Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fei Bao / RC Jet Models Rafale Build Thread by RCISFUN

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fei Bao / RC Jet Models Rafale Build Thread by RCISFUN

Old 07-17-2009, 05:54 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Fei Bao / RC Jet Models Rafale Build Thread by RCISFUN

I can report a successful flight of the refurbished Rafael at KY jets, Dom, Maj Woody flew it last Friday with great success.
The Eagle made a big difference, the only thing Dom said he needed was more elevator throw...but Dom can never get enough

I guess there are no more excuses I need to get our and try this thing out[X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31001.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1238370  
Old 07-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Rich

Good to hear. Boy I wish I could have been there with you.
Are you going to Cincnnati Jets?

I am going to be there on Fri. And Sat. I have to leave Sat night so I can be back for my Clubs Fun Fly

Joe L
Old 08-01-2009, 07:22 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Well I can report that I flew the Rafale today, what a new experience, this was my first delta wing jet flight.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect[X(]

The take off was the traditional sudden leap, but no problem as I had watched Maj. Woody when he flew it so I just relaxed the elevator and it leveled right out.

The airframe seems rock solid with no bad tendencies, I just flew around in a racetrack and figure eight pattern getting use to it.

Now for the landing, here again I didn't know what to expect....Wow does it slow down when you pull the nose[X(]

I didn't get on the throttle on time and I landed way short, I hit the nose wheel a bit hard and it sheared the steering pin clean off, then my nose drug on the asphalt for about 100 feet.

So other than a bit of a cosmetic repair on the bottom of the nose and a new steering pin all is good!

I think the next flight will be much better now that I got that out of the way

Old 08-01-2009, 09:42 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Congratulations Rich! Can't wait to see it fly.
You coming to the Nighthawks? You missed a good time in Cincinnati.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:59 AM
elapids1970

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Gentlemen :-)

I would be extremely grateful if somebody here who really knows about the FeiBao Rafale and has flown one sucessfully could help with the set up of this thing. The Rafale I got is an early serial #021 with a Simjet 2300 in it, that runs extremely well and starts easy. I didnt build the jet, but traded it for an aerobat as a ready to fly. Only thing I did was change over to 2.4g and replace a few air hoses and canisters.

As far as I know, that plane has never flown, except for one not-so-successful take off attempt, where it went off like champagne cork - I think you guys call that "brutal take off" ? The previous owner/builder had a few parts replaced, and it hasnt had a go since. They told me at FeiBao that thing is about 4 years or so old.

Question is, the deeper I dig, the more problems with that clipper are brought to attention, i.e flutter, hinges failing, will not rotate on take off.

I think its a great looking jet, that should by its design layout simply handle and fly great., however it requires a proper setup of throws and mixing etc, which I found so far impossible to find.

I have received throws, CoG etc from Catherine at FeiBao, and they differ by miles from the ones stated at the online manual, and I dont think anyone at FeiBao has ever flown one..its like pulling teeth to get reliable info from there.

Please guys, I would greatly appreciate some info on the setup...she is ready to go...just really dont want to hurt that engine in there if it bites the dust.

What I try to find out is: CoG correct at 130mm?
Does it need negative reflex (which sounds ok, if the canards create lift in neutral)?
Are the throws listed in the manual enough..i.e. 3mm low and 8mm high in AIL funktion?

It has everything stock from what I can see...standard elevon hinges (3 per side) - is that plane safe to fly with a mid-range turbine as the 2300 Simjet comes into, or are there known major problems with the design itself?

Thank you guys....hope someone can help :-)

Old 01-23-2010, 03:17 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

it sounds like you are doing the right thing, i.e. asking a lot of questions before attempting first flight, and this is exactly what idid...
Beleive that people have had differences as regards to this model but a few things are common:
A- Brutal take off if not set up properly.
B- Flutter problem if which can be resolved.
C- CG location varrying with depending on experience. Like for instance RCIFUN has 130mm while on mine i have 140mm + and feelcould go towards 145/150without issue at all.

Beleive my kit is from first FB generation and i am very happy to own this kit which in fact i have a second one in Camo scheme still NIB.

Will dig in my records to provide you with summery of my findings, tests i have run and best setups i ended up with.

Best regards,

Name:	Tr51770.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	1362089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75770.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	1362090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24028.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1362091  
Old 01-23-2010, 09:20 AM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a great thread about this plane on a french message board. The consensus CG appears to be 140mm.

As far as flutter is concerned, the manual now recommends 5 hinge points. Tam also recommends properly gluing the horn and connecting the pushrod such as the servo has a large mechanical advantage.

Abrupt take off are caused by (1) somewhat negative incidence to the ground and (2) a main landing gear which is too far behind the CG.

Some have shorten the main landing gear by 10-15mm and moved the retracts forward by 10-15mm to get it closer to the CG and report smooth take off.

Some change the canard incidence to raise the nose during take-off.

Finally, David Mosher here in California has many flights with his and reports that the plane is a lot more stable on yaw when the missile / tank rails are installed.

