Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:53 AM
meanrc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

ORIGINAL: Radimani

We tried to check if only one disturbing transmitter is enough to cause the phenomenon.
Here comes the result. Please note that the undesired transmitter is in ''Power Down Mode''
thus the RF power from the undesired is quite lower than the desired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdP5Uxzy1XY
I have noticed that your controlling transmitter's antenna is pointing directly at the receiver. could this be the problem. the weakest signal is off the tip. Try your test with antenna at the recommended 90 degrees to the receiver ant. May have differnt results????
Just a thought For I have not been able to duplicate your results.

Jk
Old 02-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Radimani

We tried to check if only one disturbing transmitter is enough to cause the phenomenon.
Here comes the result. Please note that the undesired transmitter is in ''Power Down Mode''
thus the RF power from the undesired is quite lower than the desired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdP5Uxzy1XY
So are you saying that the interfering transmitter MUST be in powerdown mode to create the problem in the video?

It seems like if the problem can occur when the interfering transmitter is operating at reduced power, then the problem should also occur when the interfering transmitter is operating at normal power.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:53 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

straight away, I know its BS.

I've waste enought ime on this. conducted the test yesterday with 5 futaba TX's in both 7channel and Multi modes. I still cannot replicate the results.

and now you say the Tx's must be in power down mode....? What next  must I also hop up and down on one leg while rubbing my tummy and patting my head while singing the Russian national anthem?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:57 AM
Radimani

The power down mode is not necessary. The direction of transmitter's antenna is not matter since both receivers are placed at almost same position.
But the multi channel mode is absolutely necessary for this test, I believe.
Anyhow, I believe that somebody can duplicate the issue since the phenomenon is the fact.
Also, I won't troll this issue unless somebody raise the topic again.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Dave McDonald

I just got done running Radimani's last test, except the interfering transmitter was allowed to run at full power.

TEST EQUIPMENT:
Both transmitters are 12FG FASST operating in multi mode, and at normal power output.
The HK OrangeRx FASST FrSky TFR8 was mounted in a plane, with all servos plugged in.
The interfering 12FG FASST was placed about a foot from the TFR8 receiver.
A Futaba 6014FS receiver that is bound to the plane's transmitter was placed about a foot away from the interfering transmitter, with one servo plugged in.
The bound 12FG FASST was about 2 feet away from the two receivers during the test.

TEST RESULTS:
About 1 out of 10 times after turning off the tx and then turning it back on, the TFR8 would not respond while the 6014FS worked normally. But within 30 seconds, the TFR8 always began working normally again all by itself. It never locked out permanently.

More than half the time after turning the tx back on, the TFR8 receiver regained control before the 6014FS receiver.

One time the TFR8 receiver regained control, and the 6014FS receiver remained locked out. After waiting over 2 minutes for the Futaba 6014FS receiver to respond, I gave up. This only happened once, and I was never able to repeat this failure a second time.

CONCLUSION:
To be honest, I'm not sure what this test really proves since both the FrSky TFR8 and the Futaba 6014FS receivers suffered lockouts. The FrSky TFR8 locked out more often, but it always regained control within 30 seconds. The Futaba 6014FS was slower to regain control more than half the time. It also locked out one time for more than 2 minutes without regaining control.

So are these test results an indication of a real problem with FASST multi mode? Or are they just a quirk that will never be noticed in the real world? I wish I knew the answer to those questions, but I don't.

All I really know is that my FrSky TFR8 FASST receivers have been working perfectly so far in the air where it really counts. And I've never heard of one causing a crash yet. I wish I could say that about my Spektrum radio.......but I can't.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:39 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is not a reply...Just a STATEMENT:
I see on the news CHINA is not treating there people well now. I for one am NOT going to buy any more China made items. It is far more important to treat people right than it is to own many items a person really does not need. There are many people buying cheap...just so they can own more RC items. Most of you have enough of this stuff to fool around with for many months. Please try to only buy what you need untill the CHINA leaders steart treating ther people better. I would like a new DLE20...but I can get along without it. I am sure many of you RC fans can get along with out buying any more China made item for quite a while. Look for quality made items right here in the USA is another good idea. We need more jobs....less junk setting around collecting dust. Thie will be cut & pasted on other forums too. Capt,n
Old 02-28-2011, 09:20 PM
steelerscotty

