Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Cat P-100 Flown ( feedback and photos)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Cat P-100 Flown ( feedback and photos)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Jet Cat P-100 Flown ( feedback and photos)

For those of you not following the goings on at Florida jets this past weekend. I was lucky enough to be asked to fly the new and much anticipated P-100 turbine from Jet cat. I for one am really looking forward to this turbine. It's size and relatively high power output ( in relation to its size and weight) make it an ideal candidate for quite a few planes out there. Especially those that were maybe a bit small for a P-80, but slightly too large for a P60 or P-70 to make them shine.
As well as the size and power, there are a number of new features for a Jet Cat turbine. Most of these stem around the all new and much smaller V10 ECU. Some of the things that I really liked, based on first impressions from a modellers viewpoint were.
In built solenoids, now incorporated into the front casing of the turbine. Thus making installs much cleaner, quicker and space consuming.
In built temp sensor. Tidies up the outside of the turbine, and self contains what was always a venerable part.

Now some people had expressed concern that having these two components inbuilt might create a headache if they were to fail. Just as with the inbuilt kero burners in the SX range of turbines, it was thought that the turbine would be required to go back to the factory, or service centre in order to be made useable again. As a modeller I can understand how this could be an inconvenience. The good news is that I spoke in length with the designer of the turbine, and the owner of Jet Cat turbines ( Markus Zipperer) before and after I flew the 100 and he assured me that both solenoid and temp sensors would be user changeable ( in the field if so desired) Of course it would require the turbine to be removed from the airframe, but there would be no need for the turbine to be shipped to a repair agent.

I like the idea of one fuel line and one power cable to the turbine. I do like my models to look neat internally, and cutting down on the amount of cables and tubes that need routing from the front of the model back to the engine bay, will be most welcome.

I also really like the idea that the ECU is now fool proof in the way it is hooked up. I know it's not rocket science, but I still see it often ( and have done it myself) where people hook up the electrical connectors to the ECU the wrong way round, or in the wrong sockets. A simple thing, that just makes installing a turbine that little easier.

Now these, I am sure. Are just a few of the great features, of what I am confident will be a great turbine. I am sure Markus explained a load more, but a combo of Sun burn and beer played havoc on my little brain I merely cherry picked those aspects that I remember thinking.... "now thats cool. I like that idea"
It's great to see a company that is without a doubt the market leader, moving forward and developing their product. I guess it would be much easier to sit back and have an easy life watching their current range of turbines sell across the world. The fact they develop cool new turbines such as this, the P20 etc etc makes my enjoyment of this wonderful hobby that bit better.

Flight wise. The P-100 was fitted to a Tam Jets A-4. A model that I have already had plenty of stick time on. I have owned examples powered by a P-60 and P-70 and edf.
The P-60 was my favoured choice. Although down on power over the P-70, I found the faster spool up to be a big advantage. However, it did get a little frustrating flying around on what seemed like constant full power. Once it was going the A-4 used to zip along, but I do remember spending a good circuit or two getting up to speed.
No such issues with the P-100. We were flying from the much talked about grass strip at Florida jets. Something that I think may have presented a challenge to a P-60 powered A-4. Especially with those less than huge main wheels, and that tiny nose wheel.
Start up on the 100 was the usual jet cat non event. A smooth and seamless Kero ignition and quick ramp up to idle speed. I took the time to have a little play with the throttle response whilst the model was taxying out. Deliberately letting it drop to idle on occasion and then banging it back open. I have owned a few "hot" small turbines that have not coped too well with this type of throttle application.... in fact one used to flame out if too aggressive a throttle input occurred. The P-100 throttled as smoothly and effortlessly as my P80SE, 120 SX and 160 SX's. No hint of flame, or rough combustion noise.
On the take off roll, I remember hitting a bump and worrying that the model may not be ready to get in the air ( Quite a fear with a small winged, highly loaded jet) Nothing to worry about as the extra urge from the turbine hauled the little A-4 off the turf and skyward at an angle which I was not used to seeing a TAMS A-4 assume straight after take off.
It was quickly apparent that the P-100 had transformed this little scooter. Half stick gave a similar type cruise sped that I remember 3/4's achieving with my P70 powered version. Full stick produced verticals that were only limited by my eyesight. Top end speed was now at a point where I actually started worrying about over stressing the airframe. I dont mean this as a negative toward the model, its just that I had never seen an A4 go this sort of speed before.
All too soon the timer went, and it was time to land. There was a fair bit of pressure on me when it came to landing, as the previous pilot had gotten the wrong side of the drag curve and ended up damaging the U/C. After the ribbing that I had given him over it ( all in good jest of course) I just knew he would be in the crowds, just waiting for me to screw up.
A model like the A4 is one of those that really benefits from a linear and responsive throttle when it comes to landing. For a small plane, its surprising how much induced drag there is when you increase the angle of attack on final. To balance this drag, power is called for. At this stage there is nothing worse than a slow spooling turbine. In fact when I am asked about super quick spool up times, I always tell people, that the only time I really call for a quick spooling turbine, is on that final approach.
Well.... the P-100 was bang on the money. I could feel the difference in thrust as I was coming in, and it all felt as linear and as smooth as it gets, all of which I was assured were on what will be standard factory settings.
Upon shutdown, we ( Markus, Tam and I) were all surprised to look inside and see the third and last tank still full of fuel. I am not sure about the fuel capacity that we had, or the burn rate of the P-100, but I think that the fact that I was very rarely in the upper ends of the power curve meant we were far more conservative on fuel than expected.
Sorry for the non technical feedback. I am sure there are guys out there that will be able to crunch numbers and specs for those who want them when the turbine is released. I just wrote this from a laymans/ pilots point of view hoping that there would be some of you interested in my experiences. On the subject of release dates. When I spoke with Markus last Friday he told me that we should start seeing deliveries in June of this year. Not being involved in the design or construction of turbines, I have no idea how accurate this date will be. What i do know is that there is allot of interest in this little turbine, and that all at Jet cat are working as hard as possible to get it onto the market as soon as possible. We have already started taking pre orders
http://alshobbies.com/shop/search.php?Desc=p100
I have managed to get back orders in with the factory on the very first batch, so will try to keep RCU updated as I hear more.
Regards Al

