Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Great Planes 25% Pitts M-12s 3D

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Great Planes 25% Pitts M-12s 3D

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:39 PM
weezle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes 25% Pitts M-12s 3D

high octane gas is actually less flammable than lower octane fuel. higher octane fuel is only more helpful in engines that run higher compression ratios and higher temps.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:30 AM
jmalone1982
My Feedback: (1)

Do you guys that are having problems hovering this plane ever check the static thrust of your power setup? Iuse a digital fish scale and tie off the plane to something solid. The reason I ask this is because a DA50r or DLE55 are reported to put out over 25lbs easily? Seeing as the plane only weighs in the 17 to 20lb range I see no reason that she should not hover.

One possible reason could be that not enough prop is extending beyond the threshold of th ecowling, she does have a rather fat face doesnt she? All things being equal say with a 23x8 how much prop is extending into open air?

I really want to buy this airplane, Logic tells me on a DlE55 it would fly great. I am at sea level and have been a two stroke tech professionally for thirteen years so You may say I know how to tune, so that wouldnt be a prob.

My 50 and 55 setups both make more than 31lb static thrust so tell me how a 18lb plane wont hover?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:07 AM
weezle

in the great planes promotional video it shows the plane hovering.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:18 AM
brwilkins
My Feedback: (4)

As I've said before, I'm running a NEW DA50 with a 22x8 break-in prop and it ALMOST hovers. My guess is that the video was shot with a broken-in DA and larger prop, so I wouldn't be surprised that it would hover if that's the case. However, based on the limited flying that I've done with giant-scale airplanes (this one is my third), TO ME it seems under-powered and likely will still feel a little under-powered even once the DA is broken in with a larger prop. A better choice, I think, would be the new DA60 if/when it comes out or perhaps an Evolution 58, etc. 19 pounds on a DA50 seems more toward the "scale" end of the spectrum than the "fun" end of the spectrum for my taste. I have a 30% Extra 260 that weighs 17 pounds and flies like a foamy on a DA50.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Michael lazzaro

Well I finally got to maiden my pitts today, and I am very impressed. In my opinion the DA-50 provides plenty of power...mine does hover with the DA-50. Got the final weight down to 17.6 pounds using all lithium Ion batteries for the radio and ignition, so that helped a lot. Tracks like an arrow, flies fast and extremely slow when making a landing, and my favorite it doesn't tip stall like most biplanes have a reputation of doing. I think GP did a superb job with this one. Can't wait to get some more flight time on her.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:42 PM
weezle

If I had my way with this bird, I would be getting a BME 58
Old 08-13-2010, 07:51 AM
brwilkins

ORIGINAL: Michael lazzaro

Well I finally got to maiden my pitts today, and I am very impressed. In my opinion the DA-50 provides plenty of power...mine does hover with the DA-50. Got the final weight down to 17.6 pounds using all lithium Ion batteries for the radio and ignition, so that helped a lot. Tracks like an arrow, flies fast and extremely slow when making a landing, and my favorite it doesn't tip stall like most biplanes have a reputation of doing. I think GP did a superb job with this one. Can't wait to get some more flight time on her.
Congrats on the maiden! Glad to hear you're liking the Pitts.

Mine is developing more power now that the motor is breaking in. It will hold a hover now, although I do still pretty much have to be at full throttle. I'm about a half gallon or so until it'll be ready for a larger prop (probably 23x8) and the switch to synthetic (I'm running RedLine and love it). I suspect mine will be a little more on par for my taste at that time. It draws some good attention at our flying field. People seem to really like the looks.

I did manage to break my Pitts, sadly. I had just pulled it out to our runway and was standing over the tail doing my final checks. When I went to step back over the tail to let her taxi out, I accidentally dumb-footed it and broke one side of the elevator. It broke loose where the elevator control horn is screwed in. Fortunately, it just separated it where the hardwood for the horn meets the balsa. I took the covering off of that area and used some medium CA on it. I'm going to have to order some monokote or trim tape to recover it, but thankfully it was an easy fix. I was worried that I had done more damage and since the stab isn't removable, that could have meant a whole fuse replacement. I'll definitely have to be more careful.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Wilki01

