Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

HPI HELLFIRE Problems!!! Help!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

HPI HELLFIRE Problems!!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:38 AM
holeshot1188

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI HELLFIRE Problems!!! Help!

I recently purchased an HPI Hellfire SS.Everything looked to be in good shape but was far from good shape when I tore it down!I have had one problem tht I cant seem to figure out.I first started the truck up and began to drive it around.But it was only driving the front of the truck FWD.So I went to the shop and tightened the rear drive line to the rear diff.Took the truck back out and I had 4wd for about 2 min.After 2 min the truck stopped moving forward with the engine running, clutch spinning, and the center diff spinning! (when throttle applied)What could the problem be?? Anything would help! Thanks
Old 03-04-2011, 10:40 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HPI HELLFIRE Problems!!! Help!

is the center diffs gears good?
Old 03-04-2011, 01:44 PM
scottyboi

hi to all i have a hoped up hpi evo rush i upgraded the engine from standerd t15 to a g3.0 i know this engine has much more torgue as i need it for where i use my car problem is i have stripped 3 drop down gears in the gear box have ordered new ones also orderd a firestorm gearbox to see if i can make mine stronger i hope!! dose anyone know how to get around this prblem i am going to try slackin slipper cluch this weekend and try set car up but would be much better if there was a more bulky fix to this problem
Old 03-04-2011, 03:29 PM
holeshot1188

Yea had the center diff apart all gears looked fine! it was a little dry but i replaced all the diff oil with 15000 weight!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:17 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: holeshot1188

Yea had the center diff apart all gears looked fine! it was a little dry but i replaced all the diff oil with 15000 weight!
You might as well check the front and center diffs, you could have stripped the ring and pinion gears. With the diffs out and drivelines attached,check the driveline CVD joints for wear. The small pins inside the joint can wear (notch)and ruin your dayif they decide to break.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:25 PM
holeshot1188

alright i will definatly take the diffs out! but the weird thing about it all is it went from first being only front wheel drive to being 4 wheel drive then being no drive at all so i just dont know how both diffs could have broke at the same time, and the way the drive shafts tie in to the diffs is weird! the cup from the drive shafts are round, and the diff end is rectangle with the ends being rounded! when the truck was just front wheel drive i checked out the rear drive assemblywhere it met the diff and tightened the set screw to it as much as i could and it gave the truck 4 wheel drive! I just am having a hard time finding out where the problems coming from!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:47 PM
stussman

Take it from my experience. The hellfire sux. The ss has some good points but many bad points.The hellfire pinions/crown are crap. They wear out very easy. The grub screws in the driveline falling out are a common problem resulting in no drive. The small pins in the cvd joints break easily as said above. The plastic diff cups are weak to and can result in your inner diff gears moving apart resulting in no drive.
I replaced my hf diffs with gst diffs which are heavy duty and never wear out even using modded os28s. You need to lower your clutch bell size 1 or 2 teeth if you do change to the gst diffs. The diffs fit inside the hf diff cups making an easy swap over. I got mine off ebay cheap. Best upgrade ever. There is a post in this section on the gst diffs if you search.
I found it very hard to keep my hf going. Always had something small go wrong with it. Goodluck and let us know if you sort out the issue.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:30 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: stussman

Take it from my experience. The hellfire sux. The ss has some good points but many bad points.The hellfire pinions/crown are crap. They wear out very easy. The grub screws in the driveline falling out are a common problem resulting in no drive. The small pins in the cvd joints break easily as said above. The plastic diff cups are weak to and can result in your inner diff gears moving apart resulting in no drive.
I replaced my hf diffs with gst diffs which are heavy duty and never wear out even using modded os28s. You need to lower your clutch bell size 1 or 2 teeth if you do change to the gst diffs. The diffs fit inside the hf diff cups making an easy swap over. I got mine off ebay cheap. Best upgrade ever. There is a post in this section on the gst diffs if you search.
I found it very hard to keep my hf going. Always had something small go wrong with it. Goodluck and let us know if you sort out the issue.
I know that you have been running the HF for a long time, but I disagree with you. I blew a few diffs (only the ring/pinion and never the spyder gears)before I learned the right way to shim these diffs. Since then, never blew a diff and this was with a .28.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:37 AM
MCF-001

The HellFire was winning out of the box 4 years ago. They have aged but in my opinion are one of the best truggies out. Hpi has rummored that there maybe a lipo brushless in the works. We'll see.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:29 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MCF-001

The HellFire was winning out of the box 4 years ago. They have aged but in my opinion are one of the best truggies out. Hpi has rummored that there maybe a lipo brushless in the works. We'll see.

the Hellfire wasn't winning anything 4 years ago.....
Old 03-07-2011, 02:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hpi has rummored that there maybe a lipo brushless in the works. We'll see.
Yea and with how HPI has been doing it recently it won't be released ever in North America
Old 03-07-2011, 06:52 PM
MCF-001

Why all the negativity? You wouldn't have come here if you didn't, deep down, love the HPI HellFire. Anyway I love mine and everyone has a brain therefor an opinion. I will respect that. One love.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:12 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why all the negativity? You wouldn't have come here if you didn't, deep down, love the HPI HellFire. Anyway I love mine and everyone has a brain therefor an opinion. I will respect that. One love.

LOL.... I might not care for the Hellfire the same way you do..But dam i gotta admit your response was priceless.... so keep on truckin bro !!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:44 AM
MCF-001

One Love.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:17 AM
sleeper341

I still have a Hellfire. I love it too. Yes there are flaws, I used to chew up diffs all the time (I know they weren't shimmed as well as they should have been) But like Stussman, I upgraded to GSTdiffs and haven't had a problem since.

There are more of us HFowners out there. Join us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/h...group_activity