Old 03-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Ali

Default RE: Jet Cat P-100 Flown ( feedback and photos)

The three stooges after a successful flight.
Markus Zipperer ( Turbine designer/ Jet cat owner )
Me ( Dumb thumbs )
Tam ( accounts )
Old 03-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Ali

Here is the complete install package. ( Minus mount and of course not inc perspex display stand)
This is all thats needed to go in your future jet [X(] Hell!, you can even leave out the yellow box with the LCD screen of you want, as thats the new micro ( On board GSU) After all, this is a JC... Really how often do you need the GSU

Edit... Oh oh.. Busted!!! Looks like I am going to have to get the C/C out and line the pockets of Mr Boto *****et Photos will have to wait till tomorrow I am afraid.. sorry.
Regards Al
Old 03-07-2011, 05:38 PM
H.Dale
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There were some pictures of Tam's plane on fire. Was that the one that had P-100 in it?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:58 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Ali stated he ribbed me on the first landing after I got too slow turning final. Bounced and broke the nose strut and bent the two main struts. Hey I deserved it and took it. That is what flying with jet buddies is all about and gives us something to laugh at when we sit at the bar. After Tam did his magic, the bird was ready to go again and Ali flew it. As he was on final I was wispering to myself..... screw it up, screw it up, screw it up, but to no alas he nailed the landing perfectly.

I flew it three more times with the last one ending in failure and a dead stick with a tail pipe fire. No issue to the airframe, a quick shot of the extinguisher and she was out and the airframe was fine. Tam and crew will fly her again at California Jets in a couple of weeks.

As Ali stated, the P-100 starts like a regular JetCat and is a non-event. Throttle response is what we all like, quick and true. Performance was very strong in the A-4 with some killer vertical shots and huge, huge loops. The one part that hit me on final was the residual thrust. The P-100 has half the residual thrust of the P-20! It is less than 4 oucnes, so non-existant to say the least. Another great note is the installed weight of 2.3 pounds! All that with 22.5 pounds of blow on board is unlike anything available.

This will be the motor of choice in the near future as Ali stated. Half the install weight of a P-80SE and a bit more thrust. Smaller in diameter as well, same diameter as the P-70 makes it one great little jewel.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Ali

ORIGINAL: H.Dale

There were some pictures of Tam's plane on fire. Was that the one that had P-100 in it?
A few people have asked the same question. Sorry, but I was not trying to ignore the issue.. It is true that the P-100 ended the event in a less than perfect state I didn't see what happened, all I know was that I came out to have another fly, and John had broken my ride... yet again [:@]
Again. I am not sure of the exact details of why the turbine let go, but I do know this was the only running proto that the jet cat guys had with them. Markus explained that although they dont really like testing to destruction ( especially in public ) but its one of those things that has to be done before production turbines are released. With a few months before the P-100's hit the shelves I am sure they will iron out any of the bugs. In the meantime, if they need someone who can test to destruction, then I know the perfect guy. His name is John [>:]
Fair play to J.R. He took the abuse ( and returned it) like a man, and it was just one of the many laughs we had at Florida Jets.
Regards Al
Old 03-08-2011, 06:35 AM
Olkajet