Hi I ordered two fasst receiver's from hobby king and got them 40 days later ugh! any way both binded in a matter of seconds and all was well with them.I have only flown a small electric with one of them and it range checked fine and flew fine for me. No lose of signal what so ever! I flew it for two batteries worth of time so at least twenty minutes easy. I have yet to move it to anything bigger until I have at least 10 flights on both of them but so far so good! My friend says you have to program them for etheir analog or digital but that hasn't effected me during flying so who knows? they come with no instructions and the only thing I can ***** about was the sticker that shows your channels was off by one on both of them and it was a matter of removing the sticker and placing it in the right place. I hope this helps you with your decision on buying these,I totally recommend them and you can get them for as low as 20 bucks enjoy! and happy flying!
Scott
Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 PM
iforbes
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: steelerscotty

Hi I ordered two fasst receiver's from hobby king and got them 40 days later ugh! any way both binded in a matter of seconds and all was well with them.I have only flown a small electric with one of them and it range checked fine and flew fine for me. No lose of signal what so ever! I flew it for two batteries worth of time so at least twenty minutes easy. I have yet to move it to anything bigger until I have at least 10 flights on both of them but so far so good! My friend says you have to program them for etheir analog or digital but that hasn't effected me during flying so who knows? they come with no instructions and the only thing I can ***** about was the sticker that shows your channels was off by one on both of them and it was a matter of removing the sticker and placing it in the right place. I hope this helps you with your decision on buying these,I totally recommend them and you can get them for as low as 20 bucks enjoy! and happy flying!
Scott
Scott,

How did you get them for $20? I got mine at $29.99.

Thx,
Ian

Old 02-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Dave McDonald

ORIGINAL: steelerscotty

My friend says you have to program them for etheir analog or digital but that hasn't effected me during flying so who knows?
The Hobby King OrangeRx FASST receivers come from the factory in the high speed mode for digital servos. Running analog servos in the high speed mode has a real risk of frying the electronics in the servo.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:03 PM
steelerscotty

Ian Hi what's up? the way I got those for twenty bucks was if you pull up something you want to buy on hobbyking and let the page sit there for a short while and soon you will see hobbyking throw a box out in the corner saying "Ive been noticing you have been looking at this item for awhile" and if you buy now we will give it to you at this price but only a one time deal and if you close that box the offer is gone for good. and when they did that it was for 19.99 and you had a option to buy up to 10 of them.
So I hope this helps
Scott
Old 03-05-2011, 08:28 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got three of the OrangeRXs. ordered them Feb. 12th, got here about March 2. Not bad. They linked up to my 8FG just fine. At least they did after I read the instructions about holding the link button down as you apply voltage to the Rx .

I don't intend to use them in anything other than 40 size ARFs or park fliers.

Brian
Old 03-05-2011, 03:54 PM
steelerscotty

Brian,Hey those come factory set in high mode for digital servo's. So if you want to switch them for analog servo's you have to put power to the receiver and hold down the bind button for about 8 seconds and the red light that is blinking fast will now blink slow indicating it's in analog mode. P.S make sure the transmitter is off when you do this. Just went flying today and it's the fourth flight on these receiver's and so far I'm impressed they havent had one glitch or mistake at all, not once. and I'm flying with the 6ex,how's that new 8 channel radio they came out with working? lots of bells and whistles? happy flying
Old 03-05-2011, 07:48 PM
aghost

I picked up on the High Speed and Low Speed stuff. Got mine set to use analog servos. I was able to bind the receivers to the 8fg in either the Multi or the 7ch mode without any problem. I just installed the new 8fg update. I'll try binding the servos using the Multi2 mode soon and hooking two receivers into a 14 channel configuration.

thanks for the "heads up" anyway.

Brian
Old 03-07-2011, 05:47 AM
aghost

Update to the above post. The Rx's bound in the 8fg in the Multi2 mode just fine. I could not get the Rx's to work in the 14 channel configuration though. Either I am not doing something right (but the steps are simple) or my Rx's are all the TFR8 model not the TFR8S. Is there a way to tell them apart?

Brian
Old 03-07-2011, 04:44 PM
steelerscotty

Brain I have no idea how to tell them apart,but it's nice to know you can pair them together. Is there anyway you could send me those instructions that came with your receiver's? mine came with none. If you could great if not that's fine to. Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:54 PM
aghost

You can download the pdf files from the frsky_rc site. here's a link to the TF group

http://www.frsky-rc.com/download.asp?id=23

If you cannot get them for some reason let me know.