I plan to maiden mine tomorrow...

Arnaud

Old 01-23-2010, 12:56 PM
extra 300

Good luck Arnaud,

You got all the points discussed... One thing i found very helpful for rotation is having a 30 deg offset for the canards mixed with up elevator. Take offs are really smooth in less than 75 meters.
To prove this point, i forgot to flip the offset switch once and had same old brutal take off after a long run. It is only when i landed that i realized mymistake.

All the best...
Regards,
Dany
Old 01-23-2010, 05:50 PM
elapids1970

Morning Gents,

Good luck with that maiden flight Arnaud!! Thank you guys for your help and advise, which indeed is greatly appreciated.
Arnaud, please let us know how you go with it :-)

One very important point I would like to make about FeiBao jets in relation to my initial posting, is that it should under no circumstances be taken as discouraging or turn you off from buying, building and flying FeiBao jets - am just in the process to order myself the FeiBao MiG-15 from Marty at JetFX, who has also has been extremely helpful, depite the Rafale is years old, and was not even purchased through JetFX - great mob!!! :-)
FeiBao makes great looking jets, at unbeatable prices, and as with anything else that comes on the market new, they simply have a few teething problems at times, which are easily solved once known before attempting to fly - much harder to fix once on the back of a ute in pieces :-)

Thank you guys

Cheers,
Mazz
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 AM
PeterDays

Here is a video of a Tamjets/Fei Bao Rafale I took last year, and just uploaded

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwdv8k9WIQ8[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwdv8k9WIQ8
Old 01-28-2010, 09:39 AM
elapids1970

Hi Peter, thanks for uploading the vid...nice video. :-) Very interesting too..during the taxi after the flight, it looks that it has indeed "down elevator" reflex, as the manual says it needs..and quite a bit of it too...strange for a delta wing.

The guys here been very helpful, and so is the Australian FeiBao dealer....and looks like when it comes to CofG and and control throws, the slightly different opinions average out nicely. Still not certain though what to do with the canards and reflex issues though.

Thanks Peter....Cheers
Old 01-31-2010, 11:41 PM
acw

Because of weather, I finally maidened my rafale today. During the first take-off the left tire left its rim. The gear did not retract properly although it was working on the ground. I suspect the airflow is not helping gears retracting toward the front of the plane. Finally, the small pin that holds the right leg got loose and I lost the right leg on landing....

The first landing was slow and high alpha. Despite one missing tire and one missing leg, the plane only suffered some scratches on the right missile rail. The leg was reattached immediately with a 4/40 bolt and I have ca'd the tire back on. I flew another 3 times. Here are my observation:

- I set my CG at 138mm and it feels pretty good to me.
- With that CG I used the low rate on aileron (as recommended in the manual) but high rate on elevator.
- I got the jump in the sky take-off, but that wasn't that bad. I'm experimenting with giving the canard about 15 degree of incidence for the takeoff mode. The plane flies high-alpha pretty well like this.
- I'm using an UP-2 valve and I could not get the gear to retract properly once. The timing is different in the air and further, the valve just loses air during actuation. I had a similar problem with an UP-3 valve in another plane and plan to replace it with a Dreamworks 5 function electronic multi valve. It appears that up valves (UP-2 / UP-3) don't handle setups with more than 3 doors. This is my experience so far.
- During the 4th flight, I flew with the big wing tanks. They add quite a bit of drag but the plane looks awesome with them
- With the stock tanks and a JetCat 120, plan on a 5pm flight. I do 6mn but I have a 4th safety tank.

Overall, this is a great jet. I can't wait to fly it again with a working gear valve / door sequencing.

Arnaud

Old 02-01-2010, 02:56 AM
extra 300

Arnaud,

Congratulations for your maiden!! Besides added drag did you feel any tendancy with large tanks in pitch axle or flight trim was unchanged??
Did you modify installation of those tanks or you just bolted them in place?

Thanks, Regards,
Dany
Old 02-01-2010, 09:49 AM
acw

The large tanks add some drag and some lift. I remember adding a few clicks of down trim in both flight and landing mode.

The tanks are secured with some velcro and some pieces of plywood. I have a small 12oz? platic tank on top of the main one.

Arnaud
Old 02-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Rush!

RCisfun....  Great build thread... and a great manual.....  i'm new to turbines and was wondering how much i would need to put aside to put together this plane?  I have been flying 90mm EDFs and wanted to get into turbines. 

One of the main reason i am looking at the rafale is RC Jet models has it for 810USD as a package....  (to good to be true?)

http://rcjetmodels.com/index.php?_a=...&productId=302

I'm not entirely sure but the way i read it is that for 810USD, the package includes the airframe with
    [*]Dual wall tailpipe[*]Retract set[*]struts, wheels, & brakes[*]check valve,fuel plug and T fuel fittings[*]Jetronics door sequencer[*]3(ea) 48" servo extensions[*]4(ea) 36" servo extensions[*]Air accessories kit[/list]with the K160 (37# thrust) coming out, and assuming favorable reviews on the turbine, this looks to be a very good deal... 

