Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Increasing Traxxas' VXL ESC 3S Cell Limit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 07:13 AM
Matt_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increasing Traxxas' VXL ESC 3S Cell Limit?

I have a brand new Traxxas Mini Rally VXL as of tonight.

OK, long story short, I have 6S worth of battery under the hood. Traxxas limits me to 3S. So I get a red flashing light and no circuit.

I know 6S is too much for this ESC, hence the non-response from ESC. But, I just want to cook this thing and throw a new ESC + motor in it when done.

I heard someone say that there is a trick, you can bypass a connection inside the ESC by soldering possibly and rid the voltage limit. The guy who told me this may have made it up for all I know. So can anyone possibly confirm or deny the story?

I just want to cook some factory motor without having to wait days on an order to show up and be installed.

Cheers
Old 11-25-2010, 07:22 AM
cooldriver385

Default RE: Increasing Traxxas' VXL ESC 3S Cell Limit?

Why waste it? Sell it on the Bay dude. Or you could've just bought a roller. What a waste of perfectly good equipment. But anyhow, I've never heard of such a story.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:11 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: cooldriver385

Why waste it? Sell it on the Bay dude. Or you could've just bought a roller. What a waste of perfectly good equipment. But anyhow, I've never heard of such a story.
agree the story about bypassing it by soldering sounds like royal BS

Also agree about ebay the mini vxl ESC is going for almost $60 most days, and the motor around $25
Old 11-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Matt_M

What a waste of perfectly good equipment. But anyhow, I've never heard of such a story.

OMG Dude, another guy spending money in ways I can't afford to do...he must be soo dumb.

If I want to check a Traxxas' resistance to high-powered rifle bullets I will do so when I please. Just because you would not do it doesn't mean there is something wrong with the idea. We just play in different ways. Close minded ppl and their forceful ways of thinking never ceases to stir me up.

I bought this because I have been driving the thing on 3 cells. But, if I can modify the ESC to allow me to run it on 6S, I'm saying, it would be worth it to me to risk burning up a cruddy Traxxas ESC so that I can witness the car driving, without waiting 5 days for an order to show up. In my situation, I would burn up $60, plus a trip to the post office, packaging, and the time required to photo and list an auction, and wait for it to end on eBay, just to see my car rip down the road on 6S. I guess what that comes down to is me craving to see some R/C equipment run for a trade of my money, something we are already known for doing quite often enough in this hobby. For some reason, that is not alright with somebody that I have such cravings.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:21 AM
cooldriver385

Well the way I've been raised and I'm also only 15, I've been trained to not waste things. So if it were me, I probably would've bought the Rally and the system you wanted at the hobby store (my local hobby shop has everything I've needed plus tons more). Then I would've sold the VXL system and motor and dropped in whatever system you bought. Money is a precious thing to me at this point in time. As you can see down at my signature, I only have 3 models. Why? Because money is hard for me to get. But none of that is important. Like I said earlier, I've never heard of being able to do that. Try Googling it. Maybe something will pop up.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Matt_M

Well, I agree, money should not be wasted. But in certain situations, I will gamble with things just for the sake of experimentation. Experiments can fail quite often, so you can't really be an experimenter in the R/C world without wasting money at times. The problem was that I couldn't buy the brushless system that day that I needed, because I didn't have enough in the checking account I was using. Now I transferred some more over, and I am thinking about running to the hobby shop right now to buy a different brushless system.

So anyways, let's forget about the first idea of dealing with the Traxxas stuff. What would be one hell of a speed setup to put in the Rally to run on 6S? The hobby shop does have a lot of setups. I need a lower KV rating, for that much voltage so I don't run the motor over 45,000RPM. Then I need to grab the biggest pinion available for this setup. I hope that the plastic drive shafts will hold up, but I will replace them quickly with steel if they do fail.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:29 AM
joeseif

ORIGINAL: Matt_M

What a waste of perfectly good equipment. But anyhow, I've never heard of such a story.

OMG Dude, another guy spending money in ways I can't afford to do...he must be soo dumb.

If I want to check a Traxxas' resistance to high-powered rifle bullets I will do so when I please. Just because you would not do it doesn't mean there is something wrong with the idea. We just play in different ways. Close minded ppl and their forceful ways of thinking never ceases to stir me up.

I bought this because I have been driving the thing on 3 cells. But, if I can modify the ESC to allow me to run it on 6S, I'm saying, it would be worth it to me to risk burning up a cruddy Traxxas ESC so that I can witness the car driving, without waiting 5 days for an order to show up. In my situation, I would burn up $60, plus a trip to the post office, packaging, and the time required to photo and list an auction, and wait for it to end on eBay, just to see my car rip down the road on 6S. I guess what that comes down to is me craving to see some R/C equipment run for a trade of my money, something we are already known for doing quite often enough in this hobby. For some reason, that is not alright with somebody that I have such cravings.
Yes you can do what ever you want to your stuff. But remember some of us have to save up for weeks or mounths to get the system your destroying just for the sake of destroying it. We could have bought it off you on the bay for less then retail and got our hands on it sooner, but instead of selling it and helping someone out (in a way) your just going to wreck it. That hurts too see. I have a car that needs a motor and speed control sitting on a shelf. It has been there for almost a year. My kids would love it if had it running and so would I. But we can't afford it right now. Just thinking that some one is going to distroy someone I have been longing for is not fun to say the least. It would be cool to see the truck fly for a few short minutes till it dies, yeah. But what would be cooler would be seeing the smiles on my kids face when I tell him we have the buggie running and that buggie would run for years with that system in it.
So do what ever you want. Wrech you stuff, but remember some of us can't afford that stuff and seeing or hearing about how someone destroys it kind of rubbs it on our faces. If you want to see electricity destory someone cool I'll trade you an airbag for that set up and the airbag will make a cooler bang and be faster I promiss!
Old 11-27-2010, 01:42 PM
cooldriver385

