Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Nose dropping won't stop

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Nose dropping won't stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:49 AM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Nose dropping won't stop

I use Realflight 5.5. All my models have a tendency the drop their noses way faster than a real model.
I have re-calibrated my sim many times.
What can I do to fix that? I am learning to fly and this is creating a bad habit of holding the nose up all the time during landing which is not good when I fly the real model.

Thanks,

Old 03-01-2011, 09:42 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Nose dropping won't stop

modify the plane you fly with more wing incidence or move the Center of gravity to the rear.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:26 PM
ocelot31454

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pe Reivers has a point however it depends on "How High Up" you have to keep the nose. You can't land whit the nose down or level on any aircraft, sim, model or real plane. Nose attitude helps control air speed on landing. Too high and you lose airspeed, too low and you can land too fast, drop like a rock from the lost airspeed and or tear up you prop. Flaps create more lift to compensate for reduction in airspeed allowing you to keep the nose lower. But if you don't have flaps you need to keep the nose higher than normal.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 AM
johndou

Do you have the trim set properly? Your plane should fly straight and level (hands off) at about 3/4 throttle. The trim will need to be set for each airplane (or heli) you fly. If you have to hold up elevator (or down) to get your plane to fly straight and level at 3/4 throttle, then you need to adjust the trim.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:13 AM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I trim my planes on the sim. And they go straight and level even at less than 75%.
Once you cut the power to start a descent while turning, this is when the nose drops tremendously.
This is normal on a sim, model or real plane, however, the difference between how my model's nose drop and how it happens in the sim is huge. All the models on the sim drop their noses really bad immediately after I cut the power. So, I have to hold a lot on the elevator while descending which cause balooning at the last minute.
Changing the parameters on each plane has caused the planes to act even worst. So, I stopped changing the parameters.

Thanks anyway

Old 03-03-2011, 10:59 AM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what is meant by trimming. If whatever is a problem you must do what it takes to overcome it. This will vary with every plane and doesn't matter whether its the plane or the sim it has to be trimmed by you. Perhaps you are banking too steeply? Or reducing throttle too much.To learn all of the varied things that are required takes years of trial and error. These forums are great but it's you that has to obtain experience to recognise and combat the problems.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:39 PM
ocelot31454

After reading all the preasent posts, I am wondering if perhaps the problem is in the sim program itself. Ocom's razor says it quite well, "the simplest explanation is most likely the correct one". If you've checked and re-checked everything else and can't find a fault, the only thing left would be the sim program itself or program compatibility with the computer it's being run on.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:48 AM
johndou

I think if this was a sim issue that more people would be having the problem. RealFlight G5.5 is one of the more popular (and expensive) sims available, so I find it difficult to believe that the sim itself is causing the issue.

Most planes require a little power during the landing approach. A steep bank requires more power to to maintain level flight then flying straight and level. The size, pitch and speed of the prop can cause flight speed to drop drastically when power is cut. All of these factors (and probably more) are responsible for what you're seeing.

The nose of your plane is dropping because you're not maintaining enough airspeed for the manuever you're making. The plane in the sim will not fly exactly like the model. Each and every model will fly differently as well. To be able to "adjust" the sim to fly exactly like your model you'll need to understand all of the factors acting on the model - lift, drag, etc. Then you'll need to understand how to adjust each of those parameters in the program of the sim. Even after making all of the necassary adjustments the sim and your model will still have some differences. Fortunately, RealFlight is one of those sims that allows you to make the adjustments. Unfortunately, you'll need to gain quite a bit of experience and knowledge to be able to make those adjustments in RealFlight. Good luck.

By the way, holding a certain amount of up elevator (to keep the nose up) is a normal condition for landing. Your goal is to slow the plane close to stall prior to touchdown.