Well my Pitts is finally ready for some gas for break-in. Weighs in at 18.95 lbs with diferent wheels than the original. I opted for Dubro 5.50 air filled, reason is I fly off a full sized aircraft grass strip a little on the rough side. Friday night I will runs some gas through it and see how she runs. I have equiped the Pitts with a DLE 55, Xoar 22/8 prop for break-in, Hitec 5645 all the way around(used the Hitec Digital servo programmer for end points and centering). I am using the Rcexl Tach and optical kill. Ehaul Is a Bison Pitts muffler with smoke plug, but I won't be using smoke, for now. Excellent Arf, only the covering is poor. I have upgrade most of the hardware to Dubro heavy duty stuff and all the surface gaps are sealed. Tx is a JR 9303, RX Jr921 with 2 sat remotes may add one more after a test with the data logger. This is one big plane, sure surprised me once it was assembled. My last large scale plane was a H( 1/4 scale cub, this thing seems, bigger...I sure can't wait to fly it, I miss my other Bipe so this was a had to have thing, good thing I am single, a wife may have stopped me..lol I will post my results as soon a I get it up and running with more pictures..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34369.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	1490816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74846.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	1490817  
Old 08-26-2010, 09:15 PM
brwilkins

ORIGINAL: Wilki01

Well my Pitts is finally ready for some gas for break-in. Weighs in at 18.95 lbs with diferent wheels than the original. I opted for Dubro 5.50 air filled, reason is I fly off a full sized aircraft grass strip a little on the rough side. Friday night I will runs some gas through it and see how she runs. I have equiped the Pitts with a DLE 55, Xoar 22/8 prop for break-in, Hitec 5645 all the way around(used the Hitec Digital servo programmer for end points and centering). I am using the Rcexl Tach and optical kill. Ehaul Is a Bison Pitts muffler with smoke plug, but I won't be using smoke, for now. Excellent Arf, only the covering is poor. I have upgrade most of the hardware to Dubro heavy duty stuff and all the surface gaps are sealed. Tx is a JR 9303, RX Jr921 with 2 sat remotes may add one more after a test with the data logger. This is one big plane, sure surprised me once it was assembled. My last large scale plane was a H( 1/4 scale cub, this thing seems, bigger...I sure can't wait to fly it, I miss my other Bipe so this was a had to have thing, good thing I am single, a wife may have stopped me..lol I will post my results as soon a I get it up and running with more pictures..

Looking good! I have to say though, I think you should go ahead and add the smoke. Sure there's a little more weight, but doesn't this plane just beg for smoke? LOL!! I think I may have to add it to mine as well.

Best of luck on your maiden. Don't step on the elevator and break it like I did mine. I've got mine back together now and all is well. My DA50 is just about finished with break-in and yes, it will actually hover now (all 19 pounds of her) and she'll even pull up out of the hover (though it's certainly not ballistic).
Old 12-17-2010, 08:54 PM
kochj

brwilkins,
Have you ever tried a pipe or tunned cannister?
Would there be room on this bird to make one?

A Escomposite pipe wouldn't add any weight, and give some added power to the equation...

Also.....
You could get rid of 2-servos and join the ailerons up??
Unless you like to do the "crab" ...

Bodyworks did this with his Great planes Ultimate, and it really helped reduce the weight....

Any thoughts??
Old 12-19-2010, 06:05 PM
kochj

The price is very nice right now on this plane from Tower...

545$ shipped.
and a 50$ certificate..

525$
-60$ tower member
-50$ product cetificate
415$ prior to shipping is VERY GOOD price on this one!

80$ for shipping....
Old 02-13-2011, 03:02 PM
stanordave

Kinda quiet in this thread! Just started putting mine together. Got it to replace my Ulimate 1.60 which went in - do miss the quick turn bolts for the struts! Tail feathers are on. About ready to start ironing wrinkles - that outta kill a day of building. Just about ready to put the DLE-55 in. Maybe ready by next weekend?
Old 02-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Wilki01

I finished mine in the fall, it has been sitting here waiting all winter. I put the DLE 55 in mine as well, I cannot wait to get it in the air, it was the most time consuming Arf to build ever for me. 20 years in theis hobby and most of my kits didn't take this long, but I made quite a few mods and hardware updates. As soon as this winter goes away, hopefully before september, I will get to fly. Back to the subject, I installed the Bison Pitts muffler in mine, fits perfect. Other than wrinkles in the covering the build was great.

Wilki
Old 02-14-2011, 11:29 PM
stanordave

Anybody have a CG location w/the wings off? Getting ready to put the radio gear in and wanted to get a rough location wo/assemblying it..

[edit] its about 2 1/4" in front of the rear cabane screw..
Old 02-16-2011, 05:41 PM
stanordave

all set! Just waiting on the wind..

Name:	Hf98754.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1565095  
Old 02-22-2011, 11:46 AM
stanordave

It flies!

