Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Boda antenna

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:19 PM
roboto65
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boda antenna

Ok so am I correct in reading that Mike cut the Boda off his 6 channel and shrink wrapped it? I need something light and do not want to wait to fly my new HLG so just checking before I go cutting the Boda off do not need a bunch of range since the bird is small but do not want to cut if it will mess the whole RX up.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:41 PM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Boda antenna

I've made two lightweight Optima 6 RXs for foamy use. I removed the case, replaced the BODA antenna and shrink-wrapped the RX. You can actually purchased a package of three wires with the correct plug on the end to replace the existing antenna so you don't have to chop up the original. I don't have the info with me right now, but if no one else replies before tomorrow evening, I can get you the antenna source and measurements used and add a picture of my conversion.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:15 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: roboto65 Ok so am I correct in reading that Mike cut the Boda off his 6 channel and shrink wrapped it? I need something light and do not want to wait to fly my new HLG so just checking before I go cutting the Boda off do not need a bunch of range since the bird is small but do not want to cut if it will mess the whole RX up.
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Conversion for Indoor and Park-Flyers
includes:
. 7 converted for small model usewith picture. Case removed they weigh just over 0.25oz. (8g/10g).
. lightweight modification - How to change antenna.
. Optima 2.4GHz Antenna - Pictures of Head and Socket together with details of fitting a shorter, lighter alternative for Park Flyers, Indoor etc..
. Optima 7 Indoors Hitec "Factory Pilot" Brandon Chitty uses the Optima 7 in his indoor competition aircraft (Fancy Foam Maxima) that weighs 8oz, as well as his 170CC DA powered 42% Aeroworks Yak, so the Optima RX's are very versatile.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 02-26-2011, 06:59 PM
roboto65

Here's a pic of the Optima 6 with the case removed and shrink wrapped. I also removed the booster which is made of brass to get the weight down further.

Did you cut it off or use a different antenna.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:16 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: roboto65 Here's a pic of the Optima 6 with the case removed and shrink wrapped. I also removed the booster which is made of brass to get the weight down further. Did you cut it off or use a different antenna.
"Basically, I just removed the booster and then stripped the sheathing so the antenna would then look like what Futaba and other use. - Mike"

Preferable not tocut theBODAantenna.
It is not easy to strip back the required amount of sheathing to expose a new wire "tip" of correct length
and besides, you may need the full BODA antenna later (not yet available off a retail shelf):
1. 2.4GHz Antenna can only be removed carefullyfrom RX boardand replaced upto max 5 times(type of cap at base of antenna)
2. 2.4GHz RX antenna, let aloneBODA antenna,are not cheap..
refer post #2
Optima - Pictures of Head and Socket together with details of fitting a shorter, lighter alternative for Park Flyers, Indoor etc..
http://www.mscomposit.com/electronic...r606-6014.html
Codes for search: R606-6014 or F1431
and
http://www.himodel.com/radios/150mm_...vers_2pcs.html

Alan T.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:46 AM
roboto65

Alright Alan better answer I will leave it for now someone in the USA needs to come out with a smaller antenna..
Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 AM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

I've used these antennas to lighten two different Optima 6 receivers and both work flawlessly. They have the Ultra Miniature Coaxial Plugs on both ends so you can simply (but carefully) unplug the stock BODA antenna and replace it with one of these. You basically cut one of the connectors off leaving something like a 6" antenna and then strip the outer sheath off about 1" of the tip. I can get you the exact measurements if you're interested. I replace the antenna and shrink-wrap the RX.

Digi-Key Part #: A36229-ND
[link]http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?lang=en&site=US&WT.z_homepage_link=hp_go_button&KeyWords=a36229-nd&x=0&y=0[/link]

I've only used these on foamies and they've been rock solid to the distance I can see/fly a foamy. I wouldn't recommend this modification for a full-range application.