Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hitec HG-5000 gyro drifts

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:27 AM
fickjr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec HG-5000 gyro drifts

I have the subject gyro on a Blade 400 helicopter. When I put it into heading hold it goes full stroke on the tail rotor servo. Is the unit defective?
Old 03-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Brendan Lugo

Default RE: Hitec HG-5000 gyro drifts

Does it not do this in rate mode? If not then I dont think it's defective, but rather not set up properly. Watch "Finless Bobs" setup of that gyro on helifreaks and set it up that way. If it is still drifting then also try this auto calibration procedure.

HG-5000 undocumented self calibration procedure

If the gyro drifts, try this procedure. This procedure will not affect your settings programmed so this can be done at any time.

1) Turn on your transmitter.
2) Press and hold the menu button while powering up the gyro. Wait for all eight LED’s to light up (this can take a couple seconds) and then release the menu button.
3) DO NOT TOUCH THE GYRO while it goes through its auto calibration process. This will take several minutes. The gyro will cycle through all eight LED’s slowly at first and then fast at he end until all eight LED’s are flickering at the same time.
4) Turn off power to the gyro.
5) Calibration is now complete.

If using a Spectrum radio follow this procedure to let the gyro "learn" your radio. This procedure would need to be done because the Spectrum system does not always connect to the receiver right away and so this procedure will let the Tx and Rx connect before the gyro initializes.

DX7 Calibrate with 2100/5000
Some have had trouble getting the DX7 to properly calibrate with the HG-5000. Here are the steps that have been discussed on RCG.

1. All power off
2. Unplug servo from gyro
3 Unplug gyro from Rx
4. Keep gyro gain plugged in to Rx
5. Power up Tx and Rx
6. Wait for Rx to initialize
7. Full left rudder on Tx
8. Plug gyro into Rx rudder channel
9. When it finishes "the dance" you should be on the 3rd light
Old 03-04-2011, 11:39 AM
fickjr

Thanks for your prompt reply. It only drifts in heading mode. I use a Futaba T10CAP transmitter. As I increase the gyro gain in heading more (on the bench with the motor wires diconnected), the drift is faster. I have watched the videos that you suggested. It is just that I can't grasp the concepts too well. There are two things I must correct. Friends tell me that I have a bent main shaft. Secondly, my tail rotor servo is not 90 degrees. I will have to correct these problems. It is going to be awhile before I can get these mods done but I hope to get back to you with tails of success. Thanks so much for the undocumented procedures. The programing guide I got when I purchased the gyro says that when setting the travel limits, you go for extreme left until the travel hits the stop then press the button, and do the same for extreme right. But in Finless Bob's video, he pressed the button once he returns the rudder to center as well. I am also confused by the video when he says that he can modulate pirouette rate by adusting the end points on the rudder servo. Yet this is done on step 12 where the rotate rate is set.

Thanks again,

Chuck
Old 03-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Brendan Lugo

On setting the servo limit you need to hold the rudder stick to the left just to where the tail starts to bind and press the button, then do the same for the right side. In Bobs video I think he took to long and was kicked out of the programming mode so had to go back in forst and then do the above procedure. Piro rate can be controlled by the rotate rate on the gyro as well as the epa in your transmitter for the rudder.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Led

Hi,

I've got the Hitec hg-500 gyro and it drifts only in hh mode. As I see, it has to be self calibrated. There's one problem, I got the 4,5-5,5V operating voltage gyro (seems to be the old version) instead of 4,5-6,0V (seems to be the new version. I heard that if I tried to self calibrate tohe oldest version, I could destroy it. What should I do as it's working properly in normal mode and drifts slowly in hh mode? Mechanically everything is ok.

Please help me,

Andy
Old 03-21-2011, 07:03 AM
Brendan Lugo

All of our specs show input voltage of 4.5 - 5.5 volts for the gyro. I dont show a 6 volt rating for the gyro and have never heard you can damage it by doing the auto calibration. Where did you hear this information at?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Led

I was looking for some information how to calibrate my gyro. Firstly I found one about logictech 2100t gyro http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=103918 In the second post, there in information about it. It's my fault that I thought it is the same with Hitec gyro.
Thanks a lot!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:24 AM
fickjr

Hi Brandon: Well, I finally got around to working on the gyro and I tried to calibrate it per your instructions given above. Unfortunately, my gyro drives the tail rotor full stroke. Just wondering, can I send it back to the shop for repair? Or is it ruined beyond repair? Thanks for your help.

Chuck