Wind lightened up so...off to the field. Thought I'd be alone but it must be retiree day. 3 others were there.

Setup a bit slow as its was the first time at the field and needed to charge up the new A123 packs but finally ready to go. Using a DLE-55 w/22x8. Plane looked great. Super ground handling. Wind was mostly steady at 8mph w/an occasional gust to 15. TO: did a slow throttle advance to see if it was going to track straight and was airborne before 1/2 throttle in about 10'. Just a few clicks here and there to straighten things up. Flies GREAT! Much better than my GP Ultimate 1.60, better roll, better tracking and WAAAY less coupling. Almost no coupling to speak of. Did a knife edge loop about 2 minutes in and just had to play w/the elevator a bit and a touch of aileron. Did a blender to check integrity and...no problem at all. Flew basic acro and lots of snaps, etc. After 8 minutes decided to come in and check things over and...problem. Intentionally tried to land right on the stall, was about 5" up (Honest! I have witnesses!) and came down on the left gear first at not much groundspeed. All of us saw the gear bend back about 20º and pieces come loose. Turns out the LG plate ripped out. Minimal glue in that area didn't help much. So back to the shop.

This plane really does fly well.

cheers,

Mike
Old 02-22-2011, 08:34 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

I am in the market, waiting for more flights, I would have worked the gear (mount) over on the bench before flying..
You suffer any other damage? gear tears suck...

Old 02-22-2011, 09:00 PM
stanordave

gear is fine. just the plywood where its attached ripped.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:50 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: stanordave

gear is fine. just the plywood where its attached ripped.
As you noticed the gear attachment area is weak. My M-12 has been victim of this as well, including failure of the original gear itself.

Were I fly the prevailing wind is typically 10-15mph SSE and the runway runs N-S so cross-wind landings are the rule.

I replaced the LG with 6061-T6 gear and modified the gear attachment area to include a solid 1/4" plate. The weight gain is 110gram but this aircraft still flies light. The DLE-55 yanks it through the air with authority. Hovering is easy and this plane does the blender and tumbling maneuvers with ease.

My friend Scott has had stick time on mine and he liked it so much he bought one as well. I noticed one change between mine and his. The canopy on mine is clear and about as sturdy as a plastic soda bottle. His canopy is smoky and a lot stiffer.

We went flying yesterday even though it was overcast and visibility was iffy. The other aircraft in the pic is a 37% Ultimate.

See my M-12 page here: http://bliksemseplek.com/m12.html

(Fixed typo)

Name:	Ge95888.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1568583  
Old 02-23-2011, 09:54 AM
stanordave

off to see your site...

my canopy is smoky and appears relatively stiff.

Hoping my quick fix to the gear works else I will have to cut into it and install a plate as you have. It appears they used two layers of a soft ply to make up the gear plate. Drizling som thin CA onto the end before I put it together may have prevented it tearing but...c'est la vie.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:06 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

You are correct regarding the make-up of the plate - 2 layers of very soft ply glued together. The design in this area is also weak as the mounting area is a cantilever design with the outer 2 bolts are outside of the frame and the inner bolt on the inside. Additionally that the gear is 2 parts does not help as load is not spread through the area as it would be if the gear was 1 piece.

What we have done with Scott's M-12 is to poke small holes through the 2 laminated ply pieces and wicked in thin CA to bond them together. Additional CA was also run in around all the surrounding joints. We have also made a plate from 1/8" 6061-T6 that sandwiches across the 2 gear pieces. This will help to spread the load across the complete mounting area. His gear is not the stock GRP but 3/16" aluminum as on mine. This plane should be maidened this weekend so soon we will know if the gear will stand up to the abuse of many cross-wind landings on grass.

Bliksem
Old 03-01-2011, 11:42 AM
kochj

great to hear it flies better all the time
Old 03-03-2011, 06:01 AM
Saito_56
My Feedback: (17)

Just found this thread, and mine is almost done. Getting ready to cut the cowl, my least favorite part. But Measure 10 times, and cut once!

Name:	Ay74839.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1572600  
Old 03-03-2011, 06:07 AM
Wilki01

Here's some pictures of mine, if this helps.

Name:	fd92864.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	1572603   Click image for larger version

Name:	rm38607.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	1572604   Click image for larger version

Name:	io28834.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	1572605  
Old 03-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Saito_56
My Feedback: (17)

Thanks for the pictures, You said your running a Bison pitts, what engine are you running? I am using a DA50 and a slimline Pitts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.