Appreciate your inputs to help me get into turbines....

Regards

Rob

Old 03-01-2010, 11:14 AM
JKEpps

Rob,

RCISFUN (his name is Rich) is on the road driving for quite a few hours (like 20+) heading to Florida Jets, so it might be a while before he replies.

-Jorden
Old 03-08-2011, 05:30 PM
dunkindeno

Can anyone tell me what is this camo and flag?
thanks Dennis

Name:	Pn36115.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1575620  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:40 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: dunkindeno

thanks Dennis
I'm thinking that it's supposed to be for Jordan. They have used a cream/brown/green camo and the insignia is almost correct. The bottom stripe on the flag and the center of the roundel should be green (not black). I have seen a few photos where (depending on the sun angle) the green looks pretty dark.

Incidentally, the Royal Jordanian Air Force doesn't have Rafales, they've got F-16's.

Regards,

Jim

Name:	Tr49231.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	1575866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90698.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1575867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95270.gif
Views:	56
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	1575868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj64321.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	1575869  
Old 03-09-2011, 02:42 PM
dunkindeno

Thanks for that Jim I think you are right
regards
Dennis
Old 03-09-2011, 02:48 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Gee Pierre,

Aren't you just a fountain of information!

Beave

ORIGINAL: rcjets_63

ORIGINAL: dunkindeno

thanks Dennis
I'm thinking that it's supposed to be for Jordan. They have used a cream/brown/green camo and the insignia is almost correct. The bottom stripe on the flag and the center of the roundel should be green (not black). I have seen a few photos where (depending on the sun angle) the green looks pretty dark.

Incidentally, the Royal Jordanian Air Force doesn't have Rafales, they've got F-16's.

Regards,

Jim
Old 02-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Rush!

Guys,
Just built and maidened The feibao Rafale! I also experienced the brutal takeoff with it jumping into the air... but just push the nose down and it was fine. I havnt been able to get the setting right yet as i flew with gear down and that will come with more flights.... My CG is around 138mm, but i feel it can be moved back as it is dropping the nose on turns.
On the throws, I used high throws to fly and full canards. I found the low rates to be insufficient to move the plane quick enough. But i also use expo so i am not sure if the throws in the manual are supposed to be used w/o expo or not.
Also, My Canards are linked to D/R and Trim of the elevators. Do you guys couple the canards with the elevator trims also? I am not sure of this at the moment if i should have linked the two.
Additionally, how long do you guys fly? I have a 120SX in mine.... i flew 4.5 minutes on the maiden and was surprised to see it had consumed all 3 tanks (92 oz) completely. I think my 120SX might have an issue and will ask on the jetcat forum.
Thanks!

Name:	pn36102.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	1724012  
Old 02-06-2012, 08:32 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Your C.G is too nose heavy because of these problems you have.

1. jump off into the air during take off rotation even if you have positive incident angle on the nose. use mid-range canard or turn it off during take off. It will rotate more gently if you have C.G right on.

2. nose tips in turn

3. use a lot of canard.

4. use a lot more fuel. even a 1 degree positive trim will consume 5-10% more fuel because of induced drags.

The factory C.G setting is way too conservative. Move it back a lot more and you will solve the problem. try 15 mm at a time. As you move back more, your control setting will become more sensitive. this is normal because you don't need a lot of control to pitch the nose. adjust your D/R accordingly. Try expo at 25% to damp off the sensitivity in the center area of the control, but don't use too much expo or your landing will be wobbling. Use D/R instead.

Put canard trim and elevator trim in separate setting so you can trim both of them in flight.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the flights.

Mike
Old 02-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Rush!

Thanks Mike, 

What C.G. are you guys using with this plane?  almost all of the threads i have read uses 130-140mm for the C.G.  Is there a mathemetical way of determining the CG so i can determine a CG range so i dont inadvertently put the CG to far back?  Appreciate if any links could be provided.  

I will try to assign the canard trims to flap trims.... i've never used flap trims so i'll need to experiment a bit with my 11X.  

Thabnks again! 
Old 02-07-2012, 01:11 AM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

try 145 and use DR. Mathematically it's at 140 but with fuel tanks in front of it, your fully loaded take off C.G is at about 120-125. measure that. IF so, then you are nose heavy. 145 will help, and then move back slowly. It's a delta so it won't stall or snap on you. You will find out it's easier to land slow too.

Mike
Old 02-07-2012, 02:49 AM
Rush!

Thanks Mike, 

Really appreciate the input...  

Pondering over it, if mathematically, the CG is at 140mm, empty with gears down, i cant move it back significantly as it will behave poorly once the fuel is consumed....  The more logical  solution is moving the fuel tanks somehow so that they dont have such a nose heavy effect when it is filled with fuel.... 

Is there an issue with placing fuel tanks next to the turbine exhaust/bellmouth area?  There is a lot of room there....  

Regards

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.