Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

2011 Silver Palm Contest, Miami D3

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

2011 Silver Palm Contest, Miami D3

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Balsawings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Silver Palm Contest, Miami D3

THE DATES HAVE CHANGED, MARCH 19 & 20, 2011

The reason for the change..........

Guys, the local electric company was working on the High Voltage lines West of our field and managed to start a brush fire. The field was down wind of the fire and in less than 10 minutes, 75% of the grass on both runways was turned to char. The North/South runway has no grass and the East/West lost 50% of its grass.

I will ask no pilot to take a chance of getting ash sucked into a carb. Plus, at this time you cannot walk anywhere near the runways without turning your shoes and pants black. I'm sure a plane would look the same in no time if taxied on the runway.

Last years contest was plegged with high winds do to an approaching cold front from the North. Moving the event to March should give us a better chance of good weather.

The New Dates are: March 19 & 20, 2011. The field will be open for practice on Friday. If you want to come earlier than Friday, let me know and we'll make arrangements to have the field available.

Please use the Pre-registration Ken has set up on the NSRCA web site under District 3.

https://sites.google.com/site/nsrcad...t-registration

If you plan to attend but aren't sure if you can make it, pre-register anyway. It's easier for me to deactivate you from the contest than to load all your info the day of the event.

Entry Fee: $25
Four rounds Saturday, two rounds Sunday. All classes through FAI.
Concessions on site: Breakfast and Lunch available both days. Expect something special. The ladies are doing the cooking this year.
Camping available: no hook-ups

Any questions can be forwarded to me by replying to this post, PM here on RCU, E-mail [email protected] or give me a call at (305) 218-2254.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Balsawings

Default RE: 2011 Silver Palm Contest, Miami D3

Just a quick note for those of you flying electrics. We have two generators for power (6000 watt and 5000 watt). They both feed power to battery backup units for smooth power delivery to our sound system and the charging station.

We had three electric planes attend last year and there was no problem with power requirements for the chargers.

Bob
Old 01-04-2011, 06:11 AM
Balsawings

This is what our field looked like the day after the fire (see pic below). The grass is recovering better than I had hoped and I think the runways will look good come March. I'm headed out now to do maintainance on the runways and irrigation. I'll probably spread fertilizer later this week.

Only the best for you guys.

Bob Cox
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85362.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	1542179  
Old 01-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Hokie Flyer

that was one big fire!  Talk about scorched earth! 

Two or three of us from the Eglin club might be able to make it down.  I hope we can, your field looks like a great place to fly.

Rob
Old 01-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Balsawings

Rob,

I hope you can make it. I think you'll like flying here. It's wide open with permenant box poles. Runways are 75' x 550' with Bermuda grass cut to 1 inch.

One positive about the fire, if a plane goes down, there is no problem finding it. The fire department set a few fires to help burn off the rest of the bunch grass. This way they shouldn't have to worry about any more fires for several months. I'm not sure but the area around our field is about 100 acres. Burnt was close to 50% of that. It just happen to be the portion we normally fly over.

We will be using the East/West runway (the runway running horizontally across the picture). If the wind is too strong out of the North or South, we can fly from the North/South runway. It's the perfect setup. We did use the North/South runway on Sunday last year.

Bob
Old 01-06-2011, 04:53 AM
jim woodward

Hi Bob,

Sorry to see the field fire! I was able to fly a few days there jus prior to the fire. I'll see you in March though!
Jim
Old 03-03-2011, 06:49 AM
NeilRivera

Hi guys, I am wondering who else is going to Miami as the contest date is getting closer ....so far I see only four or five of us that have registered on D3's website. We have a couple of weeks and I need to arrange for time off work and hotel reservations but with only 5 of us on the roster I have my doubdts about attending...
Old 03-07-2011, 06:29 AM
Balsawings

Neil,

It's not easy for me to accept, but it's just a fact that most pattern pilots do not like to pre-register for a contest. I've asked and pleaded for the pilots to pre-register for our contest but they just don't do it.

Our club will provide the venue and I'll supply the leg work to run the contest. Those who show up will have a two days of pattern fun while those who don't, won't.

For more info on the contest, check the flyer below or go to: amps-rc.com

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Us53672.pdf (243.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-18-2011, 04:02 PM
NeilRivera

Guys, sorry that I won't be able to make it this weekend. I will miss being there, have fun and keep us posted !