Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

30cc Edge 540 build

Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

30cc Edge 540 build

Old 02-18-2011, 01:58 PM
greg palmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 30cc Edge 540 build

Well I just finished mine up today, now I can't wait for a good day to give it a maiden flight.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:44 AM
HelividD
My Feedback: (1)

You will love the plane! I just finished my Ultimate from Aeroworks and am waiting for my ignition to come back from Hobby Services.

But, it is a very light, stable, but agile plane. I have my throws set low with plenty of expo(something Ijust learned needed to be done with airplanes also.. LOL) and it is now fun just to fly around as Iget used to it. Ihave done a few 1/2 rolling circles with it, but that is the extent of how far I have gotten, as Ihad an accident with a previous bi-plane(stupidity on my part and should have listened to the guys on this thread and just been patient for the weather to change) and have had just the general things of life and a household(not to mention it's winter here) keep me out of the air.

But you will love it!! Iknow I, as the rest here do theirs.....
Old 02-20-2011, 03:49 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

David,

It's about time you had some good luck with a bipe!

Don't get ruffled, but I bet that when your other bipe hit the neighbors house, it had to be one awesome impact![&:]
Must have been slightly airborne too?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:15 PM
HelividD

A1: no reason to get ruffled imho(I said what I did on the other thread about it and honestly, I don't have much more to say)..

The rolling circles were with my AW Edge. I have flown that one and tried a few things with it. I always could do KE's, but they were easier to hold, and the rolling circles(well, my 1/2 of them, as I have a spot that I need to work on, and I ended up, instead of rolling it back over, just flew a pass inverted from left to right).

My 20-300, I have yet to put in the air, or even start the motor. As mentioned above, I am waiting for my ignition. Besides, I am in no hurry. I do know that the 20-300 came in at 15lbs, but I have yet to add the ignition and carbon spinner, which should put it at 15lbs and approx 8 oz(i'm going to have my wife airbrush my spinner probably white with a blue swirl(aka: FW 190 style). The 20, also balanced first time on the balancer, at the rear cabane, and the extra 8oz, will probably bring it forward a little. However, the construction took a little longer than I thought, but it was fun and I am very, very satisfied with the larger plane at the same weight, the hardware, look, finish, quality, the ultracote(thank god for that stuff!!!!!) and overall, the plane in general(as much as one can be pre-first flight).

And to boot, the reason the shipping and weight is soo high that I found out, is that they line their shipment boxes in wood, in order to make sure nothing is damaged. Overall, very positive feeling when I saw that.

But, the Edge, it's going to be hard to fly my Funtana now, as I don't know if it's the simming or just the plane, but I love how the Edge flies. And with the gas versus glow on the Funtana, the Edge is much, much crisper to me, and it didn't want to either belly or canopy out heavily in KE. Inverted, required a tiny bit of up elevator on slow passes, as I don't know how to harrier inverted yet, but the upright harriers were manageable pretty easily for me at least. They weren't slow as I like, but, I would say with the curve I put on the throttle, that I was at probably the third tick on my throttle stick and just feeding it a little more or less, but she didn't want to dip out at all, and was nice and calm(I really wanted to try a hover, as it was feeling that good, but said I would just wait a little while longer until I am fully comfortable with looking at and controlling the plane with belly facing me). It flew nice though... I think as I got a few more flights on it, I became a lot less afraid of the speed, power and sound of it. I definately like it very much and is going to be tough to break away from it to go back to glow.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:06 PM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

HelividD where do you fly at would like to see your Edge
Old 02-25-2011, 04:25 PM
HelividD

PM me, and I'll give you the whole skinny...
Old 03-03-2011, 04:13 PM
flyin hy

I will be going back and reading everything in this thread and I may find my answer. While I am doing this please the following:
Ok. My maiden was today and what a flight. Not sure if it was tail heavy or just WAY too sensitive on the elevator. It jumped into the air very quickly and seamed to respond too quickly to inputs. May need to reduce low rate throws below AW recommendations. I also had the Pitts muffler bolts back out and kill the engine. So first flight was more than puckered! Have any of you noticed the fire wall being angled upwards? I looked at mine from across the room after removing the cowl and my engine seems to point upwards with the fuse being level.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:12 PM
bemeson

Sir,

I have a few questions before I can answer your primary question.

With the cowl on do you observed the prop washer to also be misaligned.

What engine are you using, standoffs, and spacers. Are they factory, home made, wood or metal.

Did you check the distance of the above items to see if they are all the same length...exactly to the mm.

Secondly, I have not looked at my plane, but I do not believe there is any up thrust on the firewall. I have flown my plane at aeroworks recommended throws and expo and the plane flies perfectly. A question I have for you is are you sure that your expo is correctly installed per your radio....ie futaba Hitec negative expo...I think JR is positive.