This engine is a must have.. I just have one single question to the new baby:
Why is the cable from ecu to engine mounted in the side ? It would be able to be an extreme slimline installation with this cable coming out in direction of the starter an fuel line. just my 10c

Happy owner of 2 P160 SX + 1 P160 SE
Old 03-08-2011, 07:17 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info Ali on the P100. Looks like I found the next turbine for my 1/8 scale F-16.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:18 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Olkajet

Why is the cable from ecu to engine mounted in the side ? It would be able to be an extreme slimline installation with this cable coming out in direction of the starter an fuel line. just my 10c

Happy owner of 2 P160 SX + 1 P160 SE [img][/img]
If it can't come out of the starter the side is better if you plan on using a FOD screen.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Olkajet

Hi Andy,

Correct, didnt thinkabout that. But how about placed where it is, but facing to the front of engine?
Or a cabelplug with 90 degre angel?

/Ole

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

If it can't come out of the starter the side is better if you plan on using a FOD screen.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 AM
readyturn
My Feedback: (9)

Hi Andy,

Correct, didnt thinkabout that. But how about placed where it is, but facing to the front of engine?
Or a cabelplug with 90 degre angel?

/Ole

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

Ithnk that Olkajet has a great idea for JetCat that would be very easy for them to incorporate into production. No mods to the engine, just a connector change. Great idea!!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:47 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is going to be good, thanks for the heads up on the pre-orders Ali, my name is down on your list.

Mike
Old 03-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Ali

Hi Mike,
Iam back at work today, and saw your order.. Thankyou very much. You are number 2 out of 6 so far ( not including my own ) I doubt I will be getting any from the first batch at this rate
Great idea with the plug placement guys. I like the way this works out on a P20. My only fear is that it would put the cable closer to the compressor. Whereas the 90 deg out plug allows you to route the cable away from the front of the turbine..
I will bounce the idea to Markus anyway, and see what he thinks.
Here is a photo of the 100 above the diminutive P20 for size comparison. This will look like your bench soon Mike
Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

I love the new case with the integrated recess so the mount has a positive lock to the turbine. Very cool design and the numbers so far look good.

What is going to be the US price, $2499.00, $2599.00 ?
Old 03-08-2011, 09:41 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ali

I doubt your bench ever gets as messy as mine, can't seem to work up the enthusiasm to clear it when I have other interesting things to do.

This P100 would be ideal for the Mach 1.

Mike
Old 03-08-2011, 03:21 PM
AVIOJET

Tam, sorry for the incident with your beautiful A-4

BR

Jesus
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19234.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	1575558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94089.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1575559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34365.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	1575560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo34852.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	1575561  
Old 03-08-2011, 05:20 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Looks like just a wire came loose on the connector to the motor, hmmm.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:29 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: Ali

Here is the complete install package. ( Minus mount and of course not inc perspex display stand)
This is all thats needed to go in your future jet [X(] Hell!, you can even leave out the yellow box with the LCD screen of you want, as thats the new micro ( On board GSU) After all, this is a JC... Really how often do you need the GSU

Edit... Oh oh.. Busted!!! Looks like I am going to have to get the C/C out and line the pockets of Mr Boto *****et Photos will have to wait till tomorrow I am afraid.. sorry.
Regards Al
Ali,
I'm guessing the on board lipo battery is somewhere in the picture I can't see? It does need one right?

Dave
Old 03-08-2011, 06:44 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

ORIGINAL: AVIOJET

Tam, sorry for the incident with your beautiful A-4

BR

Jesus
Those flames are actually the afterburner kicking in, one of the many new features of the P100. lol.

Hope it did not do much damage.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:57 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Yes Dave, you still have a LiPo on board to run things.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Ali

[/quote]
Ali,
I'm guessing the on board lipo battery is somewhere in the picture I can't see? It does need one right?

Dave
[/quote]

Doh!!! [&:]
Old 03-08-2011, 08:00 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ali

Ali,

Dave

Doh!!! [&:]
[/quote][/quote]
When is JetCat going to get with it and include an on board generator?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Synwpn
My Feedback: (1)

Available around summer? Hmmm! DHL just dropped off my smaller Skymaster F-4 2 hours ago. Sounds like this is going to be the perfect fit for it!
Old 03-09-2011, 03:10 AM
Ali

That small F4 is a perfect candidate for the P-100!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:11 AM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

ORIGINAL: Synwpn

Available around summer? Hmmm! DHL just dropped off my smaller Skymaster F-4 2 hours ago. Sounds like this is going to be the perfect fit for it!
Yes!!!!!! The small Skymaster F-4!!! Could you PLEASE post some pictures of your plane? I believe your Phantom would be a perfect fit for the 100!!

-S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.