Brian

Edit: I just noticed there is an upgrade file on the frsky site to get a 8S. Looks a little more complicated than I want to try.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:26 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TFR-8 has white decal and the TFR-8S has a black decal
Old 03-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

I see there is a firmware upgrade for the TFR8 aka Hobbyking Orange receiver. Does anyone have a clue as to what it is suppose to do??
No guesses please. It looks like you would have to buy their interface to perform the upgrade.
http://www.frsky-rc.com/download.asp?id=23
Old 03-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: jaygee

Here in New Zealand my flying buddy and I have been using FrSkyTF 8 channel receivers with complete success using Futaba CAP 10 with TM 10 module transmitters. The receivers were purchased from Himodel in mainland China. We are often airborn at the same time and at extreme range. The present production are plastic cased not shrink wrapped. For those who want more than 8 channels, a second receiver can be linked to provide 14 channels. I am a retired avionics engineer and cannot fault the quality of construction. I understand the resistance to buying Asian goods, but where do you draw the line? Check out rcmodelreview where this receiver was given a comprehensive testing and comparison.

First, where can I find the information on linking two of the orange RX's as you describe to get more than 8 Ch?

Second item. I just received the two of them to give a try. They came with a nice Orange case. The problem though is that you can't use Futaba plugs as there are no key for the tabs. OK, I say to myself, I'll just cut the tab slots. I get out my magnifying visor and start to mark the tab slots. Well it turn out that the case swoops down and I will have to cut the outside of the case for CH 1,2, &3. The others, I can get by with just cutting the flange for the tabs. Seems that if they were producing a FASST Rx, it should accept Futaba Servos. Ichecked with JRservos and they plug in OK.

Don
Old 03-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Received two several days ago and they have the Futaba plug notches.

I believe they make a Spektrum compatible Rx so that may explain the different case top.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73024.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1579747  
Old 03-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Campgems

Thanks for the Info. Ijust spent the last half hour cutting notches in one case. Ithink I'll contact them and ask for replacement tops.

Don

PS. I found the instructions on ganging up two RX for 14 channels. Neet.

Don
Old 03-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Tom in Cincy

ORIGINAL: Campgems

PS. I found the instructions on ganging up two RX for 14 channels. Neet.

Don
The Hobbyking FASST receivers are the FRSKY TFR8. Two of these will not make a 14 channel receiver. Thee upper channel receiver must be a TFR8S. The TFR8 is $10 cheaper than the TFR8S and is not sold at HK. I have told HK about the error and wrote a HK review about their false advertising which they deleted. Its still a good receiver and I have 5 of them but only on the TFR8S will the jumper do anything.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Campgems

Thanks for the info. I'm finding the HKsite sadly lacking in basic information, or at least a way to find it.

Have you ran across any servo issues with your Oranges? Iordered some MG995 servos off Ebay and they came today. I had heard after ordering them that they sometimes had a problem centering and would dance around. Well I first hooked them up to a ppm, and a PCM RXs and while they were a bit rough feeling, the centering issue didn't crop up. Ithen hooked them up to an Orange Fasst and all hell broke loose. five of the six were clattering around the bench. Ihad a volt watch on to watch the current draw and it was flashing down into the red. The first attempt was set with the TX, a 10C , on 10ch mode. When I went to 7 ch and rebound the orange, it settled down a little, only two were clattering now. Just wondering if you had run across that problem

Don
Old 03-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Tom in Cincy

No the HK FASST receivers have performed well. But understand they are pretty new and our flying season has barely begun. Time will be the true test.

I had some early Tower Pro MG servos and they were nasty. Overshoot, poor centering , and created so much electrical noise it interfered with the radio. However what you are most likely seeing in the effect of the high speed output mode of the HK receiver. It unfortunately is the default setting of the receiver and has blown out many analog servos. You need to check it and get it reset for "normal" mode.

Per the Website.

3. How to switch between two PPM modes (high speed / normal)
Turn the transmitter off, connect the battery to the receiver, press the F/S button of receiver for 6 seconds and then release. The red LED will flash fast in HS Mode and slow in FS Mode.
Warning: HS Mode is only applied for high-speed digital servos. Other servos should select FS Mode, otherwise servos will get heat or even burn out.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Both of my receivers arrived in normal mode. That was the first thing I checked.

Not all digital servos are high speed so using normal mode is probably wise. Servo speed and deadband width is probably the biggest factor in how the servo operates.

Personally I consider servos rated at .13 sec (or lower) at 4.8v high speed. 6.0v speeds should not be considered as the higher speed there is the result of higher voltage.

Campgems servos are probably not fast enough thus the chatter. Switching to 7ch mode changes the data frame so this is why they settled down. Probably work fine in normal (FS) mode.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.