Dont get me wrong, you could have a plane that has a firewall that is installed incorrectly, but the way all the notches are installed in the firewall, I doubt it. I would check all the simple solutions first. Also Mark Dennis is at Aero-Works give him a call at 303-371-4222. He will be more than happy to offer you help.

Brian
Old 03-03-2011, 05:15 PM
tripower222

Not sure about the sesitive elevator. Im going to guess if you ballanced well you like it better with more expo. I always fly with full rate flight controls with lots of expo I run like 65%. As for the engine didn't notice mine angled up. Did your prop flang come out in the center of the cowl hole. Also as far as bolts backing out try some of these they will not back off the work great for hight vibration. http://www.heico-lock.us/
Old 03-03-2011, 06:35 PM
HelividD

Hi, these guys are right about the checking to the mm. I never noticed with mine with any angle, but then, I simply measured from the firewall to the front mounting screws. I have learned much from them extremely quickly(both positive and negative)!

For the loosing of screws, red threadlock goes a long way(you have to of course not overdo it with the amount and to clean your screws first). I used blue at first on the Edge, and then turned around after a few screws vibrated out and used my red. If you get the right type, you don't have to worry about the heat either(just be sure to NOT get or use green, no matter what anyone says.. that stuff is permanent big time). But, I used red on everything except the prop and cowl screws, and even the blue I use is higher strength blue, and I use it liberally for my tastes, but the prop and everything is good and tight, and if need be, I can get the bolts out with a little heat of the torch on the screwhead. But, nothing has vibrated loose at all since I began this technique.

As for the sensitive controls, I know I am probably gonna get bit by people on here, but I actually purchased a book from Don's and one thing I walked away with(probably one of the most important things), was that, your rate throw is completely dependent, even with airplanes, on your skill level and also your comfort with the plane. You really, for basic and first flights, don't need a lot of throw, and AW, god bless them, their throws were wayyyy too much for me. I only am running 15 degrees on aileron and elevator, and I am trying to remember, but I think I am running 17 on the rudder, maybe a little less, but the control surfaces are very large and deflect "A LOT" for my flying skills, even at their low rates, so I simply turned them down a bit. I also was told as said above, "plenty" of expo in the correct direction. I have always run in the 60's for my heli's but I didn't know that you had to do the same when you fly planes. I haven't had that problem with my smaller models, but then, the surface area, etc is no where near these. But that is what smoothed out my Edge and it fly's like a completely different plane from when I was only running 30% expo and at the recommended low rates(I was getting like 45 degree takeoff angle and the elevator had me bobbing up and down, not to mention, on turns, when I did use ailerons, I was always knife edge). And, I am able and comfortable to do a lot more manuevers with these settings, and also just tool around the sky when I feel like just practicing things like straight and level flight, turns, etc. No where near the chest tightening, pucker feeling I had before...

Good flying to you, as it's a fun plane...

Here are the links to the threadlockers I use:

Red:http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/thread_compounds/a_threadlockers/auto_Permatex_High_Temperature_Threadlocker_RED.ht m

Blue:http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ocker_BLUE.htm
Old 03-04-2011, 02:42 PM
flyin hy

Thank you for your replys. I have re-mounted the cowl and the prop hub is vertically perpendicular to the cowl with the tell tail right sided thrust alignment. I hung it again with the AW Balancing Buddy and it was "DEAD" on. I have moved the RX pack (5-cell NiMH) forward of the gas tank. This gives me 4-5 degree down bubble. I like this much better for the next flight. This plane balanced the same with the gas tank 95% full as it did with the tank empty prior to moving the RX pack. I am looking to forward to the next flight and trust it will not be my last with this aircraft.
I plan on flying this plane at all of our travel points due to its size and appearance. I am sure that my previous situation was simply mis-balancing and not expecting the results. I am thankful my flying experience afforded me the ability to safely land this plane and re-examine my set-up.
I have also used Permatex high temp thread lock on the muffler bolts in my first attempt to keep them secure.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:37 AM
HelividD

I think mine is forward of the gas tank also, and that helped also.

