circuit with the diodes and it has been working flawlessly for many flights, with both battery packs discharging during flight (albeit very slowly: one charge every about 30 flights).

Hope this info can help you out, happy to help if you need more

Old 02-28-2011, 07:25 PM
mauryr

The SPC connector comes with the RX and is RED for a reason: be VERY mindful of where you plug it in your radio, if you use 3s+ batteries and you plug it in the servos side of the rx, you're in for a nasty surprise, don't ask me how I know

Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 PM
brenthampton79

okay I think i understand and i am being way to paranoid I think, I used to only use one switch/battery and everthing and never lost a plane due to the battery and switch, I think i just need to hook the darn thing up like I used to, one switch, battery, rx, etc. I am getting way to technical for a 500-600 dollar plane you can't stop murphy and thats what i think im trying to do. Its not like im riding in the thing or its 5000 dollar investment, thats why i like the smaller ones, if something goes wrong im out a couple hundred bucks and some time, no big loss that way, im going with one battery for the rx and one for the ignition/smoker like on the futaba and forget all the hookups, but thanks again for the info
Old 02-28-2011, 08:06 PM
mauryr

okay I think i understand and i am being way to paranoid I think, I used to only use one switch/battery and everthing and never lost a plane due to the battery and switch, I think i just need to hook the darn thing up like I used to, one switch, battery, rx, etc. I am getting way to technical for a 500-600 dollar plane you can't stop murphy and thats what i think im trying to do. Its not like im riding in the thing or its 5000 dollar investment, thats why i like the smaller ones, if something goes wrong im out a couple hundred bucks and some time, no big loss that way, im going with one battery for the rx and one for the ignition/smoker like on the futaba and forget all the hookups, but thanks again for the info
Good call, I'd push for 2 switches though, that seems like a much more common point of failure than batteries. Also do the SPC thing, it's recommended by hitec allover this thread andmake sure the voltage doesn't dip when you wiggle the sticks hard so that you can be confident in your battery. Everything else is paranoia
Old 02-28-2011, 08:10 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: brenthampton79 Thanks for the advice guys, I think im going to try this sensor stuff out on my .40 extra first thats been a little worn and see how it works. Maury so whats the deal with the spc port? Could i just plug my battery in there instead of the 7th channel if i wanted to use it? Also what about plugging more than one battery into the rx, like two 1100 mah batts for redundancy. Is this okay or not?
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Installation RX & BODA Antenna FAQ, Volts & Range Test Results. {Regularily Updated with Q&A}

Optima Transceiver (RX) - SPC - SPC connection & Lead Detailed plus Optima Current Draw/Amps

Optima Transceiver (RX) - Dual or Multiple Batteries may be installed for redundancy, even one for each servo.

and much more under Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
(quick search = Ctrl+F)
Old 02-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Alan T. you are genuine "gift" to the RC World..!!
Old 03-01-2011, 03:41 AM
JIMF14D

The SPC port just powers the Rx to protect it from brownouts due to servo loads etc. You still have to power the servos via the RX battery channel.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:40 AM
brenthampton79

so if i understand alan's link is that if i only have one battery then the spc is pretty much useless because if i am loading the battery with the servo's then the spc port is also going to see the sag as well due to the fact its coming from the same power source, I am using Life batteries in my planes mostly and some nimh 5c batts, most of my plances are 40 size models, i have two 60 size and one 120 size plane. The 60 and 120 don't have the hitec in them yet , but if i go that route then I may go ahead and use a second life or lipo especially for the 120 airplane since it does use the hi torque standard servo's, which im guessing probaby is still not an issue for a plane that size especially with a life battery installed. and i agree alan you are a great asset to the hobby and thanks for the answers and reading material. I just wish my fuel sensor would work on my gas model figured that out last night its only good for glow, so i'll leave the futaba radio in that plane for now and put the telemtry on my 40 size extra glow, which is my second favorite plane
Old 03-01-2011, 05:33 AM
mauryr

so if i understand alan's link is that if i only have one battery then the spc is pretty much useless because if i am loading the battery with the servo's then the spc port is also going to see the sag as well due to the fact its coming from the same power source, I am using Life batteries in my planes mostly and some nimh 5c batts, most of my plances are 40 size models, i have two 60 size and one 120 size plane. The 60 and 120 don't have the hitec in them yet , but if i go that route then I may go ahead and use a second life or lipo especially for the 120 airplane since it does use the hi torque standard servo's, which im guessing probaby is still not an issue for a plane that size especially with a life battery installed. and i agree alan you are a great asset to the hobby and thanks for the answers and reading material. I just wish my fuel sensor would work on my gas model figured that out last night its only good for glow, so i'll leave the futaba radio in that plane for now and put the telemtry on my 40 size extra glow, which is my second favorite plane
You are correct: if you use a single battery, no matter if it's connected to the spc or not, when the voltage sags it will go down for the RX as well. The only advantage to using the spc in this case is you get to monitor the voltage on the TX. At this time I don't honestly remember if connecting the battery to the servo port will allow the rx to monitor its voltage, but I think not.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

The single biggest potential for a high resistance (and subsequent voltage drop) occurs at the connector and the switch. With a single battery connected to your receiver with only one connector you are limited to 4 amps max. If you have a single battery and it has two sets of leads then use two switches and connect one into the SPC and the other into the batt or any servo connection at the receiver. This could provide up to 8 amps. Is this necessary, perhaps not, but if you already have the two leads coming from the battery this is a good way to improve the power supply reliability. This would be especially true if you use Life batteries because of their high voltage, low internal impedance characteristics. Such a power supply system would be a huge step forward compared to a high internal impedance Nimh battery and one switch and one connector at the receiver. So, I would add that having only one battery does not render the SPC useless. Better reliability at almost the same cost.

Howard
Old 03-01-2011, 07:02 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

I don't believe the SPC port will provide power to any servos, so connecting one battery via two wires to the batt connector and the SPC connector won't enable 8 amps at the servos..

The SPC port powers ONLY the receiver, which is why you can use much higher voltage on that port.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 AM
mauryr

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

I don't believe the SPC port will provide power to any servos, so connecting one battery via two wires to the batt connector and the SPC connector won't enable 8 amps at the servos..

The SPC port powers ONLY the receiver, which is why you can use much higher voltage on that port.

In case anyone cares: the ground pin on the SPC side of the receiver is connected to the ground connectors on all of the servos so, in practice, you only need the red wire to power up the rx through SPC. Obviously not suggested though, as the connector with one less pin is more prone to getting loose and having one more wire provides additional reliability. The SPC line won't carry more than about 200 mAh or so, which is the optima's current draw (more precise figures somewhere else in this thread) so no, using the SPC won't double your effective current capacity. This is not a good excuse not to do the additional soldering to use it though

Old 03-01-2011, 09:17 AM
JGruener
My Feedback: (5)

Well I currently Use a 2C Lipo though a reg for power to my servos. And the TX will tell me the Regulated Voltage. I would Like to know the unregulated Voltage. So, Can I just Y the Batt and have one go the my reg, and the other go in to the SPC Port....Will The TX then only transmitt the SPC Voltage?
Old 03-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

I think you may have misread or just as likely I did not do a good job of explaining. I did not say that with two connections you could get 8 amps to the servos. However, you would be able to get 4 amps to the receiver and 4 amps to the servos versus a shared 4 amps if you do not use the SPC connection. The only cost is the additional switch and that buys you a pretty big increase in reliability.

Howard

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.