Sounds like a great idea! And agreed on that one joseif.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Matt_M

I ordered a 1/10 scale motor mount for the rally. This is going to be fun. It's going to be fun because I am installing an electric motor in this vehicle that makes about 6 horsepowerand is used in 1/8 scale typically. I currently have twin 3s 2200mah packs mounted, which is the most battery power I have yet seen stuffed into a mini. I have a 43 tooth spur and a 47 tooth pinion on the way to me. Yes the pinion is bigger than the spur gear. I read that the mini revo record is at 90.x mph currently. I want to beat that and I believe the new Rally is the perfect vehicle to do it with.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:04 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you are going to gun it and snap every drive chain component in it simultaneously.
I'd also be scared to tax the batteries like that. I'm sure if they are able to fit in the mini traxxas battery compartment their amp draw is no where capable of supplying the power for that BL setup.
But hey its your money just take vids, and be sure to post em
Old 11-27-2010, 05:15 PM
cooldriver385

Lol, the Tenbol plate? I've seen some nasty vids of that beast in the 1/16 E-Revo.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:19 PM
savagecommander

as for the initial question, youd have to see how the board is layed out, and what type of voltage regulator it uses. i'd bet dollars to cents traxas has some kind of software on the chip that reads voltage from the battery input, and has a hard wired yes/no command for arming. im sure the fets could handle 20v at least. theres ways to re wire eight battery TX's to a four battery style, but i dont think this kind of "mod" is as simple as its said.

then again, i think this whole deal is hype- i talked to the LHS about one of these and he told me the same thing.... i asked him if he meant series or parallel and he had no idea what i was talking about. odds are, its BS.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Matt_M

Yes! I am using the Tenbol mount plate. A beast of a setup it is indeed.

I am replacing nearly every part on the rally with a hop up. I am now going to replace all drive train components with metal before running. I am going to do a video showing the rally morph, piece-by-piece, from a stock vehicle, to the most heavily modded rally you will likely see. The master parts order occurs this friday. Stay tuned!

Btw, about the batteries. They certainly don't fit in the Traxxas battery boxes. They are mounted on the sides of them. They still remain under the body, which its what makes the Rally such a great vehicle for a speed project. See, the mini Revo could never get that much battery under the shell, because of the smaller truck body. I am using MaxAmps 2200mah packs rated for 60C. Certainly no shortage of energy for that large brushless motor.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Matt_M

Here is a photo of the battery positions:

Old 03-06-2011, 06:25 PM
domestikrice

sounds like a wicked setup would like to see her go when its done but jus for the record castle creations bb mini revo was clocked at 108 mph
Old 03-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Matt_M

Yeah this thread was pretty dead but...

108MPH, finally a number that helps make what I'm doing at least half of a challenge.

For the record, I want to destroy 108MPH.

I've come a long way since I posted this thread.

The hardest part about this whole fiasco is finding somewhere to drive it. I have been looking for a wide open asphalt area, with enough length and width, and a high vantage point for radio distance. I'm starting to get the idea that I may have to chase the vehicle in a car, and pull away to get the speed. I am very afraid of what happens when radio range runs out, and a car is blind driving 100MPH+.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:45 PM
cch1978

108MPH, finally a number that helps make what I'm doing at least half of a challenge.

The hardest part about this whole fiasco is finding somewhere to drive it. I have been looking for a wide open asphalt area, with enough length and width, and a high vantage point for radio distance. I'm starting to get the idea that I may have to chase the vehicle in a car, and pull away to get the speed. I am very afraid of what happens when radio range runs out, and a car is blind driving 100MPH+.
Man that is sick, what motor and esc are you running?
Old 03-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Matt_M

The motor is a custom NEU with over 6HP (8mm shaft) and the speed control is a high amp Castle.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:36 PM
sloppyG

you sure the hardest part wasn't photoshopping that motor onto that chassis,

that picture looks off......
Old 03-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Teknic
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

you sure the hardest part wasn't photoshopping that motor onto that chassis,

that picture looks off......
haha exactly, you can tell that's photoshopped from a mile away!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Matt_M

I tried really hard to photoshop this custom 50 tooth pinion for the 8mm shaft speed project that does not exist. Lol

Old 03-10-2011, 02:53 PM
NitroNuisance

I didn't read this entire thread so idk if this has ben answered but all u have to do I believe is shut off the lipo cutoff unless it just won't run on 6s period. That's what I do to run 4s. The only thing is not to run ur packs to low since there won't be a cutoff. I'm fairly certain you'll break or fry something long before u run out of battery on 6s though.lol
Old 03-10-2011, 05:18 PM
savagecommander

The motor is a custom NEU with over 6HP (8mm shaft) and the speed control is a high amp Castle.
what series is the motor? and which castle ESC did you use?
Old 03-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Teknic
My Feedback: (1)

I tried really hard to photoshop this custom 50 tooth pinion for the 8mm shaft speed project that does not exist. Lol
So having a 50 tooth pinion somehow proves you didn't Photoshop the motor onto it?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:20 AM
NitroNuisance

I agree, the photo does look a little fishy.lol Maybe you should post some video's to put our skepticism to rest. And I personally don't see anyone "crushing" that 108mph with this 1/16 chasis. I don't have the ralley but I d have a slash and when it reaches like 70mph it's a handfull and tends to want to flip. I'm sure the ralley has more downforce and better earodynamics but stil. 108mph is pretty dang fast for a mini! I'd love to see you prove me wrong though with some real video footage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.