And wow, that is weird that you used the Permatex and it came loose. But, I bet I know what it is, because it happened on my Edge. Not as bad, but when after I ran it a few times, I got a spit from the exaust to the cylinder head. I discovered that I simply could tighten the bolts a bit more onto the engine. I used the Blue at that point, and the locker was holding, but I am supposing "maybe" the heat and vibration of the engine caused it to loose. I don't know why I didn't use red in the first place and T handle wrench it down like I do with the helicopters, as this is a common thing with those motors as they rev soo high and the pressure is great, but I didn't at first. But, see if you can tighten it some more with the red on probably 1/4 of an inch of the bolt and you should be good.
And yes, that is a great thing that your skills allowed you to get the machine down in one piece! That "always" makes for a great day... These, unlike the heli's, don't crash very well I have found, LOL! I am sort of worried about my "summer" flying field, as it has ruts and things of that nature on our make shift runway. I hit one with my Funtana and it was ok, just didn't sound good for my tastes(more like a little thud, as I did the three pointer), but I needed to work on my landings anyhow. The Edge, on the runways I have flown it on, is really lofty and floaty, so I can bleed the speed pretty well before touchdown and still have great rudder control compared to the 125. I just have to remember those stupid ruts, and where they are, when it gets warm. :-)
Old 03-05-2011, 07:55 AM
bemeson

safety wiring your muffler is always a good approach
Old 03-05-2011, 05:12 PM
SSO

WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW THE AEROWORKS 30CC EDGE 540 AND THE 30 CC EXTRA STACKS UP TO THE EXTREME FLIGHT EXTRA 78 IN ARF? GETTING READY TO BUY ONE OF THESE, NOT SURE WHAT IS THE BETTER PRODUCT?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:21 PM
tripower222

Since my only experiance with the planes you mentioned is with the Aeroworks 30cc Edge I can't make comparisons. I can say the the AW 30cc Edge kit is a pretty high quality kit compared to most I have played with, and it flys great.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:01 AM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got the Edge done....Now for some good weather! Went together great and the fit and finish was superb! I put a DLE 30 with a Jtec muffler on it, with Li-ions for power.........Came in at 11 lbs 5 ounces.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37653.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1575902  
Old 03-09-2011, 08:41 AM
tom2bell

Very nice looks great I like the grafix
tom
Old 03-09-2011, 01:34 PM
SSO

THAT EDGE LOOKS GREAT! IVE DECIDED TO PURCHASE THE NEW 30 CC EXTRA 300. ITS DUE TO ARIVE 3/11/11. CANT WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON THIS ONE! A FRIEND OF MINE HAS BEEN PUSHING ME TO GET THE 78 IN EXTREME FLIGHT. BUT I WENT WITH THE AW INSTEAD. GOT THE FREE WING BAGS WITH IT . CANT GO WRONG WITH FREE STUFF!! ANYONE OUT THERE BUILDING ONE OF THESE ? IM THINKING ABOUT GOING ELECTRIC 2500 WATTS!! WOW
Old 03-16-2011, 08:19 PM
stone flyer

ORIGINAL: HelividD

And wow, that is weird that you used the Permatex and it came loose. But, I bet I know what it is, because it happened on my Edge. Not as bad, but when after I ran it a few times, I got a spit from the exaust to the cylinder head. I discovered that I simply could tighten the bolts a bit more onto the engine. I used the Blue at that point, and the locker was holding, but I am supposing ''maybe'' the heat and vibration of the engine caused it to loose. I don't know why I didn't use red in the first place and T handle wrench it down like I do with the helicopters, as this is a common thing with those motors as they rev soo high and the pressure is great, but I didn't at first. But, see if you can tighten it some more with the red on probably 1/4 of an inch of the bolt and you should be good.
Another thing you could do is mount the muffler with the threadlock and then run the motor right away. Once it gets warm shut it down and you should be able to tighten it a little more.

I have the 50cc version sitting down stair getting the final touches put on (can't wait to see it with the DA-60) and I like it so much already that I want to get the 30 as well. The hardware kit from aero-works alone amazed me. Built to last! I have a wild hare baby edge 540 and it would be interesting to compare.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:29 AM
bladebender

get the gold permatex for mufflers from auto supply you will never loose a muffler, make a gasket with it to, let set over nite and tighten up.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:53 AM
airborne2.4

I'm not sure what size washers you'll need, but you can't go wrong with this combo
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0129540
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I
http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...sket_maker.htm

Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 AM
stone flyer

ORIGINAL: airborne2.4

I'm not sure what size washers you'll need, but you can't go wrong with this combo
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0129540
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I
http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...sket_maker.htm

should be #10/M5 for the muffler, and 1/4 or m6 depending on the bolts you use for engine mounts

Old 03-19-2011, 08:21 AM
booboo71

When using a Rcexl opto gas kill switch do u still need an on / off switch? Thanks for any help!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:03 PM
stone flyer

ORIGINAL: booboo71

When using a Rcexl opto gas kill switch do u still need an on / off switch? Thanks for any help!
If you think about it, the opto kill switch is suppose to cut power to the ignition if the receiver is turned off or shuts down. In theory you wouldn't need an on/off switch. But I wouldn't want power always going to the kill switch so I would use an on/off switch. In my planes I do.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:37 PM
airborne2.4

But I wouldn't want power always going to the kill switch so I would use an on/off switch.....
Good point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.